View Full Version : Knockout King Young Stribling

THE REAL NINJA
04-28-2006, 12:23 PM
Born 12-26-1904 Young Stribling knocked out 125 opponents only Archie Moore can claim more .Stribling's mother said she wanted a boxer and started to roll him on the bed like a lump of dough as a baby .At the age of two she started him on leg and arm exercises which may have been the begining of his freakish power.A bantamweight at age sixteen, Stribling added bulk steadily.He fought sucssfully as a middleweight then in 1923 was matched with lightheavyweight champion Mike McTigue in a non-title bout.Their first fight was a draw but in the rematch Stribling knocked McTigue down in the tenth round. Unlucky Stribling was only given a "newspaper win" because New Jersey only counted a knockout as a win.Stribling beat hall of famer Tommy Loughran twise in 1924, and was a rated second at light heavyweight that year. He would remain in the top ten at either light heavy or heavyweight untill 1931 and was the top heavy in 1928 . In 1926 he met Paul Berlenbach for the lightheavy crown but was over trained and tired fast, he lost by 15. Stribling had a problem with following up when he had his man hurt which showed when he had Jack Sharkey hurt and on the run,Jack would go on to win the fight . Jim Corbett said he was the best feinter he had ever saw with his "buckshot" punch a right to the jaw following a right-left fieint.Stribling had one more title shot in 1931 fighting Max Schmeling . Stribling was hurt by ten and was knocked out in fifteen with only 14 seconds left in the fight,Stribling again claimed to have over trained.Stribling's last fight was a win over Maxie Rosenbloom in 1933.In October of that year ,he was hit by a car while riding his motorcycle home from a round of golf.He died in the hospital 2 days later .10-2-1933 Young Stribling was right-handed 5'11 1/2 172lbs he was from Bainbridge,CA known as the KING OF THE CANEBRAKES. [WON 221] [LOST 12] [DRAW 14] [TB 285] [KO's 125] [W 93] [WF 3] [KO'D 1] [L 9] [LF 2] [ND 36] [NC 2] ,,,hall of fame induction 1996.. time fought 1/17/1921-9/22/1933 http://www.ringmemorabilia.com/youngstrib_small.jpghttp://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=12052

Imira
04-28-2006, 12:27 PM
Great post! It's nice to see some appreciation for such a great fighter.

RAESAAD
04-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Damn impressive career......I had never heard of the guy.It is nice to learn something new everyday. :boxing:

Kid Achilles
04-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Stribling was a very good fighter and it's a shame his life was cut short so early.

THE REAL NINJA
04-28-2006, 12:47 PM
Stribling was a very good fighter and it's a shame his life was cut short so early.
yeah 285 fights in only 12 years of fighting :eek: that's somewhere around 23 fights a year

Yogi
04-28-2006, 12:50 PM
I have about a ten minute clip of Stribling's fight with Schmeling, so if anybody wants it I'll gladly upload it for you(s)...Just say the word.

supaduck
04-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Well he has a ton of knockouts, but not a high knockout percentage, so he wasn't THAT powerful...

THE REAL NINJA
04-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Well he has a ton of knockouts, but not a high knockout percentage, so he wasn't THAT powerful...
he had a problem with finishing he didnnt want to kill people in there..lots of fighters have had the same problem late. [max bear] is one of the hardest hitters ever but had the same thing

Kid Achilles
04-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Knockout % is just a general indication of power and is often deceptive. There were hard hitters with modest KO percentages like Dick Tiger and guys with awesome KO %'s who weren't big punchers like Vitali Klitschko.

Also Yogi, I'd love to see that clip.

Yogi
04-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Also Yogi, I'd love to see that clip.

No problem, Kid...I'm in the midst of heading out the door for a little while, but give me an hour or two and I'll shoot you a PM with that clip included in it.

Hous
04-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Why I have I never heard of this guy? Hes is absolutly amazing, 285 fights in 12 years with only 12 loses, are you kidding me?

Just by chance he should have lost more.

Good K coming your way!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to darrenshyrockford again.

Ill get you later.

THE REAL NINJA
04-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Why I have I never heard of this guy? Hes is absolutly amazing, 285 fights in 12 years with only 12 loses, are you kidding me?

Just by chance he should have lost more.

Good K coming your way!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to darrenshyrockford again.

Ill get you later.
well here i just found this on him ...."Though he never held a championship title during his career in the 1920s and 1930s, Bro. William L. Stribling, 32, defeated champions and elevated the sport of boxing in America.

At the time of his death at age 28 in 1933, few athletes were more universally loved and admired than Bro. William Lawrence Stribling, Jr., 32, Valley of Macon, Georgia. Known during his 12-year professional boxing career as "Young" Stribling to distinguish him from "Pa" Stribling, his father and manager, the young man embodied clean living and good sportsmanship. To this day, he still serves as a role model for all athletes.

"Strib" fought a total of 286 recorded bouts, losing only 12. He was knocked out only once, and it was a technical KO during the final round with Germany's Max Schmeling in 1931. He set records, too, including most fights by a heavyweight, most fights by a heavyweight in a single year (he fought 55), most knockouts by a heavyweight (127), and fewest times knocked out. Champion boxer Jim Corbett called him "the best heavyweight fighter for his pounds that ever lived."http://www.srmason-sj.org/council/journal/feb00/bryant.html

LondonRingRules
04-28-2006, 03:34 PM
No problem, Kid...I'm in the midst of heading out the door for a little while, but give me an hour or two and I'll shoot you a PM with that clip included in it.

Hey, me too por favor. A single clip ain't good enough to evaluate a whole career, but a single clip of Young Stripling is a rare thing to be savored nonetheless.

Yogi
04-28-2006, 04:30 PM
Hey, me too por favor. A single clip ain't good enough to evaluate a whole career, but a single clip of Young Stripling is a rare thing to be savored nonetheless.

LRR, I'm just waiting for the link to be sent to my e-mail address and have been for a little while yet. If it takes too much longer I'll simply upload the clip again (it's a small clip, so...) and pass it along to you via PM.

THE REAL NINJA
04-28-2006, 04:31 PM
LRR, I'm just waiting for the link to be sent to my e-mail address and have been for a little while yet. If it takes too much longer I'll simply upload the clip again (it's a small clip, so...) and pass it along to you via PM.
if it is good Q i would love to see it also

Yogi
04-28-2006, 04:43 PM
if it is good Q i would love to see it also

The video is sped up quite a bit, Darrren, but if you want to see it I can absolutely pass it along to you.

THE REAL NINJA
04-28-2006, 04:55 PM
The video is sped up quite a bit, Darrren, but if you want to see it I can absolutely pass it along to you.
ok sure id love to check it out

Yogi
04-28-2006, 05:08 PM
LRR, your PM option is disabled, and Darren, your PM box is full, so I'm just going to put the link here with hopes that you two get it;

http://download.yousendit.com/1F9E921F40CA734F

THE REAL NINJA
04-28-2006, 05:25 PM
LRR, your PM option is disabled, and Darren, your PM box is full, so I'm just going to put the link here with hopes that you two get it;

http://download.yousendit.com/1F9E921F40CA734F
lol duh i was wondering what was taking people so long to get back to me ...all fixed now...thanks :)

THE REAL NINJA
04-28-2006, 05:49 PM
great shot by Max, Strib was out.thanks again yogi :)

LondonRingRules
04-28-2006, 07:59 PM
You can see how Stribling got all those KOs. He was very agressive though he neglected his defense. It was hard to keep the two fighters apart in that dim lighting and like type trunks, but Schmeling was a tad bigger so I figured it out and it made sense at the end. Schmeling looked in great shape running back to his corner.

Thanks a bunch Yogi.

SABBATH
04-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Stribling carried his left hand very low and had both hands low later in the fight. His defence looked pourous and he clinched alot. His right hand looked to be his best punch. I could tell the difference just by the two guys styles with Schmeling being tighter defensively and throwing the more economical punches. A pretty definitive KO as well.

Good stuff Yogi. How about some Sam Langford for us? Gotta love those guys from Nova Scotia and still no word on the Chuvalo-Shavers non-fight... ;)

Yogi
04-28-2006, 10:29 PM
What. The. ****? :eek:

Yogi
04-28-2006, 10:30 PM
No problem on the clip, Darren & LRR.

Kid Achilles
04-28-2006, 11:12 PM
I am only getting audio (those loveable Korean commentators) regardless of what player I use. I had this very same problem with a Carnera-Godfrey fight. Perhaps I need to update Windows Media?

THE REAL NINJA
04-28-2006, 11:25 PM
I am only getting audio (those loveable Korean commentators) regardless of what player I use. I had this very same problem with a Carnera-Godfrey fight. Perhaps I need to update Windows Media?
yup at first it came up on a music player i have. i had to close it then open up some other ish i use for it to play