View Full Version : Knocked someone out in sparring!

supaduck
04-10-2006, 12:20 PM
Today I was sparring with another guy from my gym, and I hit him with a right hook to the jaw, and he went down for about 15 seconds! It was a perfect punch whoch knocked him cold when it landed. I felt good when I went back to my corner and he was getting helped up etc. My trainer even gave him the count past 10 :D

Manfredo Jr
04-10-2006, 02:45 PM
Today I was sparring with another guy from my gym, and I hit him with a right hook to the jaw, and he went down for about 15 seconds! It was a perfect punch whoch knocked him cold when it landed. I felt good when I went back to my corner and he was getting helped up etc. My trainer even gave him the count past 10 :Dlol id probs be bragging aswell but u dont wanna knock ppl put in sparring lol nice one though it shows u hav good speed and power ;) just keep yer ko's for the ring :boxing:

legacyofbrutality
04-10-2006, 03:10 PM
or maybe the dude is horrible at taking punches :D, hard to get dropped when ur wearing headgear...But still man props to u that sh*t mustve felt f*ckin good just landing the punch haha.

Verstyle
04-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Today I was sparring with another guy from my gym, and I hit him with a right hook to the jaw, and he went down for about 15 seconds! It was a perfect punch whoch knocked him cold when it landed. I felt good when I went back to my corner and he was getting helped up etc. My trainer even gave him the count past 10 :D

damn that crazy u must of pissed him off or something. i've had my fair share of tkos and very few kos myself :)

legacyofbrutality
04-10-2006, 03:53 PM
damn that crazy u must of pissed him off or something. i've had my fair share of tkos and very few kos myself :)

were u being sarcastic? u look like ur capable of more than a few ko's :cool: haha. What weight do u usually fight at (just asking, and this isnt a challenge directed at u :D) ?

Verstyle
04-10-2006, 03:58 PM
were u being sarcastic? u look like ur capable of more than a few ko's :cool: haha. What weight do u usually fight at (just asking, and this isnt a challenge directed at u :D) ?

im gettin in amatuer so. like 154. but pro 147. but yeah jus very few. since i have to take it easy most of the time. and usually if the coaches see there guys hurt they will take them out before i ko them :D

75th
04-10-2006, 05:13 PM
hard to get dropped when ur wearing headgear
Thats nonsense.

The Raging Bull
04-10-2006, 06:11 PM
gees man u shudnt b knockin people out cold in sparrin. U spar to learn. keep that **** for the real fights.

:boxing:

legacyofbrutality
04-10-2006, 06:29 PM
Thats nonsense.

maybe i shouldve said "ive always found it hard to knock people down when they were wearing headgear..." well for me personally ive never knocked anyone down when they were wearing headgear, ive done it a few times with no headgear but maybe its cuz i dont hit that hard, my hands are fast and i can land acurately but knocking people down just isnt a specialty of mine :)...

fraidycat
04-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I would not have guessed that it's possible to cold-**** somebody in headgear. Damn. Glad I learned that here and not in the ring.

Kid Achilles
04-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Headgear does not help someone take a punch at all. If you can't knock someone down with headgear, your chances of knocking that same guy down do not go up when they take it off.

fraidycat
04-10-2006, 07:17 PM
I sent a guy to the floor a couple of weeks ago, but he didn't know WTF he was doing. I didn't realize you could knock someone out, though.

legacyofbrutality
04-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Headgear does not help someone take a punch at all. If you can't knock someone down with headgear, your chances of knocking that same guy down do not go up when they take it off.

lol maybe it just helps them against me :D ...

tDeL999
04-10-2006, 08:59 PM
the point of sparring is to develop technique, not to make yourself feel tough by laying them out

75th
04-10-2006, 09:12 PM
The main point behind head gear is simply for prevention of cuts.

Verstyle
04-10-2006, 09:14 PM
u know when i spar i realized i never try to go for the chin besides uppercuts. hmmmmmmmmm i think i will try it out :boxing:

75th
04-10-2006, 09:17 PM
u know when i spar i realized i never try to go for the chin besides uppercuts. hmmmmmmmmm i think i will try it out :boxing:
A counter overhand right is a thing of beauty.

legacyofbrutality
04-10-2006, 09:18 PM

neither did i to tell u the truth, i found it really hard to even see the other guy's chin with the headgear on, cuz not only did the headgear cover quite a bit of his face but also when he had his guard up it was even harder cuz of the gloves.

j
04-11-2006, 12:29 AM
headgear does dramatically reduce the inital blunt impact of a punch. however, you still risk a wide range of injuries even with headgear on. you are still prone to cuts, neck injuries of various kinds, a broken nose of course, among other things. remember, people have died fighting with headgear on. my simple advice - don't try to KO your sparring partners. it won't help much with your boxing.

like previously mentioned, sparring is generally meant to help you and your partner improve things like timing, positioning, etc.

Verstyle
04-11-2006, 12:33 AM
A counter overhand right is a thing of beauty.

my reach is so short its not even funny. i would have to throw that 1 quick

Verstyle
04-11-2006, 12:35 AM
headgear does dramatically reduce the inital blunt impact of a punch. however, you still risk a wide range of injuries even with headgear on. you are still prone to cuts, neck injuries of various kinds, a broken nose of course, among other things. remember, people have died fighting with headgear on. my simple advice - don't try to KO your sparring partners. it won't help much with your boxing.

like previously mentioned, sparring is generally meant to help you and your partner improve things like timing, positioning, etc.

understandable but for those that wanna take my head off like margaritos look alike i fought sunday. then i'll do it. i have to admit i was stunning him with uppercuts and it felt great :D

Verstyle
04-11-2006, 12:36 AM
neither did i to tell u the truth, i found it really hard to even see the other guy's chin with the headgear on, cuz not only did the headgear cover quite a bit of his face but also when he had his guard up it was even harder cuz of the gloves.

i can punch threw guards with no problem. as u can see when i did that 7 hit combo with the right and left hand in southpaw in the corner. on my 100.6 temp video :)

Verstyle
04-11-2006, 12:37 AM

honestly it does. cause there is alot of cushion in those things. although i would like to do without 1 but hey thats me

j
04-11-2006, 12:52 AM
true, good hard sparring does get you ready for people that wanna take your head off and makes you more comfortable under pressure. just be safe is all i'm sayin'.

good luck in ya training man. :)

dannygeale
04-11-2006, 02:27 AM
did any one here about danny geen ko ing paul briggs in sparring i heard danny green jus smashed paul briggs for 7 rounds !!! a jab arced and turned in to a left hook and down
went briggs? dannys main sponsor steve from the ritz told me there is even a mpeg out there that you can download but i havent found it yet :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

Sweat
04-11-2006, 02:34 AM
my reach is so short its not even funny. i would have to throw that 1 quick

****, if you think yours is short.. then mine is like midget short.. I'm 5'8 and 21 1/2 inches arm length.. :mad:

Rockin'
04-11-2006, 03:15 AM
Sometimes if a guy is just straight out bringing it to you then you have no choice but to bust him up a bit to get him off of you.

I had a heavyweight walk into the gym and he immediately spotted me and told his trainer that he wanted to fight with me. The trainer, who knew me, told him that he didnt want any part of me. That I was too experienced for him even though I may have spotted him 60-70 lbs.

We got going and he was like immediately trying to unload big time on me. As I slipped his punched and moved around I felt comfortable with the situation, he just wasnt hitting me. Then he got me on the ropes and stung me good with a right hand. A bit dazed, I stepped off of the ropes to my right, unloaded my right hand with authority and the guy took the shot flush. He stood straight up and then fell flat as a board to the canvas causing a rather load crash. I wasnt looking to drop the guy but he put in the position where I had to fight to survive. If he wasnt so gun ho on dropping me he would have fared much better than he did.

Basically what Im saying is that always be cool with your sparring partners. Try to work on things that you need while keeping it cool. If he wants to fight then I am always up and ready to exchange hard. When they do come on me like that I fire hard to get the advantage and then drive home a few solid shots extra to make him reconsider his future actions with me.

Sparring, fighting what ever you want to call it is a place to learn to fight. Cant learn to fight if you never actually straight out fight some guys. Ko's will happen the same as a car wreck at a nascar event. You pick up your fighter or tow the car to the pits and begin getting ready for the next event.

Rockin' :boxing:

boxer2k5
04-11-2006, 04:17 AM
how can you brag about that

he prob was jsut working with
you taking his time and you clocked him

do it in a fight it dont count for nothing
sparring

and he was from your own gym
no controll

only people who do that is guys form other gyms
or ones wit no experience

boxer2k5
04-11-2006, 04:18 AM

muscles mean ****

boxer2k5
04-11-2006, 04:23 AM
understandable but for those that wanna take my head off like margaritos look alike i fought sunday. then i'll do it. i have to admit i was stunning him with uppercuts and it felt great :D

if you have skills you can still keep
controll and hold back even with someone
going full steam

i can understand if they were better than
you and was comming at you hard

but msot of the time us guys with experience
will work with the newer guys
save the hard sparring for eachother

i was sparring with some big talll young
kid last week and he came at me hard

i was jsut peckign him jabs and lead rights

he was rushing and throwing wild
i hit him a few hard times to keep his
ass in controll

nothing to knock him out or hurt the kid

Rockin'
04-11-2006, 04:25 AM
how can you brag about that

he prob was jsut working with
you taking his time and you clocked him

do it in a fight it dont count for nothing
sparring

and he was from your own gym
no controll

only people who do that is guys form other gyms
or ones wit no experience

Its not bragging. I am staing the simple fact that if a guy is going to go off on me like that then I am going to give it right back. The guy outweighed me by 60-70 lbs. I will be a punching bag for no one. If he would have kept it cool then I would have done the same. He started bringing it so I brought it back on him the same, and like I said added a few good shots in there to keep him in check. If the guy wants to spar thats one thing. If he wants to straight out fight thats another. If he would have kept it cool than I would have complied and followed suite. But he wanted to bang so I gave it to him. I feel no remorse and as a matter of fact, his coach even told me that if he fights me to bust him in ass. I did that and feel no remorse for it. Believe me, if it was me that ended up on the canvas he would have be ecstatic and probably celebrated later that night. I say **** him, he got what he brought thrown right back in his face..

boxer2k5
04-11-2006, 04:31 AM
Its not bragging. I am staing the simple fact that if a guy is going to go off on me like that then I am going to give it right back. The guy outweighed me by 60-70 lbs. I will be a punching bag for no one. If he would have kept it cool then I would have done the same. He started bringing it so I brought it back on him the same, and like I said added a few good shots in there to keep him in check. If the guy wants to spar thats one thing. If he wants to straight out fight thats another. If he would have kept it cool than I would have complied and followed suite. But he wanted to bang so I gave it to him. I feel no remorse and as a matter of fact, his coach even told me that if he fights me to bust him in ass. I did that and feel no remorse for it. Believe me, if it was me that ended up on the canvas he would have be ecstatic and probably celebrated later that night. I say **** him, he got what he brought thrown right back in his face..

rockin i wasnt talkin bout u
i was talking bout the topic starter lol

Rockin'
04-11-2006, 04:39 AM
ok, cool man. My mistake.

Manfredo Jr
04-11-2006, 04:41 PM
lol i aint bragging or anything but im just back from boxing and ive just done the same , this guy was in his early 30's alot older than me and heavier than me , got him with a good left and of he went lol i apologised and he wasnt to bothered lol