View Full Version : Protein question..

RyanSpaulding
04-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Ok, so basically, I'm supposed to have around 55-60g of Protein a day to maintain/not lose muscle. But I'm on a diet where I'm grabbing between 800-1500 cals per day...so I'm low on my protein.

Truthfully though, I'm not looking to gain mass right now, but I want to try to lose the most fat vs muscle I can. Does eating protein, even in a calorie deficiency, help you NOT lose muscle?

Like can Ieat that amount of protein, still diet, and improve the amount of fat burned vs muscle?

supaduck
04-19-2006, 02:31 PM
protein builds muscle but doesnt maintain it. u have to lift and eat protein even to maintain muscle.

El Sniper
04-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I have read a few magazines that say to maintain muscle you should take at least 1gm of protein for every pound you weigh. For example, if you weigh 150lbs you would have to take 150grms of protein a day. Take a lean protein. They have specialty proteins at GNC. Also, if you want to get leaner and maintain the muscle. Do timed cardio. Instead of running for mileage, run for time. 35 minutes should be enough.

RyanSpaulding
04-19-2006, 03:04 PM
I hear there are MAJOR health risks down the road for eating that amount of protein and that it's vastly overdone. 30% of your caloric intake is the most youre supposed to have for protein, otherwise it's hard on your internal organs.

tebe6sm
04-19-2006, 08:48 PM
30% of daily caloric intake is usually around 150g per day if youre on a 2000/day diet

and sprint workouts are excellent fat burning workouts as well as maintaining muscle

JoeTheRock7
04-19-2006, 09:47 PM
You can't have too much protein you just excrete the excess protein that the body does not use.

yrrej
04-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Number 1, if you don't get enough protein you lose muscle. Number 2, if you don't work the muscles while dieting, you lose muscle
Number 3, protein can be burned just like carbs and fat. It produces the same calories as carbs. So make sure you've got enough protein in your diet, especially if you are cutting calories. Otherwise, you are simply burning the protein, instead of the missing carbs and fat. But drink plenty of fluids.

abidi
06-01-2006, 06:25 AM
if you want to gain mass you have to eat about 3g/kg protein and of course eat a lot carbs(such as pasta,potato,brown rice..and such...)if you want to lose fat and get muscles then you eat 2g/kg protein and must to low carbs. :boxing:

leff
06-01-2006, 04:49 PM
protein builds muscle but doesnt maintain it. u have to lift and eat protein even to maintain muscle.

uuuuum

proteins are essential to maintain mucsle as well as build them.

leff
06-01-2006, 05:34 PM
You can't have too much protein you just excrete the excess protein that the body does not use.

if you eat to much protein it will turn into fat

BrooklynBomber
06-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Dont get too crazy with proteins, carbs are just as important.

Kayo
06-01-2006, 06:53 PM
if you eat to much protein it will turn into fat
to much proteine doesnt turn into fat to many calories make you fat you just poop out the proteine and fibers that arent being used

Banderivets
06-01-2006, 09:47 PM
I have read a few magazines that say to maintain muscle you should take at least 1gm of protein for every pound you weigh. For example, if you weigh 150lbs you would have to take 150grms of protein a day. Take a lean protein. They have specialty proteins at GNC. Also, if you want to get leaner and maintain the muscle. Do timed cardio. Instead of running for mileage, run for time. 35 minutes should be enough.

150 grams a day is not realistic. Thats body builder numbers.

60 grams a day is enough to grow muscle.

I know. I do it. And I grow muscle with no more then 80grams a day.

Usualy physicians recomend 30grams a day for a man.

Kayo
06-02-2006, 12:53 AM

i'd like you to find a physician that recommends 30grams of protein a day cause i'l go n burn his certificate to build muscle you want 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass on your body

leff
06-02-2006, 10:58 AM
to much proteine doesnt turn into fat to many calories make you fat you just poop out the proteine and fibers that arent being used

and there are 4kcal in each gram off protein so your point is what?

leff
06-02-2006, 11:00 AM

30 gram maybe as a minimum for a inactive male, probablywhat you need to stay healthy.

agree 1gram per pound is good, but hard if your on a strict diet.

i dont think you should go under 100 if your active

Banderivets
06-02-2006, 08:43 PM
i dont think you should go under 100 if your active

whatever man.

I have about 80 a day and I grow muscle.

1 gram per pound is simply not realistic.

There is no way for me to consume 180grams of protein a day without heavy use of suppliments.

Did any of you count how much food you need to eat a day to have over 100grams of protein? I thought so.

Banderivets
06-02-2006, 08:47 PM
i'd like you to find a physician that recommends 30grams of protein a day cause i'l go n burn his certificate to build muscle you want 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass on your body

Mate, its bloody 1gram per KILOGRAM of body mass.

Not pound.

Im 180lb.

How the **** am I supposed to consume 180grams of protein a day?

Thats chicken for breakfest, dinner, supper...

"The RDA represents the minimum amount of protein needed to fulfill protein needs in 97.5% of the population. This value is equal to 0.8 g of protein per kg body weight per day."

"We have seen in our lab that individuals undergoing endurance training increase their protein needs to about 1 to 1.2 g per kg per day, well above the RDA."
http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/articles/nutrition/protein_2/

yrrej
06-02-2006, 10:21 PM
No, you need at least 100 grams of protein a day if you are working out hard. You can lose weight and retain muscle mass if you use your muscles. Otherwise, your body will burn the muscle as soon as it gets really hungry. You don't want to lose muscle mass unless you are trying to fight at a lighter weight. But that's not a good reason. Look what happened to Roy Jones.....

slavik18
06-02-2006, 10:31 PM
Mate, its bloody 1gram per KILOGRAM of body mass.

Not pound.

Im 180lb.

How the **** am I supposed to consume 180grams of protein a day?

Thats chicken for breakfest, dinner, supper...

"The RDA represents the minimum amount of protein needed to fulfill protein needs in 97.5% of the population. This value is equal to 0.8 g of protein per kg body weight per day."

"We have seen in our lab that individuals undergoing endurance training increase their protein needs to about 1 to 1.2 g per kg per day, well above the RDA."
http://www.thedoctorwillseeyounow.com/articles/nutrition/protein_2/

Its called Protein shakes. In order to get full muscle growth and repair 1.5 g of protein per lb of body weight is recommened.

Banderivets
06-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Its called Protein shakes. In order to get full muscle growth and repair 1.5 g of protein per lb of body weight is recommened.

All I have to say is

what-****ing-ever. Period.

This means I need 270grams of protein a day.

Man that means I need to consume a bucket of protein shakes a week.

Eat chicken burgers like a casual choclate bar...

I have been consuming about 80 grams of protein a day for the last two month and having been putting on visual muscle for those 2 months.

This is the first time I ever hear that someone like me needs 270grams of protein to put on muscle. Utter bul****.

Just was reading an article not too long ago about early body builders and how 200 grams was about the norm back then.

Thats professional body builders.

Daily I have 50grams of protein in form of protein powder and another 30-40 in eggs and meat.

Banderivets
06-02-2006, 11:16 PM
And this is what my friend said, he's an AFAA certified personal trainer.

"OH and another thing, it has been prooven that this is overkill. The correct ration (corrected a couple of months ago) is 1gram of protein per KILOGRAM you weigh. 1.5 or 2grams is what the bottle say just so you consume more. Your body cant process 2 grams of Protein "

One more

"if you eat quantities of protein common among bodybuilders, say 1.6 - 1.8 grams per kilogram" ttp://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/

So for someone like me, if I was a body builder I would need to consume 160! grams of protein a day.

If I was a body builder.

Now I dont want to look like Arnold.

And all ya'll saying you need 1.5 grams per pound are full of **** sorry. Just a big misconception. How can you consume 290 grams of protein a day I just dont know.

As I said. Thats like 3 50 gram protein shakes, and tons of meat. Its unrealistic.

Anyone else want to keep arguing?