View Full Version : Boxing in Missouri?

emilbus
02-09-2005, 10:52 PM
I'm new to Boxing, but I'm very interested in it. However, the closest gym to me, that I have found either online or the yellow pages, has been over 20 miles away. I personally couldn't take it seriously if I had to travel 40 miles to do this. So I was wondering if there are any Boxers that live in Missouri, near Chesterfield. Any help or ideas would be great!

julDilla
02-09-2005, 11:01 PM
http://boxinghelp.com/missouri.html

emilbus
02-09-2005, 11:24 PM
Yea, I used that site already, that's where I found the closest gym to me, thanks for the help though.

julDilla
02-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Yea, I used that site already, that's where I found the closest gym to me, thanks for the help though.

you can always order a bag, speed bag a jump rope, and get a training book, all you need is someone else to help you with mitts, and so on...

emilbus
02-09-2005, 11:39 PM
That's what I was afraid of, but I sort of saw it comming. I did make a bag out of some rolled up carpet I took from someones trash, wrapped in a nice layer of duct tape. I have it wrapped tightly around a 4" pvc pipe that's capped on both sides with holes drilled though the center, so I could thread a thick nylon rope through it and have it stay put. I hung it from a steel I-beam in my basement and found it to be a little light for my tastes. So I extended the rope out a bit, added 60 lbs. of weights to the bottom, and used an old, thick, drumstick to hold it all together from the bottom. Grand total for this ran less than $20.00, so I was happy. Plus it hits great, just a little give, but not much. Plus it weighs about 80 lbs., which I think is fine for my weight (146).

Sorry about that, that little blurp was just cause I'm really proud of my little creation.

Regardless, I guess I'll just have to get my friends into it and teach each other the ropes. I plan on asking my school's police officer if there are any P.A.L.'s close to my home.

Thanks again for all the help!

Raekwon
02-10-2005, 02:53 PM
tis good to box at home but if u dont have the right technique and ur new to boxing its best not to get to much into just beating a erm "bag" lol, other wise you will develop bad habits that will be harder to get out of when you do get yourself in with a trainer, just take things slowly work on general fitness etc but try not to get into bad habbits, its always best to have a trainer if ur new to boxing

Tha Greatest
02-12-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm new to Boxing, but I'm very interested in it. However, the closest gym to me, that I have found either online or the yellow pages, has been over 20 miles away. I personally couldn't take it seriously if I had to travel 40 miles to do this. So I was wondering if there are any Boxers that live in Missouri, near Chesterfield. Any help or ideas would be great!

What are your goals? tell me and i can help you

emilbus
02-13-2005, 01:15 PM
What are your goals? tell me and i can help you

I'm just a very physical person. I love contact sports and compitition. I just wanted to do boxing for fun and as a recreational thing. Just to stay in shape and have a little fun at the same time. Thanks.