View Full Version : Do I have the build to counterpunch?

Scottie2Hottie
04-13-2006, 03:33 PM
let me start by saying im awkwardly built. i have long arms, big hands, big feet, big torso, big shoulders, but short legs.

and let me say i have freakishly long arms. im 5'6'' and i have longer arms than some people over 6 feet tall.

do you think that having long reach but no real height advantage gives me the build to be a counterpuncher? if not, what do you think would fit?

also, today i did a little backyard boxing with a guy who was bobbing and weaving like tyson, and i worked him out. he would come in, and id land counter rights and left hooks until i backed him up, then id let him come at me again and do the same thing.

eazy_mas
04-13-2006, 04:40 PM
I think Thomas Hearns has the same as your body type. check his vids

not sure

B.relampago
04-13-2006, 05:14 PM
??????????????????????????? man people on this site freak me out.

opethdrums
04-13-2006, 05:51 PM
lol me too. what do you look like? name a fighter. montell griffon?

Spinz
04-13-2006, 07:19 PM
lol me too. what do you look like? name a fighter. montell griffon?

bro is that tarver and jones in your avatar? where did this happen?

opethdrums
04-13-2006, 07:34 PM
bro is that tarver and jones in your avatar? where did this happen?

in an alley behind a restaurant. tarver was asking jones if he wanted a knuckle sandwhich

JoeTheRock7
04-13-2006, 08:40 PM

Yea i know me too, great ass in your avatar, who is that girl??

kevin18wishin21
04-13-2006, 11:24 PM
let me start by saying im awkwardly built. i have long arms, big hands, big feet, big torso, big shoulders, but short legs.

and let me say i have freakishly long arms. im 5'6'' and i have longer arms than some people over 6 feet tall.

do you think that having long reach but no real height advantage gives me the build to be a counterpuncher? if not, what do you think would fit?

also, today i did a little backyard boxing with a guy who was bobbing and weaving like tyson, and i worked him out. he would come in, and id land counter rights and left hooks until i backed him up, then id let him come at me again and do the same thing.
Sounds like you are one of those genetic freaks who was made for boxing. Kind of like Muhammed Ali or Mike Tyson...if you watch football Deon Sanders, or better yet Earl Campbell..

Larry Merchant
04-13-2006, 11:31 PM

I think IMHO counter punching is more of a mind set then physical make up.

boxer2k5
04-13-2006, 11:32 PM

i was thinking the same thing

half these dumb ass questions are comming from guys
who never even went to a gym

if they did they wouldnt be asking questions like this

Larry Merchant
04-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Counter punching is using one's opponet's weight and gravity and momentive against themselves.But mainly the Counter Puncher uses his opponet being out of postion during the time they are punching...and also this results in conserving energy by fighting mainly when his opponet shows holes,also there is most of the time a lack of chasing opponets.

Scottie2Hottie
04-14-2006, 12:44 AM
cut me some ****in slack, guys, im in college, and so im stranded on campus without a gym to go to. ill be joining a gym in the summer. in the meantime, i still like to box, and like to improve even without a trainer.

it gets old hearin people say "get a trainer" when you dont know my situation.

Rockin'
04-14-2006, 12:58 AM
its not the build its the eyes and the mind to counter punch. Anybody can do it if they have these traits aligned.

ROCKIN' :boxing:

eazy_mas
04-14-2006, 02:08 AM
cut me some ****in slack, guys, im in college, and so im stranded on campus without a gym to go to. ill be joining a gym in the summer. in the meantime, i still like to box, and like to improve even without a trainer.

it gets old hearin people say "get a trainer" when you dont know my situation.

True.

Same sitaution in hear. College is different than highschool it a lot tough.

Just see how many guys commitee suicide in college

Smokin'
04-14-2006, 02:13 AM
"you don't choose the style, the style chooses you".

Kind of a cheesy quote, but it holds true. If you're serious about boxing, the style chooses you, not the other way around. If you want boxing to **** around then box like whoever the **** you want. Box like Ali, Jones, Toney etc. whatever you wish, but if you're serious about it, the style's going to choose you.

j
04-14-2006, 02:33 AM
some college campus's have a boxing program. but, i guess yours doesn't, right?

check if there is something close to it in the athletic department, like MA or wrestling. it will at least help you get into shape.

if there is nothing available in the way of boxing gyms or MA clubs near you, perhaps you should buy some instructional videos and study those in the mean time.

if you're doing backyard boxing, i hope you're smart enough to atleast buy a mouthguard.

Hunna
04-14-2006, 03:24 AM

similar to RJJ build? long arms, short legs? no height advantage?

Scottie2Hottie
04-14-2006, 12:03 PM
some college campus's have a boxing program. but, i guess yours doesn't, right?

check if there is something close to it in the athletic department, like MA or wrestling. it will at least help you get into shape.

if there is nothing available in the way of boxing gyms or MA clubs near you, perhaps you should buy some instructional videos and study those in the mean time.

if you're doing backyard boxing, i hope you're smart enough to atleast buy a mouthguard.

yeah we both had mouthguards lol, it was pretty safe. and there is a boxing gym, but its too far away to get to on foot. next year ill have my car so ill be able to drive.

yrrej
04-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Counterpunchers are where you find them, regardless of build. Mostly depends on quickness and timing more than anything. The quickness is mostly natural, and the timing comes from time spent sparring to develop recognition of what the other person is going to do.