View Full Version : How many push-ups can you do if you dropped down right now?

SryNoAutographs
05-17-2006, 05:46 PM
??????????????

SryNoAutographs
05-17-2006, 05:48 PM
I can do about 45 for sure (Nose touching the ground)

-Nova-
05-17-2006, 05:48 PM
about 40 or something near that

lil rocky
05-17-2006, 05:51 PM
i can do 52 i tried just the other night

SryNoAutographs
05-17-2006, 05:54 PM
I wonder what the avg. person is?

Banderivets
05-17-2006, 05:54 PM
85-100, Ill rush through the first 50 and then take the rest slowly.

SryNoAutographs
05-17-2006, 06:00 PM
If you are touching w/ your nose each time, that's crazy

Zigga
05-17-2006, 06:16 PM
i can do 80 without stopping, but normally i would do 50, 40, 30, 20 ,10

Banderivets
05-17-2006, 06:23 PM
If you are touching w/ your nose each time, that's crazy

Yeah.

The trick is to start doing push ups with your feet on a bed for example and your hands on two seperate chairs. So you go down real low then go back up.

Do that for a couple of weeks.

Then regular pushups feel like nothing.

I can can 20 full chest to floor pushups in about 13sec now :D I just seem to get faster and faster.

El Sniper
05-17-2006, 06:39 PM
I can do 120 in 2 minutes. Never really tried going beyond that.

Konstantin
05-17-2006, 06:40 PM
35 for me...

SryNoAutographs
05-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Yeah.

The trick is to start doing push ups with your feet on a bed for example and your hands on two seperate chairs. So you go down real low then go back up.

Do that for a couple of weeks.

Then regular pushups feel like nothing.

I can can 20 full chest to floor pushups in about 13sec now :D I just seem to get faster and faster.

I'll try that tonight

Rockin'
05-17-2006, 06:49 PM
I'll give ya 60 in 60 seconds. And Ive been retired for years.

Rockin' :boxing:

oliverlt
05-17-2006, 06:59 PM
I'll give ya 60 in 60 seconds. And Ive been retired for years.

In the army we have physical fitness tests. you have two minutes to do aleast 40 to get 60 points and 75 gets you a 100 points. But they are picky about which ones count you have to lock your elbows out on the way up and make the back of your arms flat with your back. Sit ups its 50 for 60 points and 80 for a hundred points. I'm in the mid 20s age group which kinda sucks cause I have to do less then someone younger to pass but have to do more to max my score.

Verstyle
05-17-2006, 06:59 PM
me hmmmmmmm in a row probably 70. but in shape and perfect pushup form probably 120 or 130 non stop

Verstyle
05-17-2006, 07:00 PM

your in the military so u dont count :D

oliverlt
05-17-2006, 07:01 PM

I used to be on the extended scale havent seen that in awhile though. The unit I'm in doesnt have to max your pt test get outta pt free policy here so I don't worry about it that much

Rockin'
05-17-2006, 07:04 PM
In the army we have physical fitness tests. you have two minutes to do aleast 40 to get 60 points and 75 gets you a 100 points. But they are picky about which ones count you have to lock your elbows out on the way up and make the back of your arms flat with your back. Sit ups its 50 for 60 points and 80 for a hundred points. I'm in the mid 20s age group which kinda sucks cause I have to do less then someone younger to pass but have to do more to max my score.

I would get 100 each time in 2 minutes. I remember in Middle Scool we did the scolastic challenge type thing and I got 63 sit ups in one minute. If not more. Tell 'em Rockin' says your sarge should quit going easy on you guys! :D

oliverlt
05-17-2006, 07:11 PM
I would get 100 each time in 2 minutes. I remember in Middle Scool we did the scolastic challenge type thing and I got 63 sit ups in one minute. If not more. Tell 'em Rockin' says your sarge should quit going easy on you guys! :D

When I was in school it was called the Presidents challenge, it was in high school though. I usually finish mine in a minute I never need the second one. I went into basic maxing my push ups and situps it was the run that I couldn't max at basic but it didnt take me long to max it. 2 miles in 13 minutes. I usually do around 12:30.

2OSouzaSuarez12
05-17-2006, 07:13 PM
just dropping down and doing them at any time i can do about 100.

fitz1888
05-17-2006, 07:52 PM
i can manage between 50 and 60 most of the time.
One of the coaches at our boxing suprised everyone by managing 92 in 55 seconds (someone told him to stop 5 seconds early).

Southpaw Stinger
05-17-2006, 07:56 PM
I can probably do about 2 at the moment. I pretty pissed!

Cockyb
05-17-2006, 08:14 PM
i can do just over a 100!

jason100x
05-17-2006, 08:35 PM
I just did 90 regular push-ups.
I do all sorts of different push-ups to keep them from getting boring. One of my favorites is to take a swiss ball, use that to support my ankles and put my hands on two dumbbells with round weight plates, which make the exercise real unstable. Your body has to work twice as hard, not just to do the push-ups but to remain stable. Plus you get a wider range of motion over regular push-ups.

The_Russian
05-17-2006, 08:38 PM
35 on each hand n 80 just for fun

SryNoAutographs
05-17-2006, 08:55 PM
You guys are either lying or you are all beasts

oliverlt
05-17-2006, 09:00 PM

why would you say that. I mean these guys are just being modest, they are also 10ft tall and bulletproof.

Rockin'
05-17-2006, 09:17 PM
why would you say that. I mean these guys are just being modest, they are also 10ft tall and bulletproof.

I was a professionaly trained athlete, by a Fitness and in shape crazy man. I built so strong over that period of time. When you do something day in and day out it just happens. I have stayed fairly fit since the time I quit fighting. Its amazing how quickly the muscles come back, they do have memory.

oliverlt
05-17-2006, 09:42 PM
I was a professionaly trained athlete, by a Fitness and in shape crazy man. I built so strong over that period of time. When you do something day in and day out it just happens. I have stayed fairly fit since the time I quit fighting. Its amazing how quickly the muscles come back, they do have memory.

you know I wasnt talking about you rockin, my dad just quit lifing after 30 years last year his arms are still rock solid but he had pot belly pokin out. Now he just does cardio.

tDeL999
05-17-2006, 09:50 PM
are you guys doin pushups with your elbows at your sides, or are your elbows pointing away from your body?

fraidycat
05-17-2006, 09:51 PM
I just did 61 but I had to change up my hand position at 45. I usually do 40 or 50 a couple times a day.

machotime
05-17-2006, 10:18 PM
I can do about 90 or so,..... it helps that ive been in the military for 5 years. I do push ups every day at the gym, and before I go to bed.

yrrej
05-18-2006, 12:04 AM
What does this have to do with boxing?

Banderivets
05-18-2006, 01:11 AM

I've been doing sports all my life to this day, used to hang around military bases in the old country and always was involved in some form of martial arts.

But I still cant run for **** :D

RAESAAD
05-18-2006, 01:11 AM
Probably 50 not many more.

Red_Menace
05-18-2006, 01:38 AM
are you guys doin pushups with your elbows at your sides, or are your elbows pointing away from your body?

I do 3 kinds:

1) hands spread apart so my arms are bent at 90 degrees when I'm lowered ... you know, the standard

2) hands under my shoulders with my arms parallel to my body

3) hands positioned under my chest with thumbs and index fingers touching to form a triangle and elbows perpendicular to my body

I'm not fitness buff, it's just something I do on the days I'm not swimming, along with some other little at-home type exercises. I usually do 10 of each and then try to repeat, but I don't make it to the second set of #3. I've been doing them for a long time, but for some reason, I hit a peak and have never been able to pass it. Any suggestions? I do them about every second day and swim on the days in between. I do breast stroke and crawl/freestyle when I swim. Is it possible I'm overdoing it on the arm workout?

Dempsey 1919
05-18-2006, 01:47 AM
Awwwwwwwww, my arms hurt. but I just managed to do 72 just now.

Aaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! :( :D

fraidycat
05-18-2006, 02:02 AM
I've been doing them for a long time, but for some reason, I hit a peak and have never been able to pass it. Any suggestions? I do them about every second day and swim on the days in between. I do breast stroke and crawl/freestyle when I swim. Is it possible I'm overdoing it on the arm workout?

Pushups don't work your arms much. It's mainly your pec major and your tricep.

Four recommendations I can think of of the top of my head:

1.) Stretch your chest, shoulders, and back. All the time.

2.) Varying your grip is good. However, also try to concentrate on using different muscles with the same grip/stance. I can shift the focus of my pushup from my triceps, to my pecs, to my anterior delts / lats / serratus. Having these three muscle groups developmentally balanced will help your endurance on this exercise.

3.)Do pushups until you hit failure; that is, you are pushing as hard as you can and you can't do another. When you see "electric purple Cheetos" in your vision and you can't get more than halfway up, you're at a good stopping point. Go a couple of weeks not counting how many you can do; just go until you run out of steam every time. After a couple of weeks, count them again. You'll be surprised how many you've added.

4.) Super-slow reps will help develop the smaller, stabilizing muscles in your chest and shoulder girdle -- among them, the pectoralis minor, serratus, and rotator cuff. This is the fastest and most effective way to build a big bench press and/or increase your number of pushups. (It works for squats and deadlifts, too -- almost any compound lifting exercise. If you're going to try this on a weighted exercise, use 40-50% of your max.)

Instructions are for pushups, but you'll get the idea:

Breathe out at the top of the pushup (arms extended.)

Breathe in on the way down. Use a 10-count to go down; it should take you 10-12 seconds.

Touch your chest to the floor but keep tension on your arms so you're just barely touching the floor. Do not rest your chest on the floor.

Use a 5-count to come up, breathing out slowly and in a controlled manner.

Repeat until you hit your physical pain threshhold. I'm good for about six of these.

Don't worry about getting big. This not a mass-building exercise; it's a stabilizing exercise. The more weight you can stabilize, the more you can lift. The more endurance you have in your stabilizing muscles, the more pushups you can do.

EDIT: Don't do super-slow reps more than once every 4 workouts, as the strain would not be good for your joints and connective tissue. I used to do a week of them, pretty much on every exercise, every 6-8 weeks. I'd say to do them instead of your regular pushups every 4-5 workouts, or when you hit a "plateau."

Good luck.

El Sniper
05-18-2006, 07:14 AM

I get on an extended scale on occasion. The first time I busted out a 331. This last time I did 120 push-ups, 101 sit-ups and 11:38 on the run. They are too lazy to tell me my extended score and I don't know how to find out from here. olivert, do you know how the extended points go? If so, could you tell me my score? I would aprecciate it.

Red_Menace
05-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the pointers, fraidycat. I'm not looking for bulk from exercises. If anything, I'd rather be more thin and defined. I just don't like it when I'm doing exercises and don't show signs of improvement over time, because that usually means I'm doing something wrong. I'll definitely start doing some real slow reps once every 4 or 5 workouts.

fraidycat
05-18-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm not looking for bulk from exercises. If anything, I'd rather be more thin and defined.

There is a series of misconceptions on these boards about weight training. Let me put one to rest from personal experience.

Lifting weights will not automatically give you the body of a WWE star. Not in a month, not in six months, not in six years. I can attest to this b/c I worked my ass off trying to look like a professional wrestler and after four hard years of daily pain, I gained about 40 lbs. of "permanent" -- i.e., maintainable -- muscle.

What makes you bulk up is protein, protein, and more protein. Not weights. Protein. I was taking in 150-200g of protein per day -- snacking on boiled chicken breasts and tuna all day long in addition to lunch and dinner, plus 2 protein shakes per day, PLUS setting my alarm for a 3rd protein shake at 3 AM, everyday for years. In addition, I was using creatine, HMB, and multivitamins, plus CLA, various amino acid complexes, and copious amounts of vitamin C and potassium to keep from cramping. I went from 145 to 175 in two years, and then up to about 185-190 before a back injury took me out and then I got lazy.

Forty pounds in four years. Four screaming, grunting, pain-filled mother****in' years, in which my life was what happened around my gym schedule.

Exercising outside the boxing ring will not -- NOT -- make you wake up the next morning instantly huge and muscle-bound, unable to box because you're suddenly Lee Haney. You have my word. Getting as big as a lot of boxers seem to be worried about takes as much effort and dedication as most of us aren't putting into our boxing, but should be.

Red_Menace
05-18-2006, 08:22 PM
There is a series of misconceptions on these boards about weight training. Let me put one to rest from personal experience.

Lifting weights will not automatically give you the body of a WWE star. Not in a month, not in six months, not in six years. I can attest to this b/c I worked my ass off trying to look like a professional wrestler and after four hard years of daily pain, I gained about 40 lbs. of "permanent" -- i.e., maintainable -- muscle.

What makes you bulk up is protein, protein, and more protein. Not weights. Protein. I was taking in 150-200g of protein per day -- snacking on boiled chicken breasts and tuna all day long in addition to lunch and dinner, plus 2 protein shakes per day, PLUS setting my alarm for a 3rd protein shake at 3 AM, everyday for years. In addition, I was using creatine, HMB, and multivitamins, plus CLA, various amino acid complexes, and copious amounts of vitamin C and potassium to keep from cramping. I went from 145 to 175 in two years, and then up to about 185-190 before a back injury took me out and then I got lazy.

Forty pounds in four years. Four screaming, grunting, pain-filled mother****in' years, in which my life was what happened around my gym schedule.

Exercising outside the boxing ring will not -- NOT -- make you wake up the next morning instantly huge and muscle-bound, unable to box because you're suddenly Lee Haney. You have my word. Getting as big as a lot of boxers seem to be worried about takes as much effort and dedication as most of us aren't putting into our boxing, but should be.

I've never been interested in going the weight-training route, because of the amount of effort it takes. I don't want to be a gym rat or live with my diet on a schedule. I'm not a boxer, I just want to be fit. I swim 3 or 4 times a week, pretty intensively, and I try to do a simple workout at home, on the off days, without any weights. I really appreciate the pointers on the pushups, because I like to make progress on my workouts, or I get bored of them. Generally my focus is improving the condition of my heart and any muscle, definition and general fitness I gain is a bonus.

Banderivets
05-18-2006, 08:35 PM

Well it's different for all people.

I personaly have started working out again for the summer.

In the month and a half that I have been going at it, (at house, body weight work outs, no weights, besides my saturday job, where I do heavy lifting for pretty much the whole day)

well in this time my pecs about tripled in mass, my sholders got massive. I put on a good amount of muscle. I cant tell you my weight now (dont have a scale) but I definetly grew a lot of muscle.

And all I do is in house work outs and intake lots and lots of protein.

fraidycat
05-18-2006, 09:19 PM
In the month and a half that I have been going at it, (at house, body weight work outs, no weights, besides my saturday job, where I do heavy lifting for pretty much the whole day)

well in this time my pecs about tripled in mass, my sholders got massive. I put on a good amount of muscle. I cant tell you my weight now (dont have a scale) but I definetly grew a lot of muscle.

And all I do is in house work outs and intake lots and lots of protein.

Kinda sounds like the boxers on this board who are ready to spar after a month of training. Some people have a talent -- call it genetics, or fate, or whatever. But as far as bodybuilding / gaining goes, the protein is the key. A boxer could keep from "getting huge" if he or she just laid off the massive protein infusion. That was, I guess, my point.

al.mckay
06-06-2006, 06:25 PM
i can do 80 without stopping, but normally i would do 50, 40, 30, 20 ,10
nice-al "the machine"mckay can hang with you

al.mckay
06-06-2006, 06:26 PM
about 40 or something near that
DAMM GIRL!!!!!! NICE

rocco1252
06-06-2006, 06:57 PM
i believe that as well because when I was in the army I was able to do 98 in 2 minutes without stopping, now that I havent done a push up in well lets just say a really long time I can only drop and push out 47 before I'm about wasted.

-EX-
06-06-2006, 08:41 PM
I can only do around 30 since I don't do many pushups. I can do over 200 situps though.

moy22487
06-06-2006, 09:12 PM
maybe 15. good thing i want to be a trainer and not a boxer

michaelface
06-06-2006, 09:28 PM
I weigh 215, I can do about 55 touching my nose each time.

JDizzle79
06-07-2006, 03:03 AM
I weigh about 245 and am 6'6" can get 62 non-stop...i can get more after, but they are hard as **** to lock out

chris_cov
06-07-2006, 07:12 AM
if i do em at my own pace i can do 80 straight off and i start struggling at about 60. but at college we have to c how many we can do in a minute and i get 60 every time.

xshot13b
06-07-2006, 01:25 PM
I do three sets of a hundred morning and night. doesn't take me but a few minutes to bust through all three sets

JDizzle79
06-07-2006, 01:26 PM
I do three sets of a hundred morning and night. doesn't take me but a few minutes to bust through all three sets
if this is true and you use propper form...that would be impressive to say the least

The Raging Bull
06-07-2006, 01:55 PM
About 30 nose touching floor right now. In training probs bout 40. At a stretch.

xshot13b
06-08-2006, 11:49 AM
Dizzie, all it is, is conditioning that particular excercise. I am not a huge, ripped guy, but that comes easy. cant do 10 pull ups to save my life though. :boxing:

Built 2 Last
06-08-2006, 11:52 AM
40-50 approx

Dempsey 1919
06-16-2006, 04:40 AM
I just did 91. :)

NJFighter91
06-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Normal day I can do 35.

But on the internet, I can do 300 in 2 minutes with one hand......And my penis is also 20" long.......and that I also got a 300 on my IQ test :D

armani_model
06-16-2006, 09:12 AM
i can do 50 or more before i start to die

fraidycat
06-16-2006, 02:28 PM
i can do 50 or more before i start to die

You won't die from push-ups. You'll pass out first. The trick is to quit just after you start seeing electric-purple Cheetos, but before you see a bright light and dead relatives beckoning.

Dempsey 1919
06-16-2006, 03:13 PM
You won't die from push-ups. You'll pass out first. The trick is to quit just after you start seeing electric-purple Cheetos, but before you see a bright light and dead relatives beckoning.

Haha, lol!