View Full Version : Question about Marciano's strength

Jenks88
05-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I read a lot of posts where people say that Marciano was one of the strongest fighters ever, second only to guys like Foreman, etc. I am curious how people come to these conclusions. It seems to me that it is highly unlikely for a 5'11 185 lb guy to be stronger than, say, a 5'11 220 lbs guy like Tyson, or other guys like Tua, Lewis, etc. I don't have any concrete proof that these bigger guys would be stronger--does anyone have any legitimate info about how much Marciano could bench, etc?--all I'm saying is that it seems unlikely. I mean, look at the guys at those worlds strongest man contests and powerlifters--all those guys are huge, bulky guys. Seems like the more muscle you have, the more strength you'll have. I agree that some strength is natural, and I'm sure Marciano had a lot of natural strength, but I want to see some hard evidence that Marciano was one of the strongest fighters ever; and don't tell me its because he was able to push around his opponents, cause none of the top guys he faced weighed over 200lbs.

Kid Achilles
05-05-2006, 04:19 PM
That's just not true, check boxrec and you'll see he fought several opponents over 200 and even 210 pounds. Archie Moore said Marciano was without a doubt the strongest man he ever fought and the Ol' Mongoose fought plenty of big strong heavyweights. Joe Louis said it hurt to bump into him and praised his strength and Louis defeated several 250+ pounders who would have been giants and considered extremely strong even by today's standards. If Louis was even impressed with his freakish strength, it was very real.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-05-2006, 05:28 PM
yea Joe Louis up to that point said Max Shcmeling was the the hardest hitter he fought but after the fight with Marciano he said Marciano hit harder

Jenks88
05-05-2006, 05:44 PM
I know that he was strong and hit hard, but I just wanna see if there is any hard evidence to prove he was one of the strongest fighters ever. IMO its really hard to say who is the strongest unless you have their bench press/dead lift/ squat records, or some other uniform method of testing strength. It's hard to say who is the strongest, but there is definetly something to be said for a 220 lb muscled guy like Tyson being stronger than a 185lb Marciano. Tyson had natural strength just like Marciano, but he also had 35 lbs of muscle on him. Same with a lot of other big heavyweights, like that kid Sam Peter, or Ibeabuchi. Marciano pushed around 200-210lb guys who were decent fighters, but did he push around 250 lb+ guys? Maybe, but if he fought a 250 lb guy it was probably some fat bum from early in his career. I just can't see Marciano being stronger than guys like Tyson, Lewis, Tua....unless someone can show me some good evidence.

Kid Achilles
05-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Tyson lacked natural functional strength and was easily pushed around by most opponents. I don't see the comparison. Maybe Tyson moves Marciano around in the clinches but if so it's due to the weight. Pound for pound he was MUCH weaker than Rocky.

Obviously no one thinks Marciano bulls Samuel Peter around, but he was extremely strong for his size.

Yaman
05-05-2006, 05:54 PM
Its very complicated.

Mike Tyson can probably bench press more than Holyfield, Lewis etc. But he wasn't VERY strong, atleast not in the same league as a Foreman. Holyfield pushed Tyson and looked like the stronger man, but no way does he bench press more or do more weight lifting etc.

It all comes down to natural strenght, being able to push people, manhandle them in clinches and Marciano belongs up there.

JDizzle79
05-05-2006, 05:54 PM
marciano was built like a brick ****house

Dempsey 1919
05-05-2006, 07:32 PM
I read a lot of posts where people say that Marciano was one of the strongest fighters ever, second only to guys like Foreman, etc. I am curious how people come to these conclusions. It seems to me that it is highly unlikely for a 5'11 185 lb guy to be stronger than, say, a 5'11 220 lbs guy like Tyson, or other guys like Tua, Lewis, etc. I don't have any concrete proof that these bigger guys would be stronger--does anyone have any legitimate info about how much Marciano could bench, etc?--all I'm saying is that it seems unlikely. I mean, look at the guys at those worlds strongest man contests and powerlifters--all those guys are huge, bulky guys. Seems like the more muscle you have, the more strength you'll have. I agree that some strength is natural, and I'm sure Marciano had a lot of natural strength, but I want to see some hard evidence that Marciano was one of the strongest fighters ever; and don't tell me its because he was able to push around his opponents, cause none of the top guys he faced weighed over 200lbs.

of course he's not as strong as those guys. pushing archie moore around and then pushing foreman around are two different things.

dansweeney
05-05-2006, 07:41 PM
of course he's not as strong as those guys. pushing archie moore around and then pushing foreman around are two different things.

you really are sick aren't you? again posting in yet another marciano thread!!!!!! you know nothing about the man. you have no basis. why do you always make the strength comparison between rocky and foreman? ali couldn't push foreman around either, in fact i don't think any heavy in history ever pushed george around, he was a freak of nature. so what's your point? oh ya, your racist. stop posting in every marciano thread. get over your obsession coward

Dempsey 1919
05-05-2006, 07:43 PM
you really are sick aren't you? again posting in yet another marciano thread!!!!!! you know nothing about the man. you have no basis. why do you always make the strength comparison between rocky and foreman? ali couldn't push foreman around either, in fact i don't think any heavy in history ever pushed george around, he was a freak of nature. so what's your point? oh ya, your racist. stop posting in every marciano thread. get over your obsession coward

didn't your mother give you enough love when you were a child? you sound like a very bitter individual. :D

dansweeney
05-05-2006, 07:49 PM
didn't your mother give you enough love when you were a child? you sound like a very bitter individual. :D

go away dude. nobody wants to hear your opinions on marciano anymore, in fact nobody wants to hear anything you have to say because it's all slanted in one direction. I'm a crusader against racism. and you are my prey.

Azteca
05-05-2006, 08:00 PM
marciano was an enigma. he trained with 300 pound heavy bags, doing hundreds of push ups and dozens of pull ups a day. he also used to box under water, something that he swore by when it came to punching power. his strength came from something that no one had as much as him - determination.

Dempsey 1919
05-05-2006, 08:15 PM
go away dude. nobody wants to hear your opinions on marciano anymore, in fact nobody wants to hear anything you have to say because it's all slanted in one direction. I'm a crusader against racism. and you are my prey.

go away? aren't you the one following me around? :confused:

dansweeney
05-05-2006, 08:26 PM
go away? aren't you the one following me around? :confused:

you say marciano wasn't strong as an ox. weight doesn't mean ****, most of the heavyweights today shouldn't weigh anywhere near what they do. did you know Rocky trained with a custom made 270 pound heavy bag? i have training footage so ive seen it. the man was freakishly powerful for his size. i know 150 pound guys who can bench close to 400 pounds man, weight is irrelevant in many cases, not all, but many.

Yaman
05-05-2006, 08:33 PM
Buttfly, you just HAVE to ruin another thread dont you ***got?

Jenks88
05-06-2006, 01:01 AM
Guys please don't get into another stupid thread war. If you wanna flame each other do it over private messages.

Dempsey 1919
05-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Buttfly, you just HAVE to ruin another thread dont you ***got?

who is this little *****? :confused: :D

Jenks88
05-06-2006, 01:15 AM
Actually, you know, I've been thinking--to hell with all my criticism of Marciano. Strength, who he fought, whatever--he did his best and proved himself. He's a great fighter and a top ten heavyweight. And one of the most mentally tough fighters ever.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-06-2006, 01:50 AM
P4P Marciano is probably the strongest Heavyweight ever

Not P4P he's probably in the top 5 strongest

behind guys like Foreman,Shavers,etc

Guys like Tyson and Frazier are in there somewhere too

so Marciano was definitely one of the strongest fighters

P4P he was the strongest

Dempsey 1919
05-06-2006, 02:49 AM
P4P Marciano is probably the strongest Heavyweight ever

Not P4P he's probably in the top 5 strongest

behind guys like Foreman,Shavers,etc

Guys like Tyson and Frazier are in there somewhere too

so Marciano was definitely one of the strongest fighters

P4P he was the strongest

i think dempsey p4p was stronger.

CRESCENDOPOWER
05-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Marciano looks like he had some pretty decent quadriceps in those pictures.

Southpaw Stinger
05-06-2006, 09:27 AM
i think dempsey p4p was stronger.

He was tough and strong, Dempsey would wreak havoc on todays division!

p4p Lamotta needs a mention. He didn't have much punching power but he had a lot of strength tp keep going forward through everything his opponents could throw.

Also p4p Ray Robinson needs a mention, his punchers were fast and hard and he could knock guys out in a variety of weightclasses.

Ali was strong but a weak hitter. p4p Ali is probably one of the weakest hitters ever, but p4p Ali is the fastest fighter of all time!

But I don't care much for p4p anyway.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-06-2006, 02:08 PM
He was tough and strong, Dempsey would wreak havoc on todays division!

p4p Lamotta needs a mention. He didn't have much punching power but he had a lot of strength tp keep going forward through everything his opponents could throw.

Also p4p Ray Robinson needs a mention, his punchers were fast and hard and he could knock guys out in a variety of weightclasses.

Ali was strong but a weak hitter. p4p Ali is probably one of the weakest hitters ever, but p4p Ali is the fastest fighter of all time!

But I don't care much for p4p anyway.

P4P Willie Pep is the best fighter ever

P4P Rocky Marciano is the hardest hitter ever (even not p4p he was one of the hardest hitters)

P4P Jake Lamatta is probably the second or third hardest hitter

P4P IMO Tyson or SRRobinson is the fastest ever

Dempsey 1919
05-06-2006, 04:01 PM

P4P Rocky Marciano is the hardest hitter ever (even not p4p he was one of the hardest hitters)

p4p ali is the fastest ever. i thought that was a given.

blockhead
05-06-2006, 04:07 PM
who is this little *****? :confused: :D
go **** yourself buttfly, you are easily the biggest ****tard on this forum. why dont you leave again? this place was much better without your homoerotic delusions.

blockhead
05-06-2006, 04:07 PM
p4p ali is the fastest ever. i thought that was a given.
you are so ****ing stupid its not even funny anymore.

Dempsey 1919
05-06-2006, 04:36 PM
you are so ****ing stupid its not even funny anymore.

block*****, shut the hell up. you are the most annoying piece of **** on BS. you keep following me around like you have feelings for me or something. and if that's you in your avatar then i can understand why you are so bitter. you are one ugly whiteboy. probably been turned down by a few black chicks in your time, huh ***got? just shut up and go back to the trailer park you live in and watch jerry springer like all the other white trailer park trash does. :cool:

blockhead
05-06-2006, 04:39 PM
block*****, shut the hell up. you are the most annoying piece of **** on BS. you keep following me around like you have feelings for me or something. and if that's you in your avatar then i can understand why you are so bitter. you are one ugly whiteboy. probably been turned down by a few black chicks in your time, huh ***got? just shut up and go back to the trailer park you live in and watch jerry springer like all the other white trailer park trash does. :cool:
nice try buttfly. you have once again proven how little you know about boxing. not with your stupid ****ing posts but, you think thats ME in my avatar. your rediculous. ****ing moron.
oh and nice use of racism in you post about me.

oliverlt
05-06-2006, 04:42 PM

that proves you know nothing of boxing past or present.

Dempsey 1919
05-06-2006, 04:46 PM
that proves you know nothing of boxing past or present.

did i say i knew everything about boxing? i don't follow today's boxing all that much, just boxing history.

Dempsey 1919
05-06-2006, 04:47 PM
nice try buttfly. you have once again proven how little you know about boxing. not with your stupid ****ing posts but, you think thats ME in my avatar. your rediculous. ****ing moron.
oh and nice use of racism in you post about me.

aaaw, what happened? is that all you can come up with? did i hurt your little feelings? :D

have fun at home in the trailer park. :cool:

dansweeney
05-06-2006, 06:40 PM

jesus man, that's Ricky Hatton in his avatar, the dude is a beast. how the hell do you not know who he is. he's only one of the most popular boxers out there today. you know Brooklyn isn't very far from Philly where I live Butterfly. I'd love to see you say these racist comments to MY face.

dansweeney
05-06-2006, 06:42 PM
of course butterfly doesn't know Ricky Hatton, they don't allow cable television in juvenile hall. im starting to think he is about 14 or 15 years old.

blockhead
05-06-2006, 07:01 PM
aaaw, what happened? is that all you can come up with? did i hurt your little feelings? :D

have fun at home in the trailer park. :cool:
ummm, what? how do you possibly think that you could hurt me in any way. your an idiot and that fact has been exposed by many posters on this site. every time you post you make a fool of yourself. and your last post was no exception

Dempsey 1919
05-06-2006, 07:14 PM
ummm, what? how do you possibly think that you could hurt me in any way. your an idiot and that fact has been exposed by many posters on this site. every time you post you make a fool of yourself. and your last post was no exception

yea, spare me. you are a bitter white boy who loves to follow me around. damn, what i'm that popular? you and people like nextrocky and alot of other people cannot avoid trailing me around this forum flaming the crap out of me. i used to just brush it off, but now i can't ignore it anymore. you are some ***got ass white piece of trailer park ****, ok, little boy? if you like boys, then go get hard for some of those bug tooth ugly ass white boys in your trailer park, cause i'm not a ***got like you and i like the opposite sex, like a normal man does. bye, bye, be a man for once and never bother me again! :cool:

blockhead
05-06-2006, 07:19 PM
yea, spare me. you are a bitter white boy who loves to follow me around. damn, what i'm that popular? you and people like nextrocky and alot of other people cannot avoid trailing me around this forum flaming the crap out of me. i used to just brush it off, but now i can't ignore it anymore. you are some ***got ass white piece of trailer park ****, ok, little boy? if you like boys, then go get hard for some of those bug tooth ugly ass white boys in your trailer park, cause i'm not a ***got like you and i like the opposite sex, like a normal man does. bye, bye, be a man for once and never bother me again! :cool:
hahahahahaha. nice, do you know why people follow you around and flame you? its because you like a ****ing train wreck, you cant help but look. your posts are so retarded that we cant help but look and call you out. keep going with this trailer park and racist ****. its starting to get good. oh and telling me to be a man? good ****, you ****ing jock riding queer. you live in your parents basement and jerk off nightly to espn classic. you should have been a stain on the sheets that ran down the crack of your mothers fat hairy ass.

Dempsey 1919
05-06-2006, 07:36 PM
hahahahahaha. nice, do you know why people follow you around and flame you? its because you like a ****ing train wreck, you cant help but look. your posts are so retarded that we cant help but look and call you out. keep going with this trailer park and racist ****. its starting to get good. oh and telling me to be a man? good ****, you ****ing jock riding queer. you live in your parents basement and jerk off nightly to espn classic. you should have been a stain on the sheets that ran down the crack of your mothers fat hairy ass.

look, even when i'm not even talking about boxing, you will still flame me, so obviously you have feelings for me or something. and it's only you and a couple other people, so my posts couldn't be that bad. just because you get your little feelings hurt when i tell the truth about that bum marciano, doesn't mean my posts are bad. it's just that them old white racists have been pulling the wool over your eyes telling you and others about how marciano was so strong and he could knock out anyone and how he couldn't be beat just because he wasn't. well, he was overated and any sane boxing fan would agree with me.

dansweeney
05-06-2006, 07:39 PM
look, even when i'm not even talking about boxing, you will still flame me, so obviously you have feelings for me or something. and it's only you and a couple other people, so my posts couldn't be that bad. just because you get your little feelings hurt when i tell the truth about that bum marciano, doesn't mean my posts are bad. it's just that them old white racists have been pulling the wool over your eyes telling you and others about how marciano was so strong and he could knock out anyone and how he couldn't be beat just because he wasn't. well, he was overated and any sane boxing fan would agree with me.

your more obsessed with marciano than you are with Ali. nobody is even talking about him. they have espn classic in jail?

Yaman
05-06-2006, 07:44 PM
WHy are you still here posting?

Dempsey 1919
05-06-2006, 08:06 PM
WHy are you still here posting?

be quiet fool. :p

Yaman
05-06-2006, 08:39 PM
You know, we can become friends again if you never post about Marciano again.

Dempsey 1919
05-06-2006, 09:11 PM
You know, we can become friends again if you never post about Marciano again.

i never said anything false about marciano.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-06-2006, 11:45 PM
P4P i think Sugar Ray Robinson was faster, because sugar ray was a middleweight/welterweight and he's near Ali speed, alittle slower but up there

Dempsey 1919
05-07-2006, 12:30 AM
P4P i think Sugar Ray Robinson was faster, because sugar ray was a middleweight/welterweight and he's near Ali speed, alittle slower but up there

um, your not making any sense. p4p ali was faster because sugar ray was a middleweight/welterweight. ali was fast for his size, and robinson was lighter, so a 160lb. man like robinson being fast is not as impressive as a 215lb. man like ali being fast.

Heckler
05-07-2006, 02:20 AM
Marciano had huge functional strength, no doubt about it.

Heckler
05-07-2006, 02:33 AM

P4P Willie pep was very good but i give SRR that title
P4P hardest hitters, im not certain that it is Marciano... guys like Julian Jackson and welterweight Tommy Hearns had titanic power P4P.. It could very well be Marciano though.

P4P Ali is the fastest. Ali's jab was tested to be faster then SRR and there is a huge weight differential, Ali was clearly faster then Tyson yet the gap between their prime weights is about 5 pounds. Ali then Tyson and Joe Louis would have to be P4P the fastest boxers.