View Full Version : Post your top 10 greatest boxers here!!

hemichromis
05-16-2006, 04:38 PM
i've finally decided my list for this week anyway! lol

1. george foreman
2. ali
3. joe louis
4. joe frazier
5. mike tyson
6. lennox lewis
7. evander holyfield
8. larry holmes
9. floyd patterson
10. jack dempsey

honourable mentions go to baer liston and marciano

K-DOGG
05-16-2006, 05:19 PM
Greatest "pure boxers" or best fighters regardless of division?

"today's picks"

Off the Cuff....

Pound-for-Pound

1. Ray Robinson
2. Henry Armstrong
3. Roberto Duran
4. Muhammad Ali
5. Roy Jones Jr.
6. Bob Fitzsimmons
7. Ezzard Charles
8. Mickey Walker
9. Joe Louis
10. Eder Jofre

Pure Boxers:

1. Ray Robinson
2. Willie Pep
3. Charlie Burley
4. Pernell Whitaker
5. Ezzard Charles
6. Eder Jofre
7. James J. Corbett
8. Gene Tunney
9. Salvador Sanchez
10. Ray Leonard

King Koyle
05-16-2006, 05:48 PM
1.Ray Robinson
2.Willie Pep
3.Henry Armstrong
4.Harry Greb
5.Benny Leonard
6.Joe Louis
7.Muhammad Ali
8.Mickey Walker
9.Roberto Duran
10.Gene Tunney

K-DOGG
05-16-2006, 05:51 PM
1.Ray Robinson
2.Willie Pep
3.Henry Armstrong
4.Harry Greb
5.Benny Leonard
6.Joe Louis
7.Muhammad Ali
8.Mickey Walker
9.Roberto Duran
10.Gene Tunney

Damn it. Can't believe I forgot Leonard. :mad:

King Koyle
05-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Damn it. Can't believe I forgot Leonard. :mad:

It's a tough list to make.

Yogi
05-16-2006, 06:07 PM
A simple top ten ranking of the greatest fighters is hard enough, because you do tend to feel like you're leaving a deserving somebody off...Try an extended ranking of a top 50/100 and you're just about guaranteed a week long headache because of it.

P.S. Sam Langford #1

K-DOGG
05-16-2006, 06:57 PM
A simple top ten ranking of the greatest fighters is hard enough, because you do tend to feel like you're leaving a deserving somebody off...Try an extended ranking of a top 50/100 and you're just about guaranteed a week long headache because of it.

P.S. Sam Langford #1

AHHHH!!! LANGFORD!!!

Azteca
05-16-2006, 07:39 PM
1. henry armstrong
2. sugar ray robinson
3. edre jofre
4. joe louis
5. muhammad ali
6. joe gans
7. benny leonard
8. roberto duran
9. harry greb
10. sam langford

Dempsey 1919
05-16-2006, 07:40 PM
1. Muhammad Ali
2. Sugar Ray Leonard
3. Sugar Ray Robinson
4. Roy Jones Jr.
5. Ezzard Charles
6. Joe Gans
7. Willie Pep
8. Archie Moore
9. Sam Langford
10. Sonny Liston

:boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

hellfire508
05-18-2006, 07:24 AM
Heavyweights:
1. Muhammad Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. George Foreman
4. Rocky Marciano
5. Larry Holmes
6. Jack Dempsey
7. Joe Frazier
8. Sonny Liston
9. Jack Johnson
10. Evander Holyfield

P4P:
1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Henry Armstrong
3. Muhammad Ali
4. Harry Greb
5. Roberto Duran
6. Willie Pep
7. Joe Gans
8. Benny Leonard
9. Jimmy Wilde
10. Ray Leonard

Zamora
05-18-2006, 08:02 AM
1.Ali
2.Sugar Ray Leonard
3.Sugar Ray Robinson
4.Joe Louis
5.Roberto Duran
6.Aaron Pryor
7.Nigel Benn
8.Jake La Motta
9.Thomas Hearns
10.Floyd Mayweather Jr.

hellfire508
05-19-2006, 07:37 AM
1.Ali
2.Sugar Ray Leonard
3.Sugar Ray Robinson
4.Joe Louis
5.Roberto Duran
6.Aaron Pryor
7.Nigel Benn
8.Jake La Motta
9.Thomas Hearns
10.Floyd Mayweather Jr.

:( . I respect you having your opinion and all mate, but seriously, that list is pretty bad. It's great that you're having a go, but Jake Lamotta? I can't even get him into my top 10 middleweights, let alont P4P. What about Hagler and Monzon and middleweight? Aaron Pryor? Nigel Benn? PBF? What about guys like Gans, Greb, Benny Leonard, Henry Armstrong (especially), Pernell Whitaker, Willie Pep, Eder Jofre etc.

Maybe you haven't seen these guys fight (we all haven't seen Greb), which is fair enough, but my advice to you: If you wanna study boxing and get right into it, research some of the guys I mentioned. Their records are amazing.

blockhead
05-19-2006, 09:39 AM
srr
h. armstrong
j. gans
pep
greb
langford
duran
b. leonard
r.leonard
j. louis

THE REAL NINJA
05-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Greatest "pure boxers" or best fighters regardless of division?

"today's picks"

Off the Cuff....

Pound-for-Pound

1. Ray Robinson
2. Henry Armstrong
3. Roberto Duran
4. Muhammad Ali
5. Roy Jones Jr.
6. Bob Fitzsimmons
7. Ezzard Charles
8. Mickey Walker
9. Joe Louis
10. Eder Jofre

Pure Boxers:

1. Ray Robinson
2. Willie Pep
3. Charlie Burley
4. Pernell Whitaker
5. Ezzard Charles
6. Eder Jofre
7. James J. Corbett
8. Gene Tunney
9. Salvador Sanchez
10. Ray Leonard
looks good 2 me ...i'd put Sam Langford on my P4P list maybe change a few others around but you have a great list

Yaman
05-19-2006, 01:13 PM
How the hell can you put Creb so high when you've never seen him. Its like saying SRR was the greatest Welterweight ever even though there was no footage. Yes there is no footage.

K-DOGG
05-19-2006, 04:50 PM
looks good 2 me ...i'd put Sam Langford on my P4P list maybe change a few others around but you have a great list

Thanks bud; but it retrospect...you're right about Langford..and I'd add Benny Leonard in there somewhere too.

Yogi
05-19-2006, 06:04 PM
How the hell can you put Creb so high when you've never seen him. Its like saying SRR was the greatest Welterweight ever even though there was no footage. Yes there is no footage.

No, there isn't any footage of Greb that is known to exist today (unless somebody has it under rap), but you don't neccessarily need to see a fighter fight in order to make a judgement on how "great" that fighter is...There's a TON of contemporary writings & fight reports of Greb that are easily available, his record easily is available, etc, etc. We also have a good amount of footage available on some of his opponents (Tunney, Walker, T. Gibbons, McTigue, Loughran...I've seen) and it shouldn't be too difficult to see that it's going to take a hell of a talent to do what he was reported to accomplish with those fighters...

With the contemporary descriptions of his fighting style, the fight reports, the training footage (an added hint at his athletic ability & fighting style), and whatever other info that's available of him, I think we can certainly conclude that Greb was a very talented & very special fighter.

Oh, and there is footage of Robinson at Welterweight, Yaman, as I personally have one of his fights at that weight against Fusari (about 15 minutes worth). A fight of his from 1946 against Sammy Angott is also out there and known to exist.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-19-2006, 07:45 PM
:( . I respect you having your opinion and all mate, but seriously, that list is pretty bad. It's great that you're having a go, but Jake Lamotta? I can't even get him into my top 10 middleweights, let alont P4P. What about Hagler and Monzon and middleweight? Aaron Pryor? Nigel Benn? PBF? What about guys like Gans, Greb, Benny Leonard, Henry Armstrong (especially), Pernell Whitaker, Willie Pep, Eder Jofre etc.

Maybe you haven't seen these guys fight (we all haven't seen Greb), which is fair enough, but my advice to you: If you wanna study boxing and get right into it, research some of the guys I mentioned. Their records are amazing.
your joking right?
jake lamatta i don't really have him figured out p4p but he's definitely a top 10 middle weight. He had the power of a Hw and the chin of a hw. The only person that ever really beat him bad was SRR and He beat SRR once (out of 9 :p ) but the fact is he could take a beating and to the best of my knowledge he was never knocked out. Most of his losses were SD's, others were UD's and the least he got were TKO's.

I think of him as a hw trapped in a Middleweights body.

Azteca
05-20-2006, 12:23 AM
He had the power of a Hw and the chin of a hw.

sorry, but i really have to snicker about that post.

Dempsey 1919
05-20-2006, 01:56 AM
sorry, but i really have to snicker about that post.

yeah, that was pretty dumb, especially the power part. :D

Azteca
05-20-2006, 02:10 AM
yeah, that was pretty dumb, especially the power part. :D

no kidding. lamotta had decent power, but he had one of the weakest ko percentage i've seen from the top-flight boxers of the past 70+ years.

another boxing MYTH.

hellfire508
05-20-2006, 04:05 AM
No, I'm not kidding.

1. Marvin Hagler
2. Carlos Monzon
3. Harry Greb
4. Sugar Ray Robinson
5. Mickey Walker
6. Tony Zale
7. Stanley Ketchel
8. Bernard Hopkins
9. Gene Fullmer
10. Dick Tiger

I rank those guys above Lamotta. He is my number 11. It isnt a perfected list, and im sure i could fit jake in... but thats it at the moment.

JAB5239
10-24-2008, 06:48 AM
Ray Robinson
Harry Greb
Henry Armstrong
Sam Langford
Willie Pep
Ezzard Charles
Mickey Walker
Ray Leonard
Roberto Duran
Joe Gans

After the first four this list is always changing.

KostyaTszyu44
10-24-2008, 07:21 AM
1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Henry Armstrong
3. Muhammad Ali
4. Joe Louis
5. Roberto Duran
6. Willie Pep
7. Ray Leonard
8. Pernell Whitaker
9. Ezzard Charles
10. Archie Moore

KostyaTszyu44
10-24-2008, 07:28 AM
your joking right?
jake lamatta i don't really have him figured out p4p but he's definitely a top 10 middle weight. He had the power of a Hw and the chin of a hw. The only person that ever really beat him bad was SRR and He beat SRR once (out of 9 :p ) but the fact is he could take a beating and to the best of my knowledge he was never knocked out. Most of his losses were SD's, others were UD's and the least he got were TKO's.

I think of him as a hw trapped in a Middleweights body.

umm okay not a great post mate no offence but full of errors

jake was never a big puncher, even though KO % dont tell the full story you can still see from that and from footage he was never a big puncher

you're right about his chin though, that was pretty freakish

and jake was beaten and outclassed by plenty of other guys ( i believe he had 19 losses) besides SRR, and he fought him 6 times, not 9

and he could do a lot more than "take a beating" ,he was a clever fighter in his own right and was very aware in the ring

i dont see how he was a HW trapped in a MW body

that makes no sense really

Kid McCoy
10-24-2008, 12:05 PM

I agree about LaMotta. Tough as he was, he tends to be a bit overrated because he had a great film made about his life.

TheGreatA
10-24-2008, 01:55 PM
I agree about LaMotta. Tough as he was, he tends to be a bit overrated because he had a great film made about his life.

His punching power is overrated but skill-wise he is actually a little underrated.

The film depicts LaMotta as a huge puncher with a great chin and no skill.

The amount of LaMotta's losses drop his all time MW ranking but shouldn't put him out of consideration completely, he had a resume full of great names.

LaMotta doesn't have any business in a top 20 p4p list however.

sugarshanenas
10-24-2008, 02:20 PM
lamotta didn't have power but he had strength which he could bully you around with

i hate how most people rate lamotta sheerly for chin he had a good jab,excellent body puncher,rolled with his punches really well,underrated handspeed,etc

1SILVA
10-27-2008, 12:55 AM
10 Greatest Fighters of all-time

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Ray Robinson
3. Henry Armstrong
4. Joe Louis
5. Jack Johnson
6. Rocky Marciano
7. Ray Leonard
8. Aaron Pryor
9. Floyd Mayweather
10. Alexis Arguello

McGoorty
09-12-2011, 05:25 PM
i've finally decided my list for this week anyway! lol

1. george foreman
2. ali
3. joe louis
4. joe frazier
5. mike tyson
6. lennox lewis
7. evander holyfield
8. larry holmes
9. floyd patterson
10. jack dempsey

honourable mentions go to baer liston and marciano
This is my reply to one of the stupidest lists I've ever seen......... I mean HW's ONLY.... Her's my reply list,... no apologies given. ----------------------------------------------------------GREATEST P4P ALL-TIME BEST & GREATEST TOP 10. ---------------- #1. BOB MIROVIC. ---------------------------- #2. DEAN WATERS. ----------------------------- #3. Lenny Zappavigna. ------------------------- #4. Satoshi Shingaki. ------------------ #5. Marvin Hart. ----------------- #6. Obelix The Gaul. ---------------------- #7. Antwun Echolls. --------------------- #8. Bob Fitzsimmons IV. --------------------- #9. Don Bronco Johnson. --------------- #10. New Zealand Young Kid Dixie Smith O'Brien

McGoorty
09-12-2011, 05:29 PM
This is my reply to one of the stupidest lists I've ever seen......... I mean HW's ONLY.... Her's my reply list,... no apologies given. ----------------------------------------------------------GREATEST P4P ALL-TIME BEST & GREATEST TOP 10. ---------------- #1. BOB MIROVIC. ---------------------------- #2. DEAN WATERS. ----------------------------- #3. Lenny Zappavigna. ------------------------- #4. Satoshi Shingaki. ------------------ #5. Marvin Hart. ----------------- #6. Obelix The Gaul. ---------------------- #7. Antwun Echolls. --------------------- #8. Bob Fitzsimmons IV. --------------------- #9. Don Bronco Johnson. --------------- #10. New Zealand Young Kid Dixie Smith O'Brien
Honourable mention to Guy Waters and Leo Houck