View Full Version : elastic bands

lil rocky
05-04-2006, 09:23 PM
does anyone here ever use elastic bands to work out with and if so do they work or just a waste of time.

LightsOut Le
05-05-2006, 12:43 AM
i use the resistance bands on shadowboxing...that what you mean?

Rockin'
05-05-2006, 12:49 AM
I prefer 2-3 lb handweights for shadowboxing. The bands are too restrictive and akward in the fluid motion of the punches.

Rockin' :boxing:

PunchDrunk
05-05-2006, 01:19 AM
If you have shoulder problems, bands are excellent for doing specific work on the joint stabilizing muscles in the shoulder.

Agreed with Rock, handweights are a better bet for boxing specific work.

yrrej
05-05-2006, 06:30 AM
I used to use them and liked them, but couldn't find any that wouldn't wear out and break after a short time, so gave it up....

sizu24
05-06-2006, 01:42 AM
I think they're great. Roy Jones Jr. used them a lot. His new training DVD, "Heart of A Champion" shows him using resistance bands for a lot of his workouts. A lot of martial artists like Jet Li use them for speed. When you're able to control your punches using resistance bands, you're punches are going to be way faster.

moy22487
05-06-2006, 01:44 AM
do they help with power much?

Verstyle
05-06-2006, 01:45 AM
I prefer 2-3 lb handweights for shadowboxing. The bands are too restrictive and akward in the fluid motion of the punches.

actually there not. well the 1s i use. and weights build muscle when using which in turn will make your punch's slower

Verstyle
05-06-2006, 01:46 AM
do they help with power much?

yeah they do. since your much is being resistant u dont get the full power on your punches and of course when u take them off u get it back and more

mayweather
05-06-2006, 01:49 AM
haha gaining muscle doesnt make you slower if you want me to explain...

moy22487
05-06-2006, 01:50 AM
everlast had some on clearence in there site for like 8 bucks. should i be cautiouse about buying do to low cost. or is that a fair price?

Verstyle
05-06-2006, 01:51 AM
haha gaining muscle doesnt make you slower if you want me to explain...

oh please explain.

Verstyle
05-06-2006, 01:52 AM
everlast had some on clearence in there site for like 8 bucks. should i be cautiouse about buying do to low cost. or is that a fair price?

the ls i bought in my video on here with the bags. cost 60 bucks

sizu24
05-06-2006, 01:57 AM
My resistance bands cost like $30. The prices are different depending on what you get. You have to see how thick they are, how much they weigh, and how much resistance they have. I think they help a lot with speed and also power. I feel like my punches are more explosive, and I'm so much faster than I ever was before I used these things. And remember, speed is also power.

mayweather
05-06-2006, 02:49 AM
oh please explain.
gaining muscle does not cause you to become slower. especially using light weights. the majority of lightweight exercises such as dumbell shadowboxing are for muscular endurance at a higher pace rate then boxing without weights. there are 3 types of fast twitch muscle fibers. type I, type IIa, and type IIb. Gaining type I is what makes you "slower". type I are mainly used for force and mostly gained through heavy weight training like football players do. Type II a are for stabilization and again, force. These are not much of a factor in making you "slow". Type IIb fibers are what is used for speed. Gaining type II b fibers is done through plyometrics like cables or elastic bands haha, and other exercises such as box jumps or depth pushups. This would be the most efficient way to gain muscle without losing speed. Gaining type IIb fibers. The others are important as well when it comes to power with your punch but the reason people become "slower" when they lift a lot (like football players) is because high intensity weight training doesnt increase gains of type IIb. So to sum it up, resistance band training is not bad and neither is 2-3 lb handweight training. Both can be used for muscular endurance and the bands even more so for speed. As well as can low weight bench press with 12-15 reps as forceful as you can is good for speed and power at the same time. Along with other freewieght and cable exercises done right. haha there you go. gaining muscle doesnt make you slower.

Verstyle
05-06-2006, 02:53 AM
gaining muscle does not cause you to become slower. especially using light weights. the majority of lightweight exercises such as dumbell shadowboxing are for muscular endurance at a higher pace rate then boxing without weights. there are 3 types of fast twitch muscle fibers. type I, type IIa, and type IIb. Gaining type I is what makes you "slower". type I are mainly used for force and mostly gained through heavy weight training like football players do. Type II a are for stabilization and again, force. These are not much of a factor in making you "slow". Type IIb fibers are what is used for speed. Gaining type II b fibers is done through plyometrics like cables or elastic bands haha, and other exercises such as box jumps or depth pushups. This would be the most efficient way to gain muscle without losing speed. Gaining type IIb fibers. The others are important as well when it comes to power with your punch but the reason people become "slower" when they lift a lot (like football players) is because high intensity weight training doesnt increase gains of type IIb. So to sum it up, resistance band training is not bad and neither is 2-3 lb handweight training. Both can be used for muscular endurance and the bands even more so for speed. As well as can low weight bench press with 12-15 reps as forceful as you can is good for speed and power at the same time. Along with other freewieght and cable exercises done right. haha there you go. gaining muscle doesnt make you slower.

u tell my muscles that then bud :cool: and alot of other boxers that dont use weight's cause of it. to me more muscles=more weight which=being slower cause of added weight ya get me

sizu24
05-06-2006, 02:55 AM
^^^
Mayweather is absoluetley right. To some point, building muscle can actually help you get faster.

mayweather
05-06-2006, 02:56 AM
u tell my muscles that then bud :cool: and alot of other boxers that dont use weight's cause of it. to me more muscles=more weight which=being slower cause of added weight ya get me
sure haha .

sizu24
05-06-2006, 02:58 AM
Oh yea, in Bruce Lee's book, "The Art of Expressing the Human Body", he talks about how lifting weights and gaining some muscle will help you become faster. It's a great book, go grab it.

mayweather
05-06-2006, 03:01 AM
Oh yea, in Bruce Lee's book, "The Art of Expressing the Human Body", he talks about how lifting weights and gaining some muscle will help you become faster. It's a great book, go grab it.
yeah and as well mayweather trained for gatti using weights so im assuming after that he still continues use with them. Mayweathers nowhere near slow

Verstyle
05-06-2006, 03:06 AM
yeah and as well mayweather trained for gatti using weights so im assuming after that he still continues use with them. Mayweathers nowhere near slow

he probably did weights for power. then had to gain all of it back in other speed exercises. this i do. but i gain muscle so quickly i think i have a problem, i have really fast muscle growth. but once i get bigger i gotta do other things to get me back where i was again

sizu24
05-06-2006, 03:08 AM
Well, I think that's the best way to do it. It's good to lift weights, but you gotta make sure you do speed exercises afterwards so you don't get slow. It's the combination of both that makes you fast, while adding some strength.

mayweather
05-06-2006, 03:10 AM
yeah, nuetralize all the mass you gained with endurance and speed exercises. but to thread starter, elastic bands would be a good investment

PunchDrunk
05-06-2006, 04:49 AM
he probably did weights for power. then had to gain all of it back in other speed exercises. this i do. but i gain muscle so quickly i think i have a problem, i have really fast muscle growth. but once i get bigger i gotta do other things to get me back where i was again

Do you even know wtf POWER is??? :confused:

acceleration x mass = power

acceleration IS speed, no speed NO power.

That said, you do look like the kinda guy who grows fast. That is because you have a high concentration of fast twitch fibres, which again, is why you have power.
So to you, the problem in using weights, is keeping your weight down. Most other people don't have that problem, ESPECIALLY using light handweights for shadowboxing. In fact, to your muscles there's no real difference between elastic bands and hand weights. Resistance is resistance, as far as your muscles are concerned. The question is HOW MUCH resistance? And if you can shadowbox with it, the resistance is too small for hypertrophy.

Oh, and just to clear up: Using handweights for shadowboxing IS a speed exercise! :)

Pugnacious_Z
05-06-2006, 10:41 AM
hey mayweather, by the way, half the **** u said was false man. i can tell ur new to muscle physiology. type 1 muscle fibres are endurance fibres which have slow contraction times and low force output but can last a long time which u get while doing light weights many many times. doing an exercise only a few times gives u type 2 fibres which gives u max force and low endurance

Rockin'
05-06-2006, 10:44 AM
actually there not. well the 1s i use. and weights build muscle when using which in turn will make your punch's slower

Not the way that I use them they dont. I will tell you that my punches became much faster and sharper using the hand weights. If you are using heavy weight, yes it will make you slower. Using small weights builds speed and endurance, when you know how to use them.

Verstyle
05-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Do you even know wtf POWER is??? :confused:

acceleration x mass = power

acceleration IS speed, no speed NO power.

That said, you do look like the kinda guy who grows fast. That is because you have a high concentration of fast twitch fibres, which again, is why you have power.
So to you, the problem in using weights, is keeping your weight down. Most other people don't have that problem, ESPECIALLY using light handweights for shadowboxing. In fact, to your muscles there's no real difference between elastic bands and hand weights. Resistance is resistance, as far as your muscles are concerned. The question is HOW MUCH resistance? And if you can shadowbox with it, the resistance is too small for hypertrophy.

Oh, and just to clear up: Using handweights for shadowboxing IS a speed exercise! :)

naw i think hand weights still put on muscle. and u said no speed no power. ell big george foreman that 1 ;) but trust me resistant bands and weights r different. with bands u can extend your hand and it feels like its jus gravity messin with u. but with weights if feels like u got rock's in your hands

Verstyle
05-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Not the way that I use them they dont. I will tell you that my punches became much faster and sharper using the hand weights. If you are using heavy weight, yes it will make you slower. Using small weights builds speed and endurance, when you know how to use them.

not for me. i can guarentee that my muscles probably grow alot faster then the average person, so ne weight exercise i do i gain muscle

mayweather
05-06-2006, 02:30 PM
hey mayweather, by the way, half the **** u said was false man. i can tell ur new to muscle physiology. type 1 muscle fibres are endurance fibres which have slow contraction times and low force output but can last a long time which u get while doing light weights many many times. doing an exercise only a few times gives u type 2 fibres which gives u max force and low endurance
thanks for the correction. still readin up on it

lil rocky
05-06-2006, 02:37 PM
what are some routines that you guys do with the bands

Verstyle
05-06-2006, 02:41 PM
what are some routines that you guys do with the bands

i do my whole shadowboxing(without gloves) and my bag work(with gloves) with them