View Full Version : Most unlazy fighter

6OVER6LORD6
05-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Personally, I'd have to go with frazier. No, not marvis ;) Who's your pick for someone who just kept coming and didn't know the meaning of the phrase too tired

blockhead
05-01-2006, 06:23 PM
james "lights out" toney

K-DOGG
05-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Easy....Henry Armstrong.

Modern Era...Zack Padilla

Smokin'
05-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Aaron Pryor.

Verstyle
05-01-2006, 06:37 PM
rocky marciano. THREAD CLOSED

blockhead
05-01-2006, 06:45 PM
carmen basilio and rocky marciano in a dead tie.
now the thread is closed.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-01-2006, 06:53 PM
Rocky Marciano

too the best of my knowledge was the only fighter who was ever trained and ready (for the most part) for a fight 365 days a year. He did slow down his training alittle on his off time. Example: Rather then run 10-12 miles a day leading up to the fight, on his off time he ran 5-6. But he was always in shape the only time he wasn't was after his fight with Carmine Vingo. While fighting Vingo, Marciano put vingo into a coma and between that fight and the next fight he had he only trained for about a week, besides that he was either in church or in the hospital checking on Vingo's condition

Vingo eventually came out of the coma though never fought again and his entire right side was paralyzed

Dempsey 1919
05-01-2006, 06:53 PM

i guess i'll have to agree on this one.

6OVER6LORD6
05-01-2006, 07:13 PM
easily john ruiz.......thread reopened and closed fast than a blonde on prom night

RockyMarcianofan00
05-01-2006, 07:26 PM
easily john ruiz.......thread reopened and closed fast than a blonde on prom night
you can't compare any training program to the the training programs of yesteryear. Nearly no fighters today work as hard as fighters from before the 80's (except for maybe early tyson). Some of the hardest working Fighters were the early Fighters who used to do boxing as a sidething while they worked at construction sites, or did circus acts (kid achilles talked about this in a prior thread), but the hardest working fighter ever had to be Rocky Marciano hands down

Rocky Marciano trained harder in his off time then most fighters today train going into a fight. So how can you say they work harder then him ?

Heckler
05-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Joe Frazier and Rocky Marciano. Joe Frazier applied more pressure and possibly had the higher workrate, Marciano never stopped throwing and prepared like no other man.

Brockton Lip
05-01-2006, 08:59 PM
True dat.
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Yaman
05-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Definitely Marciano.

But Tyson who followed the training of Kevin Rooney was crazy too. He worked harder than anyone in the game at that time(Even Holyfield.

THE REAL NINJA
05-02-2006, 11:25 AM
Butterbean the man can throw his weight around all day long

joeytrimble
05-02-2006, 12:33 PM
floyd mayweather jr is a hard trainer

Hous
05-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Marciano, does this even need to be asked / answered?

RockyMarcianofan00
05-02-2006, 06:17 PM
Definitely Marciano.

But Tyson who followed the training of Kevin Rooney was crazy too. He worked harder than anyone in the game at that time(Even Holyfield.
yea Tyson's up there with the older fighters

Rocky is the hardest training but in the 80's Tyson was asked why does he start running at 4 am and he said because nobody else does. That should kind of give you an idea of how hard he used to train

Dempsey 1919
05-02-2006, 06:56 PM
yea Tyson's up there with the older fighters

Rocky is the hardest training but in the 80's Tyson was asked why does he start running at 4 am and he said because nobody else does. That should kind of give you an idea of how hard he used to train

oh, i thought you meant in the ring. well, training wise it would be marciano and a close second would be ali.

K-DOGG
05-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Yeah. I'd said Henry Armstrong; but if we're talking training...got to go with the flow. Marciano was a maniac.

RockyMarcianofan00
05-02-2006, 07:19 PM
oh, i thought you meant in the ring. well, training wise it would be marciano and a close second would be ali.
i disagree i think ali maybe one of the laziest fighters because just going by what you say about him it seems like he never trained for his fights.
whehter he took them lightly or not you repeat your self saying he never trained for fights

Run
05-02-2006, 07:23 PM
i disagree i think ali maybe one of the laziest fighters because just going by what you say about him it seems like he never trained for his fights.
whehter he took them lightly or not you repeat your self saying he never trained for fights

Wtf?

Ali was notorious for being one of the hardest training fighters of all time.

Oh and my vote goes to Marvin Hagler hands down.

Dempsey 1919
05-02-2006, 07:25 PM

i didn't say he never trained for fights. ali's workouts were insane. especially when he first turned pro. he went on a strict regimen of calisthenics that gained him about 25lbs. of muscle in like 3 years. he ran about 7-10 miles per day. he was a dedicated worker.

Kid Achilles
05-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Ali ran 6 miles per day in his prime and significantly less during the 70's. I've never heard of him running 10 miles a day with any kind of regularity, where are you getting that from? Part of the reason he left Archie Moore was because Archie wanted him to do a lot of roadwork and he hated it and thought it was a waste of time. There's the whole "he didn't want to do chores" side to the story which works as an amusing anecdote but the short of it was that Ali wasn't disciplined enough to work well with Moore.

Ali was a hard, although inconsistent, worker, but never at any point was he one of the hardest workers in history IMO. I'll go with Jeffries, Dempsey, Marciano, and Frazier for that. Hagler is a good choice as well.

Dempsey 1919
05-02-2006, 07:46 PM
Ali ran 6 miles per day in his prime and significantly less during the 70's. I've never heard of him running 10 miles a day with any kind of regularity, where are you getting that from? Part of the reason he left Archie Moore was because Archie wanted him to do a lot of roadwork and he hated it and thought it was a waste of time. There's the whole "he didn't want to do chores" side to the story which works as an amusing anecdote but the short of it was that Ali wasn't disciplined enough to work well with Moore.

Ali was a hard, although inconsistent, worker, but never at any point was he one of the hardest workers in history IMO. I'll go with Jeffries, Dempsey, Marciano, and Frazier for that. Hagler is a good choice as well.

ali worked harder than frazier. frazier after FOTC was overweight in all his fights. ali was in great shape in a number of fights after his prime(quarry1, bonavena, foreman, frazier2, norton2, holmes)

RockyMarcianofan00
05-02-2006, 08:11 PM
ali worked harder than frazier. frazier after FOTC was overweight in all his fights. ali was in great shape in a number of fights after his prime(quarry1, bonavena, foreman, frazier2, norton2, holmes)
you always say how he didn't take people seriously and was out of shape

Stiv Rex
05-02-2006, 09:20 PM
yeah, and ali got outran by norman mailer, the writer, when he was training for the rumble in the jungle with foreman. if you look up a picture of mailer, he was almost a fat bastard, he certainly wasnt in any kind of shape.

for the "modern" era, how about hopkins? has he ever been an ounce over his target weight? you dont fight into your forties at the top of the game without 1, good genes, and 2, a ****load of hard work. the only other guy who i can think of that did it was archie moore.

Dempsey 1919
05-02-2006, 10:48 PM
yeah, and ali got outran by norman mailer, the writer, when he was training for the rumble in the jungle with foreman. if you look up a picture of mailer, he was almost a fat bastard, he certainly wasnt in any kind of shape.

for the "modern" era, how about hopkins? has he ever been an ounce over his target weight? you dont fight into your forties at the top of the game without 1, good genes, and 2, a ****load of hard work. the only other guy who i can think of that did it was archie moore.

i'm sure ali let him win. :rolleyes:

Dempsey 1919
05-02-2006, 10:48 PM
you always say how he didn't take people seriously and was out of shape

yeah, but when he did take people seriously, he was in great shape.

SuzieQ49
05-03-2006, 01:35 AM
the answer to this thread is henry armstrong

Verstyle
05-03-2006, 01:36 AM
the answer to this thread is henry armstrong

naw i think its rocky

Kid Achilles
05-03-2006, 02:55 AM
Henry Armstrong certainly seemed to have the most stamina, but if I recall correctly it was discovered that his heart was a third larger than the average human heart after he died. Although he trained very hard, his stamina was largely naturally.

By most accounts from trainers and guys who saw him go to work, Marciano trained harder than any of them. I've heard that he would duckwalk up 30 flights of stairs when staying at a hotel, and then come back down before going into the pool to tread water and practice his uppercuts. The duckwalking, which would completely exhaust most athletes, was just a warmup. Just incredible strength and endurance in his legs. His discipline carried over into his diet when he would often chew on a steak until he had sucked the juice out, and then he'd spit out the actual meat. He was absolutely fanatical about his weight and condition, almost obsessive about it.

And we're talking about a guy who could really put the food away when he wasn't in training. Marciano loved to eat, and had no great love for roadwork, but he was so disciplined and strong willed that he put himself through shaolin monk like preperation for his fights.

Marciano gets my pick, without question.

Rockin'
05-03-2006, 03:02 AM
The Kid has spoken, I say case closed.

Rockin' :boxing:

ricecrispi
05-03-2006, 04:47 AM
Wtf?

Ali was notorious for being one of the hardest training fighters of all time.

Oh and my vote goes to Marvin Hagler hands down.

Marciano and HAgler went to the same gym and the same family trained both of them

kjellho
05-03-2006, 06:41 AM
Don't forget, Rocky Balboa trained hard as hell before his fights. Remember the Drago bout? Running in the snow with bigass trees on his back and ****.. Other than that, I'll say Marciano.

Verstyle
05-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Henry Armstrong certainly seemed to have the most stamina, but if I recall correctly it was discovered that his heart was a third larger than the average human heart after he died. Although he trained very hard, his stamina was largely naturally.

By most accounts from trainers and guys who saw him go to work, Marciano trained harder than any of them. I've heard that he would duckwalk up 30 flights of stairs when staying at a hotel, and then come back down before going into the pool to tread water and practice his uppercuts. The duckwalking, which would completely exhaust most athletes, was just a warmup. Just incredible strength and endurance in his legs. His discipline carried over into his diet when he would often chew on a steak until he had sucked the juice out, and then he'd spit out the actual meat. He was absolutely fanatical about his weight and condition, almost obsessive about it.

And we're talking about a guy who could really put the food away when he wasn't in training. Marciano loved to eat, and had no great love for roadwork, but he was so disciplined and strong willed that he put himself through shaolin monk like preperation for his fights.

arnt u talkin bout archie moore

Marciano gets my pick, without question.
:rolleyes:

SuzieQ49
05-03-2006, 09:24 AM
marciano was so obsessed with with his body that he did some freakish things.

marciano's brother said he used to see rocky sitting in front of a lamp for a couple hours following the knob moving back and forth with his eyes. rocky did this because he thought it would help strengthen his eyes!

SCARY!

Heckler
05-03-2006, 09:57 AM

Pre layoff Ali trained very hard and following his layoff he trained very hard for Frazier rematches and Norton... probably trained hardest for Foreman in Zaire. However, against who he percieved as lesser opponents he slacked off, example being the jimmy young fight. The second hardest training fighter of all time?... thats pushing it.

Kid Achilles
05-03-2006, 12:56 PM
SuzieQ, do you have any other Marciano training stories from his brother?