View Full Version : George Foreman's 5 Hardest Hitting Foes

SABBATH
05-25-2006, 11:18 AM
Who were the five hardest punchers you ever faced?

Foreman: Oh, my goodness. I'd have to say, in reverse order:

5. Muhammad Ali. He was deceptive. People say he wasn't a puncher, but he'd get you to come toward him, and he'd catch you with that quick right hand.

4. Jack O'Halloran. It was 1970, in my 15th fight. He'd beaten Manuel Ramos in California, and I fought him in Madison Square Garden. He wobbled me. [Note: Foreman stopped O'Halloran in five rounds.]

3. Sonny Liston. I sparred with him and he was the only guy who ever made me box. I was scared of him!

2. Gerry Cooney. He was one of those guys who, when they hit you, it didn't hurt, but then you saw your body start doing funny things. [Foreman KO'd Cooney in two round in 1990.]

1. Ron Lyle. I have never been hit like that! It should have been illegal for someone to get in the ring and punch somebody like that. That should have been rated X. [Foreman stopped Lyle in five rounds in 1976 in one of the greatest brawls in heavyweight history; both men were on the canvas in the fourth round.]

Brassangel
05-25-2006, 11:30 AM
That's a scary thing to hear George Foreman talk about instances where he was frightened... :confused: I find it particularly interesting that Liston was still a scary man at that age; however old he was in 1969 or whatever when Foreman got to spar him.

K-DOGG
05-25-2006, 11:36 AM
I think it probably had more to do with Foreman being 20 years old and Liston psyching him and playing upon his insecurity. Foreman reminded many of Liston during his first career, I believe, on purpose....because he didn't know who he was, so he emulated someone he wanted to be.

Dye
05-25-2006, 11:44 AM
I think it probably had more to do with Foreman being 20 years old and Liston psyching him and playing upon his insecurity. Foreman reminded many of Liston during his first career, I believe, on purpose....because he didn't know who he was, so he emulated someone he wanted to be.
yea, that must be it

King Koyle
05-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Not surprised that Lyle is #1.What a fight that was!

K-DOGG
05-25-2006, 12:32 PM
Not surprised that Lyle is #1.What a fight that was!

Freakin' classic. The only heavyweight contest in recent years that comes close was Moorer-Cooper.

Dempsey 1919
05-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Who were the five hardest punchers you ever faced?

Foreman: Oh, my goodness. I'd have to say, in reverse order:

5. Muhammad Ali. He was deceptive. People say he wasn't a puncher, but he'd get you to come toward him, and he'd catch you with that quick right hand.

4. Jack O'Halloran. It was 1970, in my 15th fight. He'd beaten Manuel Ramos in California, and I fought him in Madison Square Garden. He wobbled me. [Note: Foreman stopped O'Halloran in five rounds.]

3. Sonny Liston. I sparred with him and he was the only guy who ever made me box. I was scared of him!

2. Gerry Cooney. He was one of those guys who, when they hit you, it didn't hurt, but then you saw your body start doing funny things. [Foreman KO'd Cooney in two round in 1990.]

1. Ron Lyle. I have never been hit like that! It should have been illegal for someone to get in the ring and punch somebody like that. That should have been rated X. [Foreman stopped Lyle in five rounds in 1976 in one of the greatest brawls in heavyweight history; both men were on the canvas in the fourth round.]

there you go. foreman said ali hit hard. so that'll teach you ali haters a thing or two about ali's underrated punching power. :cool:

hemichromis
05-25-2006, 02:52 PM
there you go. foreman said ali hit hard. so that'll teach you ali haters a thing or two about ali's underrated punching power. :cool:

ali didn't usually hit hard but he could when he wanted to and foreman is right about the way ali makes an opponent come forward to they are both moving in together. artful really!

tommyhearns804
05-25-2006, 03:10 PM
Alot people think that Foreman tried to be like Liston which is a lie.Read Foreman book..Foreman wanted to be like any thug type murdering criminal.Those were the people he grew up around he met Liston years later.Foreman says alot of stuff since he got older.I was reading one piece were he said he wanted to try to box like Ali but his trainers would tell him to just go in there and win quick.Foreman also said Quarry was a great fighter and he doubt he could beat him.Quarry and Liston are dead...do you think Foreman would really say anything bad about them?
Ron Lyle is the man Foreman said hit him the hardest.If you have seen the Lyle Foreman fight on espn classic then you would of seen him say this right after this.Years later he also said this.Which probably ment Lyle was the one who hit him the hardest.He never mentions Frazier,Liston,Morrison or any other of the fighters he fought.

Heckler
05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
Are you trying to imply that Sonny Liston didn't hit hard, and George wasn't scared of Liston.... George just said it to be nice? I hope not because i have heard various accounts which are identical to Georges.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-25-2006, 03:42 PM
He never said Ali hit hard
he said he was deceptive and would catch you with a right hand when you come in

thats not Punching power thats like what you were talking about in another thread

punching power that works with your style to make you win

Ali flat out had little punching power, maybe equal to a lhw or middleweight, but when you combined it with his speed and he landed three or four lightening fast unexpected punches i'm sure you'd feel it

tommyhearns804
05-25-2006, 03:56 PM
Lol Foreman was afraid of Liston because of ?Foreman was a thug criminal.At 14 he was already knocking out grown men and robbing them to buy cheap booze.I never read in any article that Foreman was afraid of Liston.The best i ever read was Liston backed Foreman up with is jab a few times now all of the sudden Liston punked Foreman.
Get a grip kid the best person Liston ever knocked out was blown super middleweight glass chin Floyd Patterson.Did you fight Liston?No you didnt but guess who did?Ali and Ali never mentions anything about his power.He only said he was afraid of Liston because he hung out with the Mafia.
Are you Foreman?I doubt it and as i said Foreman said out of his mouth and in his book that nobody hit him as hard as Lyle did and he never mentions any other fighter bothering him with their punch period.

Are you trying to imply that Sonny Liston didn't hit hard, and George wasn't scared of Liston.... George just said it to be nice? I hope not because i have heard various accounts which are identical to Georges.

Foreman said at one point to be nice that he never wanted to fight Ali again.When people around him like Dick Saddler and Archie Moore said Foreman wanted to fight Ali to prove he was teh better man.Foreman will say anything now to make himself look like the good guy.And people will say anything about somebody who is dead to be kind.I dont know anybody who rips the dead.
I am sure you have read articles which say something about how people were afraid of Liston when the only guy i seen who looked afraid was Floyd.I seen stupid bullcrap about how Liston hit way harder than Foreman and was alot more skilled when again Ali said Foreman was the best fighters he ever fought the strongest fighter he ever fought and the hardest puncher he ever fought.Just read "The life and times of Muhummad Ali" I say this all the time.Ali also said he believed Foreman was the second best heavyweight ever after himself.
Since Liston was more skilled and hit harder then wouldnt it of ment he would have a better knock out percentage then Foremans?Foreman fought the better competition so Liston would have a waaay better ko percentage than Foremans right?Logic would tell you that.And Listons knock out percentage is as good as it is because after he lost to Ali the second time he won 14 out of 15 fights against bums by knock out.
Liston was good against guys smaller than him.Liston was no Tyson or Foreman.The both beat the bigger and stronger and better guys.They both made decent of even good fighters poop in their pants.Liston did nothing but fight bum after bum after bum and if built up by the boxing media to make Ali seem like he was fighting great fighters before he was out of boxing for those 3 years.
Anyway since Foreman said Lyle was the hardest puncher he ever faced i will take his word for it.

Heckler
06-03-2006, 02:04 AM
He never said Ali hit hard
he said he was deceptive and would catch you with a right hand when you come in

thats not Punching power thats like what you were talking about in another thread

punching power that works with your style to make you win

Ali flat out had little punching power, maybe equal to a lhw or middleweight, but when you combined it with his speed and he landed three or four lightening fast unexpected punches i'm sure you'd feel it

Considering he was asked about THE 5 HARDEST HITTING OPPONENTS HE FACED he is referring to Ali hitting hard. He flat out had punching power.... and it was heavyweight punching power. The Speed is what produces Ali's power 'speed is power' the sheer velocity and mass of Ali makes him a big puncher relative to light heavies and middleweights. Implying his punching power is equal to a middleweights is nothing short of ludicrous.

Marvelous63
06-03-2006, 02:37 AM

True, but they say the last thing to go is your power.
Sonny could still punch.

RockyMarcianofan00
06-03-2006, 04:02 AM
Considering he was asked about THE 5 HARDEST HITTING OPPONENTS HE FACED he is referring to Ali hitting hard. He flat out had punching power.... and it was heavyweight punching power. The Speed is what produces Ali's power 'speed is power' the sheer velocity and mass of Ali makes him a big puncher relative to light heavies and middleweights. Implying his punching power is equal to a middleweights is nothing short of ludicrous.
Ali- if he were to flat out punch it wouldn't be a KO punch, it may be hard like any other fighter but not KO. The reason Ali "hit hard" was because he was fast and deceptive and when he hit you it surprised you, it was more like shock then stunned. IMO :boxing:

Hous
06-03-2006, 07:24 AM
What a good thread, I had no idea Foreman thought Ali was one of the hardest punchers.

Thank you!

SABBATH
06-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Ali- if he were to flat out punch it wouldn't be a KO punch, it may be hard like any other fighter but not KO. The reason Ali "hit hard" was because he was fast and deceptive and when he hit you it surprised you, it was more like shock then stunned. IMO :boxing:
Ali fought the majority of his fights against world class competition in the most competitive heavyweight era ever. In his entire career Ali didn't fight anyone with a losing record (exception was last minute substiitute Jim Robinson) and only two of Ali's opponents would ever retire with a losing record (Robinson and Don Warner who finished one fight under .500). This is unlike many other 'punchers' whose early careers are padded with often beaten often knocked out punching bags.

During his career Ali scored 50 knockdowns with 11 of them being 10 counts. Ali is the only fighter to hold knockouts over George Foreman and Oscar Bonevena. Ali was also the first fighter to ever floor Liston and Wepner (who wasn't floored by Liston or Foreman) and was the first to stop proven chins like Liston and Lyle among others.

In Ali's first title reign his 9 defenses went 74 rounds, averaging 8.22 rounds per fight which is more impressive than Marciano's 6 defences in which he needed 53 rounds averaging 8.83 rounds per fight.

I'm not saying Ali is comparable to Marciano in terms of power but in his prime Ali's fists were equally effective in stopping his opponents as other champions.

Kid Canada
06-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Not surprised to see Ron Lyle #1 on his list. That fight was amazing. Probably the most, or at least one of the most exciting heavyweight fights I have ever seen.

Southpaw Stinger
06-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Not surprised to see Ron Lyle #1 on his list. That fight was amazing. Probably the most, or at least one of the most exciting heavyweight fights I have ever seen.

It was a great slugfest and one of my favourite heavyweight bouts as well. Thats what happens when you get two big powerful sluggers together!

Yaman
06-03-2006, 09:26 AM
One time Foreman was asked about his top 10 HW of all time list(You know when he had Ali at #7) He said the reason was because AlI HAD NO POWER. Thats what he said. So they asked him how he could've been knocked out by Ali. He said something like ''I wasnt overwhelmed by his power, he just caught me with the two fastest hooks i've ever seen''(And clearly you can see that with an off balance Foreman, against Lyle he went down because of the power). It wasn't raw power. Ali didnt have any. It was always gona be a flurry of accurate punches from Ali.

And why he put Ali in that list, maybe because he was ktfo by him?? His list is a diffirent opinion than the topic is saying.

Joe Frazier hit harder than all of those men. Tommy Morrison aswell. Alex Steward comes close..Foreman faced harder hitters, they just didnt get a chance to really rock him like Lyle.

SABBATH
06-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Joe Frazier hit harder than all of those men. Tommy Morrison aswell. Alex Steward comes close..Foreman faced harder hitters, they just didnt get a chance to really rock him like Lyle.A fighter's perspective is subjective. Of course Frazier hit harder than Ali but Ali hit Foreman harder than Frazier did and that's what Foreman has referred to. Morrison hits harder than Ali also but again Ali hurt Foreman more than Morrison did.

George Chuvalo was asked about the hardest hitters he faced and he named Mike Dejohn, George Foreman and Mel Turnbow a guy that scored 2 KO's in 21 career fights. No Quarry, no Frazier, no Bonevena, no Cleveland Williams but Mel Turnbow. Go figure....

BL: Having faced such great fighters such as Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, who would you say was the hardest puncher you ever faced in the ring?

GC: It was neither of those guys. Mike Dejohn was a real good wacker. Mike Dejohn knocked out a lot of guys in one round. Mike Dejohn was a good banger. Foreman was a good banger too, of course. Mel Turnbow was also. I guess they were about the three hardest punchers: George Foreman, Mel Turnbow and Mike Dejohn.