View Full Version : References of the hardest hitter of all time?

XionComrade
04-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Does anyone know who Holmes, Norton, Lyle, and Ali said hit the the hardest?

I hear that Norton and Holmes said it was Cooney, and Ali and Lyle said Shavers.

Does anyone have any proof of their statements whatever they were? Any interviews?

It must be either Cooney or Shavers, It simply must be!

Hous
04-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Jersy Joe Walcott and Joe Louis both said Rocky Marciano hit them the hardest. Marciano is undoubtily the P4P most powerful puncher in history, keep in mind he only weighed 187lbs.

XionComrade
04-12-2006, 11:49 PM
180 would be better to say, He usually was at 180 anyway!

Yes Rocky was deffinently P4P the hardest hitter of all time, but who was the overall hardest hitter? I have a tie between Gerry Cooney and Earnie Shavers...

Hous
04-13-2006, 12:04 AM
What about Archie Moore, Jack Dempsey, George Foreman? Im going to go with Foreman.

Shavers may be #2.

Yogi
04-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Does anyone know who Holmes, Norton, Lyle, and Ali said hit the the hardest?

I hear that Norton and Holmes said it was Cooney, and Ali and Lyle said Shavers.

Does anyone have any proof of their statements whatever they were? Any interviews?

It must be either Cooney or Shavers, It simply must be!

Check out the Oct 2001 issue of Ring Magazine and you'll see some quotes from the likes of Ron Lyle, Ken Norton, and Jimmy Young stating that Earnie Shavers was the hardest puncher that they ever faced...which includes both George Foreman and Gerry Cooney.

I've posted those quotes on a couple of occasions in the past.

SABBATH
04-13-2006, 12:37 AM
Check out the Oct 2001 issue of Ring Magazine and you'll see some quotes from the likes of Ron Lyle, Ken Norton, and Jimmy Young stating that Earnie Shavers was the hardest puncher that they ever faced...which includes both George Foreman and Gerry Cooney.

I've posted those quotes on a couple of occasions in the past.

I remember reading a quote from Lyle after the Cooney fight where Lyle said no one had hit him that hard not even Foreman. He apparently said this in his dressing room while getting his ribs taped.

Yogi
04-13-2006, 12:50 AM
I remember reading a quote from Lyle after the Cooney fight where Lyle said no one had hit him that hard not even Foreman. He apparently said this in his dressing room while getting his ribs taped.

"Shavers hit me so hard it felt like needles were jabbing the back of my head. Without hesitation, Shavers was the hardest puncher I met." - Ron Lyle (Oct 2001 issue of Ring Magazine)

SABBATH
04-13-2006, 12:53 AM
"Shavers hit me so hard it felt like needles were jabbing the back of my head. Without hesitation, Shavers was the hardest puncher I met." - Ron Lyle (Oct 2001 issue of Ring Magazine)

I'm not doubting he said that at a later date. Just in the dressing room immediately after Cooney seperated his ribs he said nobody hit him harder.

Brassangel
04-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Ali had two selections as well. He said once that Shavers hit hardest; and in one of his biographies (King of the World, I think...a little help here), he said that George Foreman was the hardest hitter he faced, with Liston being the scariest, and Frazier brought out the best in him. He also mentioned something about Patterson being the most skilled fighter he ever faced, but the original topic was about hardest hitter, so blah.

XionComrade
04-13-2006, 03:52 PM
What about Archie Moore, Jack Dempsey, George Foreman? Im going to go with Foreman.

Shavers may be #2.

It certainly wasn't any of those guys...lol!

Foreman is ranked in the top 10 or so, but not in the top 5 for sure.

SuzieQ49
04-13-2006, 04:00 PM
180 would be better to say, He usually was at 180 anyway!

Yes Rocky was deffinently P4P the hardest hitter of all time, but who was the overall hardest hitter? I have a tie between Gerry Cooney and Earnie Shavers...

rocky was never 180lb, what are u talking about.

rocky was always 185lb + in his prime

XionComrade
04-13-2006, 04:10 PM
Lets just say 180....lol

ricecrispi
04-13-2006, 07:55 PM
it was 185 on the button.

Morrison. Mercer said Morrison hit him the hardest and mercer has taken some of the hardest shots ever.

XionComrade
04-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Lol its either Gerry Cooney or Earnie Shavers, those guys are tied for 1st place, its not Foreman, Morrison, Moore, or Marciano. Expecially not Tyson.

hemichromis
04-14-2006, 05:29 AM
p4p hardest hitters are maricano or dempsey i think marciano gets it because dempsey was a combo puncher whereas marciano was a one punch ko artist, jou louis said 'it hurt to bump into him'

ali has said shavers and foreman, from what i have seen shavers only had a good right cross which was ballistic! but everything else was mediocre. foreman could hit you from anywhere and make it hurt thats why i think he must be the hardest hitter, in his first career he had a better ko percentage then anyone ever- 92.5%

hemichromis
04-14-2006, 05:48 AM
i have found some quotes:

Jimmy Tillis: "He hit me man and knocked me face down on the canvas. I was in the land of make-belive. I heard zaxophones an trombnes. I saw little blue rats and they were all smoking cigars and drink whiskey!!"

Muhammad Ali: "Earnie Shavers hit me so hard he shook up my kinfold back in Africa!"

Larry Holmes: "Earnie hit me harder than any other fighter...including Mike Tyson"

these are all about shavers

hemichromis
04-14-2006, 05:49 AM
i think this quote is all from holmes

"Well I'll tell you I was banging Earnie pretty good, and his eyes were bloody. And I said "You're crazy to take all this ****. You're not gonna win." And he said "I'm gonna knock you out." Then he came open for a right uppercut. And when I got ready to throw the right uppercut, knowing Earnie was hurt, I dropped my left hand. He came with his overhand right. He put me down. He hit me so damn hard. I tell everybody I thought lightning struck me. That's how hard he hit me, Mike Tyson didn't hit so hard but getting hit by Earnie Shavers was like getting hit by lightning."

XionComrade
04-14-2006, 11:23 AM
It looked like he got strucked by lightning to! O.o

catskills23
04-14-2006, 07:52 PM
According to micheal spinks mike tyson hit harder than gerry cooney .

ricecrispi
04-14-2006, 08:03 PM
problem is jimmy ellis, ali, and holmes were good boxers that didn't get rocked all that much (except Ali who took too many punches.)

Ali says Shavers with Shaver's right hand and I have no doubt about that. Ali's been hit with a good amount of punches to know it what's a good punch but also puts a little spice and drama into everything he says.
I think Morrison would be second because Mercer every punch concieable to man kind and listed morrison hands down over all the fighters he faced in 80's-90's from Holmes, holyfield, lewis, and klitskho

Yaman
04-14-2006, 08:27 PM

"Well I'll tell you I was banging Earnie pretty good, and his eyes were bloody. And I said "You're crazy to take all this ****. You're not gonna win." And he said "I'm gonna knock you out." Then he came open for a right uppercut. And when I got ready to throw the right uppercut, knowing Earnie was hurt, I dropped my left hand. He came with his overhand right. He put me down. He hit me so damn hard. I tell everybody I thought lightning struck me. That's how hard he hit me, Mike Tyson didn't hit so hard but getting hit by Earnie Shavers was like getting hit by lightning."

Larry Holmes is a bitter *******. I wish Shavers finished him like Tyson did.

SABBATH
04-14-2006, 09:29 PM
Larry Holmes is a bitter *******. I wish Shavers finished him like Tyson did.

What makes him a bitter ******* just because he says Shavers hit harder than Tyson?

XionComrade
04-14-2006, 11:02 PM
Its mere fact that Cooney's, Foreman's, Marciano's, Ron Lyle's, and countless other fighters, expecially Earnie Shavers, had a punch that made Tyson's feel like heaven!

I have seen Mike land a clean shot right on a undefended chin and the guy still be throwing shots! That is not to say though that Tyson is not a devastating killer in the ring though!

Yaman
04-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Its mere fact that Cooney's, Foreman's, Marciano's, Ron Lyle's, and countless other fighters, expecially Earnie Shavers, had a punch that made Tyson's feel like heaven!

I have seen Mike land a clean shot right on a undefended chin and the guy still be throwing shots! That is not to say though that Tyson is not a devastating killer in the ring though!

Oh really. Foreman wasn't nearly as effective as Tyson. Look how many punches he needed to finish his opponents off when Tyson put them to sleep with 1 punch. Same as most those fighters you mentioned.

nelsoncm
04-15-2006, 02:48 PM

I dunno how Holmes would describe his ko by Tyson, but if being thrown around the ring like a rag doesn't hurt, I dunno what else does.

supaduck
04-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Julian Jackson!!

Dye
04-15-2006, 03:10 PM
I will go with morrison as in the top five top hardest punchers ever, with power you cant go with anybody under 200 lbs. Julian jackson hit really hard but he's a middleweight think of what a heavyweights punch would do to a middleweight.

hemichromis
04-15-2006, 03:58 PM
problem is jimmy ellis, ali, and holmes were good boxers that didn't get rocked all that much (except Ali who took too many punches.)

Ali says Shavers with Shaver's right hand and I have no doubt about that. Ali's been hit with a good amount of punches to know it what's a good punch but also puts a little spice and drama into everything he says.
I think Morrison would be second because Mercer every punch concieable to man kind and listed morrison hands down over all the fighters he faced in 80's-90's from Holmes, holyfield, lewis, and klitskho

di you see that fight! i was sure alis head was gonna be knocked right off its a shame shavers was average at everything except the cross!

i dont think tyson had the power of most of the others mentioned here but he could through combinations so quickly and the way he'd go after opponents as they were falling was just down right scary!!

hemichromis
04-15-2006, 04:00 PM
I will go with morrison as in the top five top hardest punchers ever, with power you cant go with anybody under 200 lbs. Julian jackson hit really hard but he's a middleweight think of what a heavyweights punch would do to a middleweight.

scott morrison?? really?

i have only seen the one fight against foreman but he didn't seem to shake foreman at all

Verstyle
04-15-2006, 04:07 PM

he didnt stay on his feet all that long old or not three knockdowns r three knockdowns.

Verstyle
04-15-2006, 04:08 PM

and all the other guys to,cause if that wasnt the case then they would all be winning there matches by ko. so slow down on the over hypin there ;)

Verstyle
04-15-2006, 04:10 PM
di you see that fight! i was sure alis head was gonna be knocked right off its a shame shavers was average at everything except the cross!

i dont think tyson had the power of most of the others mentioned here but he could through combinations so quickly and the way he'd go after opponents as they were falling was just down right scary!!

u obviously havnt seen him ko ppl with 1 punch :rolleyes:

Dye
04-15-2006, 04:26 PM
It's Tommy Morrison You dont know who he is, He had one of the best left hooks ever.

hemichromis
04-15-2006, 04:40 PM
[/B]

u obviously havnt seen him ko ppl with 1 punch :rolleyes:

they were mostly chumps anyone half decent could take 1 punch of tyson problem is the second one comes to quick then a 3rd 4th 5th......

Verstyle
04-15-2006, 04:42 PM
they were mostly chumps anyone half decent could take 1 punch of tyson problem is the second one comes to quick then a 3rd 4th 5th......

so how many good punchers have u seen ko good fighters

XionComrade
04-15-2006, 07:00 PM
Cooney-Norton, Lyle
Foreman-Norton, Frazier, Lyle...Lots of others
Shavers-Ellis, Norton, Not much more

The hardest hitter of all time is either Cooney or Shavers, their are no other's that deserve the title. I say it goes to Shavers. Morrison, Tyson, and even Foreman's don't match up to Shavers' or Cooney's punch. Holyfield says Foreman hit alot harder than Tyson...and he did, even at 45.

Yes I have seen Tyson KO people with one shot, and I have seen Morrison KO people with one shot, Ive seen many **** punchers KO people with one shot, it doesn't matter. Tyson KOed Frazier with one, and Holmes Put him away with one...Are you saying that Holmes almost hits as hard as Tyson? For Tyson it was alot of power with tons of skill and speed...for Shavers it was just a godlike amount of power...

Yaman
04-15-2006, 07:06 PM
So why do so many people mention Cooney? Because other fighters ''said so''?

K-DOGG
04-15-2006, 08:06 PM
Hardest Punchers since Liston:

1. Earnie Shavers
2. George Foreman
3. Gerry Cooney
4. Tommy Morrison
5. Mike Tyson
6. Lennox Lewis
7. Donovan Ruddock
8. David Tuaon
9. Ron Lyle
10. Mac Foster

XionComrade
04-15-2006, 08:12 PM
Hardest Punchers since Liston:

1. Earnie Shavers
2. George Foreman
3. Gerry Cooney
4. Tommy Morrison
5. Mike Tyson
6. Lennox Lewis
7. Donovan Ruddock
8. David Tuaon
9. Ron Lyle
10. Mac Foster

And that's a damn good list you got their!!! Not much arguing with that, but I put it Shavers, Cooney, Foreman...Etc.

Verstyle
04-15-2006, 08:13 PM
Cooney-Norton, Lyle
Foreman-Norton, Frazier, Lyle...Lots of others
Shavers-Ellis, Norton, Not much more

The hardest hitter of all time is either Cooney or Shavers, their are no other's that deserve the title. I say it goes to Shavers. Morrison, Tyson, and even Foreman's don't match up to Shavers' or Cooney's punch. Holyfield says Foreman hit alot harder than Tyson...and he did, even at 45.

Yes I have seen Tyson KO people with one shot, and I have seen Morrison KO people with one shot, Ive seen many **** punchers KO people with one shot, it doesn't matter. Tyson KOed Frazier with one, and Holmes Put him away with one...Are you saying that Holmes almost hits as hard as Tyson? For Tyson it was alot of power with tons of skill and speed...for Shavers it was just a godlike amount of power...

if u think cooney is up there then why dont ppl ever talk about him being 1 of the hardest, even the experts :rolleyes:

K-DOGG
04-15-2006, 08:17 PM
And that's a damn good list you got their!!! Not much arguing with that, but I put it Shavers, Cooney, Foreman...Etc.

Yeah, with Cooney, Shavers, & Foreman it's debateable and since I haven't been hit by any of them....:)

Yaman
04-15-2006, 08:40 PM
I don't know much about Cooney so i can't rank him. Neither do the experts, but,

1-George Foreman
2-Earnie Shavers
3-Mike Tyson
4-David Tua
5-Rocky Marciano

I tend to judge on power on both hands, how accurate it is and KO ability. Shavers is so high because his right hand may have been the hardest punch ever. Tyson because of the power he possesed in both hands. And you gotta see some of Tua's KO's. His power is underrated.

Dempsey 1919
04-15-2006, 09:18 PM
my top 5 is:

foreman
shavers
liston
tyson
cooney

XionComrade
04-15-2006, 11:08 PM
if u think cooney is up there then why dont ppl ever talk about him being 1 of the hardest, even the experts :rolleyes:

Becuase people don't like to talk about or even remember Gerry Cooney, in the publics eye he was nothing but a mere disapointment. He was supposed to be the real life Rocky, but when he lost to Creed this time for the first time, he fell appart and the rest is history. He is up their, he just wasn't THAT good.

Yaman I would say:
1-Earnie Shavers
2-George Foreman
3-David Tua
4-Rocky Marciano
5-Mike Tyson

I think Marciano hit harder than Tyson. I know Tua hit harder...even though he sucked somewhat.

Butterfly I would say:
Shavers
Cooney
Foreman
liston
Tyson

But Im just debating :P Remember Tyson was all Skill and Speed, if I had to divide his punch up it would be...25%Power,25%Speed,50%Skills! But thats just my oppinion. Foreman hit harder than Liston Im sure, Ali was surely just BSin when he said Liston hit harder, and that was even before they fought or Ali saw him training...

supaduck
04-16-2006, 06:19 AM
yeah but if we're talking P4P it has to be Julian Jackson.

XionComrade
04-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Ive never seen Julian Jackson, so until I do P4P IMO goes to Marciano! :P

SuzieQ49
04-16-2006, 01:50 PM
p4p in the heavyweight division

1. pre 1954 rocky marciano
2. jack dempsey
3. joe louis

Yaman
04-16-2006, 03:45 PM
p4p in the heavyweight division

1. pre 1954 rocky marciano
2. jack dempsey
3. joe louis

Couldn't agree more. Although its close between Dempsey and Louis.