View Full Version : Trivia Anyone?

oldgringo
05-11-2006, 11:17 PM
A chance to learn some info if everything runs smoothly. Simply answer the prvious question and then give your own about the history of the sport. If any information is mistakenly flase then don't jump all over the person who provided it.

Q: What was the longest recorded bout in the history of boxing and who were the two participants?

Smokin'
05-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Joe Gans - Battle Nelson.

Yogi
05-11-2006, 11:29 PM
Under Queensberry Rules, that honour would go to Andy Bowen & Jack Burke, who fought for 110 rounds in a fight which took more than seven hours in total time.

Smokin'
05-11-2006, 11:31 PM
nice googling ;)

Yogi
05-11-2006, 11:35 PM
Oh shoot, forget to propose a question.

Umm...Alright, I hope this isn't all that difficult, but who was the first ever Russian born fighter to win a world championship?

Yogi
05-11-2006, 11:36 PM
nice googling ;)

No google for me...but books are good to have around.

Smokin'
05-11-2006, 11:50 PM
True.

By the way, I don't know your answer. The only russian born fighter I know of is Tszyu.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-12-2006, 01:24 AM
No google for me...but books are good to have around.
Yogi's what we call "Princeton Material" lol

Smokin'
05-12-2006, 01:25 AM
I've never actually heard him give his own opinion. He just regurgitates facts over and over.

oldgringo
05-12-2006, 02:02 AM
I'll take a stab at your question Yogi...although I don't know if it's right...

Was it the flyweight champ Yuri Arbachkov(sp?) He made several defenses of the WBC flyweight title and lost it to Sasakul, who Manny Pacquiao later knocked out.

Hey Yogi just for a bonus on that longest fight ever question...do you remember how much the purse was?

Yogi
05-12-2006, 09:09 PM
I'll take a stab at your question Yogi...although I don't know if it's right...

Was it the flyweight champ Yuri Arbachkov(sp?) He made several defenses of the WBC flyweight title and lost it to Sasakul, who Manny Pacquiao later knocked out.

Hey Yogi just for a bonus on that longest fight ever question...do you remember how much the purse was?

Good try, Gringo, but it was Louis 'Kid' Kaplan who was reportedly the first ever Russian born world champion, and sorry I wouldn't have any idea what the purse was for the Bowen/Burke fight...The little tidbit on that fight in Harry Mullan's book, which is where I got the info from, only says;

"Longest Fight
110 rounds (7 hours 19 minutes) Andy Bowen drew with Jack Burke, New Orleans, April 6, 1893"

That's all it says.

Kid Achilles
05-12-2006, 09:11 PM
7 hours and 19 minutes? Even if fought at a snail's pace (I don't believe that it was), that would be hell.

Dempsey 1919
05-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Good try, Gringo, but it was Louis 'Kid' Kaplan who was reportedly the first ever Russian born world champion, and sorry I wouldn't have any idea what the purse was for the Bowen/Burke fight...The little tidbit on that fight in Harry Mullan's book, which is where I got the info from, only says;

"Longest Fight
110 rounds (7 hours 19 minutes) Andy Bowen drew with Jack Burke, New Orleans, April 6, 1893"

That's all it says.

hey yogi, did you go to this thread for the day?

NBA Playoffs + Boxing = (http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70271&page=12&pp=10)

Yogi
05-12-2006, 09:18 PM
I've never actually heard him give his own opinion. He just regurgitates facts over and over.

I probably don't do it as much in recent times (at least on here...still do so elsewhere), but I used to give/post my own personal opinions in pretty much every post I used to type out on here...Nowadays though, the VAST majority of discussions are on heavyweights (mainly mythical matchups, ratings, and such) and normally I can't be too bothered going down that road yet again for the umpteenth time.

P.S. I am very much looking forward to Brass' middleweight tournament whenever that gets up and running, as there will likely be some fresh topics/matchups to discuss.

Yogi
05-12-2006, 09:23 PM
7 hours and 19 minutes? Even if fought at a snail's pace (I don't believe that it was), that would be hell.

That's something, hey?

****, even though many of the old bareknuckle fights are noteworthy for their lengthy durations , that Bowen/Burke fight still has any of those bareknuckle matches beat as far as total time goes by over an hour (James Kelly/Jack Smith, Oct 19th, 1856...6 hrs, 15 min)

RockyMarcianofan00
05-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey Yogi do u know who won taht bought or was it a draw?

Yogi
05-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Hey Yogi do u know who won taht bought or was it a draw?

The Bowen/Burke fight was a draw, yes.

Dempsey 1919
05-12-2006, 09:37 PM
hey yogi, did you go to this thread for the day?

NBA Playoffs + Boxing = (http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70271&page=12&pp=10)

well, have you?

Yogi
05-12-2006, 09:41 PM
well, have you?

I haven't really been following that thread since you started it, Butterfly, so no...I haven't looked at it today.

Smokin'
05-12-2006, 09:42 PM
LOL, sorry butterfly. I looked at it and it's REALLY poorly written. Plus, I'd rather someone talk about a mythical matchup that is actually qualified to do so.

Dempsey 1919
05-12-2006, 09:59 PM
LOL, sorry butterfly. I looked at it and it's REALLY poorly written. Plus, I'd rather someone talk about a mythical matchup that is actually qualified to do so.

haha, lol. your the first person that said i couldn't write. what, you jealous *****? so you think you could do a better job than me, lol. that'll be the day! :rolleyes:

Smokin'
05-12-2006, 10:04 PM
LOL. Yeah my vocabulary/writing ability is much better then yours. You actually think that crap you write is well written? You're delusional.

Dempsey 1919
05-12-2006, 10:07 PM
LOL. Yeah my vocabulary/writing ability is much better then yours. You actually think that crap you write is well written? You're delusional.

hahahaha, so you think you could write better than me? i go to college, while you probably work at some chicken shack, lol! and you come on here talking ****? ahahahaha, you know what, if you stop saying anything now, then i'll forget the whole thing. :D

j
05-12-2006, 11:48 PM
****, that makes john l sullivan's 75 round title defense against kilrain look like a walk around the block. but maybe the 2 and a half hour fight against kilrain was the longest title fight? anybody know of a longer title fight?

LondonRingRules
05-12-2006, 11:58 PM
This is a well known HOFer who late in his career was forced to KO his opponent twice because of unruly fan behavior. Not only, but his victim was suspended from boxing for a year because of his poor performance.

Name the fight.

Smokin'
05-13-2006, 12:01 AM
I'll guess Bowe-Holyfield but that's only because of the unruly fan behaviour. I really have no idea....

oldgringo
05-13-2006, 12:29 AM

"Longest Fight

That's all it says.

He's (Yuri) the only earlier russian champion I knew of (although he was fighting as recently as the mid 90's)...I haven't even really heard much about Kaplan.

The Bowen/Burke purse was a measly (well it was probably fine for the times) $2,500.

Rockin'
05-18-2006, 07:57 AM
hahahaha, so you think you could write better than me? i go to college, while you probably work at some chicken shack, lol! and you come on here talking ****? ahahahaha, you know what, if you stop saying anything now, then i'll forget the whole thing. :D

You may learn things from your books ButterFly, but your mother should have taught you about humbleness, descencey and well, just not being a little.....

Books and schools are a great place to learn things but it will not fully prepare you for the world ahead. There is so much more to learn than from books alone. Books are what people write, in the world is how it goes. You'll see.........

Rockin' :boxing:

Dye
05-18-2006, 06:06 PM
here's some trivia whats the fastest knockout of a heavyweight?