View Full Version : how do you like to feint?

Scottie2Hottie
05-02-2006, 10:34 AM
i dunno if im unique, but ive got favorite little moves that i like to use to bait guys.

ever since i watched joe frazier drop ali with this one, ive always liked ****ing my right hand back and then lunging forward with a left hook when he moves to avoid it.

what about you guys? any favorite tricks?

El Sniper
05-02-2006, 11:16 AM
I like to use a shoulder roll. If the guy throws a straight right, I can counter with a my own or throw a left hook. With the shoulder roll they really don't know which one of the two I will throw. I also like throwing a straight right which I don't plan on landing then landing a left hook to the body. If the straight lands it's a plus.

EXIGE
05-02-2006, 12:51 PM
In sparring once I feinted with a right, and then just threw a massive haymaker right cross. So it was like I hesitated with the punch, but I made sure I had the guys respect before I threw it. So when I feinted, he covered up and then BAM! Smash in the face. I thought he was gonna go down but he managed to stay up from that one. :cool:

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 12:57 PM
those fients will work against absolute beginners only. Experienced fighters will not fall for them.

Rockin' :boxing:

PunchDrunk
05-02-2006, 01:02 PM
I guess that makes Ali an absolute beginner! :D

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 02:41 PM
I guess that makes Ali an absolute beginner! :D
be more specific. What did ali always do that those guys talked about?

abdiel2k3
05-02-2006, 02:42 PM
when im close to a bed or couch
i hate fallin on the floor
**** hurts

6OVER6LORD6
05-02-2006, 02:49 PM
when im close to a bed or couch
i hate fallin on the floor
**** hurts

LOL, I was going to say away from a gang of horny leather clad bikers

hemichromis
05-02-2006, 03:22 PM
those fients will work against absolute beginners only. Experienced fighters will not fall for them.

that really isn't true most people experienced or not will fall for a good feint although they may defend it better wihtout leaving big holes in the guard or covering their face

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 03:24 PM
that really isn't true most people experienced or not will fall for a good feint although they may defend it better wihtout leaving big holes in the guard or covering their face

You just need to work with more experienced fighters. You'll see what Im talking about. The feints that they spoke of will get them killed.

Floydmayweather
05-02-2006, 03:59 PM

Not true at all a good feint well work on anyone.

El Sniper
05-02-2006, 04:39 PM
You just need to work with more experienced fighters. You'll see what Im talking about. The feints that they spoke of will get them killed.

I disagree. I've seen quite a few boxers use the shoulder roll effectively using those type of feints. Also, I've seen Cotto use the straight right followed by the left hook to the body. I have to admit that when I saw him use it against Branco, I got all exited as if I taught him that move. Lol!

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Not true at all a good feint well work on anyone.

Your telling me that a world class fighter will fall for the feints that they described. I think not man.

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 04:40 PM
I disagree. I've seen quite a few boxers use the shoulder roll effectively using those type of feints. Also, I've seen Cotto use the straight right followed by the left hook to the body. I have to admit that when I saw him use it against Branco, I got all exited as if I taught him that move. Lol!

A shoulder roll is not a feint, its a defensive move.

El Sniper
05-02-2006, 04:59 PM
A shoulder roll is not a feint, its a defensive move.

True but my point was that it can lead to a good feint such as a hook then a straight or the other way around.

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 05:00 PM
just about anything can lead to a good feint. I dont get your point.

El Sniper
05-02-2006, 05:09 PM
just about anything can lead to a good feint. I dont get your point.

Like I don't get when you say that none of these feints would work on an experienced fighter. Even good fighters get hit by a good feint. A shoulder roll seems more defensive than affensive so a fighter won't expect it. Anyway, I won't argue with you because you are the only pro boxer I've seen post here. I'm only an amateur. But tell us. What is a good feint that can be used against an experienced fighter?

armani_model
05-02-2006, 05:11 PM
I saw mayweather do this one...

U start poking out your left jab into their balls..and before you know it POW...a right straight into the mouth.

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Like I don't get when you say that none of these feints would work on an experienced fighter. Even good fighters get hit by a good feint. A shoulder roll seems more defensive than affensive so a fighter won't expect it. Anyway, I won't argue with you because you are the only pro boxer I've seen post here. I'm only an amateur. But tell us. What is a good feint that can be used against an experienced fighter?

A good feint is about proper mechanics and rythme. If you can get your opponent to believe that you are coming with something than you have what you need. Trust me, a good pro fighter will not fall for those feints described at the beginning of the thread. I cant teach how to feint by words alone. Its about quick headmovement and gestures with your shoulders and hands. You feint them more with your body then you do your fists.

El Sniper
05-02-2006, 05:29 PM
A good feint is about proper mechanics and rythme. If you can get your opponent to believe that you are coming with something than you have what you need. Trust me, a good pro fighter will not fall for those feints described at the beginning of the thread. I cant teach how to feint by words alone. Its about quick headmovement and gestures with your shoulders and hands. You feint them more with your body then you do your fists.

Well said.

Scottie2Hottie
05-02-2006, 05:44 PM

perhaps i should have said more in regards to how i like to feint.

in general, most boxers are looking to figure out your rhythm and exploit it. i would never **** back my right hand without realizing that im exposing my chin - knowing this, and possessing great reflexes, im ready to defend myself if he decides to attack rather than defend himself against the right hand he thinks im about to throw.

Konstantin
05-02-2006, 06:36 PM
Ussually I like to faint with padding on the floor. It seems to happen the most when I get hit with a good shot on the chin. Sometimes I even wake up with wet pants....

Can anyone help me out here?

LightsOut Le
05-02-2006, 07:57 PM
****...fients work for me...the peopl ei sparr i usually go the first round and just move a round a bit..i never throw feints the first round...then the second round they think im just gonna poke and poke and poke then i fient then i throw a good power punch...

so to me..i think you have to set a pace in order to get fients off...anyone agree??

Smokin'
05-03-2006, 01:19 AM
perhaps i should have said more in regards to how i like to feint.

in general, most boxers are looking to figure out your rhythm and exploit it. i would never **** back my right hand without realizing that im exposing my chin - knowing this, and possessing great reflexes, im ready to defend myself if he decides to attack rather than defend himself against the right hand he thinks im about to throw.
weren't you a fat kid? if so, you don't have good reflexes......lol

Verstyle
05-03-2006, 01:31 AM

how r my fients in the video. not suspecting and fast? jus a heads up my camera is alot slower then what i do in realtime. could u tell what i was going to do and could i get alot of ppl with it

Rockin'
05-03-2006, 01:41 AM
how r my fients in the video. not suspecting and fast? jus a heads up my camera is alot slower then what i do in realtime. could u tell what i was going to do and could i get alot of ppl with it

Your video is rather long and I dont have the time right now to look at it. Tomorrow, I promise to look at it and have an objective view for you man. Keep those fists movin'!!!!

Verstyle
05-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Your video is rather long and I dont have the time right now to look at it. Tomorrow, I promise to look at it and have an objective view for you man. Keep those fists movin'!!!!

alright thats cool

PunchDrunk
05-03-2006, 04:34 AM
be more specific. What did ali always do that those guys talked about?

Did you read the post that started this thread? :rolleyes:

Scottie2Hottie
05-03-2006, 10:40 AM
weren't you a fat kid? if so, you don't have good reflexes......lol

lol, i attribute my former obesity to many of my strengths as a boxer today. my back, core, and legs are wicked strong, and since i sat on my ass playing video games, my reflexes are sick.

only thing that sucks is since i lost so much weight so fast, i have loose skin, so i dont look cut at all, and even have flab in some spots.

fraidycat
05-03-2006, 11:09 AM
I came into boxing from fencing. Feints are a huge part of fencing. The best feint is the one that looks *exactly* like an attack. A twitch of the shoulder or a pump fake is not enough.

One of the ways my fencing coach would get us to feint convincingly was to have us actually start the attack, begin to engage, then "change our minds" at the last moment -- the idea being that YOU shouldn't even know if it's a feint or not when you begin the strike -- immediately starting a new attack once the opponent commits. It throws the opponent's rhythm off, and draws him into your first attack -- keep in mind that when you change attack vectors abruptly, you'll be open somewhere else; hopefully you've got him on the defensive at that point. (If your opponent doesn't go for the feint, you're halfway there already; finish the attack and get the point.)

My feints in boxing are effective b/c I employ the same attitude toward them that I did to my saber feints. A good feint takes courage and a poker face.

Scottie2Hottie
05-03-2006, 11:10 AM
I came into boxing from fencing. Feints are a huge part of fencing. The best feint is the one that looks *exactly* like an attack. A twitch of the shoulder or a pump fake is not enough.

One of the ways my fencing coach would get us to feint convincingly was to have us actually start the attack, begin to engage, then "change our minds" at the last moment -- the idea being that YOU shouldn't even know if it's a feint or not when you begin the strike -- immediately starting a new attack once the opponent committs. It throws the opponent's rhythm off, and draws him into your first attack -- keep in mind that when you change attack vectors abruptly, you'll be open somewhere else; hopefully you've got him on the defensive at that point.

My feints in boxing are effective b/c I employ the same attitude toward them that I did to my saber feints. A good feint takes courage and a poker face.

havent seen you around, welcome to the scene, dude. i feel like you could bring a nice, fresh perspective to the training boards with your experience.

fraidycat
05-03-2006, 11:19 AM
havent seen you around, welcome to the scene, dude. i feel like you could bring a nice, fresh perspective to the training boards with your experience.

Thanks. I'm brand-****ing new at boxing (3 months) but I used to bodybuild and if I may say, I fenced quite well. I've been on these boards for a few months lurking; I prefer to keep my mouth shut on forums unless I have first-hand experience, and my boxing experience ain't much. I'd imagine that the psychology of the feint transfers over between all sports.

Scottie2Hottie
05-03-2006, 11:22 AM
Thanks. I'm brand-****ing new at boxing (3 months) but I used to bodybuild and if I may say, I fenced quite well. I've been on these boards for a few months lurking; I prefer to keep my mouth shut on forums unless I have first-hand experience, and my boxing experience ain't much. I'd imagine that the psychology of the feint transfers over between all sports.

yeah, when i first came here, i barely posted. now i spam like a mother****er.

same boat as you though, ive been at it since august with the boxing, which came as an interest secondary to my kickboxing and then me lifting weights and losing fat.

yrrej
05-03-2006, 09:20 PM
The classic feint is hook off the jab....

LightsOut Le
05-04-2006, 01:43 AM

you been boxing for 3 months and you still think thats brand new??? im getting my first fight next month...

PunchDrunk
05-04-2006, 02:24 AM
you been boxing for 3 months and you still think thats brand new??? im getting my first fight next month...

3 months is definitely brand new. Do you realize how much there is to learn in boxing? I've been in boxing since 1986 and I still learn something new just about every day...

fraidycat
05-04-2006, 02:41 AM

Call me a slow learner. I'm not proud. I'm moving at a speed I'm comfortable with.

I fenced for two years before my first real competition (outside of sparring with my class and later, my college team.) Granted, I've been at the gym 3-4 days per week for these last 3 months (5 days a week the first month.) But yeah. I have a hell of a lot to learn. I wouldn't dare step into a fight, yet. I'm about 180-185 lbs.; the guys in my weight class hit really Goddamn hard -- torn cartilage, whiplash, & concussion hard. If I **** up, I could get injured, or worse, injure someone else. I'm not remotely good enough to accept that degree of responsibility, yet.

Keep in mind, I'm 35, I'm 20 lbs. overweight, and I am not -- NOT -- a natural athlete. I'm learning to box to get over a fear of getting hit. Not to compete, not to go pro. Just to learn how to keep my head in a scrap, to slip and counter the next time someone takes a shot at me, and to lose about 25 lbs. in the bargain. I may do a local exhibition fight next spring.

Your mileage may vary.

I'm envious of anyone who has the physical talent to feel ready to compete after three months. Me, I'm still scared ****less.

LightsOut Le
05-04-2006, 02:42 AM
oh sorry bout that....didnt know your specifications...

fraidycat
05-04-2006, 02:47 AM
No big deal. I envy you your talent and your faith in yourself. Give 'em hell.