View Full Version : Need some much needed advice?

GreatestIam
05-02-2006, 06:42 PM
I lost my first fight and my record has dropped down to 1-1 1ko

I was dominating the 1st rd convincingly and even had my guy KOed on his feet but due to a hold and the end of the round he got away,the judges had it scored 10-8 also according to the cards, howeverafter the end of round 1 rather then my trainer letting me seat down to gain my air back he made me stand up (after only 4 days of training for the fight and he knows i smoke weed) and every time i tried to strattle against the ropes he made me stand tall... so i went out the 2nd rd of 3 tired and exausted but still stood my ground with my awesome jab jab jab cross combo, however the guy was much more rested and had better staminathen me and started to hit me with some medicore but fully connected shots and my trainer threw in the towel at about 1:32 of the 2nd rd everyone was shcoked and upset except myslef at the time becuz i was so tired! When i told my family and friends about it they say i should find a new tranier! What do you guys think?

The fight was in Michigan City on April 29th, My trainer however has also told me i could fight the same dude on the 20th of may and want to so i can knock his ass out what do you guys think?

armani_model
05-02-2006, 06:47 PM

I was dominating the 1st rd convincingly and even had my guy KOed on his feet but due to a hold and the end of the round he got away,the judges had it scored 10-8 also according to the cards, howeverafter the end of round 1 rather then my trainer letting me seat down to gain my air back he made me stand up (after only 4 days of training for the fight and he knows i smoke weed) and every time i tried to strattle against the ropes he made me stand tall... so i went out the 2nd rd of 3 tired and exausted but still stood my ground with my awesome jab jab jab cross combo, however the guy was much more rested and had better staminathen me and started to hit me with some medicore but fully connected shots and my trainer threw in the towel at about 1:32 of the 2nd rd everyone was shcoked and upset except myslef at the time becuz i was so tired! When i told my family and friends about it they say i should find a new tranier! What do you guys think?

The fight was in Michigan City on April 29th, My trainer however has also told me i could fight the same dude on the 20th of may and want to so i can knock his ass out what do you guys think?

Shame..not so great are you huh?...

SovietExpress
05-02-2006, 06:47 PM
interesting........

GreatestIam
05-02-2006, 06:51 PM
haha on no im still great but had a little fork in the road, but also a lfie lesson taught to me, but my greatness isnt the question, what i should do is!

armani_model
05-02-2006, 06:54 PM
haha on no im still great but had a little fork in the road, but also a lfie lesson taught to me, but my greatness isnt the question, what i should do is!

You should stop smoking weed...Fighting unfit people is a dream come true. I would have run rings round you...just get into shape and quit the green man.

Scottie2Hottie
05-02-2006, 07:14 PM
you cant be the greatest if you cant quit smokin the reefer.

though i will say that it might be deeper than that. i used to smoke a pack a day, plus weed, and i never really had stamina issues.

i might be a freak of nature though. i used to be able to sprint while dragging on a cig.

THE REAL NINJA
05-02-2006, 08:04 PM
sorry to hear that :) stop smoking!! whats more important to you ? Has your trainer given you all the tools you need to win has he had you working your stamina ? maybe he was trying to teach you a lesson ;) maybe thats why he told you about the rematch, don't blame him if he's done his job ....

JoeTheRock7
05-02-2006, 08:46 PM

I was dominating the 1st rd convincingly and even had my guy KOed on his feet but due to a hold and the end of the round he got away,the judges had it scored 10-8 also according to the cards

You are a pro?

THE REAL NINJA
05-02-2006, 09:37 PM
You are a pro?
no he's not lol

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
where are you training out of again Greatone?

Rockin'

j
05-02-2006, 10:05 PM
weed doesn't affect stamina or seem to reduce breathing capacity. this is because the active ingredient(thc) does not supress your lungs in the manner that tobacco does. it actually opens the lungs acting as a bronchial dilator.

http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/storage/paper657/news/2002/07/23/Opinion/Long-Live.The.Weed-518270.shtml?sourcedomain=www.thebatt.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

quick advice on that - don't smoke cigerettes, stop smiking blunts(if you do that is), and buy high grade marijuana so you smoke less as any form of smoke isn't really that great for your lungs. vaporizing, however, is a different story.

about your trainer, i don't know the whole situation so it is hard to comment on that. usually, in any type of pro or amateur fighting competition, you would really have to have your ass handed to you in order for your trainer to stop a fight.

did he ever tell you why he threw the towel in besides simply saying you were getting your ass beat?

JoeTheRock7
05-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Well then he's lying because amateur fights arent scored ny a ten point must system. They are scored through the electronic scoring system.

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 10:11 PM
Well then he's lying because amateur fights arent scored ny a ten point must system. They are scored through the electronic scoring system.

Not always by electronic system but you are correct, 10-8 rounds are never in the amatuers. 20-18 maybe back in the day of the 20 point must system. We use clickers when no electronic system is available. Highest point total at end of bout wins.

Rockin' :boxing:

Kid Achilles
05-02-2006, 10:15 PM
I thought the 10-8 round part of his story sounded very suspicious for an amateur fight.

GreatestIam
05-02-2006, 10:50 PM
No im not pro im amateur and im training out of Kalamazoo, MI with Curtis Issac a former pro

GreatestIam
05-02-2006, 10:59 PM
I thought the 10-8 round part of his story sounded very suspicious for an amateur fight.

haha well to be honest i did make the 10-8 rd up but was told in simple terms by the judges and my tranier that the first round was easily mine!

As for him throwing the towel in i was not getting my ass whooped in any shape or form, but my opponent was landing shots that neither staggered me or made me out on my feet! i have not asked my tranier why he threw the towel in but ill say this, he acts a little funny around me becuz i stand up to him rather then let him tell me things that i already know! The more i think about it, it pisses me off he threw the towel in, and im wondering if i should drop him or not?

Smokin'
05-02-2006, 11:01 PM
How do you just drop a trainer like that?

Verstyle
05-02-2006, 11:07 PM
the greatest lost :eek: :eek: oh no it cant be true :eek:

GreatestIam
05-02-2006, 11:09 PM
just stop going to his gym or telling him, i mean i dont want to but i feel like i was stooped outta a win and that my trainer put me in there withoput perparing me enough stamina wise,(i was killing the guy, and going all out in the 1st rd for th KO) i mean the least he coulda did was what every other fighters trainer did that night and thats let me seat down, i honestly can say this now seating down between rounds helps a great deal and every fighter here can agree with that one

GreatestIam
05-02-2006, 11:10 PM
the greatest lost :eek: :eek:

YUP to a scrub whos record was 9-2 3kos

Smokin'
05-02-2006, 11:13 PM
You want my honest opinion? I say keep him. Look man, we're both young guys here, BUT this trainer does know more about the fight game then you (most likely). I've been in your position before, and at the end of the day, do whatever suits you. If I was in your shoes, I would keep him because he fought pro's and he knows more about it then you.

Sitting down is actually worse for you, especially early in a fight. It's kinda like when you go for a run you shouldn't drop to the ground right away, rather you should walk it off.

GreatestIam
05-02-2006, 11:21 PM
Sitting down is actually worse for you, especially early in a fight. It's kinda like when you go for a run you shouldn't drop to the ground right away, rather you should walk it off.

I see what you mean, but seating down after going out and giving it 130% in a fight is different becuz when your running you can pace yourself etc, when your fighting you cant just pace yourself you have to go defensive ofensive and back and forth i mean there are times when you can lay low and back up when your opponent is not being aggressive but in a matter of seconds that can change and if your like me and tryin to take your opponent out ever exchange taking a seat between rounds helps a great deal, believe me im almost 100% sure if i would of got to seat down for that 1 m i n u t e it woulda been a whole different fight rd 2

Smokin'
05-02-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah, that's a good point man. I believe ya on that and I actually think it does, BUT I gotta go with my orginial point. Your trainer knows best. Maybe there was a problem with your tactics as you punches yourself out. I don't know. The worst thing you want in high level sports is an ego. Trust me.

Rockin'
05-03-2006, 12:37 AM
You have nobody to blame for your defeat besides yourself. You have admitted to not preparing yourself properly and that you were already getting tired in the way early part of the fight.

In time you will appreciate a trainer who will not let you just go out and sustain a beating. He probably saw that you were spent or may have even been embarresed by your lack of conditioning or speed you were fighting. You lost an amatuer bout, big deal. Train, get prepared properly and get up there and fight. My trainer always told me that fatigue will make cowards of us all.

Like I said, in time you may come to appreciate trainers like yours that will throw the towel when you were doing ****. Come back another day and fight again. But why stand up there exhausted excepting blows, you dont win fights that way. Your trainer saw this and called an end to it. Dont blame your trainer for the loss, take responsibility for your actions before in training aswell as the fight that you gave away.

Scottie2Hottie
05-03-2006, 12:46 AM
lol, "fatigue makes cowards of us all," was your trainer vince lombardi? ;)

anyways, im out my entire life savings since donald hoskins blew it. i thought he was unbeatable. :(

but hey, wasnt his fault.

Rockin'
05-03-2006, 12:48 AM
I didnt know Lambardi said that. It was something a trainer early on kept repeating to me.

Verstyle
05-03-2006, 12:52 AM

anyways, im out my entire life savings since donald hoskins blew it. i thought he was unbeatable. :(

i thought he was to. he said he was going to show me how to really do it with boxin on my latest sparring video. i jus hope he still does. and he said he could take me with uppercuts,that i believe

GreatestIam
05-03-2006, 02:20 AM
You have nobody to blame for your defeat besides yourself. You have admitted to not preparing yourself properly and that you were already getting tired in the way early part of the fight.

In time you will appreciate a trainer who will not let you just go out and sustain a beating. He probably saw that you were spent or may have even been embarresed by your lack of conditioning or speed you were fighting. You lost an amatuer bout, big deal. Train, get prepared properly and get up there and fight. My trainer always told me that fatigue will make cowards of us all.

Like I said, in time you may come to appreciate trainers like yours that will throw the towel when you were doing ****. Come back another day and fight again. But why stand up there exhausted excepting blows, you dont win fights that way. Your trainer saw this and called an end to it. Dont blame your trainer for the loss, take responsibility for your actions before in training aswell as the fight that you gave away.

i take respnsiblity for not being 100% prepared staminia wise but physically and boxing wise i was and my trainer new that thast why he gave me the fight on 4 day notice, but at the same time he also new my situation and im sure any good trainer would have adjusted his training style to fit the fighter and my trainer didnt do that. and im not sure if his capable of changing his tactics to fit his fighters!

And mystkal im gonna try to get my sista to record my next sparring session so i can post dat ****, anbd the uppercut comment i stick by it your a lil dude and im sure i could

GreatestIam
05-03-2006, 02:24 AM

haha its all good man youll get it back. like me becuz for that 1 fight and 1 fight only i let my mental get the nod over my physical and im a smarter fighter becuz of it, and guarentee i wont lose another amateur fight!

LoftyDog
05-03-2006, 04:23 AM
haha well to be honest i did make the 10-8 rd up but was told in simple terms by the judges and my tranier that the first round was easily mine!

As for him throwing the towel in i was not getting my ass whooped in any shape or form, but my opponent was landing shots that neither staggered me or made me out on my feet! i have not asked my tranier why he threw the towel in but ill say this, he acts a little funny around me becuz i stand up to him rather then let him tell me things that i already know! The more i think about it, it pisses me off he threw the towel in, and im wondering if i should drop him or not?

What do you mean when you say he tells you stuff you already know? Trainers are going to repeat themselves and tell you things you already know all the time when it comes to things like keeping your guard up and working angles. If he's just telling you the basics over and over again it gets annoying but hes just trying to make sure do it, not just know it.

Southpaw16
05-03-2006, 05:04 AM
There is nothing wrong with switching trainers if you don't trust the one that you are with. That being said, in this case I really think you need to take some personal responsibility.

Where you doing your roadwork? How many times did you smoke weed in the week leading up to the fight? How hard did you train? I mean, you were tired out in only the second round, for an open amateur boxer there are four rounds.

From the posts you made when you first came on the message board and now learning this information, I am under the impression that you have seriously underestimated how difficult the sport of boxing is. It is so demanding that you have to train very hard to even be a decent amateur, much less the greatest ever.

Boxing is not easy, it takes sacrifice, and you to get serious and stop blaming things on the trainer.

mgkirkpatrick
05-03-2006, 05:14 AM
how bout.. saying no i wont fight on 4 days notice? or not gone balistic in round one if u knew you were underdone?

THE REAL NINJA
05-03-2006, 10:09 AM
weed doesn't affect stamina or seem to reduce breathing capacity. this is because the active ingredient(thc) does not supress your lungs in the manner that tobacco does. it actually opens the lungs acting as a bronchial dilator.

http://media.www.thebatt.com/media/storage/paper657/news/2002/07/23/Opinion/Long-Live.The.Weed-518270.shtml?sourcedomain=www.thebatt.com&MIIHost=media.collegepublisher.com

quick advice on that - don't smoke cigerettes, stop smiking blunts(if you do that is), and buy high grade marijuana so you smoke less as any form of smoke isn't really that great for your lungs. vaporizing, however, is a different story.

about your trainer, i don't know the whole situation so it is hard to comment on that. usually, in any type of pro or amateur fighting competition, you would really have to have your ass handed to you in order for your trainer to stop a fight.

did he ever tell you why he threw the towel in besides simply saying you were getting your ass beat?
Great here we go with the drug lovers again. good info there i took D.A.R.E in school 2

Scottie2Hottie
05-03-2006, 10:27 AM
you know what donald hoskins, you might be one ****y, annoying mother****er, but ive gotta give you this...youre persistent. you lost a fight, and you havent lost your confidence.

but you have to realize...dont blame it all on your trainer. there are times (it was backyard boxing, but as far as im concerned you can expend more energy doing that) when i would pace around for my break between rounds rather than sit. so it wasnt just the fact that your trainer made you stand up.

from your pics youve shown, youre in shape, but not in great shape. go for hard runs, hit the bag longer, get your stamina up. then....you will be unstoppable, man.

THE REAL NINJA
05-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Look no offence but you are starting to sound like one of them kids who's parents tell them all thier life that they were born to play in the NFL but get cut the first year school try outs. Then everyone pumps them up telling them they were better then the rest and people are holding them back. "That coach knows nothing" is always the first thing people will say because they fear to look inside themselves and see the truth. sometimes it is a fact that someone held them back but as a new member of the sport you can not claim higher knowledge then the man that has shown you everything you know up to this point.You just need to dig deep run that extra mile if you only go to the gym 4 days a week or how ever often and that is the only time you work out then you are not dedicated. This is not only in the sport of boxing but all sports but most of all combat sports must not only be a hobby but a way of life if you wish to be great.The trainer is not going to fight for you, he's not going to do push ups for you,you must have the drive with in yourself to deal with whatever pain may come.All and all i think you need to give it time all fighters lose a fight at some point [Hopkins lost his first as a pro]I think you need to hold on see what the man has to offer in no way can a 2 fight amateur know weather his trainer is showing him wrong or right at that point

El Sniper
05-03-2006, 02:55 PM
It's sad that you lost but on the other hand, when you first came on BS you were ****y and you still exhibit that a little. I hope this fight humbled you. Maybe now you'll have more respect for this sport. A "great" boxer does not smoke weed. You can't seriously think that you can become the greatest and take boxing by storm if you smoke weed, train a little, second guess your coach and don't take responsibility for a loss. If you make a committement to train harder and actually give your trainer the respect that he deserves as if he knew what he was talking about, you can't go wrong.

RAESAAD
05-03-2006, 03:02 PM
I would beat my trainers ass and then fire him.

RAESAAD
05-03-2006, 03:03 PM
It's sad that you lost but on the other hand, when you first came on BS you were ****y and you still exhibit that a little. I hope this fight humbled you. Maybe now you'll have more respect for this sport. A "great" boxer does not smoke weed. You can't seriously think that you can become the greatest and take boxing by storm if you smoke weed, train a little, second guess your coach and don't take responsibility for a loss. If you make a committement to train harder and actually give your trainer the respect that he deserves as if he knew what he was talking about, you can't go wrong.
Post of the ****ing year....... :haha:

GreatestIam
05-03-2006, 03:59 PM
Look no offence but you are starting to sound like one of them kids who's parents tell them all thier life that they were born to play in the NFL but get cut the first year school try outs. Then everyone pumps them up telling them they were better then the rest and people are holding them back. "That coach knows nothing" is always the first thing people will say because they fear to look inside themselves and see the truth. sometimes it is a fact that someone held them back but as a new member of the sport you can not claim higher knowledge then the man that has shown you everything you know up to this point.You just need to dig deep run that extra mile if you only go to the gym 4 days a week or how ever often and that is the only time you work out then you are not dedicated. This is not only in the sport of boxing but all sports but most of all combat sports must not only be a hobby but a way of life if you wish to be great.The trainer is not going to fight for you, he's not going to do push ups for you,you must have the drive with in yourself to deal with whatever pain may come.All and all i think you need to give it time all fighters lose a fight at some point [Hopkins lost his first as a pro]I think you need to hold on see what the man has to offer in no way can a 2 fight amateur know weather his trainer is showing him wrong or right at that point

Haha actually i was a pretty good football player but have bad knees, and the reason im like i am is becuz ive trained with professinal fighters at a professional gym in Kansas City Missouri AUTHENTIC BOXING GYM with Larry Edgar, and the only reason im traning with my currnet trainer is 1 becuz im not in KC anymore and 2 his the only trainer i know of or anyboyd ive asked knows of in kalamazoo, ive however decided to continue training with him but wont go back until next week to stur up a little where is he buzz, so i can get somethings done on my own and go back in a little better shape! cuz honestly thats my only problem SHAPE (STAMINIA) ima great boxer and have studied enough boxing to knwo what not and what to do in the ring, ive also heard it all... well not all but alot of it before so...

GreatestIam
05-03-2006, 04:10 PM

Humbled me NO taught me a lesson HELL YA, as for respecting teh sprot i wouldnt participate in it if i didnt have the up most respect for it, now my condtioning is something different, and honestly man if you had the ability that i have (and im not sayinmg this to be ****y) you probley woulda went into the fight to, but i learned that ability is only about 15% of the equation and the rest in MENTAL STABILITY becuz if i had it in the fight i would have won, PHYSICAL CONDITIONING(STAMINIA) well thats why i lost and PROPER TRAINING if i would have held, or ran (RAN AS IN TRYED NOT TO GET HIT) rather then just standing there to show my inferiority over my opponent by taking his mediocur shots then i could have defintly won and that downs my lack of MENTAL STABILITY. Also i do respect my trainer but dont feel becuz he is my trainer that i have to show him any special respect if he doesnt show me that same thing!

oliverlt
05-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Humbled me NO taught me a lesson HELL YA, as for respecting teh sprot i wouldnt participate in it if i didnt have the up most respect for it, now my condtioning is something different, and honestly man if you had the ability that i have (and im not sayinmg this to be ****y) you probley woulda went into the fight to, but i learned that ability is only about 15% of the equation and the rest in MENTAL STABILITY becuz if i had it in the fight i would have won, PHYSICAL CONDITIONING(STAMINIA) well thats why i lost and PROPER TRAINING if i would have held, or ran (RAN AS IN TRYED NOT TO GET HIT) rather then just standing there to show my inferiority over my opponent by taking his mediocur shots then i could have defintly won and that downs my lack of MENTAL STABILITY. Also i do respect my trainer but dont feel becuz he is my trainer that i have to show him any special respect if he doesnt show me that same thing!

could you be the next Oliver McCall

Rockin'
05-03-2006, 04:19 PM
He tried in the ring I am sure. He understands what conditioning means and brings to his game. I say we lighten up and let him learn. Lets see what he does with it.

GreatestIam
05-03-2006, 04:30 PM
He tried in the ring I am sure. He understands what conditioning means and brings to his game. I say we lighten up and let him learn. Lets see what he does with it.

AGREED........

Rockin'
05-03-2006, 04:49 PM
AGREED........

Did you see the poem I wrote about you in the lounge?

yrrej
05-03-2006, 09:17 PM
I think you need to train harder and quick smoking weed....

THE REAL NINJA
05-03-2006, 09:40 PM
yeah if you do it real real fast it's not bad for you :D :) :cool: