View Full Version : Who had the most stamina?

Brassangel
05-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Of the heavyweight greats of all time, who had the most stamina? Of course, I'm referring to the ability to just keep going at a good pace. Not necessarily heart, but physical stamina.

Names that come to mind:

Joe Frazier - still had good power in later rounds.
Rocky Marciano - could punch until the cows came home.
Muhammad Ali - had the ability to finish guys off in the 15th.

While I've listed three obvious contenders, with very limited explanations, I expect much more from you! :booty:

Let the discussions begin.

RAESAAD
05-25-2006, 08:51 PM
James Toney......... :lol1:

Brassangel
05-25-2006, 09:20 PM
That was the first post I was expecting... :rolleyes:

RAESAAD
05-25-2006, 09:23 PM
That was the first post I was expecting... :rolleyes:
OK....well I have to say seriously Holyfield in his hayday had great stamina or was it more heart.......probably more heart but there is no substitute for that no matter how many rounds you can go in the 12 rd max era.

Zigga
05-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Rocky Marciano

Heckler
05-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Marciano, Frazier... Ali when he was in condition was really fit too shown by his ability to move fluidly for 15 rounds, but not in the vicinity of the other two.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-25-2006, 09:59 PM
not to favor my favorite fighter inparticularly but Rocky Marciano probably had the best stamina ever. He was able to punch as hard in the 15th as he did in 1st.

sleazyfellow
05-25-2006, 10:09 PM
henry armstrong..

Kid Achilles
05-25-2006, 10:44 PM
Holyfield never had great natural stamina, but he was all heart.

I'll go with Marciano at #1. Gene Tunney is one who hasn't been mentioned yet. Tunney was actually capable of dancing for a longer stretch of time than Ali was.

Rockin'
05-26-2006, 06:18 AM
old school, stanley Ketchell and Henry Armstrong.

What about Graziano or Marvin Hagler. Sharmba Mitchell always shows up in shape.

You cant fight if you dont have the gas. It amazes me how many times guys show up to fights and are gassed in the middle rounds.

I have been guilty of this. Took a fight with no time in the gym, just needed some cash. Got fighting with this guy and my skill level was so much greater than his. Rockin' him with jabs and dropping rights and landing flush at will. Then I got tired. That dude ****ed me up for the rest of the fight. Right eyes swelled up huge and I think that I fractured my colar bone in the fight. Never got it checked by a doctor because the money went to the rent and I really didnt feel it until we were driving home and the adrenaline wore off. Show up in shape and you can show them what you got. Show up outa shape and your showing them a punching bag.

Rockin' :boxing:

Southpaw Stinger
05-26-2006, 08:51 AM
George Foreman

Wait, Marciano is the heavyweight that never broke a sweat!

Da Iceman
05-26-2006, 08:57 AM
george foreman had the worst stamina lmao. marciano best.

Southpaw Stinger
05-26-2006, 09:02 AM
george foreman had the worst stamina lmao

Thats why I was joking man. And I gotta agree, Marciano had the best stamina.

blockhead
05-26-2006, 09:47 AM
at heavy weight,, joe frazier, overall carmen basilio

M26
05-26-2006, 11:45 AM
Rocky Marciano.

Joe Frazier and Muhammad Ali are also worth mentioning.

K-DOGG
05-26-2006, 11:51 AM
Of the heavyweight greats of all time, who had the most stamina? Of course, I'm referring to the ability to just keep going at a good pace. Not necessarily heart, but physical stamina.

Names that come to mind:

While I've listed three obvious contenders, with very limited explanations, I expect much more from you! :booty:

Has to be Marciano. The man's training technique was insane, his punch output and consistancy were phenominal. I'll only list one example...the most obvious....for now.

Walcott I. Jersey Joe came out putting it on Rocky like nobody's business and kept putting it on him all fight long, forcing Rocky to work hard and war back with him. The fact that Rocky stopped Walcott cold...COLD...in Round 13, after 12 rounds of continuous fighting, is testament to the man's stamina. To still have the energy to through a one-shot bomb after applying continuous pressure and having pressure and serous punches being applied to him....he was just as strong in the 13th round as most fighters hope they are in the 1st.

Marciano, quite possibly, was the most finely tuned heavyweight of all time for no man worked harder....and that training was evidenced in the fact that he could keep coming at you all night without letting up...as he did with Walcott and Charles in their first encounters.

leff
05-26-2006, 12:06 PM
id say marciano with frazier at a close second

ROSEWOOD
05-26-2006, 01:43 PM

Names that come to mind:

I would have to say "The Greatest". The dude dances all 100 rounds of a fight..no one in the sport today keeps it up like him...oh and will knock yo ass out in the 15th...easily...

Dye
05-26-2006, 03:39 PM
Evander had great stamina he trained his ass off, anyone see some of his training footage?

King Koyle
05-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Rocky Marciano

Dempsey 1919
05-26-2006, 09:17 PM
marciano, then ali.

Abe Attell
05-26-2006, 09:26 PM
Anybody realize that Marciano is only 185lbs?

Seriously, why wouldn't his stamina be good at such a weight...he fought guys that were under 200lbs most of the time too. Not to hate, just realize what the facts are, like him being the same size of the lightheavyweights now.

I wonder how many lightheavyweights can throw as many punches as Marciano

Guys like Ali, Frazier, etc. are all over 200lbs of muscle...a lot harder to fight with great stamina at such a weight, yet they did it.

Dempsey 1919
05-26-2006, 09:41 PM

Seriously, why wouldn't his stamina be good at such a weight...he fought guys that were under 200lbs most of the time too. Not to hate, just realize what the facts are, like him being the same size of the lightheavyweights now.

Guys like Ali, Frazier, etc. are all over 200lbs of muscle...a lot harder to fight with great stamina at such a weight, yet they did it.

still, marciano had more stamina then 180lb. men. he never stopped coming.

Da Iceman
05-26-2006, 09:46 PM
omg caterpillar stopped being racist. marciano, ali, frazier. marciano was as fresh in 15 as the first. did you see the beating he gave charles in the 15th of their first fight? ali could dance till the 15th and knock you cold in the 15th, like he did wepner. and frazier had great stamina too.

Dempsey 1919
05-26-2006, 09:50 PM
omg caterpillar stopped being racist. marciano, ali, frazier. marciano was as fresh in 15 as the first. did you see the beating he gave charles in the 15th of their first fight? ali could dance till the 15th and knock you cold in the 15th, like he did wepner. and frazier had great stamina too.

i was never racist, dickhead.

Da Iceman
05-26-2006, 09:52 PM
stfu n00b.

Dempsey 1919
05-26-2006, 10:33 PM
stfu n00b.

whatever, man.

Brassangel
05-30-2006, 07:22 PM
Even though Marciano was 185 lbs., you can walk through his record and see that, regardless of most people's presupposed stereotypes of him, he fought plenty of guys at the professional level that were near or above 200 lbs. That shows incredible stamina when a guy can pound people bigger than him, and likewise take a beating for 10+ rounds and keep swinging 'till the sun comes up. Marciano likely wins this category.

rocco1252
05-31-2006, 04:50 PM

Names that come to mind:

Marciano no doubt thats a given due to every boxing expert saying that as well. I dont really see any room for debate on this one.

rocco1252
05-31-2006, 04:53 PM

not many actually could throw as many punches for 15 rounds as Marciano did, and regardless if your 185lbs or 205lbs he still would have thrown close to 100 punches a round and everyone of them with intent to knock the guy out.

Skydog
05-31-2006, 08:47 PM
I'll say Frazier. It takes a **** load of stamina to pull off possibly the greatest punch in boxing history in the last round of a grueling fight (FOTC).

Then again, Marciano did hit Walcott perfectly with a right hand after he got the hell beaten out of him.

Dempsey 1919
05-31-2006, 11:01 PM
I'll say Frazier. It takes a **** load of stamina to pull off possibly the greatest punch in boxing history in the last round of a grueling fight (FOTC).

Then again, Marciano did hit Walcott perfectly with a right hand after he got the hell beaten out of him.

that punch is overrated. ali went down cause he was dead tired.

Skydog
05-31-2006, 11:22 PM
It's not the fact that it knocked Ali down, it's the fact that Frazier beat Ali to the punch. HE BEAT MUHAMMAD ALI, THE FASTEST HANDS IN THE HISTORY OF BOXING, to the punch. Ali was about to throw a right uppercut, and Frazier unleashed a left hook all the way from hell.

Da Iceman
05-31-2006, 11:25 PM
It's not the fact that it knocked Ali down, it's the fact that Frazier beat Ali to the punch. HE BEAT MUHAMMAD ALI, THE FASTEST HANDS IN THE HISTORY OF BOXING, to the punch. Ali was about to throw a right uppercut, and Frazier unleashed a left hook all the way from hell.
sugar ray robinson, manny pacquiao, ray leonard, floyd patterson.

Dempsey 1919
05-31-2006, 11:34 PM

Still, Ali was dead tired and slow from the layoff.

Azteca
05-31-2006, 11:39 PM
most stamina in the history of boxing? that's a toughie. it's tough to call because it's unfair to all of the old-timer pugilists but if i was too pick one it would probably be rocky marciano. sounds cliche, but the guy was the ultimate prize fighter. if you didn't knock him out, he would knock you out. he was that relentless.

Heckler
05-31-2006, 11:49 PM

That punch was not overrated at all... 'best left hook since dempsey' it was hailed following the fight. He executed it perfectly.. it was short, sharp and ****en powerful. Look at Ali's head swivel on his shoulders, he didn't go down soley due to fatigue. It's possible that Frazier landed a harder left hook in the thrilla in manilla... i remember a sportswriter calling it 'the hardest punch i had ever seen connect in my career' Ill have to go back through the fight and identify the punch he's referring to.

Heckler
05-31-2006, 11:53 PM
sugar ray robinson, manny pacquiao, ray leonard, floyd patterson.

I think he was referring to the HEAVYWEIGHT division. Floyd displayed impressive speed but Ali was faster. Has a HW ever displayed the kind of speed we saw Ali produce against Brian London or Zora Folley?

Dempsey 1919
05-31-2006, 11:54 PM
That punch was not overrated at all... 'best left hook since dempsey' it was hailed following the fight. He executed it perfectly.. it was short, sharp and ****en powerful. Look at Ali's head swivel on his shoulders, he didn't go down soley due to fatigue. It's possible that Frazier landed a harder left hook in the thrilla in manilla... i remember a sportswriter calling it 'the hardest punch i had ever seen connect in my career' Ill have to go back through the fight and identify the punch he's referring to.

It is overrated. Ali was asked which punch that knocked him down was the hardest and do you know who he said? That's right, little skinny Henry Cooper! :eek: Frazier admitted himself that the punch wasn't that hard. Joe hit Muhammad awith harder shots in that same fight. If Frazier hit Ali with that shot in let's say the second round, then Ali would not have kissed the canvas. Ali went down cause he was exhausted, period!

Azteca
05-31-2006, 11:55 PM
I think he was referring to the HEAVYWEIGHT division. Floyd displayed impressive speed but Ali was faster. Has a HW ever displayed the kind of speed we saw Ali produce against Brian London or Zora Folley?

i have explained this in the past. ali's handspeed was a combination of showmanship, footspeed, and his reach. i haven't seen a fighter faster then a young joe louis.

blockhead
06-01-2006, 12:05 AM
at heavy weight,, joe frazier, overall carmen basilio
gene fullmer. rocky marciano

Dempsey 1919
06-01-2006, 12:15 AM
i have explained this in the past. ali's handspeed was a combination of showmanship, footspeed, and his reach. i haven't seen a fighter faster then a young joe louis.

yeah, ok. i guess that why conn, godoy, watcott, nova, pastor, etc. gave him a boxing lesson, huh?

RockyMarcianofan00
06-01-2006, 04:09 AM
Young Joe Louis was lightening fast :boxing:

chris_cov
06-01-2006, 08:06 AM
rocky marciano looked just as good in the 15th as he did in the 1st. he had amazing stamina.

Brassangel
06-01-2006, 09:28 AM
Joe Frazier hit Ali hard, clearly. If anyone thinks otherwise, watch the mechanics of both men's bodies during that punch. True, Ali was tired, but so was Joe, it was the 15th round. I think that it's more appropriate to call it the most dramatic left hook in history, not the most powerful.

And yeah, I think it's obvious that Rocky seems to win this vote almost unanimously.

Yaman
09-09-2006, 07:28 PM
I'll have to say Ike Ibeabuchi.

This is a man of 230/240lbs, but was able to throw 975 punches in a 12 round fight!! He may have been able to throw 1000 punches.
He was unbelievable.

Joeyzagz
09-09-2006, 07:45 PM
If Frazier and Tyson spent as much time in the gym as Marciano, then they'd be 189 pounds as well.

Marciano's walking around weight was well over 200 pounds, but when it came time tto train, the guy worked himself out like a dog.

redxl7
09-16-2006, 03:04 PM
Marciano had the best stamina, the man was just relentless. But Frazier is a pretty close second.

Dempsey 1919
09-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Marciano had the best stamina, the man was just relentless. But Frazier is a pretty close second.

I would put frazier number 3, and ali second, cause he could dance and throw punches for 15 rounds straight.

hemichromis
09-16-2006, 04:24 PM
If Frazier and Tyson spent as much time in the gym as Marciano, then they'd be 189 pounds as well.

Marciano's walking around weight was well over 200 pounds, but when it came time tto train, the guy worked himself out like a dog.

boxers used to be ripped now they tend to be more bulky but noway has tyson got 30lb s of fat onhim!

dempsey1919
09-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Jim Jeffries in his prime was able to KO you in 20 plus rounds.
Jess Willard KOed Johnson in the 26th round.
John L. KOed Kilrain in the 75th round in round w2ithout a time limet.
Jim Corbett was still as fast in the last round as in the first.
Marciano never once took a step back

Verstyle
09-16-2006, 08:37 PM
Jim Jeffries in his prime was able to KO you in 20 plus rounds.
Jess Willard KOed Johnson in the 26th round.
John L. KOed Kilrain in the 75th round in round w2ithout a time limet.
Jim Corbett was still as fast in the last round as in the first.
Marciano never once took a step back

as u get tired hits tend to make u more dizzy and off balance. so those late k.os mean nothing when it comes to power

Dempsey 1919
09-17-2006, 12:08 AM
as u get tired hits tend to make u more dizzy and off balance. so those late k.os mean nothing when it comes to power

good point.

hayZ
09-17-2006, 05:07 AM
the old fighters of jeffries time, were VERY good when it came to endurance, you have to put names like jeffries in the list, ali, marciano, frazier, john l.

Im not too sure about this but i reckon its between jeffries/john L/Marciano if i had to choose now it would be jeffries

redxl7
09-17-2006, 10:42 AM
I would put frazier number 3, and ali second, cause he could dance and throw punches for 15 rounds straight.

Yeah your probably right, a prime Ali did have more stamina than Frazier.

Yaman
09-17-2006, 11:34 AM
Yeah your probably right, a prime Ali did have more stamina than Frazier.

Dance and throw punches aren't as hard as throwing left hooks with your whole body weight and effort in it the whole night long. Frazier was working a lot more than Ali, and Ali sometimes hung on the ropes, Frazier never did that. It was 100% full effort the whole night long. That is why i think Frazier had more stamina than Ali.

hemichromis
09-17-2006, 12:19 PM

Names that come to mind:

i agree with those 3 they could all end a fight in the later rounds, ali had his moments where his stamina waivered but that was mostly ue to age in his prime he was one of the best

Dempsey 1919
09-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Dance and throw punches aren't as hard as throwing left hooks with your whole body weight and effort in it the whole night long. Frazier was working a lot more than Ali, and Ali sometimes hung on the ropes, Frazier never did that. It was 100% full effort the whole night long. That is why i think Frazier had more stamina than Ali.

We are talking about Ali's prime.

DudeManGuy216
09-18-2006, 10:09 AM
LaMotta, Frazier, Marciano, Armstrong. Those guys were relentless, no doubt in their primes no one threw more punches and pressured more than these guys.

Dempsey 1919
09-18-2006, 10:15 AM
LaMotta, Frazier, Marciano, Armstrong. Those guys were relentless, no doubt in their primes no one threw more punches and pressured more than these guys.

Oh, yeah I forgot about Armstrong.

Heckler
09-18-2006, 10:25 AM

Have to agree. Frazier had phenomenal stamina, Ali in his prime with the ability to stay on his toes with a solid workrate for 15 rounds isn't too far behind. In terms of stamina Frazier is one of the elite, constantly bobbing and weaving applying tremendous pressure and keeping up a relentless attack. He carried his power late into a fight... the only time ive seen Frazier lacking punching power is in the 14th round of Manila.

In the heavyweights i would say Frazier and Marciano have the best stamina. In the lower weight classes i would have to go with Henry Armstrong who actually had an unusually large heart that allowed him to keep up such a torrid pace.

Heckler
09-18-2006, 10:29 AM

Ali got smacked straight on the chin. Ali being tired was one of the circumstances that resulted in that punch landing.

Heckler
09-18-2006, 10:38 AM

You can explain all you want. Your wrong... Ali's handspeed was real, not a mere illusion. In terms of raw handspeed a pre-layoff Ali was quicker than Louis. If anything reach is going to make Ali's punches appear slower as they have to travel further in order to make contact... Joe threw very short, sharp punches which accentuate his handspeed on film. Joe had alot more snap on his punches and a far superior combination of speed/power, however Ali when he was throwing flurries and combinations had the edge in speed. Regardless Patterson, Louis, Tyson are all up there with Ali in terms of handspeed.