View Full Version : Weight Lifting

-Nova-
04-23-2006, 10:20 PM
I do it alot, and i'm 14. My brother says i should stop because it makes my muscles short, stopping my growth, and also i'm not sure if boxers should be lifting. Should I stop?

enadeus
04-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Ask the people at the gym which machines there hinder growth. Mostly you shouldent lift anything over your head that puts pressure on your spinal cord, but I'm not sure. I'd look it up on google or best ask at the gym.

LightsOut Le
04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
my coasch jsut restricted me from some certain execises...not completely form weightlifitng tho...he told me to stay away from and type of pressing so my chest is still small...so i can bring my arms in...

like winky wright..if my chest is too big i cant do it anymore...all i do is pull ups...and the machine that works the same muscles to build my lats for punching power....

if your uncertain jsut do pushups and pull ups

yrrej
04-23-2006, 10:51 PM
Just don't go too heavy for a few more years.....

oliverlt
04-23-2006, 11:21 PM
I do it alot, and i'm 14. My brother says i should stop because it makes my muscles short, stopping my growth, and also i'm not sure if boxers should be lifting. Should I stop?

not to embarrass you or anything but don't lift until after you've completed puberty. You body is still growing stick with cardio. And if you want to be a boxer dont lift heavy. You dont want you're muscles tight you want the loose this is where the speed is at. Tight muscles also have less range of motion. Strength is more of a genetic gift for a boxer. If your born with strength, you can work on speed. but if you're not born with strength you have to decide which is more important to you speed or strength. Cause if you work on strength you'll lose speed. But you should try to balance both.

Kayo
04-23-2006, 11:53 PM
the reason why you shouldnt lift is because your only 14 and should just stick to bodyweight exercises. No weightlifting will not stunt your growth thats just a common myth because alot of buff people are short but their short in the first place and began lifting weights to compensate.

Pugnacious_Z
04-24-2006, 12:05 AM
my coasch jsut restricted me from some certain execises...not completely form weightlifitng tho...he told me to stay away from and type of pressing so my chest is still small...so i can bring my arms in...

like winky wright..if my chest is too big i cant do it anymore...all i do is pull ups...and the machine that works the same muscles to build my lats for punching power....

if your uncertain jsut do pushups and pull ups

let me give u a helpful tip, never take advice from boxing trainers about lifting weights, they dont know anything about it.

enadeus
04-24-2006, 04:02 PM
Man just do dips, pull ups and chin ups, and pushups/situps and some light weights for the bicepts. Thats what my dad made me do when I was young to get me strong for street fights, too bad no one wanted to fight me. Well a couple of fights I've had there was a huge crowd for one and I kicked a guy in the ribs very lightly to show him that I would destroy him and then blocked about 3 of his shots & he backed off.

Scottie2Hottie
04-24-2006, 04:27 PM
for easter, my dad got me a book called "weight lifting for boxing." ill post some **** up for everyone when i get through it if i find it to be worthwhile.