View Full Version : Double leg vs. single leg takedown

Kimura
12-02-2002, 12:39 AM
I personally prefer the double, but you're left in a more vulnerable position to be guillotined. The single leg is good if you're good at tripping, but the double has a lot more power in the drive. Which do you prefer?

seldomTap
12-02-2002, 12:47 AM
Depending on the opponent and what they give you.

A lot of strikers leave themselves open to double legs IMO by coming straight ahead. They aren't ready for it a lot of the time and are just waiting to be lifted and slammed.

Single legs work well with a grappler, you will avoid the guillotine and be in a better spot to recover if it goes wrong

VulgarTheClown
12-02-2002, 01:12 AM
i dunno i'm lucky enough to (most of the time) be able to pick up and slam from either single or double with little to no strain

all in all i like the double more

but as seldom said they are harder to get on grapplers.

James Fulton
12-02-2002, 04:33 AM
I like the double leg more, but I get the single more often because I like to work from the clinch.

handjobs4dollars
12-02-2002, 01:27 PM
I perfer double. Its easy to escape a guillotined.

Napol
12-03-2002, 03:25 AM
i like the double. as soon as i grap them, if im having any problems getting them down....ill just try and tackle them. any way to get them down will be good for me. i like being on the ground. i feel more comfortable. hopefully soon i will be takin classes with my buddies.

krikit
12-03-2002, 03:09 PM
i do like the single trip takedown , but the double leg is great also :)

Bad Boy USA
12-03-2002, 03:34 PM
There's no reason why you should get guillotined from a double leg it your head is buried against the hip or into the abdomen.

I don't believe there's such a thing as choosing between a single or double on any particular shoot, meaning if you do one you can't do the other. Once you secure one leg, a single can easily become a double and vice versa. Just watch out for crossfaces that'll break your neck, that's all.

handjobs4dollars
12-03-2002, 05:33 PM
Oh i hate getting the cross face. The forearm across the face kills.

ParazIT
12-04-2002, 04:49 PM
I shoot...if I get a single I go for it, if I get a double I go for it, if I get the back I try suplex or something....

DOGGx0
12-04-2002, 06:17 PM
i look gor a single leg. i am a smaller guy, so i can't pick up the weight of a big boy. i got some power that i pack, so i go for 1, throw them off balance, and then work the ground.

if i go for both, i find myself struggling to get them on the ground and by that time..... i am getting clobbered by this ****, with stomach on the ground, and him getting complete back control.

miller8966
12-05-2002, 01:22 PM
no gi i like the double, but with a gi the single to me at least is better

Magic Man
12-15-2002, 09:07 PM
I prefer single, because it's less vulnerable, easier against bigger guys, not as suceptible to a sprawl and quite frankly, it allows me to get into a good leg humping position after.

- m

Itfihtr
12-16-2002, 01:45 AM
[quote:6dd4b72cd6="Bad Boy USA"]There's no reason why you should get guillotined from a double leg it your head is buried against the hip or into the abdomen.

I don't believe there's such a thing as choosing between a single or double on any particular shoot, meaning if you do one you can't do the other. Once you secure one leg, a single can easily become a double and vice versa. Just watch out for crossfaces that'll break your neck, that's all.[/quote:6dd4b72cd6]your head shouldt be in crotch anyway,what ever knee that is up your head shoud be on that side of the thigh!
and if were talking MMA or wrestling,they should all be set up...

Purity
12-17-2002, 12:32 AM
i've always gone for the double. i don't compete so i'm referring to street fights. with that in mind, i'm not too worried about a guillotine.
i just feel more in comfortable with both legs in my control

VulgarTheClown
12-17-2002, 12:38 AM
i actually got choked out for the first time in 6 months today. my own fault ****in single leg shot left my neck out. to think i taught he kid the move to.

Kimura
12-17-2002, 01:12 AM
[quote:305f8ff3cc="VulgarTheClown"]i actually got choked out for the first time in 6 months today. my own fault ****in single leg shot left my neck out. to think i taught he kid the move to.[/quote:305f8ff3cc]You tapped to a guillotine? Shame on you Ben.

VulgarTheClown
12-17-2002, 01:16 AM
i know i know.

i chalk it up to today being my firsttime training in 6 weeks. thats ok though i got him with a knee bar from my guard. and idid it well to.

momita
12-17-2002, 12:30 PM
No, no shame on you, at least you know what you did that gave him the advantage. You left you're neck out. So in a real fight, you remember what you did and try not to let it happen again! The experience teaches you to expect the un-expected! And, you must have taught him well. :)

VulgarTheClown
12-17-2002, 12:35 PM
i did.

he trained under some TJJ guy before, and is still working with him (as ma i for the mean time till i finish saving up the years worth of money for the Sileira school) andi personally think TJJ lacks alot in the fluid defend youself area.

so when my buddy came to Judo with me and we did free sparring we would work on alot of stuff like that. I taught him all sorts of stuff.

momita
12-17-2002, 12:59 PM
and in return, he will teach you things! Rolling with other people gives you the chance to experience all different kinds of moves and techniques, everyone has something different to offer, use what you learn, then you will [b:5393851b6a]be[/b:5393851b6a] one of the fighters the boards talk about someday! Good luck to you :D

VulgarTheClown
12-17-2002, 01:02 PM
thnx momita.

True_Warrior4
12-20-2002, 01:54 PM
BOTH R GOOD

SubmissionWolf
12-26-2002, 04:40 PM
Double... all the way

The Ensanity
01-05-2003, 02:24 PM
SINGLE LEG

Dont have to worry about a gillotine. Use less strength. A lot of times you fall in their half guard(I love this position).

Desperado
02-28-2003, 06:59 PM
With smaller guy, I'll shoot for the single. With heavier opponents the double leg offers more insurance, stability and momentum. If you're sudden and unsuspected, than the gullotine is nowhere near thought of your opponent...unless his natural instinct and reflexes are sharp. Also...when going for a double, please keep your chin tucked.

submission_guy
03-30-2003, 07:01 AM
i made a 95kg guy cry with a double at my last rugby training. as a tacking parctice we have like a small square and the last person in the square wins, anyway i got a double legs and lander my shoulder right between his ribs, i surpirsed myself being able to lift him, my gym work has paid off :)

Magic Man
04-01-2003, 06:48 AM
single leg, imo it relies less on strength. unless you are beef-turkey with a double, it's difficult to land on a bigger experienced opponent.

Bluecifer
04-03-2003, 05:41 PM
I like the single, it just works better for me and sometimes you can go straight into a leglock.