View Full Version : How do I become a great fighter?

slurpee
04-17-2006, 12:20 AM
I just dropped out of college and joined a boxing gym because I want to be a champion boxer. Just wondering exactly how good one's skills must be in order to be a champ?

mayweather
04-17-2006, 12:22 AM
not a good choice to leave college for something that about 1 in 100 people become champions at. watch some videos of pros and study workouts of ppl online. everything makes you a champ. counterpunching, balance, defense, speed, power, strength, footwork, offensive fighting, defensive fighting, feinting, dodging/ducking & slipping, everything man. its not just a few things champs arent made the night after they dropped out of college.

Verstyle
04-17-2006, 12:24 AM
I just dropped out of college and joined a boxing gym because I want to be a champion boxer. Just wondering exactly how good one's skills must be in order to be a champ?

hahaha. i thought about quittin my job a few times thinkin hell if i do good in boxin i can be these *****es bosses :D but u have to have pretty good technique,able to take a punch cause when u see fighters in the tv takin punches and actin like it didnt hurt,well that **** hurts ahahaha. an alright chin,heart,dont nessecarily need speed or power to be a champ u gotta be smart in the ring and being a good counter is pretty useful also,and good promoting is also good :)

LightsOut Le
04-17-2006, 01:24 AM
goddamn..thas either real dedication..or jsut stupid...
if you have heart you can do it...sicne you already dropped out why dont you moved out where your at and live at the gym..then you can become champ

Piggu
04-17-2006, 01:31 AM
Champ like Undisputed or Champ like IBO? :D

RockyMarcianofan00
04-17-2006, 01:52 AM
go back to college never sacrifice a career for something that may change in a day

in college you get an education that regardless will be with you forever, with boxing you can get popped by a chump in sparring just to make you look bad and it can end your boxing career

all somebody has to do is hit you at the right angle on the eye and your boxing careers over regardless

knowledge will be with you until the day you die (or go nuts)

kevin18wishin21
04-17-2006, 03:02 AM
I agree. Why cant you go to college full time and box? Thats like quitting your job and trying out for the pros if you might not even make it. That doesn't make since dog. Play it smart, if you wanna box then you can, but you can go to college too. Yea its hard but you cover your ass.

El Sniper
04-17-2006, 03:29 AM
That reminds me of that show on Showtime. "Ressurection BLVD" where that kid drops out of college and goes Pro and just when he gets that championship bout after 16-0, he looses. Don't be hasty man. Boxing isn't just some sport you pick up after dropping something like college. I never went to college but I do box just because it's easier for me to hit faces than books. But you should go back to school. Getting a degree is easier than becoming a champion in most cases.

yrrej
04-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Finish college....

Spinz
04-17-2006, 11:30 AM
you gotta be somethin epic to become a champion. bottom line is you gotta be a tough mutha****er. and a DEDICATED mutha****er.

99.9% of boxing isnt glamourous like Judah and Mayweather make it seem. man i got into boxing thinking i would be like Roy Jones in a few weeks lol. the truth is painful.

eazy_mas
04-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Here is some statics

How many are big time boxers? about 100

How many are pro boxer? just look at boxrec probably above 3000

How many are ameuter boxers? Probably more than pro

How many just do boxing for the heck of it with no record? well too many

So you make the math around here and see.

the stastic of being accepted to MIT or Havard..etc is more than become a champ in boxing.

Another thing Larry Holmes was a world heavywieght champ and won Ali now he is a genatoir in the YMCA. So think about you future.

AlexisA
04-17-2006, 12:51 PM
it's better to be smart and broke then stupid and broke.

Hunna
04-17-2006, 01:00 PM

ask a champion.... i dont think anyone on this site will have a close enough answer.

Rockin'
04-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Ill ask Hilmer Kenty, hes very sharp and articulate. Not all fighters are dumb you know, especially Hilmer.

Rockin' :boxing:

kevin18wishin21
04-17-2006, 02:25 PM
ask a champion.... i dont think anyone on this site will have a close enough answer.

amen :boobies:

Mr. Ryan
04-17-2006, 02:50 PM
First things first, you probably shoud've thought this out before you went and made these decisions. Boxing is a serious sport that takes alot of practice and a long time to perfect the craft. I've been boxing for 6 years now, and still have alot of holes in my game.

The most important thing if you want to become a fighter is go to the gym 6 days, without exception, and learn first hand from your trainer. He will teach you the basics, like throwing a 1-2 and ducking punches. Then you have to run. run alot, and get your stamina up. Then comes the most important thing about training, and that is sparring. Sparring 5 days a week will not only get your stamina up, but will make your reflexes nasty as hell. Alot of trainers nowadays don't believe in sparring alot, but **** them they don't know ****.

You can't bull**** boxing. You have to be in the gym sparring 5 days a week to have any shot of being a halfway decent boxer. My trainer used to turn off the clock and have me spar for 30 mins nonstop with different guys coming in and out to spar with. After I was finished working one of them over, a fresh man would come in. That is some seriously intense ****.

If you are going to decide that you want to box, what you have to understand is that it takes alot of time and practice to become a great fighter. You can't just go and rush things, or you will be hurt. Take things one day at a time and you should see vast improvement.