View Full Version : Why do people like Roberto Duran

Winky
05-31-2006, 12:50 PM
I honestly thought he sucked....just look at his fight with Hearns.He was too slow and why does everyone think he was good?

RAESAAD
05-31-2006, 12:54 PM
Man your **** is endless. :D

Winky
05-31-2006, 12:58 PM
No dude im actually being serious with this one...I mean he lost to the main guys he fought.I know he was a beast at lightweight but seriously he got destroyed by Hearns and even lost to Ray Leonard by embarrasment.

RAESAAD
05-31-2006, 01:00 PM
I really don't have much opinion on him.He was from what I have seen of him a relentless beast and you are right did come up short against his top opponents.......Vargas like.

Winky
05-31-2006, 01:02 PM
Exactly!! thats my whole point,i realize hes considered the greatest Lightweight ever even though i would take Pernell Whitaker everyday of the week.I also believe he lost to Hagler as well.

K-DOGG
05-31-2006, 01:17 PM
I honestly thought he sucked....just look at his fight with Hearns.He was too slow and why does everyone think he was good?

Dude, have you EVER seen any of his lightweight fights or the first Leonard fight....or even the Barkley fight?

Brockton Lip
05-31-2006, 01:23 PM
first Leonard fight

Leonard was even more impressive actually in that fight. He used a different style and went toe to toe with a harder hitter and almost won! But yes Duran is very good.

RastaSmoker
05-31-2006, 01:24 PM
Roberto Durán is a famous boxer from Panama, and is generally regarded as not only one of the greatest pound-for-pound fighters of all time, but arguably the most pure fighting animal to ever step into the ring. He held world titles at four different weights - lightweight (1972-79), welterweight (1980), junior middleweight (1983-84) and middleweight (1989). He was also the only boxer to have fought in five different decades. He finally retired in January 2002 at age 52 (having previously retired in 1998) following a bad car crash in October 2001, with a professional record of 120 fights, 104 wins with 69 KOs. He was nicknamed Manos de Piedra (Hands of Stone) when at age 14 he allegedly knocked out a horse with one punch.

+= El Jefe=+
05-31-2006, 01:26 PM
here is a question why do you like Winky????

K-DOGG
05-31-2006, 01:38 PM
Leonard was even more impressive actually in that fight. He used a different style and went toe to toe with a harder hitter and almost won! But yes Duran is very good.

Well, that depends on how you look at it. I don't think Leonard wanted to fight Duran in that style....I think Duran made him fight in that style. Leonard himself has said he got sucked into the macho-thing with Duran and fought his fight.

I do agree he did very well though; but still think Duran was better in that fight and deserved the win.

Brockton Lip
05-31-2006, 01:42 PM
Well, that depends on how you look at it. I don't think Leonard wanted to fight Duran in that style....I think Duran made him fight in that style. Leonard himself has said he got sucked into the macho-thing with Duran and fought his fight.

I do agree he did very well though; but still think Duran was better in that fight and deserved the win.

Yeah that sounds true. I agree with that.

Winky
05-31-2006, 01:56 PM
here is a question why do you like Winky????

Cause i can.

Frazier's 15th round
05-31-2006, 01:57 PM
When Duran fought Hagler, you do realize that he was fighting at about 25 pounds above his normal weight? He went the distance with Hagler and beat Ray Leonard once.

+= El Jefe=+
05-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Cause i can.
does that answer your question??

K-DOGG
05-31-2006, 02:00 PM
When Duran fought Hagler, you do realize that he was fighting at about 25 pounds above his normal weight? He went the distance with Hagler and beat Ray Leonard once.

Very True....and the Hagler fight was a thing of beauty. Technical boxing at it's best on both ends. To see a man who held the Lightweight Championship fighting that competitively with one of the greatest middleweights of all time was something else. Duran was something else...one of a kind, truly.

rocco1252
05-31-2006, 02:53 PM
How can you take away from Duran, I mean that guy was an animal who would fight anyone, he wasnt scared of anyone and stepped up to all opposition. He fought hard no matter what the situation and sure he had some faults and never really beat the toughest opponents but thats like taking away from Patterson saying he wasnt great because he lost to the toughest opponents as well when he fought them. But **** man seriously the guy had to be great, he fough over 100 battles, was champion in 4 weight classes and fought for nearly 30 years I mean **** what else more do you need to be considered great?

SABBATH
05-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Very True....and the Hagler fight was a thing of beauty. Technical boxing at it's best on both ends. To see a man who held the Lightweight Championship fighting that competitively with one of the greatest middleweights of all time was something else. Duran was something else...one of a kind, truly.
Pound for pound Duran was likely the best fighter of his generation. Duran could fight as an aggressive swarmer (Leonard I),or as a patient counterpuncher as the Hagler fight showed. He could also mix it up like he did against Pipino Cuevas a masterful dismantling as was his next fight against Davey Moore.

Duran's best opponents came later in his career when he was older and at a weight above his prime fighting weight. Duran also always gave away height reach and youth to later opponents Leonard, Benitez, Hagler, Hearns, Moore, Barkley etc...

At his peak Duran was a defensive master, in-fighter, body puncher, and sharp puncher with KO power in both hands. As a lightweight champion Duran has few peers.

Azteca
05-31-2006, 04:24 PM
I really don't have much opinion on him.He was from what I have seen of him a relentless beast and you are right did come up short against his top opponents.......Vargas like.

sorry, but that is a very misinformed opinion right there.

lefthooklacy11
05-31-2006, 06:20 PM
He was nicknamed Manos de Piedra (Hands of Stone) when at age 14 he allegedly knocked out a horse with one punch.

Knocked out a horse, dayummm

machotime
05-31-2006, 06:32 PM
WOW,

Winky, if you are actually implying that Duran was overrated, you should be smacked by your father or grandfather, because they probably did actually see his fights, while you didn't.....

Duran lost to Hagler and Hearns due to the fact that he started his career at 118!!!!! They were naturally 160 :eek: , the man is a legend for fighting like a man, for so long, being relentless, having obtained world titles in 4weight classes, and jumping from 118-168..... that is 9 weight classes. You have probably never seen him fight....if you did , you would have never started this thread.

lefthooklacy11
05-31-2006, 06:39 PM
Duran's great, there's really no sense in arguing that.

trinidadpr87
05-31-2006, 06:52 PM
No dude im actually being serious with this one...I mean he lost to the main guys he fought.I know he was a beast at lightweight but seriously he got destroyed by Hearns and even lost to Ray Leonard by embarrasment.
He also beat Leonard too.He was a natural lightweight with devastating power, imagine if Kostya Tszyu moved up to 160 how do you think he would do?

oldgringo
05-31-2006, 07:15 PM
exactly....imagine winky wright moving up to cruiserweight...then imagine him beating o'neil bell to capture the title there. okay well that's more or less what duran did when he beat iran barkley for the recognized title.

BAREKNUCKLES
05-31-2006, 08:22 PM
Roberto Duran was a marquis fighter of the last century. He was also a polarizing figure in and out of the ring. Many of his tactics in and out of the ring made him someone to be revered or reviled.

His fighting style wasn't particularly pleasing to watch. No Sugar Ray or Ali like moves in there, his style definitely followed suit to the latino style. In many respects, you could compare him to Julio Caesar Chavez. A matador with incredible power, skill, endurance and the ever intangible will to win. Duran was much nastier than Chavez, able to demoralize an opponent before he ever climbed into the ring.

What made Duran great was his huge fighting heart. His ability to fight and beat some of boxing's elite fighters, even when he was vastly outsized not only reflected his skill but his will to win.

Iran Barkley was a beastly middleweight, yet Duran stretched him in the opine position. That was truly a great fight.

Although he lost the fight, I always felt that he had beaten vinnie Pazienza in the twilight of his career.

The man loved to fight. If he were a dog, he would be a pit bull.

hellfire508
06-01-2006, 04:44 AM
Duran was a brilliant fighter. I think that is the best word to describe him. I would probably pick him over any lightweight in history. He was such a complete fighter in his prime.

Heckler
06-01-2006, 08:45 PM
Duran was a brilliant fighter. I think that is the best word to describe him. I would probably pick him over any lightweight in history. He was such a complete fighter in his prime.

Please tell me this thread is some kind of stupid joke? Roberto Duran in terms of greatness has to be ranked over Sugar Ray leonard, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler etc... He was beaten by these men because he was a natural lightweight and dominated this division for a decade. Watch Duran vs Leonard I, Duran was amazing. He wasn't just the rough and tumble slugger he is percieved to be by the younger generations, he could really box... Duran was very skilled and old school. We can't discredit him for getting knocked out by Hearns, Hearns was a freak at 6'1 - 140 pounds with devestating punching power. Even Duran with his supurb defense could not overcome such an obstacle.

tommyhearns804
06-01-2006, 09:05 PM
You know why people love Duran or De La Hoya in this country?Because the people herer are afraid to say anything about non american people period.You see how mexicans run across the border and take our jobs right and nobody says a thing.Just run aross the border and pop out a child and the child is a so called citizen and has all the rights of people who were here for 100's of years.It is the same reason why De La Hoya can get title shots and is a millionare and a white fighter like Bronco Mckart is a unknown even though he is alot more skilled than De La Hoya.Whitaker beat De La Hoya but gets robbed because De La Hoya is mexican.
To be honest virtually all hispanic and latino fighters suck.They are great at beating their own race but when ever they fight a good white or black fighter they lose.But the way this country is you will always hear more about them than you will our own white and black fighters.

machotime
06-01-2006, 09:29 PM
You know why people love Duran or De La Hoya in this country?Because the people herer are afraid to say anything about non american people period.You see how mexicans run across the border and take our jobs right and nobody says a thing.Just run aross the border and pop out a child and the child is a so called citizen and has all the rights of people who were here for 100's of years.It is the same reason why De La Hoya can get title shots and is a millionare and a white fighter like Bronco Mckart is a unknown even though he is alot more skilled than De La Hoya.Whitaker beat De La Hoya but gets robbed because De La Hoya is mexican.
To be honest virtually all hispanic and latino fighters suck.They are great at beating their own race but when ever they fight a good white or black fighter they lose.But the way this country is you will always hear more about them than you will our own white and black fighters.

I smell a BAN coming :eek: LOL

lefthooklacy11
06-01-2006, 09:49 PM

But how does this make you feel? :rolleyes:

Kid Achilles
06-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Hearns really outdid himself this time. LOL!

Brockton Lip
06-01-2006, 10:20 PM
Hell yeah. banned finally. He blocks me out of his threads and is a moron.

Dempsey 1919
06-02-2006, 12:44 AM
Hell yeah. banned finally. He blocks me out of his threads and is a moron.

Yeah, he blocked me too because I said that Jack Dempsey wasn't a coward.

Dempsey 1919
06-02-2006, 12:45 AM
Yeah, he blocked me too because I said that Jack Dempsey wasn't a coward.

Either that, or it was because I said that Sonny Liston would beat George Foreman.

sleazyfellow
06-02-2006, 01:33 AM
he blocked me cause of his stupid marciano vs god thread, i think hes quite funny actually, but his threads used to b just plain black vs. white, and this one he jumps all over spanish speaking dudes, well it was good while it lasted mr. tommy hearns, oh and ur a disgrace to the real motor city hitman, if u should come back just call urself arayanblacksupremcist, not after any boxers

hellfire508
06-02-2006, 02:12 AM
Please tell me this thread is some kind of stupid joke? Roberto Duran in terms of greatness has to be ranked over Sugar Ray leonard, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler etc... He was beaten by these men because he was a natural lightweight and dominated this division for a decade. Watch Duran vs Leonard I, Duran was amazing. He wasn't just the rough and tumble slugger he is percieved to be by the younger generations, he could really box... Duran was very skilled and old school. We can't discredit him for getting knocked out by Hearns, Hearns was a freak at 6'1 - 140 pounds with devestating punching power. Even Duran with his supurb defense could not overcome such an obstacle.

I hope this thread is a joke. Either that, or the only fights the author has seen of Duran are the those post 82ish (he was still great after then too, just too high up in weight). Duran was a BEAST in the 70s, an unbelievable fighter.

I love his fights with Dejesus and Palomino in particular.

Despite being at welter, Montreal will always be his signature victory.

Yogi
06-02-2006, 02:40 AM
Duran's fight with Palomino was probably my favourite fight of his, as well, Hellfire, and I don't think anybody could find too many more impressive performances against top flight opposition than that one put forth by Roberto...

Fairly cautious first round by both fighters, but after that...a completely one-sided ****kicking was handed out in that fight, as Duran completely beat Palomino up from the outside with the left hooks and especially the right hands, before quickly coming inside to do the same with the hooks & uppercuts.

Domination at it's best.

SABBATH
06-02-2006, 02:54 PM
Domination at it's best.Duran schooled alot of bigger guys that tried to fight the inside game. Palomino, Leonard, Cuevas, Moore, Barkley all were outfought against Duran at close quarters.

At a distance however Duran could be beaten. His jab while effective against shorter guys as a lightweight was usually just a rangfinder against taller opponents and wasn't a real effective weapon for him once he moved up in weight. Lateral mobility also troubled Duran who liked to get his feet set before attacking.

Now, in addition to the second Leonard fight, Duran was truly taken to school against Wilfred Benitez both on the outside and inside. A masterful performance by Benitez an underrated and overlooked great fighter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vSGaEawyLQk&search=roberto%20duran

Here's a pretty good first round KO by a prime Duran. He mixes his attack well to both body and head, makes his opponent Rojas miss, is very aggressive, busy and applies effective punching pressure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Emy4Ktup7Y8&search=roberto%20duran

Yogi
06-02-2006, 03:49 PM
At a distance however Duran could be beaten. His jab while effective against shorter guys as a lightweight was usually just a rangfinder against taller opponents and wasn't a real effective weapon for him once he moved up in weight. Lateral mobility also troubled Duran who liked to get his feet set before attacking.

That's all true, and even at lightweight he showed that he wasn't as unbeatable at that weight as some think he was...Everybody has a stylistic weakness that others could take advantage of, and with Duran he was shown to have trouble at times with tricky & fairly quick outboxers (who relied on their jabs), who used mobility on their feet to avoid the inside exchanges with Duran...

You've given a couple of examples with Leonard & Benitez, but we also saw that when he fought the talented, but underachieving Kirkland Laing, who pulled off the big upset by using his quick mobility, long range jabbing, and quick hands against him. And we also saw some hints of that in his lightweight tenure, as well, against the likes of Ray Lampkin (who had some sucess with side-to-side movement, and the use of his jab) or Edwin Viruet...Haven't seen the Viruet fight, but from what I read/hear from a couple of different sources, Viruet might have been unlikely to got get the decision the first time he faced Duran in their non-title fight, and it was said that Viruet also used some quick mobility and smart outside boxing behind the jab with great success against Duran.

SABBATH
06-02-2006, 04:05 PM
That's all true, and even at lightweight he showed that he wasn't as unbeatable at that weight as some think he was...Everybody has a stylistic weakness that others could take advantage of, and with Duran he was shown to have trouble at times with tricky & fairly quick outboxers (who relied on their jabs), who used mobility on their feet to avoid the inside exchanges with Duran...

You've given a couple of examples with Leonard & Benitez, but we also saw that when he fought the talented, but underachieving Kirkland Laing, who pulled off the big upset by using his quick mobility, long range jabbing, and quick hands against him. And we also saw some hints of that in his lightweight tenure, as well, against the likes of Ray Lampkin (who had some sucess with side-to-side movement, and the use of his jab) or Edwin Viruet...Haven't seen the Viruet fight, but from what I read/hear from a couple of different sources, Viruet might have been unlikely to got get the decision the first time he faced Duran in their non-title fight, and it was said that Viruet also used some quick mobility and smart outside boxing behind the jab with great success against Duran.
Don't forget the tricky Vilomar Fernandez who gave Duran some trouble went 13 rounds and also beat Alexis Arguello...

The Noose
06-03-2006, 11:41 PM
The Duran - Pipino Cuevas fight is one of my favourites. There is a moment in which he slips 2 hooks, and each time delivers a body hook perfectly.
IMO Duran was one of the most natural fighters. His instincts were second to none.
His skills are so often vastly underrated. He was not just a walk forward fighter, but a great aggresive boxer, who had incredible timing and reflexes.

We all know he didnt have much of a jab, but everything else, speed, endurance, balance, body shots, counter rights, left hooks to the body, combinations, a great chin (Hearns right hand wasnt human!), Duran was one of the best ever fighters.

kerubee
06-04-2006, 03:00 AM

I recognize that you are serious about this one, and Duran lost to Hearns just plain flat but:

I do not think that he lost to Sugar Leonard boxing. There was not a problem with what he ate earlier before the fight. No. He quit because he could not "catch up" to the "running" of Leonard all around the ring afraid of getting hit.. Duran just got frustrated the same way that anybody gets frustrated when can not catch a fly.

You never saw Duran running away from nobody in order not get hit.

Learn from the mexican fighters: They stand infront of the opponent and fight. (Duran is from Panama)

oldgringo
06-04-2006, 04:14 AM
My favorite Duran fights are his wins over Moore and Barkley. The way he dismantled bigger fighters was amazing.