View Full Version : Was it my fault?

El Sniper
05-13-2006, 07:03 PM
I started a boxing club out here and I got 16oz gloves, Headgear, mouthpeices, groin protection, Vaseline, towels, handwraps and I even bulit a ring. Today I matched up these two Heavyweights against each other and one of them was new. The other one was more experienced but he was stuck in his ways so he rarely listened to my advice. Anyway, the new guy with no experience ended up busting the other guys lip. I took the guy to the medic and they said he needed sergury. That's how bad it was. You should have seen the new guy. I taught him some basic things and told him to stay on his toes. He grasped it instantly. He said he never boxed but he wrestled. Go figure. The other guy was passive and he never listened to my instructions the whole time we've been training. I told the new guy it's just sparring. I told the old guy to take it easy on the new guy but if he felt threatened he should step it up. I've had my nose busted twice and my lip busted once but never that bad. I told the guy that it was his fault for keeping his mouth open when he's tired and he wasn't protecting himself anyway. Even though the other guy was a beginner, he didn't wanna get his ass kicked so I understand the added agressiveness. For some reason I feel like it's my fault.

RAESAAD
05-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Don't feel bad they are both grown men I am assuming and knew what they were getting into.It is actually a good story a cinderella story of sorts.No matter how much you think you know you should always welcome advice from an onlooker.

LoftyDog
05-13-2006, 07:19 PM
You shouldn't feel guilty or anything, **** like that happends, especially in boxing. You were right to worry more for the new guy than the one with more experiance and you had no way of knowing that it was going to happen. The experianced guy just had to learn the hard way when it comes to listening to instructions. It's not your fault, its just boxing.

El Sniper
05-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Don't feel bad they are both grown men I am assuming and knew what they were getting into.It is actually a good story a cinderella story of sorts.No matter how much you think you know you should always welcome advice from an onlooker.

I hear you man. I put up fliers all around camp saying FREE BOXING CLUB, other experienced boxers are welcomed to train and sparring is optional. I didn't want to intimidate anyone plus I wanted some ladies to join. For some reason everyone wants to sparr though. Once they get their ass kicked they dissapear. I have no choice but to stay wether I get my ass kicked or not because I started the club. LOL! Nobody beat me yet thank god.

El Sniper
05-13-2006, 07:27 PM
You shouldn't feel guilty or anything, **** like that happends, especially in boxing. You were right to worry more for the new guy than the one with more experiance and you had no way of knowing that it was going to happen. The experianced guy just had to learn the hard way when it comes to listening to instructions. It's not your fault, its just boxing.

I know dude but you should have seen this guys lip. The cut was like the one Lewis gave to Klitschko on his eye. Disgusting. What's makes it worse is that the dude was complaining about how hard the new guy was hitting. What a *****!

oliverlt
05-13-2006, 07:33 PM
I think the guy threw the fight just to get to go to germany. Ahh the Heif Wisen. The only thing that is your fault is that you didn't think of it first.

El Sniper
05-13-2006, 07:38 PM
I think the guy threw the fight just to get to go to germany. Ahh the Heif Wisen. The only thing that is your fault is that you didn't think of it first.

Lol! I was thinkin the same thing at first but then I thought-he's going home in a month anyway. They're not gonna send him home for this ****. No way! He told the medics he tripped over a sandbag. LOL! They didn't believe him. They get guys from my class going over there all the time. Nothing this bad though. The medics were LTFAO

oliverlt
05-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Lol! I was thinkin the same thing at first but then I thought-he's going home in a month anyway. They're not gonna send him home for this ****. No way! He told the medics he tripped over a sandbag. LOL! They didn't believe him. They get guys from my class going over there all the time. Nothing this bad though. The medics were LTFAO

are you from bragg

El Sniper
05-13-2006, 07:50 PM
are you from bragg

Yeah. Sorry!

oliverlt
05-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Yeah. Sorry!

**** I just left there in mar for bliss. Bliss is just like Kuwait. I think it's ironic we are going to NTC in aug from here. I mean do we really have to go there to train in the desert when we are already in one.

El Sniper
05-13-2006, 08:08 PM
**** I just left there in mar for bliss. Bliss is just like Kuwait. I think it's ironic we are going to NTC in aug from here. I mean do we really have to go there to train in the desert when we are already in one.

That sucks. My boy (also a boxer) went to train up at hood from bragg for a year on a new chopper now he's going back to IQ. That doesn't make sense. He spent a year away from fam now he will spend another in a row. Anyway, he told me hood had a good boxing team and I was going there when I reuped but I chose Germany then they stop lossed me so I can go here. I didn't really mind. Gotta get it out of the way so I can come here again and again and again.

enadeus
05-14-2006, 10:58 PM
You gotta be careful not to get caught with a lawsuit.

El Sniper
05-15-2006, 02:28 AM
You gotta be careful not to get caught with a lawsuit.

Members in the Army can't sue each other, we can only get each other in trouble. Such as a verbal counsel or they would order me to end my boxing club. The most I can get is extra duty or something but I don't think that would happen since boxing is a sanctioned sport by the US military.

enadeus
05-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Members in the Army can't sue each other, we can only get each other in trouble. Such as a verbal counsel or they would order me to end my boxing club. The most I can get is extra duty or something but I don't think that would happen since boxing is a sanctioned sport by the US military.

I had no idea you were in the army, sorry. On a side note, I want to thank you for serving our country. I myself wanted to go to West Point and got in, but my mom freaked out, and I had to reconsider :mad:

RockyMarcianofan00
05-16-2006, 01:53 AM
I started a boxing club out here and I got 16oz gloves, Headgear, mouthpeices, groin protection, Vaseline, towels, handwraps and I even bulit a ring. Today I matched up these two Heavyweights against each other and one of them was new. The other one was more experienced but he was stuck in his ways so he rarely listened to my advice. Anyway, the new guy with no experience ended up busting the other guys lip. I took the guy to the medic and they said he needed sergury. That's how bad it was. You should have seen the new guy. I taught him some basic things and told him to stay on his toes. He grasped it instantly. He said he never boxed but he wrestled. Go figure. The other guy was passive and he never listened to my instructions the whole time we've been training. I told the new guy it's just sparring. I told the old guy to take it easy on the new guy but if he felt threatened he should step it up. I've had my nose busted twice and my lip busted once but never that bad. I told the guy that it was his fault for keeping his mouth open when he's tired and he wasn't protecting himself anyway. Even though the other guy was a beginner, he didn't wanna get his ass kicked so I understand the added agressiveness. For some reason I feel like it's my fault.
Boxing is a full contact sport and when stepping into the ring for sparring or for a fight the people going in should relize the seriousness of the sport. Its a full contact sport, and even with protection injuries are bound to happen. He needs surgery thats bad but the fact is by stepping into the ring he basically said that he understands that anything can happen. He's lucky something worse didn't happen, its very easy to mess your eyes up permanatley. So you shouldn't feel guilty. Oh and Props for starting a boxing gym

El Sniper
05-16-2006, 04:46 AM
Boxing is a full contact sport and when stepping into the ring for sparring or for a fight the people going in should relize the seriousness of the sport. Its a full contact sport, and even with protection injuries are bound to happen. He needs surgery thats bad but the fact is by stepping into the ring he basically said that he understands that anything can happen. He's lucky something worse didn't happen, its very easy to mess your eyes up permanatley. So you shouldn't feel guilty. Oh and Props for starting a boxing gym

Thanks for the props. I really had no idea how much all this equipment would cost. I even made a ring. That was free though. I got the wood, ropes and floor padding from the Navy guys and I cut up an old matress for the corner padding. The thing that killed me was the fact that the kid was *****ing about it from the ring to the medics. He stopped *****ing when I told him I've had 2 broken noses and a busted lip. I told him that mine looked like I had herpes to the 10 power. He also stop crying after he got all this attention from the female medics.

SquareCircle
05-16-2006, 01:29 PM
Good story

wojewodztwo_pl
05-17-2006, 11:23 AM
just wondering bro, how was the guy that got his lip busted, i mean how did he act after. was he humble, and didnt blame either his sparring partner or yourself, or was he angry? just a thought, because if he had any sort of maturity and respect he would have realised that it was his fault for not keeping his right over his face.

Southpaw16
05-17-2006, 02:31 PM
If you put in an experienced guy with a new guy and the experienced guy beat the crap out of him, then you might be partially responsible for not stepping in. This you really couldn't have seen coming.

As long as you had them sparring with headgears, mouthpieces, and 16 oz gloves then it wasn't your fault. But also I think you should check to make sure the gloves don't have any bad cracks in them or anything like that that might cause a cut to happen more easily. A lip that is busted that badly with 16 oz gloves is rare.

El Sniper
05-17-2006, 04:40 PM
just wondering bro, how was the guy that got his lip busted, i mean how did he act after. was he humble, and didnt blame either his sparring partner or yourself, or was he angry? just a thought, because if he had any sort of maturity and respect he would have realised that it was his fault for not keeping his right over his face.

To answer your question, the guy was acting like the new guy was just supposed to lay down. He took him lightly and even complained about how hard he got hit. The new guy said he got hit hard too but he wasn't complaining. He saw it as part of the sport. To answer SouthPaw 16, the gloves were brand new from Everlast and I inspected them since they were on special, I don't wanna get jipped. I think the reason for his lip was the fact that fatigue set in and his lip was hanging in the air. We spoke about it later and he realises that it was his fault for not following instructions. I'm over it. Thank you for all the replies. BS is a fountain of knowledge!