View Full Version : Foreman vs Briggs

FeelTheA-Force
06-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Why did Briggs fight like a *****? he didnt throw many right hands with intent.

do you think it was out of respect? i say this becoz his jabs were so precise and were rocking Foremans head back.

Dempsey 1919
06-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Cause he was scared, that's all.

Southpaw Stinger
06-16-2006, 05:14 PM
I don't think he wanted to throw any big rights cos he was scared of even bigger counters coming back at him! I thought Foreman won that fight though.

hemichromis
06-16-2006, 05:20 PM
to fight foreman and win you have to make him chase you and beat him on points

ali KOed him because he was tired and ali delivered a very nice combo. few people could ko foreman so its best to go for points, unfortunately that makes for a boring fight: briggs-foreman morrison-foreman in the later the crowd was booing morrison all the way through

FeelTheA-Force
06-16-2006, 06:04 PM
to fight foreman and win you have to make him chase you and beat him on points

ali KOed him because he was tired and ali delivered a very nice combo. few people could ko foreman so its best to go for points, unfortunately that makes for a boring fight: briggs-foreman morrison-foreman in the later the crowd was booing morrison all the way through

be realistic, the foreman vs briggs was old and fat. not the same foreman that fought ali.

i still think it was outa respect, why would you wanna fight a 48year old and hurt him.

Briggs was 26#
foreman was 48#

thats massive difference

Dye
06-16-2006, 06:52 PM
Briggs said that Foreman at 48 still hit harder than anyone he has fought before or since and he said that last week or something

Parody
06-16-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't think he wanted to throw any big rights cos he was scared of even bigger counters coming back at him! I thought Foreman won that fight though.

Interesting. How did you score it?

Dye
06-16-2006, 07:00 PM
everyone thought Foreman won that fight

Abe Attell
06-16-2006, 07:03 PM
It was probably out of fear that if he commited to the punch, that it would of left him open for that split second more, a split second to long, even for an old Foreman.

Southpaw Stinger
06-16-2006, 07:07 PM
Interesting. How did you score it?

I had Foreman up 2 or 3 rounds.

Parody
06-16-2006, 07:08 PM

So Foreman, one of the greatest Heavyweights of all time was robbed against a Nobody in shannon briggs? and the fact 1 Judge scoring it 117-113, the other 116-112

hemichromis
06-17-2006, 05:04 AM
be realistic, the foreman vs briggs was old and fat. not the same foreman that fought ali.

i still think it was outa respect, why would you wanna fight a 48year old and hurt him.

Briggs was 26#
foreman was 48#

thats massive difference

if briggs would have stood and traded he would have lost, at 48 foreman had trouble chaisng an opponent around but once he found him he could outmatch anyont toe to toe

FeelTheA-Force
06-17-2006, 05:12 AM
if briggs would have stood and traded he would have lost, at 48 foreman had trouble chaisng an opponent around but once he found him he could outmatch anyont toe to toe

thats a joke. Briggs would have destroyed Foreman.

foreman was hurt on many occasions from the "Few" right hands briggs actually threw.

i totally disagree that foreman had the power in his late 40's

hemichromis
06-17-2006, 06:50 AM

foreman was hurt on many occasions from the "Few" right hands briggs actually threw.

he didn't have as much power as he did in the 70's but make no mistake he could still stand toe to toe with anyone from that time. shannon was a big strong guy but his punches were not that powerful, foremans jab knocked shannons head back as much as briggs' cross did foreman

Parody
06-17-2006, 01:07 PM

Did you watch Foreman vs Moorer?

hemichromis
06-18-2006, 01:38 PM

i thought foreman won that fight too so did ledderman and the other commentator. foreman hurt briggs more and was the aggressor all the way through

Heckler
06-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Foreman still had power. Never in his career was he explosive or did he create alot of 'snap' with his punches... he relied on brute force and brute force stays with you for a long time. Unlike the likes of say Joe Louis he didn't rely on timing and speed to generate punching power. Anyone see Foreman vs Cooney? I think that fight completely blows the 'foreman didn't have power in his second career' theory out of the water. He wasn't as powerful as he was in the seventies but he still could bang.

FeelTheA-Force
06-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Did you watch Foreman vs Moorer?

moorer was owning foreman. i think moorer was paid to take the dive. he could have got up and played it safe. and still win on points.

Southpaw Stinger
06-19-2006, 10:25 AM
moorer was owning foreman. i think moorer was paid to take the dive. he could have got up and played it safe. and still win on points.

nah the KO was legitamite. I've seen the fight a few times and the shots that finished off Moorer were very heavy. Moorer always had a suspect chin and Foreman hit the sweet spot.

Watch Foreman vs Cooney.

FeelTheA-Force
06-19-2006, 10:39 AM
nah the KO was legitamite. I've seen the fight a few times and the shots that finished off Moorer were very heavy. Moorer always had a suspect chin and Foreman hit the sweet spot.

Watch Foreman vs Cooney.

are you sure?!!!

maybe moorer wanted foreman to win. he didnt even look hurt.

do u have that fight with cooney??

Southpaw Stinger
06-19-2006, 10:51 AM

Why would he want Foreman to win? Moorer was winning the fight. An undefeated fighter is unlikely to take a dive especially when they could make more money staying as champ.
And I've been hit hard quite a few times and once I started laughing even though I was hurt. You can do some strange things when your dazed.

Only on VHS

I'm sure someone here has it. Foreman overpowers Cooney and KO's him in the second round.

http://www.fairbutfirm.com/photos/working/working18.jpg

Hydro
02-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Why did Briggs fight like a *****? he didnt throw many right hands with intent.

do you think it was out of respect? i say this becoz his jabs were so precise and were rocking Foremans head back.

He was too respectful and timid, perhaps scared, but he still fought with more passion than Fraudley Harrison.

Southpaw Stinger
02-14-2007, 11:23 AM
are you sure?!!!

heres the fight with cooney

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnTNAgiu7-M"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tnTNAgiu7-M" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Southpaw Stinger
02-14-2007, 11:23 AM
and briggs

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTWYdm7bsek"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTWYdm7bsek" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Dempsey 1919
02-14-2007, 06:09 PM
and briggs

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTWYdm7bsek"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTWYdm7bsek" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

What a sad end to a remarkable career.:nonono:

Southpaw Stinger
02-14-2007, 06:20 PM

robberies are pretty common these days so I wasn't surprised.

hemichromis
02-15-2007, 01:40 PM
robberies are pretty common these days so I wasn't surprised.

true i just watched roy jones jr 'lose' a fight against park si-hun. i have never seen anything so stupid!

hemichromis
02-17-2007, 07:22 AM

personally i prefer that end to him winning and fighting lewis who would almost certainly destroy him and possibly knock him out!

Southpaw Stinger
02-17-2007, 09:28 AM
personally i prefer that end to him winning and fighting lewis who would almost certainly destroy him and possibly knock him out!

there would be no way that he would get in the ring with lewis at that point.

-Antonio-
02-17-2007, 12:03 PM

Briggs was 26#
foreman was 48#

thats massive difference

If Briggs was concered with hurting Foreman then he did a bad job hiding it. He kept hitting George in the back of the head. Foreman said himself that he wouldnt fight like that because he wanted to send a good message, so it was George who was holding back.

-Antonio-
02-17-2007, 12:10 PM
I hate when people say Moorer took a dive. Look at his lip after the punch. Foreman split it with the punch, and you can clearly see the blood in Moorer's mouth. He said he had to get 40 stitches or something like that.

Southpaw Stinger
02-17-2007, 12:20 PM
I hate when people say Moorer took a dive. Look at his lip after the punch. Foreman split it with the punch, and you can clearly see the blood in Moorer's mouth. He said he had to get 40 stitches or something like that.

definatly.

I hate all these people who try to make out that all the great fights were fixes.

K-DOGG
02-17-2007, 12:42 PM
Only comment on this thread (I suppose): Briggs LOST the Foreman fight; and he showed why he'll NEVER be a real World Champion in the truest sense of the word. He "looks" like a fighter; but he's about as far from being a "fighter" as you can be from a mental stand-point. He ran like a curr from an old man. I love George; but Briggs had all the physical talent you can want and used none of it...still doesn't. Why? Because boxing truly is 90% mental; and that's where Shannon Briggs falls woefully short.

realheavyhands
02-18-2007, 05:11 AM
Briggs said that Foreman at 48 still hit harder than anyone he has fought before or since and he said that last week or something

holyfield said the same thing but said bowe was second lewis third and tyson never hit him clean