View Full Version : tyson-tilis

leff
05-15-2006, 10:44 AM
exactly how was the tyson-tilis fight, since i cant remember it

Yaman
05-15-2006, 10:55 AM
This was Tyson's first tough fight and legitimate fighter. He came off a 19 KO win streak to start his career, and when he met Tillis at the age of 19, he had to go to the decision for the first time. Tillis used Ali's style and he was able to survive against Tyson. James Tillis won like 3 or 4 rounds in this 10 round fight. Some people try to use this to show Tyson's flaws, but remember, he was 19, coming off a 19 ko winning streak and never went to the decision yet, so he wasnt experienced yet.

leff
05-15-2006, 11:05 AM
This was Tyson's first tough fight and legitimate fighter. He came off a 19 KO win streak to start his career, and when he met Tillis at the age of 19, he had to go to the decision for the first time. Tillis used Ali's style and he was able to survive against Tyson. James Tillis won like 3 or 4 rounds in this 10 round fight. Some people try to use this to show Tyson's flaws, but remember, he was 19, coming off a 19 ko winning streak and never went to the decision yet, so he wasnt experienced yet.

oh ok

think i heard that tilis was robbed

Yaman
05-15-2006, 11:43 AM
No, Tyson even knocked him down in the 3rd and almost KO'd him at the end of some rounds.

Brassangel
05-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Yeah, Tillis wasn't going to win this fight, but he did have experience, height, reach, and ring savvy going for him. A 19-year-old Tyson still looked pretty good going the distance, despite the frustration he showed in the last round. Had he more experience, but with the same hunger he had during his youth, he likely would have put Tillis down and out.

sleazyfellow
05-15-2006, 12:39 PM
funny thing about this fight after mike knocks him down one time tillis gets up n winks at him lol....another thing is mr. cowboy resembles trevor burklebick alot, not in styles but in the face

UnderControl-
05-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Tyson had no 19 KO winning streak, Jesse Fergusen was disqualified prior to the Tillis bout. :p (A great, great fight by the way, Jesse's nose was broken in the 5th, Tyson showed trmendous body punching)

sleazyfellow
05-15-2006, 12:55 PM
yeah yeah, he broke marcianos ko streak, i remember the hype about that, i think marciano 16, mike 17 kos....but i have no idea who really holds the title to most consecutive kos to start a career, ive heard stories of jack dempsy, jack johnson going 20 or so ko streak..cant beleive anything these boxing gurus tell u!!!

Brassangel
05-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Jesse's nose was not only broken, but the skin that attaches the nostrils to the upper lip was partially separated. And yes, he did show tremendous body punching abilities; something that many people claim he avoided.

Tillis fought well and was a legitimate contender; Tyson wasn't going to knock out everybody.

Yogi
05-15-2006, 02:25 PM
Yeah sure, nothing says "legitimate contender" like losing four out of your last five fights before facing Tyson, and that streak was from a fighter who, even when he was at his peak during the early 80's, could only barely manage to sneak into the top ten in the heavyweight ratings (the highest Tillis made it from what I see in some of the rankings I have from his time was 8th ranked in Jan of 1982, which would've been just before the title fight with Weaver).

Tillis was no contender when Tyson faced him.

Dempsey 1919
05-15-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah sure, nothing says "legitimate contender" like losing four out of your last five fights before facing Tyson, and that streak was from a fighter who, even when he was at his peak during the early 80's, could only barely manage to sneak into the top ten in the heavyweight ratings (the highest Tillis made it from what I see in some of the rankings I have from his time was 8th ranked in Jan of 1982, which would've been just before the title fight with Weaver).

Tillis was no contender when Tyson faced him.

you hate tyson, don't you?

Yogi
05-15-2006, 02:34 PM
you hate tyson, don't you?

Why...is it because I disagreed with someone's statement calling Tillis a "legitimate contender" when everything else points to something factually different...the ratings from that time, his losing streak, and heck even Tyson's own bio referred to Tillis' non-contender status ("defeats had cost him his place in the world rankings")?

Yaman
05-15-2006, 02:39 PM
You and smasher are like brothers. Both obsessed with Tysons flaws while there are a million fighters with more flaws.

James Tillis was approaching his 40th fight while Tyson was in the ring for the 20th time. He was inexperienced, Tillis was not. Tillis stood in the ring with some of the best fighter of his era. He was not a top 10 HW of the world though(except for a few times), but dont try to make it seem like Tillis was a bum that Tyson should have ko'd.

Yogi
05-15-2006, 02:52 PM
You and smasher are like brothers. Both obsessed with Tysons flaws while there are a million fighters with more flaws.

James Tillis was approaching his 40th fight while while Tyson was in the ring for the 20th time. He was inexperienced, Tillis was not. Tillis stood in the ring with some of the best fighter of his era. He was not a top 10 HW of the world ever though, but dont try to make it seem like Tillis was a bum that Tyson should have ko'd.

And as a Tyson fan, one can say that you are obsessed with Tyson's strengths and are quick to dismiss his flaws with excuses or whatever.

I don't like the guy because I think he was a piece of **** outside the ring and in some cases, inside the ring (I also think he was a hell of a talent inside the ring, as well). Whereas you are obviously a big fan of his...Doesn't make either of our opinions invalid right off the bat because we have different "feelings" for the guy.

P.S. I didn't call Tillis a "bum" or whatever else you think you're reading into when I simply stated that he wasn't a "legitimate contender" at the time he faced Tyson.

LondonRingRules
05-15-2006, 07:42 PM
I simply stated that he wasn't a "legitimate contender" at the time he faced Tyson.
** Tillis was a former title contender who was savvy enough to know a win over a touted prospect like Tyson would secure him another big fight. You should check out the washerwomen young 19 yr old Clay was fighting, or young 19 yr old any heavy was facing.

Azteca
05-15-2006, 08:21 PM
i felt tillis was robbed. he neutralized tyson very well in the fight and was unlucky to not come away with the decision.

Kid Achilles
05-15-2006, 08:24 PM
If he wasn't a top ten fighter when Tyson fought him, then he wasn't. Yogi may be biased against Tyson but a fact is a fact.

Da Iceman
05-15-2006, 09:19 PM
i havent seen the fight in over a year, but i remember thinking tyson won a close fight. it showed us tysons true stamina.

The Troll
05-15-2006, 10:52 PM
I've said this before. James Quick Tillis and his team set the blueprint on how to defeat Mike Tyson.

Heckler
05-16-2006, 06:34 AM
Tyson looked good in the first couple of rounds, but unlike Tyson's other opponents he did not wilt and instead persevered and made an honourable attempt at neutralising Tyson from the outside. Tyson became frustrated and as a result put on a poor performance relative to his other fights.

SABBATH
05-16-2006, 06:48 AM
You should check out the washerwomen young 19 yr old Clay was fighting, or young 19 yr old any heavy was facing.Sure thing Tex old boy, and at 23 years of age Ali had stopped former champions Liston (twice) and Patterson while Tyson was KO'd by a 42-1 underdog who in his entire career would never score a stoppage win over a top 10 contender much less even floor one....

Da Iceman
05-16-2006, 08:36 AM
I've said this before. James Quick Tillis and his team set the blueprint on how to defeat Mike Tyson.
i think buster watched that fight b4 he fought tyson.

Yaman
05-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Tillis was NOT robbed. He merely won a few rounds. Tyson stole most of the close rounds by having a huge brawl of 7 punch combos at the end of the rounds. He also knocked Tillis down, and that was a 10-8 round.

Da Iceman
05-16-2006, 08:57 AM
Tillis was NOT robbed. He merely won a few rounds. Tyson stole most of the close rounds by having a huge brawl of 7 punch combos at the end of the rounds. He also knocked Tillis down, and that was a 10-8 round.
but tillis came back and dominated the round so it was 10/10 for me. just because somebody gets knocked down doesnt make it a 10/8 round.

Yaman
05-16-2006, 09:00 AM
but tillis came back and dominated the round so it was 10/10 for me. just because somebody gets knocked down doesnt make it a 10/8 round.

Since when can a guy make a 10-8 a 10-10 round after a knockdown? :rolleyes: It wasn't like he even rocked Tyson, or even came close to knocking him down. It went pretty even after that cause Tyson wanted to knock him out.

I dont know what fight ya'll were watching. I watch it every week.

Heckler
05-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Tyson won, not by much, but he won.

Brassangel
05-16-2006, 10:06 AM
Okay, when I said "contender," I didn't mean title contender. I was referring to the fact that he was a legitimate contender for Tyson, given their style, differences in experience, etc.

mokele
05-16-2006, 10:16 AM
Tyson-Tillis was a close fight. I wasn't even sure that Tyson had won when it was over, but the judges had him comfortably ahead (6-4, 6-4 and 8-2 in rounds). Tillis was already shopworn with 8 losses but he looked very good against Tyson and managed to stay outside most of the time. Tillis didn't take a serious beating like many of Tyson's opponents at that time even though he wasn't nearly as big as guys like Frank Bruno. Tyson was far more disciplined at that time than he was later in his career. He was content to stay outside and box against Tillis for part of the fight, and work his way inside using his jab.

Brassangel
05-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Originally Posted by mokele
Tyson-Tillis was a close fight. I wasn't even sure that Tyson had won when it was over, but the judges had him comfortably ahead (6-4, 6-4 and 8-2 in rounds). Tillis was already shopworn with 8 losses but he looked very good against Tyson and managed to stay outside most of the time. Tillis didn't take a serious beating like many of Tyson's opponents at that time even though he wasn't nearly as big as guys like Frank Bruno. Tyson was far more disciplined at that time than he was later in his career. He was content to stay outside and box against Tillis for part of the fight, and work his way inside using his jab.

Very well said.

SABBATH
05-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Tyson-Tillis was a close fight. I wasn't even sure that Tyson had won when it was over, but the judges had him comfortably ahead (6-4, 6-4 and 8-2 in rounds). Two 6-4 scorecards in a 10 round fight my friend is not comfortably ahead, that's called a very close fight.

Tyson won round 10 which he needed to do to win the fight. Had Tillis won round 10 the scores would have been 5-5, 5-5, and 8-2.

Tyson was 3 minutes away from a majority draw.

Yogi
05-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Since when can a guy make a 10-8 a 10-10 round after a knockdown?

Like when a guy wins a round very clearly but suffers a flash knockdown during those three minutes.