View Full Version : Was Marciano's Chin Overrated?

rocco1252
05-03-2006, 06:03 PM
It seems we have people here who believe Marciano's Chin was overrated so I have provided this poll to see what everyone thinks.

Now before everyone goes and says Charles was old and Walcott was old and were blown up Cruiserweights for their answer I just put it there and thats not a reason both were considered tremendeous punchers and greats themselves, so come up with a better reason than that.

Dempsey 1919
05-03-2006, 10:05 PM
It seems we have people here who believe Marciano's Chin was overrated so I have provided this poll to see what everyone thinks.

Now before everyone goes and says Charles was old and Walcott was old and were blown up Cruiserweights for their answer I just put it there and thats not a reason both were considered tremendeous punchers and greats themselves, so come up with a better reason than that.

the biggest puncher marciano ever faced was a 93 year old joe louis, so beating him is nothing special. marciano never took good shots from big punchers. walcott is not a big puncher period, neither is moore at hw. so yes, marciano's chin is highly overrated. in terms of best chins, marciano's name shouldn't be even mentioned with the likes of chuvalo, tua, foreman, or ali.

Dempsey1238
05-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Foreman had a decent chin, he falls short of a great chin, he was ko by Ali. And knockdown a few times.

Top chins are Ali, Robinson, Lamatta, Jim Jeffies, Fullmer, Baslo, and Barney Ross.

Others are there of couse. But I would never say Foreman had a great chin on the level of say the raging Bull or Ali. Foreman could be knockdown or knockout.

Dempsey 1919
05-03-2006, 10:13 PM
Foreman had a decent chin, he falls short of a great chin, he was ko by Ali. And knockdown a few times.

Top chins are Ali, Robinson, Lamatta, Jim Jeffies, Fullmer, Baslo, and Barney Ross.

Others are there of couse. But I would never say Foreman had a great chin on the level of say the raging Bull or Ali. Foreman could be knockdown or knockout.

foreman was ko'd by ali cause he was tired. ali's power didn't knockout foreman, it was big george's poor stamina. marciano was knocked down by one punch more than once when he was fresh and by low level punchers on top of that, so no way marciano has a better chin than foreman.

Dempsey1238
05-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I never mention the Rock's chin. I think its about the level of Foreman, but also the 2 punchs that knock Marciano down were more of poor footing(Like standing on one foot vs Moore) than being hurt.

Foreman was down a few times too many vs Ron Layle for my taste.

Foreman does not compare to say Jake or Ross's chin.

Lamatta was never knockdown in his prime, and was shot when it did happen, and Ross was never knockout.

Heckler
05-03-2006, 10:23 PM
I would say Marcianos chin is overrated, but there is no denying it was solid. Overrated because he never faced anyone renowned for huge power. If he had stuck around, and fought liston, and his chin held up then yes he deserves the credit for being able to take a punch. His chin was solid, but i think his stamina and will to win is the reason he was able to absorb so much punishment.

K-DOGG
05-03-2006, 11:29 PM
The man was only knocked down twice, never stopped and faced some pretty hard bangers..who's names escape me at the moment...before he ever won the title.

Not to mention from a sheer volume of punches he took throughout his championship reign. His defense was underrated; but he still took some monster flush shots and wasn't stopped once. That left hook Walcott dropped him with in round 1 of the first fight was essientially the same punch he knocked Charles onto Queer Street with....Rock got up and kept coming.

I think when you look at a relatively small heavyweight who fought bigger men...who's defense wasn't superb....who caught alot of shots flush...and who was only knocked down twice in a 49 fight career and never stopped, you have to say he had whiskers of steel.

Da Iceman
05-03-2006, 11:32 PM
foreman was ko'd by ali cause he was tired. ali's power didn't knockout foreman, it was big george's poor stamina. marciano was knocked down by one punch more than once when he was fresh and by low level punchers on top of that, so no way marciano has a better chin than foreman.
you complain when people say ali was knocked down by cooper. but he was caught off balance. so was marciano those 2 knockdowns, and i only see you criticizing him for it. it had nothing to do with his chin he was caught perfectly with his foot off the ground. walcott was good at catching people like that, thats why he knocked down louis 3 or 4 times.

Dempsey 1919
05-03-2006, 11:34 PM
you complain when people say ali was knocked down by cooper. but he was caught off balance. so was marciano those 2 knockdowns, and i only see you criticizing him for it. it had nothing to do with his chin he was caught perfectly with his foot off the ground. walcott was good at catching people like that, thats why he knocked down louis 3 or 4 times.

i'll give you that, but marciano's chin was never really tested against really big punchers like chuvalo, tua, ali, and foreman was.

K-DOGG
05-03-2006, 11:36 PM
the biggest puncher marciano ever faced was a 93 year old joe louis, so beating him is nothing special. marciano never took good shots from big punchers. walcott is not a big puncher period, neither is moore at hw. so yes, marciano's chin is highly overrated. in terms of best chins, marciano's name shouldn't be even mentioned with the likes of chuvalo, tua, foreman, or ali.
Blatantly Biased observation, Butterfly. :nonono:

Da Iceman
05-03-2006, 11:37 PM
i'll give you that, but marciano's chin was never really tested against really big punchers like chuvalo, tua, ali, and foreman was.
wow thats a first. im sure his heart and will to win wouldve kept him from being put down. he was the most relentless fighter ever.

Dempsey 1919
05-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Blatantly Biased observation, Butterfly. :nonono:

name one huge puncher marciano fought besides joe louis? name one. exactly, no one. louis was slow and washed up, so he doesn't count. other than that nooooooobody!

K-DOGG
05-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Carmine Vingo

Dempsey1238
05-03-2006, 11:59 PM
Rex Layne was a good banger, and Marciano took his best punchs.

Vingo is other.

But thats about it on the punchers.

K-DOGG
05-04-2006, 12:02 AM
Rocky went 49-0 without getting knocked out and was knocked down just twice. Once with essentially the same shot that kayoed Charles, once by the man with the most knock-outs of any fighter who has ever lived...who weighed just a few pounds less than Marciano.

Nuff Said.

Yogi
05-04-2006, 12:16 AM
you complain when people say ali was knocked down by cooper. but he was caught off balance. so was marciano those 2 knockdowns

The knockdown Marciano suffered against Moore looked to be almost completely via an "off balance" shot judging by the way Marciano was positioned when that right hand from Moore landed, but I can't say the same thing for the one he suffered against Walcott...That was a hell of a left hook right on the chin by Walcott and judging by the way he went down & the way he reacted as soon as he got up, I say that punch from Walcott hurt Marciano to some degree.

And again, the knock down Ali suffered against Cooper was LARGELY the result of getting hit with an excellant left hook right on the chin and Ali was noticably hurt from it...

The Moore knockdown, yes. But I wouldn't nearly call these two knockdowns up here as of the "off balance" variety...especially Cooper's knock down of Ali.

Hous
05-04-2006, 01:32 AM

Joe Louis was only 9 years older than Marciano, tyson knocked his champion out with a 11 year difference. Archie Moore knocked out Floy Patterson even though he was 21 years older. Power doesnt diminish so fast so its foolish to say its not impressive he KOed Louis. Thats why punchers like George Foreman can be World Champions at the age of 45, he he was not powerful and relied on his footwork he wouldn't last as long. Thats common sense among boxers.

Verstyle
05-04-2006, 01:35 AM
being hit by over the hill guys out of there primes and lighter weight ppl doesnt contend to me as having a great chin. unless u get hit by a "REAL" heavyweight then ok.

Hous
05-04-2006, 01:38 AM

Rex Layne, a powerful puncher, who knocked out 25 of his first 36 opponents. 69%
Harry "Kid" Mathews, with 61 KOs in 87 wins. 70%.
Archie Moore, the man who holds the record for the most knock outs of any fighter who ever lived; 145 KOs in 199 wins. 73%.
Walcott, 30 KOs in 50 wins, for 60%.
Joe Louis, 49 KOs in 63 wins, 78%
Eddie Ross 23 KOs in 26 wins at time they fought. 88%

To compare with some other fighters:
Holmes 71%
Ken Norton 78%
Ali 66%
Liston 78%
Ingemar Johansson 65%
Max Baer 74%
Max Schmeling 68%
Dempsey 79%
Jack Johnson 38%
http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Arena/1047//Rocky13.html

You are the most biased poster hear. You tell these men they aren't really big punchers.

Also Louis won his belt from a man that was 12 years older than him, your logic blows.

So the correct answer to, "Is Rocky Marcianos Chin Overrated?" Would be, "Is you on crack?"

dansweeney
05-04-2006, 01:40 AM
name one huge puncher marciano fought besides joe louis? name one. exactly, no one. louis was slow and washed up, so he doesn't count. other than that nooooooobody!

you've seen 5 of his fights. what do you base your opinion on? this is what im talking about with you. the man was down 2 times for about 4 seconds., come again with something better young man

dansweeney
05-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Rex Layne, a powerful puncher, who knocked out 25 of his first 36 opponents. 69%
Harry "Kid" Mathews, with 61 KOs in 87 wins. 70%.
Archie Moore, the man who holds the record for the most knock outs of any fighter who ever lived; 145 KOs in 199 wins. 73%.
Walcott, 30 KOs in 50 wins, for 60%.
Joe Louis, 49 KOs in 63 wins, 78%
Eddie Ross 23 KOs in 26 wins at time they fought. 88%

To compare with some other fighters:
Holmes 71%
Ken Norton 78%
Ali 66%
Liston 78%
Ingemar Johansson 65%
Max Baer 74%
Max Schmeling 68%
Dempsey 79%
Jack Johnson 38%

You are the most biased poster hear. You tell these men they aren't really big punchers.

Also Louis won his belt from a man that was 12 years older than him, your logic blows.

So the correct answer to, "Is Rocky Marcianos Chin Overrated?" Would be, "Is you on crack?"

thank you sir!!!!!!!! lets ride on this mother****er, he is totally bias and hates Marciano because he is undefeated and ali wasn't.

Hous
05-04-2006, 01:44 AM
being hit by over the hill guys out of there primes and lighter weight ppl doesnt contend to me as having a great chin. unless u get hit by a "REAL" heavyweight then ok.

Marciano was 9 years younger than Walcott
But...
Dempsey was 13 years younger than Willard
James J. Jefferies was 12 years younger than Bob Fitzsimmons
Louis was 12 years younger than Braddock
Ali was 10 years younger than Liston
Holmes was 6 years younger than Norton
Spinks was 11 years younger than Ali
Tyson was 14 years younger than Trevor Berbick (WBC Champion)
Tyson was 12 years younger than James "Bonecrusher" Smith (WBA Champion)
Jim Corbett was 8 years younger than John L. Sullivan

So, the average age difference for these championship fights was 11 years. Rocky therefore had less of an age factor advantage than Dempsey, Jefferies, Louis, Ali, Spinks, Tyson, and Corbett.

Non-title fights:
Marciano was 10 years younger than Archie Moore
But wait....
Ali was 19 years younger than Archie Moore!!!
Patterson was 21 years younger than Archie Moore!!!!
Joe Louis was 9 years younger than Max Schmelling. (Max KO'd Joe and was later KO'd by him)
Louis was 12 years younger than Jack Sharkey
Ali was 8 years younger than Henry Cooper
Ali was 7 years younger than Patterson

Your logic is flawed aswell. According to you Ali, Louis, Dempsey, Tyson, Spinks, and Jefferies are also the overrated. You have to know what you are talking about before you post or someone with facts will make you look stupid.

</Thread> :bottle:

dansweeney
05-04-2006, 01:48 AM
But...

So, the average age difference for these championship fights was 11 years. Rocky therefore had less of an age factor advantage than Dempsey, Jefferies, Louis, Ali, Spinks, Tyson, and Corbett.

Non-title fights:
But wait....
Joe Louis was 9 years younger than Max Schmelling. (Max KO'd Joe and was later KO'd by him)

Your logic is flawed aswell. According to you Ali, Louis, Dempsey, Tyson, Spinks, and Jefferies are also the overrated. You have to know what you are talking about before you post or someone with facts will make you look stupid.

keep on keepin on man, you are stating facts, butterfly and mystikal speculate.

Verstyle
05-04-2006, 01:50 AM
But...

Non-title fights:
But wait....

your the stupid 1 ******* and im going to tell u why u ****in crybaby. your age doesnt matter, it's your prime that matters. tyson was outta him prime at about 25 which is ****in young. alot of fighters get beat by older ppl. its all about the experience and your prime. in boxing age isnt ****, for a nobody like yourself i guess u wouldnt realize that. ;) OWNED and why the **** r u naming all these ppl :confused: we talkin about rocky u stupid ass *****. what does all these ppl's age gotta do with rocky koing old ppl that r outta there prime. that was the worse comparision i've ever witnessed myself

dansweeney
05-04-2006, 01:57 AM
your the stupid 1 ******* and im going to tell u why u ****in crybaby. your age doesnt matter, it's your prime that matters. tyson was outta him prime at about 25 which is ****in young. alot of fighters get beat by older ppl. its all about the experience and your prime. in boxing age isnt ****, for a nobody like yourself i guess u wouldnt realize that. ;) OWNED and why the **** r u naming all these ppl :confused: we talkin about rocky u stupid ass *****. what does all these ppl's age gotta do with rocky koing old ppl that r outta there prime. that was the worse comparision i've ever witnessed myself

you just can't understand simple logic little man., that's all

Verstyle
05-04-2006, 01:58 AM
you just can't understand simple logic little man., that's all

who the **** r u to call some1 little man *****. jus cause u got rockies dick in your mouth also dont get mad. its not my fault he fought grandpa's that were well past there prime. :bottle: suck on 1 of these and give another to your man hous

Dempsey 1919
05-04-2006, 02:03 AM
Joe Louis was only 9 years older than Marciano, tyson knocked his champion out with a 11 year difference. Archie Moore knocked out Floy Patterson even though he was 21 years older. Power doesnt diminish so fast so its foolish to say its not impressive he KOed Louis. Thats why punchers like George Foreman can be World Champions at the age of 45, he he was not powerful and relied on his footwork he wouldn't last as long. Thats common sense among boxers.

age difference here is overrated. marciano was 28, louis was 37. so marciano was in his prime and louis was way past his prime. ali was 22, and liston was 32. ali was not quite in his prime while liston was a little past his prime. liston was way younger than louis was, so he was better, and marciano was more developed than clay. so even though marciano-louis was only a 9yr difference, and clay-liston was 10, liston was better off than louis, and marciano was better off than clay. so your argument is shot down!

Verstyle
05-04-2006, 02:09 AM
age difference here is overrated. marciano was 28, louis was 37. so marciano was in his prime and louis was way past his prime. ali was 22, and liston was 32. ali was not quite in his prime while liston was a little past his prime. liston was way younger than louis was, so he was better, and marciano was more developed than clay. so even though marciano-louis was only a 9yr difference, and clay-liston was 10, liston was better off than louis, and marciano was better off than clay. so your argument is shot down!

he's jus going to come back with something lame and a half page post :rolleyes:

dansweeney
05-04-2006, 02:11 AM
who the **** r u to call some1 little man *****. jus cause u got rockies dick in your mouth also dont get mad. its not my fault he fought grandpa's that were well past there prime. :bottle: suck on 1 of these and give another to your man hous

if that bottles got vodka in it than hook me up.

Dempsey 1919
05-04-2006, 02:14 AM
he's jus going to come back with something lame and a half page post :rolleyes:

yeah, probably, lol! :D

dansweeney
05-04-2006, 02:17 AM
yeah, probably, lol! :D

come on man, even if you don't agree with him, he is still throwing up some good stats. kicking knowlege

Verstyle
05-04-2006, 02:22 AM
come on man, even if you don't agree with him, he is still throwing up some good stats. kicking knowlege

but whats the point in him doing all that. on this thread all i said is he fought past there prime, old fighters and he went into a temper tantrum

Verstyle
05-04-2006, 02:22 AM

but whats the point in him doing all that. on this thread all i said is he fought past there prime, old fighters and he went into a temper tantrum :bottle: :bottle: :bottle:

dansweeney
05-04-2006, 02:27 AM
but whats the point in him doing all that. on this thread all i said is he fought past there prime, old fighters and he went into a temper tantrum :bottle: :bottle: :bottle:

the real truth is that we all live in the espn and technology age, we will never know how good fighters in the 50's and earlier really were, because you don't see hdtv clips of every dam fight they had and every punch they threw. the matchups will never happen, but what keeps this site going is that we all have opinions, and that's good, cause what else would we be doing right now?

tommyhearns804
05-04-2006, 05:30 AM

Neither Charles or Walcott were big punches.Most of Charles fights win the distance and Walcott had 30kos out of his 50 so wins which isnt horrible but most of his opponents were garbage.And they were old at the time they fought Maricano and Walcott was a bum basically.His only good wins in his career came from beating Charles who was a natural middleweight.And Charles best wins came from beating Moore a natural middleweight.
In any case if Moore and Walcott could knock him down with one punch then they guys who were actual big punchers and were actually heavyweights would knock him out with ease.Marciano's chin was really overrated.If he would of been fighting even skilled cruiserweights his size who had a high ko percentage and then had only been down 2 times then you could say something about his chin.But until the man's chin was just as overrate as Marciano the boxer.

Yaman
05-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Some of the biggest morons on this forum just have to ruin a great thread :rolleyes: . I tell you, if we didn't have these 3 clowns around here, we would've had a good thread.

King Koyle
05-04-2006, 11:40 AM
I guess that depends how high people rate his chin.All I know is Rocky had a great chin.He may have been floored at times,but you could never keep this man down.

Southpaw Stinger
05-04-2006, 11:54 AM
He had a great chin since he was knocked down only twice and was never KO'd. Problem was it was never test by a big puncher so I would say his chin is overated.

Verstyle
05-04-2006, 12:18 PM

Neither Charles or Walcott were big punches.Most of Charles fights win the distance and Walcott had 30kos out of his 50 so wins which isnt horrible but most of his opponents were garbage.And they were old at the time they fought Maricano and Walcott was a bum basically.His only good wins in his career came from beating Charles who was a natural middleweight.And Charles best wins came from beating Moore a natural middleweight.
In any case if Moore and Walcott could knock him down with one punch then they guys who were actual big punchers and were actually heavyweights would knock him out with ease.Marciano's chin was really overrated.If he would of been fighting even skilled cruiserweights his size who had a high ko percentage and then had only been down 2 times then you could say something about his chin.But until the man's chin was just as overrate as Marciano the boxer.

u have the same beginning sentence as rocco and its not in a gray box. r u rocco? if so u jus got so busted
:rolleyes:

Verstyle
05-04-2006, 12:19 PM
Some of the biggest morons on this forum just have to ruin a great thread :rolleyes: . I tell you, if we didn't have these 3 clowns around here, we would've had a good thread.

who u talkin to me

Dempsey 1919
05-04-2006, 02:08 PM
u have the same beginning sentence as rocco and its not in a gray box. r u rocco? if so u jus got so busted
:rolleyes:

apparently he doesn't know how to use the quote button.

M26
05-04-2006, 06:05 PM

Rocky Marciano had a great chin, there is no doubt about it. Eventhough he never fought a Sonny Liston or a George Foreman, he took alot of hard shots along the way, and the man barely blinked.

No, Rocky Marcianos chin is not overrated.

SuzieQ49
05-04-2006, 07:07 PM

marciano was 6 years younger than archie moore

marciano was 32, archie was 38

marciano fought a big puncher, jersey joe walcott. walcott could really bang with that left hook. walcott rated # 66 on RINGS top 100 Greatest Punchers of all time!

archie moore rated # 4 on Rings top 100 greatest punchers of all time.

tiger ted lowry and curtis hatchetman sheppard WHO FOUGHT ALL THE BIG HARD PUNCHING HEAVYWEIGHTS OF THE 1940S said archie moore was the hardest hitter of them all. moore could still clearly bang at heavyweight

joe louis was once the greatest puncher of all time, so even a old joe louis is still a hard puncher. joe louis was also big 6'2 215lb when he fought marciano. ezzard charles face was completley puffed up after fighting joe louis. lee savold a very durable fighter was knocked out by one punch by joe louis.

rex layne could hit like a truck with his right hand. 25 KO out of 35 wins before he fought marciano.

carmine vingo was a 6'4 young hard hitting prospect. charlie goldman claimed vingo could hit very hard.

johnny skhor was 6'5 220lb and had recorded 21 KO out of 30 wins before he fought marciano

big bill wilson 6'3 229lb recorded 42 KO out of 52 wins

McGoorty
07-19-2011, 07:33 AM

INDEED A AN AWESOME CHIN and NECK, ROCKY has a legitimate claim to the No 1 ALL-TIME CHIN but of couse there are other claimants, think BASILIO

paulsinghnl
07-19-2011, 08:31 AM
excuse me guys, but aren't we forgetting ourselves that Marciano was around 190 lbs max.? that has an effect on your chin too.

barfly12
07-19-2011, 02:20 PM
He put Louis on the floor in both of their bouts. he had a wicked left hook. Anyone who says he can't punch doesn't know boxing.