No announcement yet.

Mitch Halpern destroyed David Reid's Career

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitch Halpern destroyed David Reid's Career

David Reid was one of the most talented Olympians to enter the ring, but very early in his career, he was put up against the dangerous hard hitting Tito Trinidad. Early on he showed talent, speed and power(knocking Tito down in the 3rd the round). As the fight continued into the mid rounds, Tito began to punish Reid, droppping him with a huge left hook in the 7th. He continued to punish David Reid hitting him with hard lefts, hard rights, rocked him several times throughout the fight. But in the 10th Reid was dropped and showed that he could not win the fight, his leggs were gone, his ability to take Tito's punch was nonexistent. This fight needed to be stopped. In th 11th round David Reid was dropped 3 times, wobbling around the ring he refused to quit, the referee was concerned with low blows throughout the fight,taking points away from both David Reid and Tito. But how about the safety of the fighter? David Reid should not have been allowed to continue that fight. As a result, his retina was detached, he was never the same fighter.

David Reid could have been something great, but Mitch Halpern(referee) desroyed those chances, when he allowed this fight to continue.
    As the commentators stated, "this is unacceptable, if the corner wasn't going to stop it, the ref should have, these are the kind of fights that destroy a fighters career". Boy were they right!

There have been very stupid referees in boxing. but what can you do about them?

Comment

I thought Mitch Halpern was a good ref. I didn't see the Reid fight, but in other fights, he was very good and professional.

Mitch Halpern committed suicide in Las Vegas a few years ago, I thought that was a tragedy, but I never heard the rest of the story.

Brian

Comment

Mitch didnt do that bad a job. Reid didnt have his legs under him in the late rounds, he had like 3 slips towards the end and was barely pushed and went down. He kept throwing punches, even after the knockdowns. The cut right above the eye did not look that bad, the doctor kept saying there was no reason to stop the fight. Halpern might have over officiated if anything, but its not his fault David Reid's camp put an inexperienced fighter (14 fights? come on now!) against Trinidad who had 36 at that point of his career. That, in my opinion was the begining of the end of David Reid

Comment

machotime - just read this post, real good. but tito had nill to do w/ david's eye. that was all caused by a big right hand in the amateurs by david santos.

tito just iced him, santos was the cause of the eye.

Comment

Originally posted by machotime
            David Reid was one of the most talented Olympians to enter the ring, but very early in his career, he was put up against the dangerous hard hitting Tito Trinidad. Early on he showed talent, speed and power(knocking Tito down in the 3rd the round). As the fight continued into the mid rounds, Tito began to punish Reid, droppping him with a huge left hook in the 7th. He continued to punish David Reid hitting him with hard lefts, hard rights, rocked him several times throughout the fight. But in the 10th Reid was dropped and showed that he could not win the fight, his leggs were gone, his ability to take Tito's punch was nonexistent. This fight needed to be stopped. In th 11th round David Reid was dropped 3 times, wobbling around the ring he refused to quit, the referee was concerned with low blows throughout the fight,taking points away from both David Reid and Tito. But how about the safety of the fighter? David Reid should not have been allowed to continue that fight. As a result, his retina was detached, he was never the same fighter.

David Reid could have been something great, but Mitch Halpern(referee) desroyed those chances, when he allowed this fight to continue.
            As the commentators stated, "this is unacceptable, if the corner wasn't going to stop it, the ref should have, these are the kind of fights that destroy a fighters career". Boy were they right!
            Sorry, couldn't disagree more. Halpern gave Reid a champion's chance to pull it out. It's not Mitch's fault that Reid was moved along too quickly. If you need to "blame" someone, look at Reid's management who tried to capitalize on his marketing power of being the only Medalist (if memory serves me correctly) at that particular Olympics before his droopy eye doomed his career. He was moved along far too quickly, not unlike Davey Moore; and, last I checked, Mitch Halpern wasn't his mangager.
            Last edited by K-DOGG; 08-08-2006, 02:20 PM.

Comment

And last I checked Mitch was one hell of a referee. I never saw him be unfair in any fight or play favorites to another.

He treated every fight(er) the same, from the Big Pay Days to the Small time. I'd much rather have Richard Steel dead than Mitch. RIP Mitch.
              ANybody know why he killed himself? Or was it the Don and his mineons.

Comment

David Reids managment helped Trinidad destroy Reid. Too much Too soon, He wasn't ready for Tito at this point. Could have turned out much better same for Vargas.

Comment

Originally posted by BAREKNUCKLES
                  Mitch Halpern committed suicide in Las Vegas a few years ago, I thought that was a tragedy, but I never heard the rest of the story.

Brian
                  prolly a mob affiliated murder that was made to look like a suicide

Comment

Working...
                  X