View Full Version : Wearing Contacts while boxing?????

-Nova-
05-11-2006, 09:46 PM
I know its dumb, but i know someone who always used to get hhis ass kicked in sparring sessions. He wore glasses, and claimed he couldn't see in the ring. But he recently got contacts, and now he's like 30 times better. Should he continue wearing contacts in the ring?

+= El Jefe=+
05-11-2006, 09:48 PM
I know its dumb, but i know someone who always used to get hhis ass kicked in sparring sessions. He wore glasses, and claimed he couldn't see in the ring. But he recently got contacts, and now he's like 30 times better. Should he continue wearing contacts in the ring?
yeah till one gets punched out, then he spends 5 hours looking for it.
i use glasses but i've never worn contacts in the ring

-Nova-
05-11-2006, 09:49 PM
He says he has back ups

+= El Jefe=+
05-11-2006, 09:50 PM
He says he has back ups
yeah but contacts aint all that cheap

yrrej
05-11-2006, 11:32 PM
I remember when they stopped a fight so they could search for a contact. Tell him to forget boxing if he can't see any better than that......

LightsOut Le
05-12-2006, 12:50 AM
i wear contacts doesnt bother me at all...cept today i had an infection from sleepign with it...so one good shot and i couldnt open my right eye...but other then that mines never pop out...maybe he jsut sucks

Peterp
05-12-2006, 12:59 AM
I wear daily disposable contacts and i wear them for boxing

With the very rare occasions one comes out, i bring a few backup contacts.

I would recommend only wearing disposable contacts when boxing because they are near impossible to find afterwards

Allen_Poe
05-12-2006, 01:19 AM
reading these comments are a huge relief for me, as I wear contacts and I've been worrying about what Im going to do once i start sparring.

ricecrispi
05-12-2006, 01:56 AM
A lot of guys spar and even fight wearing contacts. Judah I know for sure wore contacts as a pro. You just need to bring a second pair if one gets knocked out.

Contacts are cheap. Cost aboue the same as a box of condoms so thats cheap enough to me :P

LightsOut Le
05-12-2006, 02:31 AM
are you sure?..contacts arent cheap...it cost 40 bucks a box...

everytime one pops out i jsut put them back in..i dont have back up ones

-EX-
05-12-2006, 08:33 PM
I'd try fighting without them. I also wear glasses. If he can't see the man in front of him throwing punches and moving then that can't be good.

DoubleZ711
05-12-2006, 10:11 PM
I have thought about wearing contacts in the ring, but I am afraid that one might slip up and get lost in my head somewhere. Anyways, for the time being I am able to see the guy in front of me without much problem so I am fine until my vision changes...

Misterp4p
05-13-2006, 03:49 AM
damn, ricecrispi is u serious how u kno judah wore contacts?

LightsOut Le
05-13-2006, 11:51 AM
just because you can see the guy in front of you it wont help that much...if you have contacts you will see everythign crystal clear...so you can see his shoulders move and predict his next punch...without contacts i jsut see him but everything is blurry...all of the sudden i would get hit and i couldnt tell where it came from

Built 2 Last
05-14-2006, 02:19 PM
this is a gud post..i wear contacts but i dnt no wot 2 do bout sparring n ****.i wear contacts wen i train....ill giv it a go doing both

ne other advice or tips 2 help?

LightsOut Le
05-14-2006, 03:30 PM
make sure you clean them before you put them back in yoru after they fall out...

i got an infection in my left eye cause it dropped on the floor while i was sparring...i jsut stuck it back in and kept goin

-Nova-
05-14-2006, 11:43 PM
make sure you clean them before you put them back in yoru after they fall out...

i got an infection in my left eye cause it dropped on the floor while i was sparring...i jsut stuck it back in and kept goin

no offense, but that was real stupid :)

Kayo
05-14-2006, 11:48 PM
If you live in canada(cause its cheap) get laser eye surgery

boxer2k5
05-15-2006, 05:57 PM
yeah i wear soft contact lenses

i have bad eyestight but ive won fights
without my contacts

but i jsut feel better with them
i mean who doesnt want to see clear

pretty much my whole camp wears contacts

Misterp4p
05-15-2006, 07:09 PM
good to hear i wasnt the only 1 sparring with contacts im sure everyone here is looking foward to that lasik surgery

Allen_Poe
05-16-2006, 02:38 AM
I start sparring this thursday, i was talking to my coach about it this past saturday, he told me as long as they're soft contacts i shouldnt have a problem. he was telling me I may want to talk to Augie (Augie Sanchez, one of our coaches), that he wore contacts until after he stopped fighting, thats when he had the lasik done.

boxer2k5
05-16-2006, 05:09 PM
I start sparring this thursday, i was talking to my coach about it this past saturday, he told me as long as they're soft contacts i shouldnt have a problem. he was telling me I may want to talk to Augie (Augie Sanchez, one of our coaches), that he wore contacts until after he stopped fighting, thats when he had the lasik done.

yeah they have to be soft contact lenses

i not onyl train in them
i fight in them
they come out sometimes but never in a fight