View Full Version : Sugar Ray Robinson

-X-
06-09-2006, 02:43 AM
My god...i just rewatched some of his fights and i must say hes as close to a machine as there is.Just seeing this guy once would make me **** myself if i had to fight him..that just shows back then there was no such thing as fear.There will never be another like him there just cant be.

hellfire508
06-09-2006, 03:05 AM
I dunno how to describe him. Brilliant? Magic?

He was absolutely unbelieveable when he was at his best. At middleweight, he was a little inconsistant, but when he was on, he was ON.

-X-
06-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Its almost like thinking the tape is going extra fast hwne in reality its really him...i mean what would he have done to the greats of today...id hate to find out.

hellfire508
06-09-2006, 03:40 AM
Its almost like thinking the tape is going extra fast hwne in reality its really him...i mean what would he have done to the greats of today...id hate to find out.

He was like lightning.

At welterweight today, he was absolutely destroy every fighter out there. Except maybe Floyd, who would be a tough fight for a while, but I think Ray would eventually stop him.

Middleweight too. He would absolutely dominate.

(Note: Nothing against fighters of today, I mean, who would have shame in losing to Ray Robinson?)

Southpaw Stinger
06-09-2006, 08:00 AM
He was an amazing fighter. p4p he was the greatest.

Kid Canada
06-09-2006, 11:37 AM
The man was as close to perfect as any fighter ever. The most complete fighter I`ve ever see. Amazing hand speed and foot work, great at slipping punches, one punch knock out power, he could stand toe to toe and brawl with you, had a great chin and was always the better conditioned fighter.

dempseyfan
06-09-2006, 12:13 PM
The thing that I like best about him(and pretty much all of the old time fighters) is that even when champion people actually fought more then once a year back then. Nowadays once these fighters win a title they just sit on it and seem afraid to defend the damn thing.

Dempsey 1919
06-09-2006, 06:20 PM
The thing that I like best about him(and pretty much all of the old time fighters) is that even when champion people actually fought more then once a year back then. Nowadays once these fighters win a title they just sit on it and seem afraid to defend the damn thing.

Yeah, Ali defended the title five times in 1966. :eek:

Built 2 Last
06-09-2006, 06:21 PM
won 4 fights out of 5 will the bronx bull himself...(jake la motta)

jason100x
06-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Yesterday I finished reading Pound For Pound, the biography of Sugar Ray Robinson by Herb Boyd with Ray Robinson 2. The book is a flawed biography, it brushes over the fights too much and lacks a lot of details, but it does give much background about him. It makes you appreciate his achievements (over 200 pro fights with only 19 losses, twenty-five year, undefeated amateur career). Wow, he certainly earned the respect he is given.

K-DOGG
06-09-2006, 06:46 PM
In a word..."perfection".

...or as close as you're ever going to see.

Built 2 Last
06-09-2006, 07:54 PM
**** man...only 19 loses for 100+ wins....i herd he had hands like stones...

Amaro
06-09-2006, 08:04 PM
jose basora was robbed in their first fight

dempseyfan
06-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Yeah, Ali defended the title five times in 1966. :eek:

You just don't see that anymore.

Kid Canada
06-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Yesterday I finished reading Pound For Pound, the biography of Sugar Ray Robinson by Herb Boyd with Ray Robinson 2. The book is a flawed biography, it brushes over the fights too much and lacks a lot of details, but it does give much background about him. It makes you appreciate his achievements (over 200 pro fights with only 19 losses, twenty-five year, undefeated amateur career). Wow, he certainly earned the respect he is given.
Yeah I read that book recently also. I learned a lot of things about him I never knew before, alot of it I wish I still didn`t know. As great and amazing as he was in the ring, outside he just was not a great human being.

K-DOGG
06-10-2006, 04:31 PM
**** man...only 19 loses for 100+ wins....i herd he had hands like stones...

And remember, the bulk of those losses came after the age of 35. He never lost a welterweight fight.