View Full Version : Question about Stepping with the Jab

Peterp
05-01-2006, 07:42 PM
What's the correct way to step with the jab ?

Should you step first then jab so your feet moves first then the hand ?

Should you step and jab at the same time so your step and the jab happens at the same time ?

or should you step put lead with the hand so the hand hits before the step is completed ?

Rockin'
05-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Push off of your back foot and the step and punch at the same time. Foot lands when punch lands.

You dont always have to step with your jab. Sometimes just fling it out there with ultimate speed, some times step in. Its about mixing it up and showing your opponent different things so that he does not pick up on your rythme. Its about deception.

Rockin' :boxing:

moy22487
05-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Push off of your back foot and the step and punch at the same time. Foot lands when punch lands.

You dont always have to step with your jab. Sometimes just fling it out there with ultimate speed, some times step in. Its about mixing it up and showing your opponent different things so that he does not pick up on your rythme. Its about deception.

witch way do you recomend trowing it when you want to double.

mgkirkpatrick
05-01-2006, 10:50 PM
definitely no set rule. depends on range and other variables.

Rockin'
05-01-2006, 11:38 PM
witch way do you recomend trowing it when you want to double.
Same procedure with the step. Shoot it once and step with it again. Beginners always tend to forge their way forward, into firing range for themselves aswell as their opponents. Learn to move around your man, make the angles and then take advantage. Learn to work, instead of always forward, learn to work on a 45 degree angle. Moving both left and right with your motion and punches.

You want to fire a sharp jab that lands.... learn to feint!

Rockin'
05-01-2006, 11:43 PM
your correct with that statement. But you have to get them off and rolling so they can see the other variables in the ring. Goitta start 'em somewhere.

Verstyle
05-01-2006, 11:51 PM
im having problems with my jab also.my opponenets move to the side to much so if i throw a hard jab there out of the way usually

Scottie2Hottie
05-02-2006, 12:01 AM
im having problems with my jab also.my opponenets move to the side to much so if i throw a hard jab there out of the way usually

try leading with jabs to the body, pawing out the jab, feinting to the body then throwing it at the head, etc.

LightsOut Le
05-02-2006, 12:24 AM

maybe you just need to time when they move..if you can tell they move with a rythme throw a feint and pop a guick jab when you see where they land

exactly...usually i take a half step and pop the jab...it dependsa on the distnce and movement of the other guy. Fients work also...when someone is used to you stepping in with the jab, step fient then throw a real jab..insted of always stepping in and throwing

Verstyle
05-02-2006, 12:26 AM
try leading with jabs to the body, pawing out the jab, feinting to the body then throwing it at the head, etc.

thats what i do. but i have a ****in hard jab. dont mean to brag but i have a knockout jab. and i wanna use it and i cant :(

Verstyle
05-02-2006, 12:27 AM
[QUOTE=LightsOut Le]maybe you just need to time when they move..if you can tell they move with a rythme throw a feint and pop a guick jab when you see where they land

yeah i tend to do this . but i jus wish they would stay still and let me work off a combo off my jab :D there so mean
:mad:

Scottie2Hottie
05-02-2006, 12:29 AM
thats what i do. but i have a ****in hard jab. dont mean to brag but i have a knockout jab. and i wanna use it and i cant :(

i believe it man, ive seen the tapes.

this is reckless, but ive had success just using my jab like a battering ram. the guy has his guard up protecting his face, and i just try and jab right through it

Verstyle
05-02-2006, 12:33 AM
i believe it man, ive seen the tapes.

this is reckless, but ive had success just using my jab like a battering ram. the guy has his guard up protecting his face, and i just try and jab right through it

hell yeah thats how to do it. i tend to try things like that but the ****ers move to much. i mean i guess i like the feeling of them respecting my power but ****. thats why i like sparring ppl that have never seen me spar before.

Scottie2Hottie
05-02-2006, 12:35 AM
hell yeah thats how to do it. i tend to try things like that but the ****ers move to much. i mean i guess i like the feeling of them respecting my power but ****. thats why i like sparring ppl that have never seen me spar before.

your problem is that all your punches have a lot of power behind them, so guys just want to avoid you in general. from your videos it looks like youre getting the hang of stalking guys and cutting off the ring. once you can do that, theyll have nowhere to run. :cool:

Verstyle
05-02-2006, 12:43 AM
your problem is that all your punches have a lot of power behind them, so guys just want to avoid you in general. from your videos it looks like youre getting the hang of stalking guys and cutting off the ring. once you can do that, theyll have nowhere to run. :cool:

hey im glad some1 saw that. i've been watchin tyson videos to work on that.i hate runners i really do. now i hate clenchers i think i hurt him everytime he cleched,well thats what it seemed like when he was talkin to me. :confused: but yeah im glad u saw that im tryin to improve on certain departments like cuttin off the ring :)

Scottie2Hottie
05-02-2006, 12:47 AM
hey im glad some1 saw that. i've been watchin tyson videos to work on that.i hate runners i really do. now i hate clenchers i think i hurt him everytime he cleched,well thats what it seemed like when he was talkin to me. :confused: but yeah im glad u saw that im tryin to improve on certain departments like cuttin off the ring :)

i pay close attention to your vids since we're both little guys.

i know what you mean about runners though, sometimes i just wanna drop my hands, get out of my stance, and sprint after them trying to land a right hand, lol. bein short, the clinch is a big pain in the ass. ****er ties up your arms and just leans on you. makes you wanna toss him on the canvas.

Verstyle
05-02-2006, 12:53 AM
i pay close attention to your vids since we're both little guys.

i know what you mean about runners though, sometimes i just wanna drop my hands, get out of my stance, and sprint after them trying to land a right hand, lol. bein short, the clinch is a big pain in the ass. ****er ties up your arms and just leans on you. makes you wanna toss him on the canvas.

i've only had 1 other guy do that to me and it was demitry salita. the guy is sparred with today was my first time in the ring with him.and when he cliched i didnt know what the **** to do cause he had a tight grip and that never really happens to me :confused:

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 12:53 AM

Good advice. You dont start out just trying to hit him with a hard jab. Just hit him with it. Emphasize on the speed rather than the power. The quicker it is the more you will touch him.

The jab can be but is not needed so much for pure power. Use it quickly and set things up.

Verstyle
05-02-2006, 12:56 AM
Good advice. You dont start out just trying to hit him with a hard jab. Just hit him with it. Emphasize on the speed rather than the power. The quicker it is the more you will touch him.

The jab can be but is not needed so much for pure power. Use it quickly and set things up.

thats where im confused at, i havnt figured how i wanna use it yet. either a super fast jab then get in, a super hard jab to distract them and come in,or a pawing jab to get it in there face so they cant see then come in. im stuck on which 1 i want

Scottie2Hottie
05-02-2006, 12:58 AM
thats where im confused at, i havnt figured how i wanna use it yet. either a super fast jab then get in, a super hard jab to distract them and come in,or a pawing jab to get it in there face so they cant see then come in. im stuck on which 1 i want

you definitely want them all. sometimes i just wave my left hand at them, sometimes ill whip it out without even closing my fist so that it lands super fast, and sometimes i shove it into their face or body.

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 01:01 AM
If your trying to stalk like Tyson I have some advice. I saw you moving your head in the video and it was good. Your going to want to work that headmovement more condenced. Meaning your doing it faster and with sharper direction.

When your rolling in moving your head and such understand that every man has his comfort zone. Meaning that when you get a cerain distance from a man he is going to react and do something. Look him in his chest as you roll in, you will see everything that you need to see looking right there. You can get into his comfort zone and counter or you can get off first.

Being a pressure fighter is as noble a skill as there is to man. You will take their hearts, youll see it in their eyes once they become tired.

Good luck to you man.

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 01:04 AM

Touch him first. Fuc with him with it. He will grow slower as each minute rolls on. If your touching him when he is faster than you could certainly touch him with power when hes a bit slower.

Scottie2Hottie
05-02-2006, 01:07 AM
this board is poppin right now, and i love it.

Verstyle
05-02-2006, 01:11 AM
If your trying to stalk like Tyson I have some advice. I saw you moving your head in the video and it was good. Your going to want to work that headmovement more condenced. Meaning your doing it faster and with sharper direction.

When your rolling in moving your head and such understand that every man has his comfort zone. Meaning that when you get a cerain distance from a man he is going to react and do something. Look him in his chest as you roll in, you will see everything that you need to see looking right there. You can get into his comfort zone and counter or you can get off first.

Being a pressure fighter is as noble a skill as there is to man. You will take their hearts, youll see it in their eyes once they become tired.

Good luck to you man.

so roll and get low and jab to his chest. something like that

Verstyle
05-02-2006, 01:13 AM
Touch him first. Fuc with him with it. He will grow slower as each minute rolls on. If your touching him when he is faster than you could certainly touch him with power when hes a bit slower.

yeah thats true. never really tried that.i jus wanna throw out my power in my jab.i tend to swith southpaw alot so is it good to turn southpaw and throw the jab when he's going the other direction

hemichromis
05-02-2006, 02:15 AM
for the guys who are having problem landing a 'lead jolt' try to notice which way the opponent moves, alot of fighters get in the habit of evading shots the same way all you have to do is shoot it to where he is going to be

or you could feint a jab with just you shoulder and a little arm then pound him after he moves

El Sniper
05-02-2006, 04:34 AM
A set foot is important for getting a powerful jab in. In order to start a combo the jab should be in conjunction with your lead foot. I am guilty of hopping when I jab sometimes and it looks like I'm throwing it from my ankles. Not true. There is that mili-second when the lead foot is set and the jab comes out. I tend to reach sometimes, which is not good. I try to make on the spot corrections while sparring by feinting but usually I love throwing jabs that are just as powerful as a straight right. Many boxers say that it's not good but I have developed it to the point where I can get off combos or just throw the jab to the body or head and actually KO an opponent.

Rockin'
05-02-2006, 07:54 AM
so roll and get low and jab to his chest. something like that

Just find his comfort zone and get inside. it When he reacts slip or block and work off of it. Or you can get off first. Jab to his face, his body and use the feints man. Pull him in with a feint and then work off of that. With feints you will see an opening, everybody gives one if its a good feint.