View Full Version : Ken Shamrock retires...

Mr. Beelzebub
12-08-2002, 04:29 AM
MMAWeekly.com's Ed Doty is reporting that Ken Shamrock has retired from the sport of mixed martial arts.

Doty attended last night's King of the Cage and talked with a few members from the Lion's Den. They told MMAWeekly that "Ken has fought in his last fight and has now retired from mixed martial arts."

Shamrock is one of the most recognizable fighters in the history of MMA. He fought in UFC 1 and concluded his fighting career at UFC 40. The most impressive thing may not be the titles that he won, but the pay per view buys he helped sell for the UFC. He competed in the four highest UFC pay per views in history. He was a Superfight Champion in the UFC, A champion of Pancrase, and was a top ranked fighter in Pride. Ken retires at the age of 38.

The right decision IMO.

The Golden Bear
12-08-2002, 05:32 AM
This is coming from a very anti-Shamrock fan.

My hats off to him. He was an originator and all should give Ken a nod of respect. We can only say "Thanks for the fights."

KimuraMan
12-08-2002, 11:46 AM
Yeah hats off to the Rock for all he has done for the sport, and all the blood and sweat he shed for the sport and his fans. Goodluck in future endevors Shamrock.

HockeyFighter
12-08-2002, 02:36 PM
My post will follow the theme of the others here.

Ken is a legend. He helped mold the sport into what it is today. He was one of only 2 skilled fighters at UFC 1 and leaves after UFC 40 when all fighters can now be called athletes. He was great for the sport. Just the right combinations of talk and skills. He brought in the fans and he trained the fighters. He won and he lost but he will always be a champion. Time caught up with him as it does everyone else. He retires as one of the greatest and history shall remember the name Ken Shamrock because I know I will. I was never a big fan but I respect what he did and how he handed himself in and outside the ring. I salute you Ken Shamrock. Live long and prosper.

no_gi
12-08-2002, 04:11 PM
I agree with all of the above.

seldomTap
12-08-2002, 09:31 PM
If this is true...good call.

Ken always had detractors cause of his pro wrestling days...but by fighting Frye and Tito he showed a lot of heart to and gained a lot of respect from a lot of people.

All the best

handjobs4dollars
12-09-2002, 12:26 AM
It would have been great, if he could leave with a win.

kcfman
12-09-2002, 01:21 AM
I agree.

realkaps
12-09-2002, 02:27 AM
So long Ken.....