View Full Version : Got the shoulder roll down

GreatestIam
05-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Just got the shoulder roll defense down, or atleast my version.... Im southpaw and keep my right hand down close to my body with my elbow bent, i then keep my lefthand tight and close to my jaw , and when an opponent throws a jab, i simply roll the shoulder and turn my head to the right, this is great becuz alot of times a cross is followed and by rolling back it allows the punch to glance off the glove and theres an immediate opening, damn im learning some great ****, and am going to be a great fighter damn, cant wait to post some vids

Verstyle
05-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Just got the shoulder roll defense down, or atleast my version.... Im southpaw and keep my right hand down close to my body with my elbow bent, i then keep my lefthand tight and close to my jaw , and when an opponent throws a jab, i simply roll the shoulder and turn my head to the right, this is great becuz alot of times a cross is followed and by rolling back it allows the punch to glance off the glove and theres an immediate opening, damn im learning some great ****, and am going to be a great fighter damn, cant wait to post some vids

what about your body :cool:

SlightlyStoopid
05-10-2006, 12:47 AM
So you're rolling your face right into the punch? If you're southpaw you'd be turning your head into the punch, and you better hope you cover up with your shoulder good or else that's going to hurt ya. But yeah the shoulder roll is nice, return that left cross right back at em when they throw something.

GreatestIam
05-10-2006, 01:27 AM
what about your body :cool:

my right arm is covering it, when not throwing jabs

GreatestIam
05-10-2006, 01:29 AM
So you're rolling your face right into the punch? If you're southpaw you'd be turning your head into the punch, and you better hope you cover up with your shoulder good or else that's going to hurt ya. But yeah the shoulder roll is nice, return that left cross right back at em when they throw something.

No im rolling my face (my chin)into my shoulder behind my glove

RockyMarcianofan00
05-10-2006, 01:30 AM

LOL

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Verstyle
05-10-2006, 01:32 AM
my counter for that defense is hit them behind the ear.

GreatestIam
05-10-2006, 01:56 AM
my counter for that defense is hit them behind the ear.

Ya ima try mine in sparring tmrw, but not in fights til the last rounds to give a new look, if it works out who knows

Kayo
05-10-2006, 02:26 AM
i'd learn to properly pose in a picture then boasting about something

GreatestIam
05-10-2006, 02:34 AM
i'd learn to properly pose in a picture then boasting about something

what?????/

LightsOut Le
05-10-2006, 03:12 AM
hope you got fast reaction time...you have to be able to see the punches..a guy at my gym has a variation of that..and i land overhand rights all day

ricecrispi
05-10-2006, 03:29 AM
my counter to shoulder roll is purposely miss a deep jab or right cross and land elbow into the shoulder than grab the head clinch up.
If you roll the chin to the right you catch the elbow sticking out.

I might fake a few jabs to see if they over react with the roll and throw a short left hook to head or body. Roll to chin to right you move into the left hook if you fall for the feint.

How the shoulder roll is done right. The chin doesn't move, it stays tuck down already. The shoulder rolls to the chin to stay tight and the torso moves the upper body to do a weave or block punches with shoulders or left hand or you move back and wheel left or right.

SlightlyStoopid
05-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Anyone like using it for charging in on an opponent? I think its nice if you got it down good to get inside on someone, or maybe come in, shoulder roll their punch and return a solid cross or hook immediately to their face. :)

ricecrispi
05-10-2006, 03:38 PM
If you fight an aggressive fighter you better block and roll all them punches. That is why I use is only a few times and against certain fighters.

The left cross would be best counter because it is up high, natural position allows the right to be ****ed back a little. The right shoulder will protect you but right hand is too low to throw a good counter unless you get a good read or have a supa fast right hand.

personally training as a southpaw and not being left handed I throw the right hook alot and stay outside that front toe and pivot away.
I don't like that stance as a southpaw because my left cross is too weak to be respectable.

boxer2k5
05-10-2006, 04:48 PM

and how many fights have you won since you got your shoulder roll down?

boxer2k5
05-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Ya ima try mine in sparring tmrw, but not in fights til the last rounds to give a new look, if it works out who knows

you havent even tested it yet
how can you say its down

it takes years and years and many fights
to get it down and it still isnt full proof

i use it most of the time but if you get
lazy you will get caught

you have to learn it through trail and error

and i have my coaches working with mine
and ive won fights and defended myself well
with it and i use it alot during sparring

i wont say i have it down pack until im
world champion

ive been working on mine for like 2 years

no style or defense is full proof
as soon as you get hit doing it you gona go

back to the drawing boards

supaduck
05-10-2006, 04:56 PM

Your too ****y.. there are tons of guys like you who win their first fight and shrug off a loss or something...

Not that im discarding you or ****, im just saying you have no real reason yet for us or for you to believe your something special. Again, you may well be, but you can't tell now..

ricecrispi
05-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Boxer2k5 is right. He's had more experience with that stance than me and he doesn't go out bragging.

Since that stance makes you open to hits you have to work harder and longer to find the little tricks. In that stance all it takes is one mistake and you pay for it. I took me about 9 months working that stance in orthodox before I even tried it in the ring. I still wont use it because I'm not effective offensively but good avoid punchs. I wont even touch that stance in southpaw.

I've trained with pro mma fighter teaching basic boxing stuff just so learn it. I tell them don't even try using that stance in the ring. Why? Against a good professional level fighter they will catch you because they are faster, smarter, quicker, and hit harder. Worse in MMA because of little gloves they use.

A pro boxer if he sees that mistake he'll let it simmer and bait you into that mistake. One shot is all it takes.

GreatestIam
05-11-2006, 05:50 PM
I tired it in sparring and it seems to work again this isnt my MAIN defense but soemthing ive personally been workin on with my 14 yr old brother tryin to perfct sort of... When i came out with it in sparring i was on the ropes and it seemd to work good, but i noticed it leaves your body wide open at certain points luckily my sparring partner didnt catch it, but my little brother did! Im kind of skeptical at this point to use it in a fight but tonight im going to go all out with it and see aht happens

RockyMarcianofan00
05-11-2006, 06:00 PM
your fighting tonite?
g'luck man

GreatestIam
05-11-2006, 08:10 PM
your fighting tonite?
g'luck man

Oh no man im not fighting tonight, i was talkin about sparring my fights on the 20th though|!

Verstyle
05-11-2006, 08:53 PM
I tired it in sparring and it seems to work again this isnt my MAIN defense but soemthing ive personally been workin on with my 14 yr old brother tryin to perfct sort of... When i came out with it in sparring i was on the ropes and it seemd to work good, but i noticed it leaves your body wide open at certain points luckily my sparring partner didnt catch it, but my little brother did! Im kind of skeptical at this point to use it in a fight but tonight im going to go all out with it and see aht happens

now didnt i comment about the body earlier in this thread. man im good :cool:

SlightlyStoopid
05-11-2006, 09:49 PM
now didnt i comment about the body earlier in this thread. man im good :cool:
Yep you had that down before he even thought it.
:cool:

ricecrispi
05-12-2006, 02:17 AM
I wouldn't use that style with ropes on the back. You can't move back or turn to avoid all the punchs.
Watch a good fighter use the shoulder roll they are in the center of the ring. Allows the footwork to help avoid the punches.

most of the stuff mayweather does or toney is spacing and footwork.
Watch a mmayweather fight and just watch the lower body when he is trying to avoid getting hit. his body is always center to his base

RockyMarcianofan00
05-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Oh no man im not fighting tonight, i was talkin about sparring my fights on the 20th though|!
g'luck man :boxing:

Smokin'
05-12-2006, 02:31 AM
GreatestIAm > Mystyal.

SlightlyStoopid
05-12-2006, 03:37 AM
I wouldn't use that style with ropes on the back. You can't move back or turn to avoid all the punchs.
Watch a good fighter use the shoulder roll they are in the center of the ring. Allows the footwork to help avoid the punches.

most of the stuff mayweather does or toney is spacing and footwork.
Watch a mmayweather fight and just watch the lower body when he is trying to avoid getting hit. his body is always center to his base
You can lower your shoulder and move into the inside and step around the guy and catch him with some good shots if its done right.

ricecrispi
05-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I dont like countering from the inside to out with that stance. I believe staying vertical and keeping posture up. Again it is probably physical limitations and I realize everyone has different styles.

Plus i'm only 5'4" I rather use bob weave because i'm short im harder to hit and easier to go from inside to outside and find my angles to counter.

I only use this stance with non agressive guys that cover up and want them to throw more punches or guys with slow hands and are easier to counter. I never use this stance if a guy is aggressive.