View Full Version : Mike Tyson Appreciation thread.

UnderControl-
05-11-2006, 05:04 AM
Michael Gerard Tyson
The youngest man ever to win the heavyweight title.
Former Undisputed Heavyweight Champion.
Two time heavyweight champion of the world.
50 Wins, 44 by Knockout, 6 Losses, 2 No Contests

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9264/tyson14zb.gif

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/272/tyson24dv.gif

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/4094/tyson32kv.gif

Yaman
05-11-2006, 07:59 AM
No doubt against Trevor Berbick. That night he showed such determination and will. You could see how much he wanted to become the youngest HW champion. I dont think anything would have stopped him that night. He would have shown heart if he got knocked down, he would have gotten back up to win. That night he was verocious and stopped Berbick in 2 rounds, i think he would have stopped him later in 87 or 88. That was great.

SABBATH
05-11-2006, 08:07 AM
No doubt against Trevor Berbick. That night he showed such determination and will. You could see how much he wanted to become the youngest HW champion. I dont think anything would have stopped him that night. He would have shown heart if he got knocked down, he would have gotten back up to win. That night he was verocious and stopped Berbick in 2 rounds, i think he would have stopped him later in 87 or 88. That was great.Berbick was shot after fighting Ali. That fight took more out of Berbick than we realize. The punishment Ali inflicted in the Drama In The Bahama caused Berbick to take a downward spiral later being floored and beaten by Renaldo Snipes, then outpointed by ordinary cruiserweight ST Gordon. Tyson faced a shell, a ghost of Berbick on that night.

A 1980-81 Berbick would do to Tyson what Douglas later did.

Cockyb
05-11-2006, 08:41 AM
u have to apreciate sum1 who brought excitement to boxing! sum1 who cleared out the heavyweight division with brutal KO's!

and one of da best achievements of his was da fact at one stage in his career he was voted by i think da ring magazine as the p4p number 1 fighter in the world! not many heavyweights got dat kind of recognition! shows how gud he was back in his prime!

wen u look back on tyson, look back wen he defeated berbick, sphinx etc etc! dats da real tyson! da legendary tyson!

safe

kjellho
05-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Berbick was shot after fighting Ali. That fight took more out of Berbick than we realize. The punishment Ali inflicted in the Drama In The Bahama caused Berbick to take a downward spiral later being floored and beaten by Renaldo Snipes, then outpointed by ordinary cruiserweight ST Gordon. Tyson faced a shell, a ghost of Berbick on that night.

A 1980-81 Berbick would do to Tyson what Douglas later did.

This is a Tyson appreciation thread. If you got nothing positive to say, then get the **** out of here. We all know you're not a big fan of Tyson, so why even bother posting in this thread?
What you just said is total bs by the way :) Berbick has always been a ****ty fighter. You think Berbick was good just 'cause of the Ali fight? Man, look at Berbicks fights. And the Ali fight just shows one thing - that Ali has flaws.

The Berbick fight was fun to watch, no doubt. But my favourites are the Alex Stewart fight and the Mitch Green fight! And ofcourse the Michael Jack Johnson fight, but just because of that brutal KO :D

Southpaw Stinger
05-11-2006, 11:53 AM
The Berbick fight was stunning. Tyson showed great power and detirmination in that fight. Very exciting.

And the Ali fight just shows one thing - that Ali has flaws.

It showed just one thing - that Ali has parkinsons!

UnderControl-
05-11-2006, 11:57 AM
The Alex Stewart definately was a joy to watch for every Tyson fan - Mike fought like he seriously wanted to break his opponent into pieces.

I agree that nothing could have stopped Tyson November 22nd, 1986 - that night nobody could have beaten him.
It is sad to see that lots of so-called boxing fans are being disrespectful towards the youngest heavyweight champion ever, the most explosive fighter to ever live. Some say he was a bully, some say he had no heart ... all wrong.
But I am glad to see some guys post in this thread who seriously appreciate what Mike Tyson has done for boxing and for the audience.

Yogi
05-11-2006, 12:02 PM
*farts* :o

RAESAAD
05-11-2006, 12:03 PM
My favorite Tyson fight was when he got KTFO by Lennox Lewis. :boxing:

Heckler
05-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Appreciate Tysons talent but many a boxer could of stopped Tyson on that night.

Yogi
05-11-2006, 12:15 PM
I agree that nothing could have stopped Tyson November 22nd, 1986 - that night nobody could have beaten him.

Trevor Berbick would've beaten him on that night had he not been sidetracked with talks of a fight with Cooney, had not been spending the week in court fighting with promoters over a "breach of a fight contract" suit, had not had $500,000 of his purse withheld going into the fight, had not lost Eddie Futch as his trainer only a couple of weeks before the fight, if Angelo Dundee had more time to prepare a better gameplan than standing right in front of Mike, and ESPECIALLY, had the Tyson camp not poisoned him via the air conditioner route in his hotel room which caused Berbick to visit the hospital on four seperate occasions just a couple of days before the fight as the doctors tried figuring out the "sudden breathing problems" he was suffering from...

Those are the reasons Berbick lost to Tyson, not anything Tyson did in the ring on that night.

UnderControl-
05-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Trevor Berbick would've beaten him on that night had he not been sidetracked with talks of a fight with Cooney, had not been spending the week in court fighting with promoters over a "breach of a fight contract" suit, had not had $500,000 of his purse withheld going into the fight, had not lost Eddie Futch as his trainer only a couple of weeks before the fight, if Angelo Dundee had more time to prepare a better gameplan than standing right in front of Mike, and ESPECIALLY, had the Tyson camp not poisoned him via the air conditioner route in his hotel room which caused Berbick to visit the hospital on four seperate occasions just a couple of days before the fight as the doctors tried figuring out the "sudden breathing problems" he was suffering from...

Those are the reasons Berbick lost to Tyson, not anything Tyson did in the ring on that night.
Let's just pretend this message was never posted.

Yogi
05-11-2006, 12:22 PM
Let's just pretend this message was never posted.

Why?

I didn't make one single thing up in that post (besides the very last line which was my own) and everything besides the "poison" remark (Berbick's own claim) was published by Tyson's own & first biographer, Reg Gutteridge.

UnderControl-
05-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Why?

I didn't make one single thing up in that post (besides the very last line which was my own) and everything besides the "poison" remark (Berbick's own claim) was published by Tyson's own & first biographer, Reg Gutteridge.
Let me ask you a question. If Tyson's camp tried to poison Berbick, why didn't they try the same with Smith, Bruno, Holmes, Spinks, etc.?
Why are so many men trying to take something away from Tyson?

UnderControl-
05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Anyway, I am sorry, didn't mean to be disrespectful.
It is just that these kinds of excuses are going on my nerves. It's like the Klitschko - Brewster fight (vaseline and the like). No offence. :)

Yogi
05-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Can anybody give me a reason as to why Tyson ducked out of his Nov of 1989 title defense against Razor Ruddock, because according to his own personal physician, Dr. Elias Ghanem, Tyson's excuse in regards to having pneumonia at the time was bogus...

"X-Rays of Tyson's chest indicate his lungs are clear." - so said Dr. Ghanem on Oct 28th, 1989

Yogi
05-11-2006, 12:29 PM
It is just that these kinds of excuses are going on my nerves. It's like the Klitschko - Brewster fight (vaseline and the like). No offence. :)

Or like the Tyson/Douglas fight and the excuses some come up with in defense of Tyson?

UnderControl-
05-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Or like the Tyson/Douglas fight and the excuses some come up with in defense of Tyson?
What excuses do you mean?

Yogi
05-11-2006, 12:36 PM
What excuses do you mean?

You don't need me to tell you what they were, as I'm sure you've heard plenty of them because they've been repeated over and over again ever since the fight.

UnderControl-
05-11-2006, 12:38 PM
You don't need me to tell you what they were, as I'm sure you've heard plenty of them because they've been repeated over and over again ever since the fight.
There is a difference between "excuses" and "reasons" why someone lost.
Anyway, please, this is an appreciation thread. My intention when creating this thread was to appreciate Tyson and not to defend him or attack any other views. :)

Southpaw16
05-11-2006, 12:50 PM
The only reason why I often find myself arguing against Tyson, is because I can't stand the claims of people who say that Tyson was past his prime after he fired Kevin Rooney and that a "prime" Mike Tyson would beat almost any heavyweight in history. Every other boxer on the planet in the history of boxing was considered to be in their prime when they were younger than 30.

However, since this is a Tyson appreciation thread, I will say the things I like about him. 1) He was possibly the most impressive physical specimen in the history of boxing 2) He revived the heavyweight division and revived boxing when we needed him 3) He was possibly the most exciting heavyweight ever.

SABBATH
05-11-2006, 12:51 PM

Agreed.

For example, Tyson losing to Douglas and blaming the defeat on the fact that Kevin Rooney was no lnger in his corner would be "an excuse" as to why he lost.

Tyson losing to Douglas because Tyson was an overrated fraud who finally met a competent opponent he couldn't bully and intimidate would be "a reason" as to why he lost.

That's it for todays lesson boys and girls.

Yogi
05-11-2006, 12:52 PM
Anyway, please, this is an appreciation thread. My intention when creating this thread was to appreciate Tyson and not to defend him or attack any other views. :)

Nope, they were excuses, because if they were the "reasons" why Tyson lost to Douglas then he never would've defeated Michael Spinks with the amount of **** going on before that fight...the rumours of him not training much, the knockdowns in sparring to McCall & Mike Williams (according to Cayton), the marriage troubles with Givens, the death of Jacobs via cancer a few months before, the contract dispute with Cayton, the ****ed up/fragile mindset which caused him to drive straight into a tree soon after the fight, etc., etc., etc.

Compared to the prefight going-ons entering the Spinks fight, Tyson had it easy entering the Douglas fight. Yet against Spinks he still came up with what many call his signiture/best win of his career and finally won the real heavyweight championship of the world.

UnderControl-
05-11-2006, 12:54 PM
You guys are class acts.

Southpaw Stinger
05-11-2006, 12:55 PM
Nope, they were excuses, because if they were the "reasons" why Tyson lost to Douglas then he never would've defeated Michael Spinks with the amount of **** going on before that fight...the rumours of him not training much, the knockdowns in sparring to McCall & Mike Williams (according to Cayton), the marriage troubles with Givens, the death of Jacobs via cancer a few months before, the contract dispute with Cayton, the ****ed up/fragile mindset which caused him to drive straight into a tree soon after the fight, etc., etc., etc.

Compared to the prefight going-ons entering the Spinks fight, Tyson had it easy entering the Douglas fight. Yet against Spinks he still came up with what many call his signiture/best win of his career and finally won the real heavyweight championship of the world.

You know too much Yogi and the way you bring intelligence and a backed up argument into this thread is evil! The Tyson fanatics will be looking for blood now.

Yogi
05-11-2006, 01:00 PM
You guys are class acts.

Sorry then, and here let me make it up to you & other Tyson fans...

Even though he didn't quite get it all the way in, I do very much appreciate and enjoy the effort Tyson gave in trying to put his own mouthpiece back in when Douglas ****ed him up.

SABBATH
05-11-2006, 01:01 PM

Even though he didn't quite get it all the way in, I do very much appreciate and enjoy the effort Tyson gave in trying to put his own mouthpiece back in when Douglas ****ed him up.
Easy, easy...This how the SMASHER ban all started...

Yogi
05-11-2006, 01:03 PM
You know too much Yogi and the way you bring intelligence and a backed up argument into this thread is evil! The Tyson fanatics will be looking for blood now.

Books, contemporary newspaper accounts, etc...with Tyson being such a well publicized figure in the sport, all the information on him is out there in abundance and readily available for those seeking it.

Yogi
05-11-2006, 01:06 PM
Easy, easy...This how the SMASHER ban all started...

So you think maybe I should've said "when Douglas beat the ever-loving **** out of him" instead of saying "when Douglas ****ed him up"?

UnderControl-
Books, contemporary newspaper accounts, etc...with Tyson being such a well publicized figure in the sport, all the information on him is out there in abundance and readily available for those seeking it.
You know, it's easy to read something and just believe what you are reading. In my view so many wrong pieces of information concerning Tyson are getting spread around the world, it is not funny at all.

Southpaw16

Your just relentless...

Yogi
05-11-2006, 01:16 PM
You know, it's easy to read something and just believe what you are reading. In my view so many wrong pieces of information concerning Tyson are getting spread around the world, it is not funny at all.

Sorry, but for one opinion on Tyson's life, I'm certainly going to trust a HOF & very well respected writer like Reg Gutteridge over those fanboys who claim "bull****" every time someone writes negative of Mike...You know, considering he was with Tyson as his personal biographer since the days of when Mike first started fighting, was possibly Cus' best friend during their 30+ year relationship, was close to the whole Team Tyson & saw plenty of what was going on, and also because he comes across as very unbiased/even in his writings of Mike & expresses Tyson's good side as well as his bad...

Read what Gutteridge has to say about Tyson, then read what the newspapers have to say about Tyson, and you'll find a whole bunch of consistency in the writings from one to the other.

SABBATH
05-11-2006, 01:24 PM
For those that claim Tyson was past his prime against Douglas.

Calling the fight live from ringside, fight commentator Bob Sheridan never made mention of Tyson looking slower, sluggish, no head movement blah, blah, blah. Personally I do not think he looked any different from any other fight. Consider Sheridan's comments upon Tyson entering the ring as well as during the fight.

"Look at Mike. Nothing but seriousness in his eyes."

"He's in magnificent shape."

"Tyson has that look on his face like I'm gonna kill you guy."

"Mike Tyson, now look at his eyes. He has the look of a lion going after the zebra now."

Tyson weighed 220 1/2 lbs which was hardly overweight for Tyson. In fact he was lighter for Douglas than he was for Berbick or Tucker. Pretty good weight for a guy that supposedly wasn't training and was only partying.

Tyson started each of the first 5 rounds quickly and aggressively coming right after Douglas with bounce in his legs. In the early rounds Tyson threw many left jabs mixed in with power head shots, the odd body punch and used his standard peek-a-boo head movement defence.

The difference was Douglas was actually fighting back, presenting angles, scoring with jabs and power shots and not just trying to survive like most Tyson victims, outpunching Tyson 73-28 in the first 3 rounds. After hurting Tyson in the 5th, Tyson as was his formula, lost his heart and his style and again staying with his performance pattern was reduced to a one punch at a time headhunter with minimal head movement.

Got it now Tyson fans?

Yogi
05-11-2006, 01:31 PM
For those that claim Tyson was past his prime against Douglas.

Calling the fight live from ringside, fight commentator Bob Sheridan never made mention of Tyson looking slower, sluggish, no head movement blah, blah, blah. Personally I do not think he looked any different from any other fight. Consider Sheridan's comments upon Tyson entering the ring as well as during the fight.

"Look at Mike. Nothing but seriousness in his eyes."

"He's in magnificent shape."

"Tyson has that look on his face like I'm gonna kill you guy."

"Mike Tyson, now look at his eyes. He has the look of a lion going after the zebra now."

Tyson weighed 220 1/2 lbs which was hardly overweight for Tyson. In fact he was lighter for Douglas than he was for Berbick or Tucker. Pretty good weight for a guy that supposedly wasn't training and was only partying.

Tyson started each of the first 5 rounds quickly and aggressively coming right after Douglas with bounce in his legs. In the early rounds Tyson threw many left jabs mixed in with power head shots, the odd body punch and used his standard peek-a-boo head movement defence.

The difference was Douglas was actually fighting back, presenting angles, scoring with jabs and power shots and not just trying to survive like most Tyson victims, outpunching Tyson 73-28 in the first 3 rounds. After hurting Tyson in the 5th, Tyson as was his formula, lost his heart and his style and again staying with his performance pattern was reduced to a one punch at a time headhunter with minimal head movement.

Got it now Tyson fans?

This guy knows of what he speaks!

Southpaw16
05-11-2006, 01:37 PM
I agree with the statement that Tyson was in his prime when he lost to Holyfield and Douglas. But this is a Tyson appreciation thread and there are a lot of good things about Tyson. Like I said, he was a phenomenal physical specimen, he single handedly revived the heavyweight division, he was was one of the most exciting and intriguing fighters ever.

Dempsey 1919
05-11-2006, 01:42 PM
I agree with the statement that Tyson was in his prime when he lost to Holyfield and Douglas. But this is a Tyson appreciation thread and there are a lot of good things about Tyson. Like I said, he was a phenomenal physical specimen, he single handedly revived the heavyweight division, he was was one of the most exciting and intriguing fighters ever.

tyson was definetely not in his prime when he fought holyfield. douglass, yes, but he didn't train that much.

Yogi
05-11-2006, 01:48 PM
he single handedly revived the heavyweight division

In all seriousness, I do appreciate the fact that Tyson came around when he did and sparked so much interest in a division that was, in the mid 80's, packed full of mostly uninspiring, undertrained, underachieving (there was some real talent around...much moreso than today), and more than a few drugged up heavyweights of the day.

Dempsey 1919
05-11-2006, 01:59 PM
what i don't get is when people say tyson was a bum, or wasn't a great fighter or something stupid like that. like my father said something i couldn't believe. he said, "If I had the strength of tyson, I would be a great fighter, too!", when in fact there were fighters who hit alot harder than tyson, but didn't amount to much at all. tyson is definetely a top ten hw without a doubt. some people overrate tyson by saying he would knock out anyone, which is not true, but some people underrate him by saying if you fought back and wasn't scared of him, you could beat him, which is also not true(at least not in his prime).

Mike Tyson makes #4 on my top ten hw list. :boxing:

http://www.boxing-memorabilia.com/images/Mike_Tyson.jpeg

the traveler
05-11-2006, 02:16 PM
The Michael "Jack" Johnson fight was my favorite. It only lasted for less than 2 minutes but Mike's performance was funny and legendary to me. He didn't get hit once, and he managed to knock dude down with one body punch. The ko punch that he landed in that fight is hands down the hardest punch that I've ever seen.

My second favorite would have to be the Douglas fight. The 8th, 9th, and 10th rounds were some of the most memorable to me.

Yaman
05-11-2006, 03:15 PM
What do i see? 2 Tyson haters(jack sabbath and yoghurt) who are like always, over 50 years old and white. Did Tyson cuss out your mother? Is that why you have to come in and ruin a Tyson thread?

Yogi
05-11-2006, 03:26 PM
What do i see? 2 Tyson haters(jack sabbath and yoghurt) who are like always, over 50 years old and white. Did Tyson cuss out your mother? Is that why you have to come in and ruin a Tyson thread?

You're more than welcome to refute anything said by myself or Jack in this thread if it's within your capabilities to do so.

Yaman
05-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Hey, im not gonna argue on this day. I just dont understand why you have to piss on Tyson and try to piss Tyson fans off like that. I thought you had some class.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-11-2006, 03:57 PM
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/IrishInsomniac00/other%20boxing%20pictures/tysonberbick.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/IrishInsomniac00/other%20boxing%20pictures/Tyson*****.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/IrishInsomniac00/other%20boxing%20pictures/Tysonkeepshishandsup.jpg

Mike Tyson was great

UnderControl-
05-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Very nice pictures, thanks for your contribution to this thread.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-11-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm looking for more pics on my computer

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/IrishInsomniac00/other%20boxing%20pictures/B0000AVBUO.jpg

Tyson's one of my favorite fighters

he's up there on my list with Marciano and Dempsey, Frazier etc

RockyMarcianofan00
05-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Here's more so hit me up with some points
go to that link and DL all of mike Tysons fights
http://www.ottres.ca/tmach/globalbir/06jun/jun30tyson.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c49/IrishInsomniac00/other%20boxing%20pictures/ssg-umt-16f.jpg
http://www.nathanielturner.com/images/New_Folder2/tyson.jpg http://www.michaeltyson.com/michael-tyson.gif

All of Mike Tyson's fights avalible for DL (http://www.tysontalk.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=15631)

Mike Tyson pics (http://www.michaeltyson.com/tyson-pictures.html)

SABBATH
05-11-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.freakingnews.com/entries/4500/4611RWav_w.jpg (http://www.freakingnews.com/view.asp?entry=6145&display=photoshop)

Long Live Tyson!