View Full Version : England Provisional Squad - Thoughts?

OptimusWolf
05-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Provisional squad:
Robinson (Tottenham), James (Manchester City), Green (Norwich); G Neville (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Terry (Chelsea), Cole (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Carragher (Liverpool), Bridge (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Carrick (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Downing (Middlesbrough), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Walcott (Arsenal).

Standby:
Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace).

He's gone a bit funny hasn't Sven....the two fit strikers in the squad have a combined total of 50 or so PL starts and about 12 goals!

Hargreaves shouldn't be in, how is johnson above Bent. and Jenas has been a bit lucky IMO.

Mick Hucknall
05-08-2006, 11:24 AM
I hope they get dumped out in group stages

Hector_pickle
05-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Excuse me you Scottish imbosil lady

OptimusWolf
05-08-2006, 12:07 PM
I hope they get dumped out in group stages
Not likely Jimmy, but it seems that Sven wants to go out with a chuckle on his face as we get comprehensively outplayed by a Holland or Argentina, teams we should really have been favourites against.

SMC
05-09-2006, 05:15 AM
It's pretty much what we expected apart from a few changes..no Bent or Defoe? stupid. Walcott though is a very good player and this world cup could make him. Great to see Aaron Lennon get called up...Hargreaves? your having a laugh..

the giant one
05-09-2006, 05:53 AM
i have a feeling defoe will get on the squad. i dont think rooney will recover in time. crouch making it over him was a bit suprising

TheHoff!
05-09-2006, 06:43 AM
After being such a cautious boring bastard for so long Sven finally starts to gamble. Good on him. I think Defoe will get brought in at some point when they realise Rooney definately wont be fit... and from what I've heard about Walcott he's worth taking a chance on, although if Wenger says he's so good why hasnt he played him yet?

OptimusWolf
05-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Yep its strange to see Sven suddenly taking gambles, but I'm not sure they're altogether the right ones.

Remove Jenas replace with SWP, or more likely Defoe if Rooney isn't fit.
Remove Hargreaves and replace with Parker (my one "strange" pick)

But having only 2 fit strikers, with NO goalscoring pedigree at ANY level is baffling.

We should still get out of the group but beyond that its gonna be tough...

boxstarr
05-09-2006, 03:57 PM
i think walcott could impress as owen and rooney did at his age, but id be much happier taking him if owen and rooney were fit, as more of a wildcard

dont really want both crouch and walcott in the lineup, but if one with either rooney or owen, it could baffle opponents

id like to see SWP in place of hargreaves though

and i feel sorry for bent

SMC
05-09-2006, 04:27 PM
This world cup could make Walcott, he is that much of a good player..i've seen him live a couple of times for Saints/Arsenal reserves and he can beat a player easily, he's very quick and is skillful but yeah it's a gamble..lets just hope Walcott makes the same impact as Wayne Rooney did at Euro 2004.

Hargreaves...Jenas? Sven sort it out, why is there no place for Kevin Nolan, Scott Parker? they have been consistent this season for both their clubs and surely warrant a call up to the team. ****in Sven, big foreheaded cunt

Also, why the hell isn't either Jermaine Defoe or Darren Bent in the team? a midfield place should be sacrafised(sp?)for a forward..im thinking Jenas/Hargreaves for Bent/Defoe, dissapointing to see Darrent Bent not even make the stand by list thing, what more can he do? he's the top English scorer in the Premier League. And why the **** is Andy Johnson on stand by but Bent isn't?

I would love to give Sven a slap across the forehead

Boxclever
05-09-2006, 04:28 PM
Provisional squad:
Robinson (Tottenham), James (Manchester City), Green (Norwich); G Neville (Manchester United), Ferdinand (Manchester United), Terry (Chelsea), Cole (Arsenal), Campbell (Arsenal), Carragher (Liverpool), Bridge (Chelsea), Beckham (Real Madrid), Carrick (Tottenham), Lampard (Chelsea), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), Jenas (Tottenham), Downing (Middlesbrough), J Cole (Chelsea), Lennon (Tottenham), Rooney (Manchester United), Owen (Newcastle), Crouch (Liverpool), Walcott (Arsenal).

Standby:
Scott Carson (Liverpool), Luke Young (Charlton), Nigel Reo-Coker (West Ham), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham), Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace).

He's gone a bit funny hasn't Sven....the two fit strikers in the squad have a combined total of 50 or so PL starts and about 12 goals!

Hargreaves shouldn't be in, how is johnson above Bent. and Jenas has been a bit lucky IMO.

if you're only taking four strikers you need four fit ones :eek: should have picked another striker to compensate for carrying two injured players :cool:

boxstarr
05-09-2006, 04:38 PM
yeah i also think that one midfielder couldve been sacrificed for a striker

i wouldve given SWP lennons place and bent hargreaves'

SMC
05-09-2006, 04:47 PM
yeah i also think that one midfielder couldve been sacrificed for a striker

i wouldve given SWP lennons place and bent hargreaves'

Nah, allthough i do rate SWP i think Aaron Lennon deserves the call up more for sure..he's been ****in ace for Spurs this season while SWP has been just a bench warmer for Chelsea ( he should of stayed at City, money grabbin lil twat )

Boxclever
05-09-2006, 04:48 PM
to my mind SWP Should be in there. :cool: