View Full Version : Top 5 defensive hw's of all time!

Dempsey 1919
04-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Here's my list.

1. Joe Louis
2. Jack Johnson
3. Mike Tyson
4. Larry Holmes
5. Muhammad Ali

What's your list? :)

RockyMarcianofan00
04-25-2006, 03:30 PM
Here's my list.

1. Joe Louis
2. Jack Johnson
3. Mike Tyson
4. Larry Holmes
5. Muhammad Ali

ok now your just being wierd
Muhammad Ali must have had bad defense
i didn't notice this until angelo dundee said it

he never blocked,parried, the only defense that he had was head movement and footwork, later in his career he rope-a-dope'd people but that was just bending in on the ropes and take punches which i'll say he did well against foreman

Defensive wise the only real thing he had was a good offense by keeping people away with speed and his reach and footwork

why isn't Dempsey or Marciano on that list too

Dempsey Role? Remember

My vote goes to good old joe louis :boxing:

Dempsey 1919
04-25-2006, 03:50 PM
ok now your just being wierd
Muhammad Ali must have had bad defense
i didn't notice this until angelo dundee said it

he never blocked,parried, the only defense that he had was head movement and footwork, later in his career he rope-a-dope'd people but that was just bending in on the ropes and take punches which i'll say he did well against foreman

Defensive wise the only real thing he had was a good offense by keeping people away with speed and his reach and footwork

why isn't Dempsey or Marciano on that list too

Dempsey Role? Remember

My vote goes to good old joe louis :boxing:

ali knew how to avoid punches well and to command the ring. that's good enough for me.

RockyMarcianofan00
04-25-2006, 04:05 PM
ali knew how to avoid punches well and to command the ring. that's good enough for me.
he knew how to move his head and dance i'm just saying "defensively" he came up short, not that he couldn't, he didn't

K-DOGG
04-25-2006, 05:13 PM
For What It's worth....

1. Jack Johnson
2. Joe Louis
3. James J. Corbett
4. Gene Tunney
5. Ezzard Charles
6. Larry Holmes
7. Max Schmeling
8. Muhammad Ali
9. Mike Tyson
10. Lennox Lewis

It could be argued that Ali belongs below Tyson because Muhammad relied mostly on his reflexes instead of defensive skills; but the man was never stopped except for the Holmes fight, so he musta been doin something right.

Past m' Prime
04-25-2006, 08:50 PM
For many of these fighters their defense was their offense. If you go by times stopped.
Jack Johnson 5
Joe Lewis 2
Ali 1
Tyson 3
Holmes 1
Jack Dempsey 0
Schmeling 5
Lennox Lewis 2
Ezzard Charles 7
James Toney 0
Gene Tunney 0

I don't guarantee 100% accuracy but they are close.
Draw your own conclusions.

Dempsey 1919
04-25-2006, 08:54 PM
For many of these fighters their defense was their offense. If you go by times stopped.
Jack Johnson 5
Joe Lewis 2
Ali 1
Tyson 3
Holmes 1
Jack Dempsey 0
Schmeling 5
Lennox Lewis 2
Ezzard Charles 7
James Toney 0
Gene Tunney 0

I don't guarantee 100% accuracy but they are close.
Draw your own conclusions.

tyson was stopped 5 times, and dempsey was ko'd once.

Verstyle
04-25-2006, 09:17 PM
tyson prided himself with his defense

Verstyle
04-25-2006, 09:18 PM
tyson was stopped 5 times, and dempsey was ko'd once.

tyson was stopped five times??? i know u dont mean k.o
:rolleyes:

Brassangel
04-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Ali was only stopped in the Holmes fight, but that wasn't because of his defense; the man could roll with punches and had an incredible chin. He had a level of physical fitness that gave him a remarkable recovery rate. Even Fight Night 3 for the 360 gives him the highest chin among heavyweights in the game.

Jack Johnson
Joe Louis
Gene Tunney
Mike Tyson
James Corbett
James Toney
Lennox Lewis
Ezzard Charles

In no particular order. Their defensive styles were different from one another, and varied based upon certain points of their careers. As technical boxers, Louis and Johnson had excellent defensive skills, while Mike Tyson was such a fireball that he was darn near impossible to hit. Different styles include different defenses. Great thread!

RockyMarcianofan00
04-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Ali was only stopped in the Holmes fight, but that wasn't because of his defense; the man could roll with punches and had an incredible chin. He had a level of physical fitness that gave him a remarkable recovery rate. Even Fight Night 3 for the 360 gives him the highest chin among heavyweights in the game.

Jack Johnson
Joe Louis
Gene Tunney
Mike Tyson
James Corbett
James Toney
Lennox Lewis
Ezzard Charles

In no particular order. Their defensive styles were different from one another, and varied based upon certain points of their careers. As technical boxers, Louis and Johnson had excellent defensive skills, while Mike Tyson was such a fireball that he was darn near impossible to hit. Different styles include different defenses. Great thread!

there's somethings in that game that i can't take seriously though

Ali having 82 power, now way was he up there with Liston, and Frazier in power---Frazier is the strongest 97 :D

Marciano wasn't in the game :(

they gave many players in the game better speed then ali which is where i though ali would be in the 90's

least they got Jake Lamatta's stats right

Da Iceman
04-25-2006, 09:53 PM
i voted for louis, but i will have to say toney. i know your thinking somethings wrong with me but hear me out. Toney's whole offense depends on his defense. He rolls his shoulder to move from your punches then he counters. if he didnt have the shoulder roll he wouldnt have his offense.

Past m' Prime
04-25-2006, 10:15 PM
You are correct. Forgot about the Flynn loss by Dempsey, and just relied on bad memory for Tyson. Sorry.

Kid Achilles
04-25-2006, 10:27 PM
The Fight Night series has some of the worst ratings EVER. Jake LaMotta has 100 power and a less than perfect chin score. That's all you need to know about how accurate that game is.

RockyMarcianofan00
04-25-2006, 10:52 PM
The Fight Night series has some of the worst ratings EVER. Jake LaMotta has 100 power and a less than perfect chin score. That's all you need to know about how accurate that game is.
Fight night round 3 has Jake Lamatta's power at like 85 and his chin in the 80's and 90's which i agree with because he had a hella punch and his chin was like steel

Da Iceman
04-25-2006, 10:52 PM
i cant believe in round 2 they had byrd the same handspeed as ali.

Heckler
04-26-2006, 07:46 AM
Fight night round 3 has Jake Lamatta's power at like 85 and his chin in the 80's and 90's which i agree with because he had a hella punch and his chin was like steel

Out of curiosity, are you italian?

Yaman
04-26-2006, 10:24 AM
When Tyson perfected Cus Damato's style his defence was the best i've ever seen. Rooney and Tyson were always working on the peek a boo style and it worked for his first 35 fights. How many times did he really get nailed? I mean realy nailed? I can only think of Bonecrusher Smith who rocked him in the end of the fight. And maybe Tucker.

Southpaw Stinger
04-26-2006, 12:20 PM

Jake Lamotta was never a powerful hitter. He threw a lot of punchers but only managed 30ko's in well over 100 fights. He had a head made out of concrete though!

Kid Achilles
04-26-2006, 12:42 PM
He was a hard puncher but not a knockout puncher. I would give him a power rating of 80 or so. His chin was 100. Any lower than 100 is an insult.

Azteca
04-26-2006, 06:48 PM
joe louis - no way is he a top 5 defensive heavy. we all saw the way schmeling exploited his right hand placement in the first fight.

imo, jack johnson had the best defense especially at a primitive time in boxing.

Dempsey 1919
04-26-2006, 06:56 PM
joe louis - no way is he a top 5 defensive heavy. we all saw the way schmeling exploited his right hand placement in the first fight.

imo, jack johnson had the best defense especially at a primitive time in boxing.

joe louis' defense was waaaaay better than johnson's. johnson's opponents weren't as skilled or evolved as louis' opponents.

RockyMarcianofan00
04-26-2006, 07:13 PM
joe louis' defense was waaaaay better than johnson's. johnson's opponents weren't as skilled or evolved as louis' opponents.
Finally Butterfly lays down some truth

good job
Louis is the greatest all around fighter ever IMO (in the hw division anyway)

Azteca
04-26-2006, 07:14 PM
i have joe louis as my top heavy but i don't think he was anywhere near jack johnson's defence. johnson had every trick in the book, unlike louis who relied on his jab and inside hooks/uppercuts to paralyze his opponents. he was great at punching without leaving himself open, but often had trouble with opponents who employed the crouch, and standoff-ish fighters who used lateral movement and made louis come to them.

johnson was also the first fighter (i have seen) who employed the shoulder roll, and the way he would step into range dip and tuck and slip the punch was absolutely phenomenal. for his size, his defence was outstanding - perhaps one of the best, if not, THE best.

Da Iceman
04-26-2006, 07:33 PM
i have joe louis as my top heavy but i don't think he was anywhere near jack johnson's defence. johnson had every trick in the book, unlike louis who relied on his jab and inside hooks/uppercuts to paralyze his opponents. he was great at punching without leaving himself open, but often had trouble with opponents who employed the crouch, and standoff-ish fighters who used lateral movement and made louis come to them.

johnson was also the first fighter (i have seen) who employed the shoulder roll, and the way he would step into range dip and tuck and slip the punch was absolutely phenomenal. for his size, his defence was outstanding - perhaps one of the best, if not, THE best.
ive never seen johnson do the shoulder roll. which fight was this?

Azteca
04-26-2006, 09:45 PM
johnson used the old method of fighting. hands in front of you in the counterpunch position so you would be able to last over 30 rounds. many fighters have also used the shoulder roll but have not been known to do so. jake lamotta is a prime example.

i have seen the shoulder roll used in the ketchel - johnson bout in brief moments.

Brassangel
04-26-2006, 10:16 PM
I wasn't stating that everything in the game was accurate; it's simulation, and currently, the best one out there visually, and for the experience. If someone points me to a rediculous, third party boxing sim, they're just being blind to the obvious. Even so, while the game carries many flaws, Ali's chin is rated about where it should be; which is all I was saying. Also, Ali's speed is not crazy high because setting a heavyweight to 90+ speed in that game is absurd. Have you played with a "make your own champ" with a high speed rating? It's not even fair. In fact, it makes the fighter nigh unbeatable, which Ali was not. Even so, use Ali a few times against the other fighters, and use him in his style: dancing, switching directions, leaning, etc. He's smooth, and his jab gets in quicker than any of the others. The only one who even comes close to jab speed (at least in the 360 version) is Roy Jones. For those who have seen the results, Roy Jones actually clocked quicker handspeed at age 35 and blown up to heavyweight than Ali did at any age. Despite those facts, Ali was still a quicker fighter, given his overall fluidity and style, as well as timing.

Oh yeah, my defensive fighter choices haven't changed.

tommyhearns804
04-27-2006, 05:16 AM
Number 1 if Ali had great d he wouldn't be walking around today with brain damage.2 If Tyson had d he wouldn't of been knocked out 5 times.3 When did James Toney become a heavyweight?I could of sworn he was a blown up middleweight who fought a few cruiserweight bums and a couple of past their prime heavyweights 4 Who did Joe Louis really fight?Nobody that is who is fought..Fighting bums for your whole career doesn't prove jack.. 5 Larry Holmes really didnt fight many people either..He had a good d-fense but he never really faced that many other greats in their prime to prove he would avoid them.. 6 Ezzard Charles was a small Cruiserweight so he is off the list.7 Jack Johnson was also a cruiserweight and even at that boxing was alot different back then.Not many fighters went all out with their attacks.Most fighters up untill Dempsey threw one punch at a time and then grabbed so Johnson is off the list.
So guess what heavyweight who was actually a heavyweight had a great d-fense?None In general heavyweights are the most unskilled boxers compare to smaller weight classes..But if you are going to go with what heavyweights were hit the least times in their primes then the answer would be Foreman and Lewis but as i said neither had a really great defense they just used their offense to overwelm who they were fighting..
By the way Jake Lamotta didn't have much power at all.As figured the moron Kid Achillies would post something stupid.If you have 100 wins and 30's ko's that means you can't punch period.I don't give a fuk who you are.And Lamotta didn't really fight to many guys who could punch to began with..He fought alot of bums in his career.So saying his chin is a 100 shows you know nothing about boxing.If Lamotta was figting the Roy Jones,The G-Mans,and any other of the vicious punchers from the 80's up to today and showed he could handle their punches then his chin would be a 100
The only fighters who should have a 100 chin would be David Tua who was never hurt or knocked down as a pro, or Hagler.Not even Chuvalo deserves to be that high.He wasn't knocked down but he was out on his feet alot.Foreman had a great chin but was still knocked down..so their chins should be in the 90's.Lamotta at best should be in the 70's for chin and 30's in power.

Imira
04-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Definitely Ezzard Charles, in my opinion. He used subtle movement and feints to disrupt his opponents timing and counterpunch. He would lean back in a snake-like motion and force his opponents off balance. He seemed to know every defensive trick in the book, which allowed him to remain as successful at heavyweight until his 80+ fight career began catching up with him.

Dempsey 1919
11-04-2006, 05:25 PM
bump......

The Raging Bull
11-04-2006, 07:12 PM
My top 5 best defensive heavyweights ever are (in no particular order):

Jack Johnson
Ezzard Charles
Joe Louis
Larry Holmes
James Corbett

Kid Achilles
11-04-2006, 08:02 PM
Most of these options are not even what I'd call defensive boxers. Gene Tunney, Tommy Loughran, Muhammad Ali, Tommy Gibbons were all guys who had a defensive phislosphy towards fighting. Tyson had an effective defense but he was still an aggressive fighter, not a defensive one. Same for Joe Louis.

Southpaw Stinger
11-04-2006, 08:48 PM
don't know whether I've responded to this before or not but my pick is Jack Johnson.

Dude
11-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Gene Tunney was a defensive wizard. He had possessed great speed and unmatched ring intelligence. He never was a real heavyweight but in his bouts against Dempsey he was the first man who had found an answer to Jacks aggressive and at this time innovative style. Tunney was never knocked out (he only lost once anyway).

He saw punches coming very early. Tunney made boxing chess, planing ahead and finding resolutions for problems before they occured.

I think he was the best defensive HW champion of All-Time.

Mr. Ryan
11-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Defensive?

Muhammad Ali
Larry Holmes
Ezzard Charles
Jersey Joe Walcott
i CAN'T THink of a fifth

BrooklynBomber
11-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Tyson was very defensive and countered really well when he was under D'Amoto.

Derranged
11-05-2006, 04:04 PM
What about prime Chirs Byrd???

Kid Achilles
11-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Tyson had a great defense but was not a defensive fighter. His defense served to make openenings for him to land a KO punch or combination of punches. To me a defensive fighter is someone who's entire gameplan is centered on outboxing an opponent and winning rounds.

j
11-05-2006, 09:19 PM
jack johnson should be a garaunteed top spot in this catagory. he was known for having the best defence in his time.

of the last 10 years, i will go with vitali klitschko. after all, what other heavy was known for seeing punches before they were thrown?

RockyMarcianofan00
11-06-2006, 08:18 AM
1. Joe Louis
2.Mike Tyson
3.Jack Dempsey
4.Jack Johnson

Holmes and Ali are in the same boat as far as I'm concerned...Neither really used much defense, it was more using their speed tactically to keep opponents at bay....Like I said earlier its not that they couldn't be defensive its that they didn't...

RockyMarcianofan00
11-06-2006, 08:22 AM
jack johnson should be a garaunteed top spot in this catagory. he was known for having the best defence in his time.

of the last 10 years, i will go with vitali klitschko. after all, what other heavy was known for seeing punches before they were thrown?

He was a chess player, chess players have to think after the next move...not that a chess player can accurately guess what punch is next...

M26
11-06-2006, 03:44 PM
1. Jack Johnson
2. Gene Tunney
3. Larry Holmes
4. Muhammad Ali
5. Jersey Joe Walcott

GunStar
11-07-2006, 03:42 AM
Most heavyweights in history have not really impressed me with their D, that is why James Toney is in a class by himself when it comes to D.

Verstyle
11-07-2006, 03:45 AM
theres more alts in the voting then mr.smiths in the matrix

GunStar
11-07-2006, 03:57 AM
theres more alts in the voting then mr.smiths in the matrixWho's Mr. Smiths???

Verstyle
11-07-2006, 04:13 AM
Who's Mr. Smiths???

the white clone guy from the movie that chases neo

GunStar
11-07-2006, 04:18 AM
the white clone guy from the movie that chases neoNever seen the movie, but I've seen the trailer. Toney is the closest thing to Mr. Smiths. :D

Verstyle
11-07-2006, 04:20 AM
Never seen the movie, but I've seen the trailer. Toney is the closest thing to Mr. Smiths. :D

wow never seen the matrix.havnt met alot of ppl that havnt

GunStar
11-07-2006, 04:30 AM
wow never seen the matrix.havnt met alot of ppl that havntI don't watch too many movies anymore, but I think I will check Borat out this week.

Animal Squabbs
11-13-2006, 05:05 AM
How can Joe Louis be one of the most defensive fighters if he got dropped by almost everybody he fought??????? Schmeling capitalized on the fact that Louis was bringing his jab back low, a very amateur mistake.

BuddyChacon
11-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Here's my list.

1. Joe Louis
2. Jack Johnson
3. Mike Tyson
4. Larry Holmes
5. Muhammad Ali

First off my list has Jimmy Young as number 1. His defense was his best weapon.

Krucial
11-21-2006, 09:17 AM
Joe Louis?
nah man
Louis got dropped alot
n liked brawling

1.Muhammad Ali
2.James Toney

only 2 recognizable defensive HW's i can think of

LondonRingRules
11-21-2006, 11:53 AM
Joe Louis?
nah man
Louis got dropped alot
n liked brawling

1.Muhammad Ali
2.James Toney

only 2 recognizable defensive HW's i can think of

** Must not have thought much. Ali took so many punches that he's punch drunk, and Toney as a heavy is a punching bag on his way to punchdrunkdom.

Jack Johnson, Tunney, Jeanette, Tommy Gibbons were known for defense.

Krucial
11-22-2006, 07:53 AM
hell naw
toney got his defense,countering skills down!

n who dont take some punches
Ali has parkinsons only becuz he went on too long
thats it
its ignorant of u to say Ali wasnt defensive
he could lean outta any punch
he leans back,forward,down,left n right
it was hard n frustratin to hit ALI

am i wrong?
if i am ur an idiot

realheavyhands
11-22-2006, 11:44 AM
tyson was supposed to be like joe louis withbetter defense but he coudnt throw punches like louis becuase he was a converted southpaw

macman
12-13-2006, 08:08 AM
Apart from Jack Johnson, there are very few legitimate great defensive heavyweights
- the vast majority are fighters moving up to the weight class, or all-rounders who had a good defence.

Might have to put Chris Byrd in at number 2, because although he was probably a blown up super-middle, atleast he started his pro career at Heavy.

After that, probably go for Gene Tunney, Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Micheal Spinks, Tommy Loughran, & Tom Gibbons.

- Tunney & Charles both Master boxers who emphasized their defence when they moved up to Heavy,
- Jersey Joe an excellent counter-puncher with a tricky defence, who atleast was a natural Heavy
- Spinks, Loughran & Gibbons all coming up from Light Heavy or Middle but were all excellent defensive fighters.

Dempsey 1919
12-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Apart from Jack Johnson, there are very few legitimate great defensive heavyweights
- the vast majority are fighters moving up to the weight class, or all-rounders who had a good defence.

Might have to put Chris Byrd in at number 2, because although he was probably a blown up super-middle, atleast he started his pro career at Heavy.
After that, probably go for Gene Tunney, Ezzard Charles, Jersey Joe Walcott, Micheal Spinks, Tommy Loughran, & Tom Gibbons.

- Tunney & Charles both Master boxers who emphasized their defence when they moved up to Heavy,
- Jersey Joe an excellent counter-puncher with a tricky defence, who atleast was a natural Heavy
- Spinks, Loughran & Gibbons all coming up from Light Heavy or Middle but were all excellent defensive fighters.

This is a joke, right.

macman
12-18-2006, 11:38 AM
This is a joke, right.
Hey - the post is about best defensive Heavyweights, which as far as I can work out means the main criteria is that their defense was their strong point.

Apart from Johnson, who is there?
Jersey Joe ? More of a counter-puncher than a natural defensive wizard.

Say what you want about Byrd, but he faced the majority of decent Heavyweights over the last 10 years or so, beating most of them, which considering his size is a major accomplishment.

hemichromis
12-18-2006, 01:53 PM
jimmy young

The Surgeon
12-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Tough 1! I'd go with Tyson, Tunney, Byrd, and Toney. A bit off topic now but i read a few pages back peeps talking about Fight Night, I Luv those games but can sum1 answer me why Tyson and Foreman ect aint in them? Just curious

Gemini531
02-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Let me lay it down for all you!!!!!!!!!!!
1. James "Lights Out" Toney 5'9 and rarely gets hit with clean shots from guys 6'3 and up natural heavy weights he is better that some of the top welterweights.
2. Joe Frazier in his prime the bobin and weavin was too much even for Ali.
3. Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali the master at movin angles and Improvising and seeking out weaknesses.(Rope A Dope)
4.Chris Byrd before his year long lay-off he was like a light hitting Ali/Whitaker just look back at his fights with Holifield and Gollota the man was Crisco slick. The only reason he is a heavy weight is because of his slickness and counterpuch ability he moved so fast he made Vitali quit after injuring himself on a missed punch.
5. Has to be Archie Moore not taking away from Tunney or tyson but the Mongoose paved the way for freakin Frazier, Norton, Foreman, Shavers, and dont forget Holifield every one knows that Archie invented the Mongoose defense that these prior mentioned fighters all used to block sharp and powerful blows from their opponents.

* Notice the Majority of my top 5 were very much undersized and to compete in a division where danger is at every turn your defense has to be Special.:boxing:

Dempsey 1919
02-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Let me lay it down for all you!!!!!!!!!!!
1. James "Lights Out" Toney 5'9 and rarely gets hit with clean shots from guys 6'3 and up natural heavy weights he is better that some of the top welterweights.
2. Joe Frazier in his prime the bobin and weavin was too much even for Ali.
3. Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali the master at movin angles and Improvising and seeking out weaknesses.(Rope A Dope)
4.Chris Byrd before his year long lay-off he was like a light hitting Ali/Whitaker just look back at his fights with Holifield and Gollota the man was Crisco slick. The only reason he is a heavy weight is because of his slickness and counterpuch ability he moved so fast he made Vitali quit after injuring himself on a missed punch.
5. Has to be Archie Moore not taking away from Tunney or tyson but the Mongoose paved the way for freakin Frazier, Norton, Foreman, Shavers, and dont forget Holifield every one knows that Archie invented the Mongoose defense that these prior mentioned fighters all used to block sharp and powerful blows from their opponents.

* Notice the Majority of my top 5 were very much undersized and to compete in a division where danger is at every turn your defense has to be Special.:boxing:

Frazier did not have a great defensive. If he did, he would not have been bounced around six times by George Foreman.

realheavyhands
02-10-2007, 01:30 PM
kevin rooney ruined tyson.. after he was the only one left he got a big head and thought he ran the show. rooney sucks

Yaman
02-10-2007, 01:33 PM
Frazier did not have a great defensive. If he did, he would have been bounced around six times by George Foreman.

If he didn't have great defence, why DID he get bounced around six times?

Dempsey 1919
02-10-2007, 02:14 PM
If he didn't have great defence, why DID he get bounced around six times?

It was a grammatical error, obviously.:rolleyes:

Verstyle
02-10-2007, 02:26 PM
kevin rooney ruined tyson.. after he was the only one left he got a big head and thought he ran the show. rooney sucks

quote of the day.:rofl:

Mistadobalina
02-10-2007, 02:58 PM
how come jersey joe aint on that list? :ugh:

Dempsey 1919
02-10-2007, 03:13 PM
how come jersey joe aint on that list? :ugh:

:ugh: IDK.

Mr E
02-12-2007, 08:25 PM
It seems to me that "defense" should mean "avoiding getting hit," which combines technique, reflexes and mobility. Limiting my choices to heavyweight champions, here's how I see it:

1-Muhammad Ali (in his prime, he was harder to hit cleanly than any other heavyweight)
2-Jack Johnson
3-Gene Tunney
4-Jim Corbett
5-Jersey Joe Walcott
6-Ezzard Charles
7-Jack Sharkey
8-Larry Holmes

Best defensive among offensive fighters, who, due to their much more aggressive styles, got hit more frequently than the guys listed above:

1-Jack Dempsey
2-Joe Louis
3-Mike Tyson
4-Bob Fitzsimmons
5-Lennox Lewis

If we were to expand the list beyond heavyweight champions, we'd have to find room for Peter Jackson, Tommy Gibbons, Tommy Loughran, Maxie Rosenbloon, Billy Conn, Jimmy Bivins, Archie Moore, Harold Johnson, Ernie Terrell, Jimmy Ellis, Jimmy Young and Chris Byrd, among others.

me2007
02-15-2007, 08:48 AM
In my opinion Ali touched the canvas too many times to be the greatest defensive boxer ever.

Yogi
02-15-2007, 11:21 AM
It seems to me that "defense" should mean "avoiding getting hit," which combines technique, reflexes and mobility. Limiting my choices to heavyweight champions, here's how I see it:

1-Muhammad Ali (in his prime, he was harder to hit cleanly than any other heavyweight)
2-Jack Johnson
3-Gene Tunney
4-Jim Corbett
5-Jersey Joe Walcott
6-Ezzard Charles
7-Jack Sharkey
8-Larry Holmes

Best defensive among offensive fighters, who, due to their much more aggressive styles, got hit more frequently than the guys listed above:

1-Jack Dempsey
2-Joe Louis
3-Mike Tyson
4-Bob Fitzsimmons
5-Lennox Lewis

If we were to expand the list beyond heavyweight champions, we'd have to find room for Peter Jackson, Tommy Gibbons, Tommy Loughran, Maxie Rosenbloon, Billy Conn, Jimmy Bivins, Archie Moore, Harold Johnson, Ernie Terrell, Jimmy Ellis, Jimmy Young and Chris Byrd, among others.

Excellant post, Mr E, and here's wishing you a welcome to the site.