View Full Version : What kind of diet...

04-26-2006, 09:06 PM
will help your brain. Such as helping you stay focused, and things of that nature. Maybe even help with depression.

boxer2k5
04-26-2006, 10:46 PM
lmao lmao :rolleyes:

04-26-2006, 10:53 PM
What was funny about that.

boxer2k5
04-26-2006, 10:59 PM
man jsut eat right and you will be fine

you eat bad u gonna feel bad

THE REAL NINJA
04-26-2006, 11:02 PM
thats true just eat food that is good 4 you 1st of all........How To Beat Depression and Boost Your Mood With Foods

While many doctors reactively prescribe antidepressants to treat patients suffering from depression, it is important that you understand that there are more effective natural food alternatives.

Through rat experiments, scientists discovered both omega-3 fatty acids and uridine (a natural substance found in foods) work just as well as antidepressants in preventing signs of depression. To draw this conclusion, scientists:

Placed rats in a tank of water where they had no choice but to swim.

As time passed, the rats realized swimming was useless and began to float -- a sign of surrender to depression. Yet when given an antidepressant drug, the rats resumed swimming.

When the rats were given combined doses of omega-3 fatty acids and uridine instead of antidepressants, similar behavior occurred -- lending evidence these natural components are equally effective as drugs.

Drugs and dietary components responsible for the reversed signs of depression most likely affect mitochondria (which produce energy) in brain cells.

Finding Omega-3 and Uridine

Omega-3 fatty acids are found in fish, and most abundantly in oily species like salmon and tuna. It is highly recommended to eat a diet rich in oily fish, as omega-3 fatty acids are also good for the circulatory system -- what is good for the heart is good for the brain. Additionally, uridine is an important element found in mother's milk and baby formula and is essential for early nerve growth.

Biological Psychiatry February 15, 2005;57(4):343-350

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Mercola's Comment:

This study is merely one of many recent studies that have demonstrated the beneficial value of omega-3 fats in treating depression.

As the article states, the best type of omega-3 fats are those found in fish. This is because the omega-3 in fish is high in two animal based omega-3 fats that are crucial to human health: DHA and EPA. Unfortunately though, eating most fresh fish, whether from the ocean, lakes and streams, or farm-raised, is no longer recommended. Why? Because mercury levels in almost all fish have now hit dangerously high levels across the world, and the risk of this mercury to your health now outweighs the fish's omega-3 benefits.

However, because fish would otherwise be immensely healthy, I have been searching for a safe source of fish -- and finally discovered one: The Vital Choice Alaskan Wild Red Salmon offered on this site is the one source of salmon or any fish that I found to be, via independent lab testing, safe from mercury and other toxins. Also, the Vital Choice salmon is loaded with beneficial omega-3s and tastes absolutely delicious!

Fish or Cod Liver Oil to Improve Mental (and Physical) Health

Routine consumption of fish or cod liver oil is another highly recommended method of increasing your omega-3 intake and improving your mental and physical health. However, if you are going to achieve the amazing health benefits of omega-3 fats it is important that you find a high-quality source. So, how do you know which fish liver oil is best for you? Here are three quick tests:

Make sure your brand is free of mercury and PCBs. This will not be on the label so you will need to:

Contact the manufacturer for their analysis

Review an independent third party that has analyzed the product

Hire a company to test the product yourself

Confirm there are very low oxidation products in the fish or cod liver oil.

It is important to understand fish oil or cod liver oil has long-chain unsaturated fats (primarily EPA and DHA) and they are very susceptible to oxidation or damage. If the oil is not processed properly damage will occur. Many years ago nearly all the fish oils were oxidized. That is why when you mention fish or cod liver oil to most anyone they turn up their nose in disgust. Typically, they only taste bad when they are oxidized.

Make certain your fish or cod liver oil has therapeutic levels of vitamin E in it.

Nearly all manufacturers insert a small amount of one unit per teaspoon. This is sufficient to prevent oxidation of the fish oil in the bottle. However, after you consume it this is woefully inadequate. Your body will tend to oxidize the fish oil and much larger doses of vitamin E are needed to prevent the oil from going rancid in your body.

04-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Just so you guys don't get the wrong imression, I don't have a problem with depression but when I do get depressed it sucks. It never happens though. It's the focus thing I have a problem with. I was wanting to start school again and I have always battled paying attention. I got a wondering mind. I appreciate the input you guys have put up already.

LightsOut Le
04-27-2006, 01:34 AM
haha if there are foods that would help my reaction time...i would be ****en downing it right now....

only thing you can eat that will change your mind or anything is supplements i guess....

eat right, train hard

THE REAL NINJA
04-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Just so you guys don't get the wrong imression, I don't have a problem with depression but when I do get depressed it sucks. It never happens though. It's the focus thing I have a problem with. I was wanting to start school again and I have always battled paying attention. I got a wondering mind. I appreciate the input you guys have put up already.
from what i've read one meal of fish a week can do both help depression and focus also it can slow down alzheimer disease. Just eat right and take vitamins exp C and you will be fine ..if it is part depression talk to a doctor they have free places you can go

pug1986
04-27-2006, 02:52 PM
I think just find a good therapist and that will help you alot. I'll admit I went through therapy a while back and it helps everything

FeelTheA-Force
04-27-2006, 03:11 PM
man jsut eat right and you will be fine

you eat bad u gonna feel bad

are the golden gloves equivelent to the national ABA's in the UK ??????

i remember you were gonna do so tornament.,

EXIGE
04-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Well bro, I didnt read what Darren said, but apparently fish is good for what you are looking for...

Physical exercise will help your concentration also. Its proven that those who are more physically fit are able to last longer at concentrating.

Go back to basics. Meat, vegetables. Cant go wrong.

LoftyDog
04-27-2006, 03:42 PM
Just stay away from farm raised salmon, that ****s bad for you. Stick with the wild caught, its probably more expensive though.

rocco1252
04-27-2006, 05:21 PM
lmao lmao :rolleyes:

Hey man whats going on, havent talked to you in ages kid hows the boxing going for ya? I think the last time we spoke you had finally schooled the best fighter in your gym during sparring since then I havent seen ya around? Whats new how's the record holding up?

yrrej
04-28-2006, 11:58 PM
Don't eat too many carbs, e.g. sugar and starch. It will mess with your blood sugar, which will bounce you up and down depression-wise.