View Full Version : so 1 good pop in the amatuers and u get the 8 count??

Verstyle
05-09-2006, 02:04 AM
damn that must suck, especially if the guys not hurt but his head pops back.

Pugnacious_Z
05-09-2006, 03:10 AM
ye it looks that way. and mystyal, how heavy and tall is greatestiam?

Rockin'
05-09-2006, 03:12 AM

Listen and listen well. The referees primary duty in tha amatuer ring is to look out for a boxers well being. If they are in a situation that we believe could be detrimental by the next blow we will jump in to make sure that that blow never lands. We will administer an 8 count at which time you should signify that your fine by raising your gloves to gaurd and slightly bending your kness in respect. We dont want to see any one hurt. In the amatuers we are there to help you guys learn the sport of boxing. Not the brutalities of it.

If you would like to get dropped I recommend the pro game.

Rockin' :boxing:

Verstyle
05-09-2006, 08:44 AM
ye it looks that way. and mystyal, how heavy and tall is greatestiam?

he said like 170 but he looks lighter and 6'0

Pugnacious_Z
05-09-2006, 08:46 AM
i read the posts where ppl were sayin he must bully u around the ring coz hes taller and heavier, LOL

Verstyle
05-09-2006, 08:48 AM
i read the posts where ppl were sayin he must bully u around the ring coz hes taller and heavier, LOL

stupid huh. i've never heard **** like that in my life. in high school wrestling i used to have match's in the 172 weight class and i only weighed max 153 :eek: and still handled them well

mgkirkpatrick
05-09-2006, 09:40 AM

wow i didnt know that. how are u met to land powerful combos if they stop u after one good shot?

enadeus
05-09-2006, 11:30 AM
Isn't it like two solid landed punches is a knockdown/8 count?

Rockin'
05-09-2006, 11:45 AM
Its not a solid punch that brings the 8 counts. Lots of solid punches can be landed in an amatuer match without an 8 count being administered.

When a good shot lands I will get close and look at the fighters eyes and notice his disposition. If in anyway I feel that he is hurt or dazed by the shot I will step in.

You guys seem to think that the Amatuers are supposed to be like the pros. They are not, they are night and day with the pros. Like I said, amatuer boxing is about skill not raw power. Besides, if you dont take the time to learn the true skill of the art in the amatuers, you will wish that you had if you ever turn pro.

Amatuer boxing is a sport that builds character and self pride in the young men that participate. We want them to have the best experience with the sport that they can. Letting someone get beat down is not a good experience for anybody in amatuyer boxing. When we see a kid go down the officials drive home feeling horrible about it. These are kids and we dont want any of them hurt if we can help it.

An 8count in the amatauers is nothing. Its a time where we can take a good look at you and make sure that your ok. Besides, in the amatuers the only thing that an 8 count scores is the blow landed, 1 point thats it. No 10-8 rounds here man. If I step in and give an 8 count yeah they get pissed sometimes. When I stop a fight they get furious sometimes. Go out and land a jab and that 8 count has been nullified. Its just something that I will deal with as I lay to sleep after bouts. I will feel that I did the right thing and that I know that the kid will be back to fight another day, with no serious injuries.

Thats what the amatuers are all about.

Southpaw Stinger
05-09-2006, 12:18 PM
The amateurs are a safe affair. It's not like the pro's where there are world titles at stake and millions of dollars for the winner. Like Rockin said the amateurs is about displaying skill and scoring points not looking to hurt the guy.
Bouts are short and are fast! Marciano didn't do particulary well as an amateur, since his style was all about wearing guys down and trying to KO them. He often found himself outpointed by the end.

Speaking of safety, have there been many fatalities in the amateurs?

El Sniper
05-09-2006, 02:56 PM
stupid huh. i've never heard **** like that in my life. in high school wrestling i used to have match's in the 172 weight class and i only weighed max 153 :eek: and still handled them well

Gotta agree with you there. I dropped down to 175lbs and am 5'7". When I sparr against guys that are up to 50lbs heavier and as tall as 6'5" I tend to dominate most of the time. I usually have issues with guys closer to my weight or height. I really don't know why you get so angry at that dude. I saw his video and he exhibited no skill at all. I saw mystyal's video's and he looks like he is trying to better his skills instead of killing the guy. I'm sure that in a match between these two, mystyal would win by taking his time and getting in on the inside to find a KO. If I were to fight GreatestIAM, I would just move on him and block, counterpunch until he punches himself out. After that, beating him would be a cakewalk.

Southpaw Stinger
05-09-2006, 04:10 PM
If I were to fight GreatestIAM, I would just move on him and block, counterpunch until he punches himself out. After that, beating him would be a cakewalk.

If I were to fight him I would move through his weak ass punchers and then I would land a huge left uppercut that would send him into orbit! But thats just my style! lol

Verstyle
05-09-2006, 06:36 PM
Gotta agree with you there. I dropped down to 175lbs and am 5'7". When I sparr against guys that are up to 50lbs heavier and as tall as 6'5" I tend to dominate most of the time. I usually have issues with guys closer to my weight or height. I really don't know why you get so angry at that dude. I saw his video and he exhibited no skill at all. I saw mystyal's video's and he looks like he is trying to better his skills instead of killing the guy. I'm sure that in a match between these two, mystyal would win by taking his time and getting in on the inside to find a KO. If I were to fight GreatestIAM, I would just move on him and block, counterpunch until he punches himself out. After that, beating him would be a cakewalk.

in alot of my sparring videos besides the latest 1 i threw out i was trying to learn more things(without the full power) oh wait i did try to learn something though,more bodyshots,everytime i would feint i would pop him in the stomach first then the head. but thanxs to the camera angle u couldnt see it

Verstyle
05-09-2006, 06:43 PM
what my plain for amatuers was is to jus throw all power punch's for the three rounds,and use a power jab to get in or a quick feint.i hope i can hit hard enough to take ppl out fast(the standing 8 that is

LightsOut Le
05-09-2006, 07:30 PM
one of the guys at my gymwho won the desert eagle showdown super heavyweights....he busted his nose and the ref didnt evenstop it..they just look at your body language...

sookyjumps
05-09-2006, 09:48 PM
ive heard of a few deaths but not many

2OSouzaSuarez12
05-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Where i fight, if you get 3 standed 8 counts in one round its a KO

ferocity
05-09-2006, 11:13 PM

thats how amature boxing is, and is one reason why i don't understand why parents think, its so dangerous for their kid to fight in the amatures when its not, any sight of danger that you may be in, here come the referre to stop the fight

ferocity
05-09-2006, 11:16 PM
ive heard of a few deaths but not many

its been said in the news that football has caused a few deaths, both pro and high school football, i forget what year it was but i remember this one year were high school football player were dieing on the field left and right, so it seemed.

too many people are scared of boxing, and they shouldn't but thats probably the same reason why some kids stay away from boxing, besides parents encourage other sports

ferocity
05-09-2006, 11:31 PM
In the amatuers we are there to help you guys learn the sport of boxing. Not the brutalities of it.

If you would like to get dropped I recommend the pro game.

LOL, i had to quote you. and i aggree with you.

ferocity
05-09-2006, 11:32 PM
Its not a solid punch that brings the 8 counts. Lots of solid punches can be landed in an amatuer match without an 8 count being administered.

When a good shot lands I will get close and look at the fighters eyes and notice his disposition. If in anyway I feel that he is hurt or dazed by the shot I will step in.

You guys seem to think that the Amatuers are supposed to be like the pros. They are not, they are night and day with the pros. Like I said, amatuer boxing is about skill not raw power. Besides, if you dont take the time to learn the true skill of the art in the amatuers, you will wish that you had if you ever turn pro.

Amatuer boxing is a sport that builds character and self pride in the young men that participate. We want them to have the best experience with the sport that they can. Letting someone get beat down is not a good experience for anybody in amatuyer boxing. When we see a kid go down the officials drive home feeling horrible about it. These are kids and we dont want any of them hurt if we can help it.

An 8count in the amatauers is nothing. Its a time where we can take a good look at you and make sure that your ok. Besides, in the amatuers the only thing that an 8 count scores is the blow landed, 1 point thats it. No 10-8 rounds here man. If I step in and give an 8 count yeah they get pissed sometimes. When I stop a fight they get furious sometimes. Go out and land a jab and that 8 count has been nullified. Its just something that I will deal with as I lay to sleep after bouts. I will feel that I did the right thing and that I know that the kid will be back to fight another day, with no serious injuries.

good post man

Verstyle
05-09-2006, 11:33 PM
isn tit 12oz gloves, if so those fee like pillows when i put them on there way to light,which is a good thing of course

Verstyle
05-09-2006, 11:34 PM
i have to say it but im amatuers if im facing u, im going to try to knock u out with every punch :D

ferocity
05-09-2006, 11:35 PM
what my plain for amatuers was is to jus throw all power punch's for the three rounds,and use a power jab to get in or a quick feint.i hope i can hit hard enough to take ppl out fast(the standing 8 that is

you can do that and it looks like you have power, but it may be difficult for you to get fights cause some trainers may see you before they make the fight and not put their fighter in their with you, so don't be surprised if your trainer has to put you in a tournament sooner rather then later

and as rockin said, the amatures is a learning experince

ferocity
05-09-2006, 11:36 PM
i have to say it but im amatuers if im facing u, im going to try to knock u out with every punch :D

who you talking too?

Verstyle
05-09-2006, 11:43 PM
you can do that and it looks like you have power, but it may be difficult for you to get fights cause some trainers may see you before they make the fight and not put their fighter in their with you, so don't be surprised if your trainer has to put you in a tournament sooner rather then later

and as rockin said, the amatures is a learning experince

learning experience yes.but it also is like a scotting agency cause ppl see u and see who u got, like promoters and all those. so if i show them what i got, they will be more interested, so no half power in the amatuers :)

Verstyle
05-09-2006, 11:44 PM
who you talking too?

oh no 1. im jus saying in general on what i wanna do

ferocity
05-10-2006, 12:08 AM
learning experience yes.but it also is like a scotting agency cause ppl see u and see who u got, like promoters and all those. so if i show them what i got, they will be more interested, so no half power in the amatuers :)

i see what your saying, but you better prepare yourself, its not easy going 3 tough rounds with full power, but with conditioning and proper sparring no problem

ferocity
05-10-2006, 12:08 AM
oh no 1. im jus saying in general on what i wanna do

i see, cool

Verstyle
05-10-2006, 12:10 AM
i see what your saying, but you better prepare yourself, its not easy going 3 tough rounds with full power, but with conditioning and proper sparring no problem

usually i train with alot of intensity.for 3 tough rounds isnt **** for me.

ferocity
05-10-2006, 12:15 AM
usually i train with alot of intensity.for 3 tough rounds isnt **** for me.

thats good and this will help you a lot, but sparring is also a must, just make sure you get good sparring, are you running? i think it was you who said you didn't run much. running up and down stairs is really good too, a combination or running and running the stairs would be great

Verstyle
05-10-2006, 12:18 AM
thats good and this will help you a lot, but sparring is also a must, just make sure you get good sparring, are you running? i think it was you who said you didn't run much. running up and down stairs is really good too, a combination or running and running the stairs would be great

yeah i know, but with my job i get enough exercise and stuff. also it suxs cause my coach is a dumb ass. like today he's going to ask me if i wanna go spar at another gym and i already did like an hour workout and extremly tired from work. i mean damn tell me earlier so i wont do much. but he told some other ppl besides me so they didnt do nuttin. ****ed up huh

ferocity
05-10-2006, 12:28 AM
yeah i know, but with my job i get enough exercise and stuff. also it suxs cause my coach is a dumb ass. like today he's going to ask me if i wanna go spar at another gym and i already did like an hour workout and extremly tired from work. i mean damn tell me earlier so i wont do much. but he told some other ppl besides me so they didnt do nuttin. ****ed up huh

LOL, trainers do that type of ****, belive me when i was in hard training, their were times i worked hard then had to sparr, and i've also have sparred after doing my routine, if you're in shape you can sparr, you may not be as effective but you can do it, ain't noting ****ed up about that, is my opinon.

next time he asked you to sparr tell him yes and go sparr

ferocity
05-10-2006, 12:36 AM

that ain't no substitute, especially when your in the middle of a fight and your so damn winded and tired that your mind goes blank, and you get stopped, ****s happened to me

the time that i've felt the best in the ring was when i was running and running up and down the stairs

a little history from one of a few ali's book i've read, he said, "i used to train at this gym then after words i'd run to the next gym and train again" or somthing similar but basicly he used to train at two gyms and run to the other after finishing at the first one

Verstyle
05-10-2006, 12:56 AM
LOL, trainers do that type of ****, belive me when i was in hard training, their were times i worked hard then had to sparr, and i've also have sparred after doing my routine, if you're in shape you can sparr, you may not be as effective but you can do it, ain't noting ****ed up about that, is my opinon.

next time he asked you to sparr tell him yes and go sparr

its over 100degees in the gym and i had came back from workin outside for 9hours, running stairs with furniture in my hand. my legs were beat. i didnt even run today cause my legs r out of it

Verstyle
05-10-2006, 12:57 AM
that ain't no substitute, especially when your in the middle of a fight and your so damn winded and tired that your mind goes blank, and you get stopped, ****s happened to me

the time that i've felt the best in the ring was when i was running and running up and down the stairs

a little history from one of a few ali's book i've read, he said, "i used to train at this gym then after words i'd run to the next gym and train again" or somthing similar but basicly he used to train at two gyms and run to the other after finishing at the first one

ali is crazy, my closest gym is like 20min away. driving distance

ricecrispi
05-10-2006, 03:20 AM

1)For amateurs thats not good strategy because the matches are based on points. Try to land a wild shot and you get tagged 2 points from 2 good counters. It will be hard to make it up if you continue fighting that style.

2) 8 count doesn't give you extra points. Counts as a single point. Helps protect fighters

3) Hard to land big punch and knockout guys because most guys cover up, have headgear, and 12 ounce gloves. You can hurt but wont knockout because 1) extra protection gear 2) standing 8 count prevents you from jumping on these guys to knock them out.

4)4 rounds is sometime hard to figure some boxers.

Amateurs is for developing ring skills and learning ring tactics. Big difference of little league and big league. When you get busted up real bad with black eye, broke nose, and swollen jaw for a few weeks and hurts laying the face on the pillow, you lose taste for the ring real fast.

mgkirkpatrick
05-10-2006, 05:19 AM
if he's going to be the shorter stout guy facing the lanky guy with the reach he's goin to have to take a chance on being out pointed to get inside anyways and land n e ways. if im the shorter guy id be lookin for power shots too.

ferocity
05-10-2006, 10:25 PM
1)For amateurs thats not good strategy because the matches are based on points. Try to land a wild shot and you get tagged 2 points from 2 good counters. It will be hard to make it up if you continue fighting that style.

2) 8 count doesn't give you extra points. Counts as a single point. Helps protect fighters

3) Hard to land big punch and knockout guys because most guys cover up, have headgear, and 12 ounce gloves. You can hurt but wont knockout because 1) extra protection gear 2) standing 8 count prevents you from jumping on these guys to knock them out.

4)4 rounds is sometime hard to figure some boxers.

Amateurs is for developing ring skills and learning ring tactics. Big difference of little league and big league.
When you get busted up real bad with black eye, broke nose, and swollen jaw for a few weeks and hurts laying the face on the pillow, you lose taste for the ring real fast.

so true, thats why its a must to surrond yourself with positive people

pug1986
05-10-2006, 10:45 PM

...right on

ricecrispi
05-10-2006, 11:27 PM
in the gym you see alot of guys with 100 or so amateur fights. Go pro and its a different beast. I seen guys that went from amateurs to pro, take a beating in a mismatch and just quit. The beatings aren't like what you see on TV.

Until you deal with it you wont know how your body will respond to it so its not just about the chin taking a punch. I've seen talented boxers but copuldn't deal with this stuff. Doesn't make them any less tough.

It HURTS and swells worst after the fight because adrenaline dies down and you have to deal with it for days before everything goes down to normal. Sore stomach, sides, or back from body attack and you could be peeing red for days. Tired arms and weak legs and you feel unable to walk or drive or just stand. Sore jaw, cut mouth eat, or clogged sinus from broken nose so you can sleep, talk, or makes it hard to breathe. This can be you even if you WIN.

If you want to be the best, I'm just warning you.

ferocity
05-11-2006, 01:14 AM
in the gym you see alot of guys with 100 or so amateur fights. Go pro and its a different beast. I seen guys that went from amateurs to pro, take a beating in a mismatch and just quit. The beatings aren't like what you see on TV.

Until you deal with it you wont know how your body will respond to it so its not just about the chin taking a punch. I've seen talented boxers but copuldn't deal with this stuff. Doesn't make them any less tough.

It HURTS and swells worst after the fight because adrenaline dies down and you have to deal with it for days before everything goes down to normal. Sore stomach, sides, or back from body attack and you could be peeing red for days. Tired arms and weak legs and you feel unable to walk or drive or just stand. Sore jaw, cut mouth eat, or clogged sinus from broken nose so you can sleep, talk, or makes it hard to breathe. This can be you even if you WIN.

If you want to be the best, I'm just warning you.

so true, so very true, i was in a pro fight for 1 round -ref stepped in and stopped the fight- and we were exchangeing punchs and i got knocked down once and got right up keep fighting then ref stops the fight...well in the fight even though i went down, i didn't feel his power at all. infact i went to the dressing room feeling like i wasn't even in a fight.

come the next morning and it felt like i had just been hit with a ****ing hammer! i was feeling paing in my head for days, and that no joke, but even in some of my amature fights i felt badly bruised up but the pro experiance was way worse.

but its all part of the sport

Verstyle
05-11-2006, 01:20 AM
so true, so very true, i was in a pro fight for 1 round -ref stepped in and stopped the fight- and we were exchangeing punchs and i got knocked down once and got right up keep fighting then ref stops the fight...well in the fight even though i went down, i didn't feel his power at all. infact i went to the dressing room feeling like i wasn't even in a fight.

come the next morning and it felt like i had just been hit with a ****ing hammer! i was feeling paing in my head for days, and that no joke, but even in some of my amature fights i felt badly bruised up but the pro experiance was way worse.

but its all part of the sport

yeah i bet. i know this is going to sound funny. but i cant wait to get hit hard, so i can see how it feels, i've only have maybe 3 bloody noses in 2years of sparring and it was inside my nose. and i few rubs on my cheecks

Rockin'
05-11-2006, 01:22 AM
yeah i bet. i know this is going to sound funny. but i cant wait to get hit hard, so i can see how it feels, i've only have maybe 3 bloody noses in 2years of sparring and it was inside my nose. and i few rubs on my cheecks

You can wait mystal. Cause once you turn that corner there is no turning back. Learn the skills first man, be patient and it will come with hardwork... and patience.

ricecrispi
05-11-2006, 04:59 PM
learning the skills is important because it protects you going into the ring as a pro. You don't learn the skills and your body will pay for it at that level.

I was like you but my trainer gave me an early taste with the head gear ON and i didnt like it. He was an ex middlewight golden glove champ in Boston of all places, only 38 and still 165. I weighed 130 but it made realized what other people are capable of and I wasn't ready yet. If you feel ready ask your trainer to give you a taste before you dive in.

I seen guys never get hurt from sparring or training or never get hit hard etc. When you have to carry someone or help them walk back to the room you will realize how tough it really is. Literally is a struggle for you safety and well being. Its not about points and learning techniques.

ferocity
05-11-2006, 09:49 PM

when you get your amature fight make sure to record it