View Full Version : Worst ever heavyweight champion

The Raging Bull
07-02-2006, 05:53 AM
Who do you guys feel is the worst ever heavyweight champion? I would go for primo carnera. The only thing he had going for him was his physical size. He was scared of getting hit and his punches were not as hard as they should of been.

Smashing
07-02-2006, 06:28 AM
If we are talking Undisputed...i would say Ingemar Johansson

micky_knox
07-02-2006, 07:50 AM
ruiz ..............

BAREKNUCKLES
07-02-2006, 09:25 AM
My vote is for Leon Spinx

micky_knox
07-02-2006, 09:41 AM
My vote is for Leon Spinx

he beat ali..........couldnt have been that bad.......could he?

im not familiar with his record nor have i seen any of his fights..

SABBATH
07-02-2006, 11:11 AM
My vote is for Leon Spinx Spinks had the potential to have been much better, but he got addicted to coacaine and his shoddy training habits ruined him as a fighter. His amateur career was 185-7 with 133 by KO's, capped of with the gold medal in the 1976 Olympics . Check out Leon's KO win over hard hitting #1 contender Bernardo Mercado on October 2, 1980, which may have been his best fight.

Yaman
07-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Spinks? No way.

KoolWillie
07-02-2006, 12:02 PM
Hasim Rahman rely's on his 1 hit

PATO 1
07-02-2006, 01:36 PM
any of these

Frank Bruno
Bruce Seldon
Trevor Berbick

micky_knox
07-02-2006, 02:24 PM
any of these

Frank Bruno
Bruce Seldon
Trevor Berbick
what the heck ever happend to seldon?
does he still fight

K-DOGG
07-02-2006, 02:59 PM
Who do you guys feel is the worst ever heavyweight champion? I would go for primo carnera. The only thing he had going for him was his physical size. He was scared of getting hit and his punches were not as hard as they should of been.

Leon Spinks was the worst by far. Carnera would have beaten him easily.

:Bobby:
07-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Vitali Klitschko should be up there, he only defended his title against Danny Williams and retired eleven months later after a potential fight with Rahman was postponed four times.

The Raging Bull
07-02-2006, 03:56 PM
Vitali Klitschko should be up there, he only defended his title against Danny Williams and retired eleven months later after a potential fight with Rahman was postponed four times.

Yer i agree hes up there.

paul750
07-02-2006, 03:57 PM
Vitali Klitschko should be up there, he only defended his title against Danny Williams and retired eleven months later after a potential fight with Rahman was postponed four times.Klitschko was a big strong akward fighter, i think he'd have beaten the likes of Seldon and Spinks, without a huge amount of bother.

Kid Achilles
07-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Seldon easily. His lack of any heart whatsoever as exhibited vs. a past his prime Tyson proves this.

The Raging Bull
07-02-2006, 04:19 PM
Do you think if danny williams gets a hold of the title he will be the worst ever? I sure do!

K-DOGG
07-02-2006, 04:21 PM
Seldon easily. His lack of any heart whatsoever as exhibited vs. a past his prime Tyson proves this.

Yeah, Seldon was pretty bad; but I still bet he'd have beaten the tar out of Spinks.

Yaman
07-02-2006, 04:41 PM
WHats the definition between a skilled champion ****ing up his career by retirement or something like it, and a champion considered a bum but still defending his title a few times and actually has some succes?

Like between Spinks and Vitali, no doubt Vitali would destroy Spinks wih ease..but he doesnt have a win over Ali wich makes Spinks somewhat great.

K-DOGG
07-02-2006, 04:51 PM
WHats the definition between a skilled champion ****ing up his career by retirement or something like it, and a champion considered a bum but still defending his title a few times and actually has some succes?

Like between Spinks and Vitali, no doubt Vitali would destroy Spinks wih ease..but he doesnt have a win over Ali wich makes Spinks somewhat great.

Oh, I wouldn't say that makes him great as much as that puts him in the right place at the right time. Ali was 36, and didn't take him seriously. He was 7-0-1. Timing was on his side...and hunger. I will give him that...he tried hard all night. He definitely wanted it.

blockhead
07-02-2006, 05:07 PM
primo carnera, nikolai valuev

Southpaw Stinger
07-02-2006, 06:02 PM
nikolai valuev

Time will tell on that one.

KMERCADO
01-28-2009, 08:03 PM
that fight was bull **** for the simple fact that That mother****er was on COC that night!! My father was supposed to win that fight!! for those of you who dont know this... Mercado had only 2 months to prep for that fight..

Southpaw16BF
01-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Dont' really like using the word ''Worse'' but if i had to pick see who shound't of been champions of the heavyweight division there's a few

.Jess Willard
.Primo Canera
.Leon Spinks
.James Buster Douglas
.Bruce Seldon

There are more, but i've just named a few.

(And also just because there on the list dosen't mean there bad fighters, and yes they were all heavyweight champions and have to be respected in a way, but all i'am saying is because they were good or decent fighters dosen't mean they were worthy of the most prestigues title.)

TheGreatA
01-29-2009, 03:20 PM
I think Nikolai Valuev might just be the worst heavyweight title holder of all time (not a champion by any sense of the word) along with Bruce Seldon, Herbie Hide and Michael Bentt.

Worst champion may have been Leon Spinks, and as tough as he was, Gentleman Jim Braddock really had no business being the heavyweight champion.

JAB5239
01-29-2009, 04:00 PM

Carnera may not have been very talented, but he didn't lack heart and was never scared of getting hit.The only proof you need of this is the Max Baer fight where he was dropped 11 tmes only to keep getting back up, and the Joe Louis fight where he was dropped 3 times before being mercifully saved by the ref. He also ht hard enough to legitimatly ko a tough Jack Sharkey.

Knighte
01-29-2009, 04:05 PM
I would say Carnera, the circus strongman who's fights were mostly fixed, and Leon Spinks, who I believe was knocked out in the first round of his final fight to a kid making his pro debut!

JAB5239
01-29-2009, 04:11 PM
as tough as he was, Gentleman Jim Braddock really had no business being the heavyweight champion.

I disagree with this my friend. Braddck had a checkered career with mixed results against some very good fighters, but he made a solid run to the heavyweight championship capped off by beating a guy who was highly favored against him. He also showed tremendus courage his loss to Louis. Clearly he wasn't the best but I can think of much worse.

TheGreatA
01-29-2009, 04:33 PM
I disagree with this my friend. Braddck had a checkered career with mixed results against some very good fighters, but he made a solid run to the heavyweight championship capped off by beating a guy who was highly favored against him. He also showed tremendus courage his loss to Louis. Clearly he wasn't the best but I can think of much worse.

You're right he probably shouldn't be listed among the worst as he had a couple of very good wins (Baer, Lewis, Farr) but I do believe that he was in the right place at the right time. Baer didn't even put up an effort while Braddock gave it his all.

I think his performance against Louis is probably the most impressive I've seen of him on film. He was outmatched but made it more of a fight than most of Louis' bouts against former champions were.

Loughran outboxed him fairly easily, and from what I saw Farr looked the better of the two when they fought each other.

Knighte
01-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Cinderella man was great, taking it to Max Baer and even giving prime Joe Louis all he could handle

southpaw_07
01-29-2009, 08:06 PM
Mercado had only 2 months to prep for that fight.. "Only" 2months? Well, that underlines the fact that he was sucha ****ty fighter that he needed more time to lose those 50 extra pounds he added in between the fights

Kid McCoy
01-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Carnera may not have been very talented, but he didn't lack heart and was never scared of getting hit.The only proof you need of this is the Max Baer fight where he was dropped 11 tmes only to keep getting back up, and the Joe Louis fight where he was dropped 3 times before being mercifully saved by the ref. He also ht hard enough to legitimatly ko a tough Jack Sharkey.

I agree about Carnera. He often gets a raw deal but he wasn't as bad as some say. Obviously a lot of his early fights have a cloud over them but he did have some very good legitimate wins in his career, as well as the impressive KO of Sharkey. He also suffered a broken ankle during the Baer fight, which makes his performance that night all the more ballsy.

them_apples
01-29-2009, 10:51 PM
Bruce Seldon was probably the very worst.

Leon Spinks
Hasim Rahman
Shannon Briggs
Herbie Hide
Michael Bentt
Buster Douglas
Trevor Berbick
Sergei Lyakhovich
Michael Moorer
Nicolay Valuev
Henry Akinwande

were all very bad too.

seldon was bad, but he had at least good physical attributes(speed)...

Valuev is worse though, so is primo C...

joseph5620
01-30-2009, 01:02 AM
Leon Spinks was the worst by far. Carnera would have beaten him easily.

Add Jess Williard to that list.

tommy boo boxer
01-30-2009, 01:52 AM
tyson was the worst!!! :rofl:

nah jokes... Seldon 50 blows

Madvillain
01-30-2009, 07:55 AM
John Ruiz. He won the WBA Heavyweight Title by edging out a shell of what used to be Evander Holyfield and had three horrible fights with him. After getting his ass handed to him by Roy Jones, RJJ vacates the belt and the WBA awards the title back to Ruiz.

His style of punch-clinch is also not what a Heavyweight titlist should be using either.

Thunder Lips
01-31-2009, 12:41 AM
Alphabet holders are easy pickings and guys like Seldon didn't even beat anybody to get their belt. I'd say its between these clowns for worst undisputed Champion of the World!

http://www.boxnews.com.ua/photos/334/hasim-rahman22.jpg

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/images/04/14/spinks_clicks.jpg

JAB5239
01-31-2009, 05:19 AM
John Ruiz. He won the WBA Heavyweight Title by edging out a shell of what used to be Evander Holyfield and had three horrible fights with him. After getting his ass handed to him by Roy Jones, RJJ vacates the belt and the WBA awards the title back to Ruiz.

His style of punch-clinch is also not what a Heavyweight titlist should be using either.

Whether you enjoyed his style or not Ruiz was effective and beat plenty of decent fighters. There have been plenty worse than him to hold a title.

KostyaTszyu44
01-31-2009, 08:49 AM
Whether you enjoyed his style or not Ruiz was effective and beat plenty of decent fighters. There have been plenty worse than him to hold a title.

yeah, ruiz gets most of his hate from the fact he is boring as **** to watch

guys like willard, valuev etc were/are much worse

Southpaw16BF
02-03-2009, 01:24 PM

Yeah, even do there is a dark cloud over Canera, and yes he was involved in ''Sketchey'' ''fixed'' fights. He wasn't quite as bad as some people make out.

He holds a legitimate KO victory over the much smaller Jack Sharkley for the heavyweight 1933-06-29, were even Jack said for years belive me it wasn't a fixed fight Jack also held a win over him beating him on a UD and even scoring a knockdown 1931-10-12, he also beat Tommy Loughran who weighed in at 186 to Carnera's 270 unbelivable size difference on 15 Rd decision.

And then came a fight against the roughed hard hitting Max Bear, in i fight which he showed plenty of heart and guts. To start things off early on in the fight, Max would wrestle Primo to floor and was fooling about with him, this would lead to primo breaking his ankle, but continued to fight taking a brutal beating getting dropped 11 times but continued to get back up, until being tko'd in the 11.He also got up twice when Joe Louis knocked him down.

Now for me just off that performance alone he showed plenty of heart and courage. So maybe he was involed in lots of sketchey fixed fight and maybe he was a circus act and was veiwed by many as the worst hevayweight chammpion. But Primo showed he had heart and courage, and did get two good wins even if they were over much smaller men, and if you watch the Joe Louis fight, early in the fight he showed a good long range jab. So even do yes is one of the worst ever heavyweight champions, i think maybe people give him to much stick, when they hardly even do anything about him.

Also Hall of Famer and former Jr Middlweight and Middlweight champion and Olympic gold medalist Nino Benvenuti said Primo was good man and a good fighter and will not have a wrong word said about him.

Southpaw16BF
02-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Here are some pictures and videos of Primo Carnera in action

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/f/fd/Carnera-Loughran.1Mar1934.jpg
Carnera-Loughran

http://static.boxrec.com/wiki/4/47/Fight19755b.jpg
Carnera-Loughran

http://pro.corbis.com/images/BE059558.jpg?size=67&uid=%7B6879BE97-1886-449A-8D02-66B658C2B044%7D
Carnera-Bear weigh in

http://italianalmanac.org/06gen/carnera.jpg
Primo with his title

Southpaw16BF
02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gk-7ic9OCKY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gk-7ic9OCKY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/trEGY-q_IFA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/trEGY-q_IFA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_8wtM68GBAA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_8wtM68GBAA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/O5-zl-wkoqE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/O5-zl-wkoqE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Flab
02-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Muhammad Ali.

Edward Hitler
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Trevor Berbick.. he look like a scared child when he faught tyson and faught like one 2

smirf123
02-04-2009, 05:01 PM
any of these

Frank Bruno
Bruce Seldon
Trevor Berbick

agree.....

DarchinyFAN
02-06-2009, 06:22 PM
It made it to the end and no one mentioned James "Bonecrusher" Smith.

Whats my prize?

elfag
02-11-2009, 12:12 PM
I agree on the right place, right time. How many other guys would have beaten Ali on that night? Ali was starting to have parkisons symptoms by that time.

Also the likes of Valuev, Ruiz were never linear champions just belt holders. If you include worst ever belt holders then the list gets considerably larger and more complex.

elfag
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Bruce Seldon was probably the very worst.

Leon Spinks
Hasim Rahman
Shannon Briggs
Herbie Hide
Michael Bentt
Buster Douglas
Trevor Berbick
Sergei Lyakhovich
Michael Moorer
Nicolay Valuev
Henry Akinwande

were all very bad too.

You have a damn good point about Shannon Briggs, he won his linear title from a gift decision over a 46 or so year old Foreman and gets KOed in his next fight.

Gets title from gift decision, zero defenses, KOed next fight. That has got to be the worse.

Atleast the likes of Rahman and Carnera won their titles with KO wins.

Ziggy Stardust
02-11-2009, 12:48 PM
I base my picks on ability alone and by that standard I think Primo Carnera and Jess Willard really stand out as the most lacking. I have to give both credit, especially Primo, for courage in the ring.

Poet

Gojira
02-11-2009, 01:49 PM
David haye-Only fought once, and got floored, against a shot monte barrett.

cassiusthegreat
02-11-2009, 02:59 PM
Nikolai Valuev.Can we please stop arguing this? you can bring up all the stats you want but we all know it's valuev

The RealDeal
02-11-2009, 03:41 PM
David haye-Only fought once, and got floored, against a shot monte barrett.

The Haye - Barrett fight was actually David Haye's second Heavyweight fight, the first was against Tomasz Bonin.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rflKHqnqT6s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rflKHqnqT6s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJJciMGe17k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJJciMGe17k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Steak
02-11-2009, 03:57 PM
counting alphabet belt champs, its probebly Francesco Damiani
http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=3748&cat=boxer
but Im not sure if he counts, because of the whole deal with the WBO being an illegitimate title at the time...

in terms of lineal champs, its probebly Shannon Briggs. won the lineal championship off of a robbery against a mid 40s Foreman, got knocked out badly in his next fight.

honerable mention to Valuev.

DarchinyFAN
02-14-2009, 03:47 AM
You have a damn good point about Shannon Briggs, he won his linear title from a gift decision over a 46 or so year old Foreman and gets KOed in his next fight.

Gets title from gift decision, zero defenses, KOed next fight. That has got to be the worse.

Atleast the likes of Rahman and Carnera won their titles with KO wins.

Whats scary about Briggs, is if you count alphabet belts. He is a 2 time champion :ugh:

Ian_ST24i
02-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Greg Page.