View Full Version : Right handed Southpaw

hemichromis
04-14-2006, 04:44 AM
does anyone fight this way, with their good hand as a lead hand. what are your opinions?

Mr. Ryan
04-14-2006, 05:10 AM
does anyone fight this way, with their good hand as a lead hand. what are your opinions?
I am against this in virtually every instance. I have seen this alot, particularly with guys who have a hard time throwing a left hook. Its not worth it as you can't improvise and think on your front foot as well, and you will probably have balance issues as well.

6OVER6LORD6
04-14-2006, 05:15 AM
............tyson

Southpaw Stinger
04-14-2006, 05:55 AM
...... Frazier, Cooper.

Hunna
04-14-2006, 06:42 AM

get into thering with a highly exp. fighter with a high work rate and u will soon realise the stance under pressure.

Verstyle
04-14-2006, 07:33 AM
i change up frequently myself since i can punch with both hands. the only thing i need to get used to is my stance in southpaw but the power is equal is sorta weird. cause i can go in south paw and throw a straight left and it will almost have the same power as a straight right outta orthodox position :confused:

Southpaw Stinger
04-14-2006, 09:08 AM
i change up frequently myself since i can punch with both hands. the only thing i need to get used to is my stance in southpaw but the power is equal is sorta weird. cause i can go in south paw and throw a straight left and it will almost have the same power as a straight right outta orthodox position

Are u ambidextrous?

IAMTHEGREATEST
04-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Yo man i fight southpaw and am right handed, the reason i do this is because i was never comfortable with my left hand being my jab hand, the way i see it is, if i can turn my weaker hand into my power hand (theleft) and make my actual power hand my jab hand, then im a complete fighter....... with the ability to KO a person with a jab, and now my left cross... if that makes sense

IAMTHEGREATEST
04-14-2006, 09:29 AM
its like i took my 40cal (my left hand) and turned it to a Shotgun, and my shotgun (my right hand) into a sawed of shotgun

6OVER6LORD6
04-14-2006, 09:32 AM
its like i took my 40cal (my left hand) and turned it to a Shotgun, and my shotgun (my right hand) into a sawed of shotgun

something tells me you have a tattoo of your own name

Manfredo Jr
04-14-2006, 10:52 AM
im a left handed orthdox :cool:

Glove_Game_Hero
04-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Yeah man, im othrodox, but im left handed. My trainers said that can be a very good thing, having your lead hand as your strong hand.

fraidycat
04-14-2006, 12:41 PM
I'm ambidextrous and training southpaw.

El Sniper
04-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Winky Wright is a good example of a right-handed southpaw. His jab is powerful but his straight left lacks power. Still, it doesn't hinder him from winning fights because of his great defense. BTW, I have Winky winning against JT with a SD.

Sttuddahboy619
04-14-2006, 02:49 PM
Why do right-handers do this? is it to set up the left?

yrrej
04-14-2006, 02:59 PM
Yep, but mostly outside of boxing. In boxing, because of the protection afforded by gloves (and headgear in the amateurs), most people want their dominant hand in the rear, in order to maximize the power of the cross. But in martial arts and the street, where weapons or knuckle hardness, gouging, etc. can make a big difference, most people fight with the strong side forward. Especially if one has a weapon, it only makes sense to have it in your dominant hand between you and the other guy. So, along these lines, since the average martial artist is going to fight both armed and/or unarmed, it makes sense to fight with the strong side forwards, so there is no confusion switching back and forth from one lead to the other. The really great fighters can fight from either lead, however, although they will fight differently on one side of the other. The sides will still not be equal.

IAMTHEGREATEST
04-14-2006, 05:50 PM
something tells me you have a tattoo of your own name

damn your good, actually its my nick name NUK

Gio
04-15-2006, 12:09 AM
I dont thinks its very good at all. U will have a strong lead hand but your rear hand is always going to be weak. No matter how hard u train, u wont have that nature power like u do with u dominate hand.

JLW7
04-15-2006, 12:11 AM
im a right-handed southpaw
I always tried fighting in the orthodox stance but it always felt really unnatural and I had worse balance for some reason. I fight much more comfortably as a southpaw and decided to switch after sparring a buddy of mine. He told me I was a better fighter as a southpaw, maybe thats because his not use to fighting southpaws, i dont know.

Verstyle
04-15-2006, 12:12 AM
Are u ambidextrous?

yep very so :cool: :boxing:

Verstyle
04-15-2006, 12:14 AM
i remember switchin south paw in a street fight and i dropped him with my left. dude didnt see it coming :D

Pugnacious_Z
04-15-2006, 01:37 AM
the guys who fight with their strong hand as their lead hand just do it cause their lazy. Don't you think every1 has trouble fighting the right way around when you start, you just have to keep doing it the right way and slowly it will be a habit. you guys cant do it and quickly change it up, just stick with it

IAMTHEGREATEST
04-15-2006, 02:04 AM
what makes fighting with your strong hand forward the wrong way because they have names for orthodox and southpaw fighters...... it shouldnt matter which hand you fight with forward if you can handle your business in the ring, **** if i could stand on my hands and punch wit my feet i would! What ever makes you comfortable is the right way PERIOD.

Pugnacious_Z
04-16-2006, 12:57 AM
in the long run, the original way is better.

Living Legend
04-16-2006, 02:08 AM
From what I have seen right handed southpaws, don't produce many knockouts...Using your strong hand upfront actually takes away from your power and defense...

IAMTHEGREATEST
04-16-2006, 07:33 AM
well since you havent seen that many KOs by Righ handed southpaws, ill make it a goal of mine to KO every ****ing body i fight when i turn pro!

(or atleast 70% of um if not more)

Mick Hucknall
04-16-2006, 08:27 AM
I've recently gotten back into boxing. And although it feels good fighting using a southpaw stance ( I'm right handed) I just know even though my jab is strong that my left cross or hook is gonna be lacking a lot more more than my right cross or hook. Plus i don't really care much for not having the most powerful jab in the orthodox stance as long as its accurate it should only be used to tee of your opponent keeping him outta range and setting him up for the 1-2 combination. So i do think when i get into the amateurs if i decide to go southpaw most likely i'll have a far more difficult time than if i fight orthodox

Pugnacious_Z
04-16-2006, 08:32 AM
i have an orthodox stance and im right handed and my jab is harder with my left then it is if i switched to southpaw becoz ive practiced it alot more, after using your weaker hand as your jab, it starts getting strong

B.relampago
04-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Miguel Cotto is left handed but boxes orthadox i believe. Thas why he fights well from southpaw position and why his left hand is so vicious.

B.relampago
04-16-2006, 09:38 AM
i remember switchin south paw in a street fight and i dropped him with my left. dude didnt see it coming :D

are u really into all that pokemon carton shyt?

tDeL999
04-16-2006, 06:02 PM
WTF are you talking about?

Verstyle
04-16-2006, 06:03 PM

actually dbz is an animation with nudity and cursing. but yes im into anime :)

Verstyle
04-16-2006, 06:03 PM

actually dbz is an animation with nudity and cursing. but yes im into anime :) well only dragonball z

tDeL999
04-16-2006, 06:19 PM
you like cartoon **** hahaha

Amar
04-16-2006, 08:06 PM
actually dbz is an animation with nudity and cursing. but yes im into anime :) well only dragonball z

Dragonball Z sucks ballZ... but I do like some anime, you should try and watch the anime Hajime No Ippo. It is a boxing anime that is pretty much the best anime I've ever seen.

10000000000000000000000 x better than DBZ. And even though it's highly dramatized its actually very accurate to actual boxing. They make referances to actual fighters (like Tyson, Hearns, Marciano) and have fighters that use all different fighting styles.

If I were you I'd check it out, you can download it from some torrent site or watch it on youtube.com, I'm pretty sure some guy put a lot of episodes on there.

Verstyle
04-16-2006, 08:33 PM
Dragonball Z sucks ballZ... but I do like some anime, you should try and watch the anime Hajime No Ippo. It is a boxing anime that is pretty much the best anime I've ever seen.

10000000000000000000000 x better than DBZ. And even though it's highly dramatized its actually very accurate to actual boxing. They make referances to actual fighters (like Tyson, Hearns, Marciano) and have fighters that use all different fighting styles.

If I were you I'd check it out, you can download it from some torrent site or watch it on youtube.com, I'm pretty sure some guy put a lot of episodes on there.

check the ratings and the actual knowings of the anime's and i guarentee dbz will win by a huuuuuuuuge margin. and yes i've seen that show and it doesnt have **** on dbz. maybe your not watchin the right dbz shows, i tend to watch the japanese 1s

Amar
04-16-2006, 08:51 PM
check the ratings and the actual knowings of the anime's and i guarentee dbz will win by a huuuuuuuuge margin. and yes i've seen that show and it doesnt have **** on dbz. maybe your not watchin the right dbz shows, i tend to watch the japanese 1s

I seen some of the episodes in Japanese, and they are better but I just don't like the story and everything of it.

Btw you ever seen Berserk? I just finished watching that one a while back I think that one was really good too.

Verstyle
04-16-2006, 08:53 PM
I seen some of the episodes in Japanese, and they are better but I just don't like the story and everything of it.

Btw you ever seen Berserk? I just finished watching that one a while back I think that one was really good too.

nope never seen that 1. but with dbz the power up and **** like that seems so real. its like ppl in real life trying to get hyped for something

Amar
04-16-2006, 08:58 PM
nope never seen that 1. but with dbz the power up and **** like that seems so real. its like ppl in real life trying to get hyped for something

Yeah they kind of over do it sometimes though.

Verstyle
04-16-2006, 09:04 PM
Yeah they kind of over do it sometimes though.

its a bad as show. i follow it threw. u gotta get the first episodes and watch them all threw in order from there to actually get it,cause if u catch it in the middle u will think its stupid cause thats how i was at first

Dye
04-16-2006, 09:26 PM
Actually what one of you said about right handed southpaws is not true, Micheal Moorer produced alot of knockouts and he is a southpaw but is right handed

Amar
04-16-2006, 10:10 PM
Actually what one of you said about right handed southpaws is not true, Micheal Moorer produced alot of knockouts and he is a southpaw but is right handed

If you are a righty and fight as a southpaw you would have a killer Lead Hook, but your real power from the back hand would not be as strong.

I know that's obvious but what I really meant to say is that it depends on the fighter.

boxer2k5
04-17-2006, 03:05 PM
I am against this in virtually every instance. I have seen this alot, particularly with guys who have a hard time throwing a left hook. Its not worth it as you can't improvise and think on your front foot as well, and you will probably have balance issues as well.

thats not true
im right handed and i sometimes
fightsouthpaw

it all depends on how the boxer uses it
there is no perfect or 1 style

everyone has to find their thing
some can fight orthodox and still
have bad balance

it can work because i do it
won fights with it
and i have superb movement and
balance

Allen_Poe
04-18-2006, 02:56 AM

DBZ is cool, I watch it some, but there is alot of better anime out there.