View Full Version : Larry Holmes On Marciano, Louis, Ali And Tyson

SABBATH
05-11-2006, 07:26 PM
After reading this I think Butterfly and Larry Holmes are the same person....

EL: A little word association, tell me the first thing that comes to mind. Iíll start with Rocky Marciano?

LH: He was a good fighter, strong and powerful for his size and from what I have seen and heard he was a very determined fighter. You canít put those guys like Marciano or anyone else in with todayís class of fighters. Fighters today are much bigger, stronger and quicker and not only that but referees, judges and doctors back then were very strict and if your head got busted up the fight would be stopped.

EL: Joe Louis?

LH: Joe Louis was a good Heavyweight, good boxer but he was kind of in the same boat as Marciano, weighing about 190 to 200 lbs. The guys today are just too strong and back then they would take many hard punches to land one. I donít think Joe Louis could take the punches today fighting in this era.

EL: Muhammad Ali?

LH: Muhammad could take a very good punch. He was slick, he could move, he could hit, make you miss, good hand speed and combinations and one of the greatest fighters of all time in my opinion. He would have been tough for anyone to beat including me. With both of us in our prime I still think I would have won. It would have been very tough.

EL: Mike Tyson?

LH: Mike Tyson would have been a good sparring partner for me and Muhammad Ali because Tyson was a fast fighter and he could punch and throw good combinations. Those guys were made for me and Muhammad because they come straight in and donít back up but you had to watch out for his punching power but if we could have neutralized that then we would have been fine.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-11-2006, 07:39 PM
Larry Holmes was a good fighter but his views on old boxers are alittle wierd.
him beating muhammad ali?
marciano not being able to beat todays hw's?
Tyson only good enough to be a sparring partner?
kinda makes you wonder how hard he's been hit

LondonRingRules
05-11-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm sure Larry can be very gracious, but he's known more for his idiotic public comments.

Yogi
05-11-2006, 07:46 PM
"I think the older fighters had a lot more skill and heart than today's fighters. Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Ali Jack Dempsey, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Earnie Shavers, Ken Norton, Jerry Quarry, George Chuvalo.....all were great fighters and hard to rank. Guys that we didn't hear too much of like Jimmy Young, Jeff Merritt, Bossman Jones were great fighters also and could beat today's guy." - Larry Holmes (said by him on his website)

dansweeney
05-11-2006, 07:51 PM

EL: A little word association, tell me the first thing that comes to mind. Iíll start with Rocky Marciano?

LH: He was a good fighter, strong and powerful for his size and from what I have seen and heard he was a very determined fighter. You canít put those guys like Marciano or anyone else in with todayís class of fighters. Fighters today are much bigger, stronger and quicker and not only that but referees, judges and doctors back then were very strict and if your head got busted up the fight would be stopped.

LH: Joe Louis was a good Heavyweight, good boxer but he was kind of in the same boat as Marciano, weighing about 190 to 200 lbs. The guys today are just too strong and back then they would take many hard punches to land one. I donít think Joe Louis could take the punches today fighting in this era.

LH: Muhammad could take a very good punch. He was slick, he could move, he could hit, make you miss, good hand speed and combinations and one of the greatest fighters of all time in my opinion. He would have been tough for anyone to beat including me. With both of us in our prime I still think I would have won. It would have been very tough.

LH: Mike Tyson would have been a good sparring partner for me and Muhammad Ali because Tyson was a fast fighter and he could punch and throw good combinations. Those guys were made for me and Muhammad because they come straight in and donít back up but you had to watch out for his punching power but if we could have neutralized that then we would have been fine.

of course he wouldn't give tyson any credit, tyson beat his ass and was the only man to ever stop holmes, and holmes fought many times after that, mercer, holyfield, and others still couldn't do what tyson did years later. and him talking like he and Ali are the same fighter is bogus as hell.

DaddysBoy
05-12-2006, 08:22 AM
What a ****in joke! ali would kick his ass anytime from 63-75. this bitter old fool must be more punchy than I thought.

Southpaw Stinger
05-12-2006, 11:48 AM
him beating muhammad ali?
marciano not being able to beat todays hw's?
Tyson only good enough to be a sparring partner?
kinda makes you wonder how hard he's been hit

lol! I never liked Holmes anyway. He worships a statue of himself that has a speaker system in it's arse that comes out with **** daily.

Dempsey 1919
05-12-2006, 12:12 PM
i guess holmes is bitter for all the ****kickings ali gave him in sparring.

mgkirkpatrick
05-12-2006, 12:17 PM
what a ****stain.

Yaman
05-12-2006, 12:32 PM
i guess holmes is bitter for all the ****kickings ali gave him in sparring.

Ahem..Ali wasn't doing the ****kicking bro.

But i agree, Holmes has the worst caracter of any HW champ ever. Maybe James Toney will surpass him if he wins the title.

Dempsey 1919
05-12-2006, 12:54 PM

But i agree, Holmes has the worst caracter of any HW champ ever. Maybe James Toney will surpass him if he wins the title.

yeah, he was. only after 1975 that holmes started to take over.

JDizzle79
05-12-2006, 12:56 PM
yeah, he was. only after 1975 that holmes started to take over.

tyson had the worst character if any at all

Yaman
05-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Atleast Tyson respects the all time greats. Holmes thinks he's the god of boxing or something.

only after 1975 that holmes started to take over.

I've never of them sparring.

JDizzle79
05-12-2006, 01:11 PM
i don't think holmes wanted to eat anyone's children

Yaman
05-12-2006, 01:12 PM
i don't think holmes wanted to eat anyone's children

Sure he did. Who the hell doesn't.

SABBATH
05-12-2006, 01:21 PM
Sure he did. Who the hell doesn't.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lb28FxNRUOI&search=mike%20tyson%20funny

JDizzle79
05-12-2006, 01:25 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lb28FxNRUOI&search=mike%20tyson%20funny

"...my style is impetuous..."HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yaman
05-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Funny video. I didn't see that one yet.

SABBATH
05-12-2006, 01:30 PM
Funny video. I didn't see that one yet.
It gets better
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FNf0TdJY1Yk&search=mike%20tyson%20monster%20mash

Yaman
05-12-2006, 01:34 PM
That was wack. What was he doing singing. Anything else?

RockyMarcianofan00
05-12-2006, 02:23 PM
larry holmes is a very underrated fighter.

http://www.********boxing.com/news.php?p=5692&more=1
where the stars are put e a s t s i d e (no spaces)

I don't think Larry Holmes was the greastest, he was good but the fact is many old greats that he puts down would have KO'd him. Dempsey, Marciano,Louis,and Ali would have beaten his ass inside of 9 rounds in his prime

Heckler
05-14-2006, 04:07 AM

From what ive read Ali certainly did give him a ****kicking after he started mouthing off.

osamabinwayne
05-14-2006, 05:49 AM
That comment he made about Marcianos recored couldn't hold a candle to his jockstrap was uncalled for. Either way he was a great fighter. Definitely to 10 material.

THE REAL NINJA
05-14-2006, 07:18 AM
I'm sure Larry can be very gracious, but he's known more for his idiotic public comments.
i agree for me Larry Holmes is very hard to like because he never gives cred to anyone but himself which may be from the fact that he was given none as champ himself but to take away from other greats is not going to make him look any better then he does in historys eyes

hemichromis
05-14-2006, 02:02 PM
fighters nowadays tend to be stronger but IMO slower and they dont seem to have that much more power. marciano would probably beat any of todays heavyweights.

hellfire508
05-18-2006, 06:26 AM
Holmes overrates himself far too much.

Yaman
05-18-2006, 07:31 AM
From what ive read Ali certainly did give him a ****kicking after he started mouthing off.

Give me proof on that.

SABBATH
05-18-2006, 01:24 PM
Give me proof on that.Muhammad Ali - His Life And Times Page 401

...Third round he beat the **** out of Larry, went back to his corner and yelled "Larry you're the better fighter. I just got the title" Holmes was crying "No champ that's a lie".............

You can find it and read the rest...

Floydko1
05-18-2006, 02:17 PM
o Larry Holmes has always been like that since he was boxing,
I still have alot off respect for Larry because he was a great boxer,
but some off his comments are wayyy off mark,
Larry has never been on the tyson band wagon even in the 86-88 ere i rememeber when Holmes faced Tyson i believe after Tyson had just beat Biggs, Holmes was chating **** about tyson all before the fight about "tyson will never go down in the history books" this was after he became the youngest heavyweight champion off all time 2 like lol, **** like tht, Larrys head is massive true.
and tht talk about PRIME ON PRIME he would have beat ALi lol thts bull****, Ali would have schoold his ass for 12 rounds chating **** 2 him every round around how slow Larry was, Larry wayy off the mark saying he would beat "the GREAT1"

SABBATH
05-18-2006, 11:21 PM
The rematch we've all been waiting for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhrJntnk3Wo&search=larry%20holmes

VS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNf0TdJY1Yk&search=mike%20tyson%20funny

Keleneki
05-21-2006, 12:24 PM
Too bad that Holmes comes across with such a poor attitude much of the time. He is still my favorite heavyweight though, followed by Foreman, Tyson, Ali, Frazier, Holyfield and Lewis, in no particular order. Holmes would have utterly destroyed Esch if he was even 5 years younger! Sorry time for some sleep.

TheGreat1
05-22-2006, 04:32 PM
I think he made great points, Those fighter where pretty small and taking alot of shots from small HW's. there is no way most of those guys could take heavy shots like that from VK/WLad/Brewster/Peter/Rahman. It just wouldn't happen. Floyd Patterson was great but his size and strength showed when he fought Sonny Liston.

brownpimp88
01-11-2007, 06:36 PM

I completely agree with everything larry holmes says. He is my favourite heavyweight, always will be.

Greatest_D
01-16-2007, 01:58 AM
I hate when people say **** like; "those people from back then couldn't touch people from today. if today's athletes went back, they'd be gods among men!" O'rly? You do realise they wouldn't have had the same benefits of more advanced training and such, right? So unless they were genetic freaks they'd be on par in terms of physical attributes. I hear this all the time about other sports, mainly football and it pisses me off. "OMG (X) c0uld g0 bak and pwn t3h n00bz LOLZ!!1!11" is so damn BORING!

Dempsey 1919
01-16-2007, 03:25 AM
I hate when people say **** like; "those people from back then couldn't touch people from today. if today's athletes went back, they'd be gods among men!" O'rly? You do realise they wouldn't have had the same benefits of more advanced training and such, right? So unless they were genetic freaks they'd be on par in terms of physical attributes. I hear this all the time about other sports, mainly football and it pisses me off. "OMG (X) c0uld g0 bak and pwn t3h n00bz LOLZ!!1!11" is so damn BORING!

:fing02:....

Verstyle
01-16-2007, 03:32 AM
:fing02:....

hey butterfly u hear about that 1 dude