View Full Version : Looking to get into boxing shape...

RyanSpaulding
04-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Hey all,

I'm new here and just have a question. What do most boxers do to get into boxing shape while maintaining the muscle?

I have about 10-15 lbs of fat I want to drop ASAP (within about 2 months) and want to gain some lean muscle before I start training again (I had 3 yrs boxing in middle school age but no training program for fitness).

What does everyone do here to just keep in shape?

RAESAAD
04-10-2006, 11:28 AM
I like to run and play basketball and Tennis.I am not training for boxing but think those are all good cardio fat burning things to do. :)

boxinginct
04-10-2006, 12:17 PM
Run, jump rope, calisthenics, and hit the bag. That will get you in shape.

RyanSpaulding
04-10-2006, 04:34 PM
So is it true you need an excess of calories to build muscle at all..and that it's WHAT the excess in calories is?

I have been trying to 'cut' and have switched to a shake replacement plan, however, these shakes only have about 10g protein each.

I'm trying to figure out if I can maintain my 1000-1500 cals per day AND gain muscle...or if thats a step later.

Rockin'
04-10-2006, 04:47 PM
Do alot of aerobic exercises. You need to burn the fat from your body. When I fought I was always low carbing while drinking lots of water to get rid of what ever fat remained.

If you boxed before then you still recall how to deliver shots and such. Shadowbox in your back yard. Start up your running and exercises and stuff.

Once you get into the gym you will burn that extra fat off fairly quickly if you work hard and bust your ass.

All you gotta do is really want it, go for it and you can achieve anything you want if your hearts really in it.

Rockin' :boxing:

RyanSpaulding
04-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Right, but can I still gain muscle by eating a certain way or will I just continually tone and get smaller, yet more fit?

Rockin'
04-10-2006, 04:56 PM
You dont need to gain muscle to fight. You need to build strength and more endurance in the muscle that you already have.

Rockin' :boxing:

THEBIZ
04-10-2006, 09:30 PM
To gain muscle you need an excess of calories to lose weight you need to be in caloric defecit so it is pretty much impossible to lose weight and make any real muscle gains at the same time. Just concentrate on getting in fighting shape add muscle later when you have the time.

yrrej
04-10-2006, 11:01 PM
Run..........

spinksjinx
04-11-2006, 01:06 AM
I like calisthenics, bag work not only heavy,golf, jump rope,swimming, running (hiit), basketball, tennis.

Basketball is great for footwork and Tennis is great for reflexes and keeps you sharp....Plus I noticed Tennis helps me a bit with my lateral movements in the ring....I also listed golf, I know some people will look at it as a joke. But to get myself mentally prepared before a fight I love to golf (I love to anyways)...It just keeps me mentally strong and if anybody bashes that obviously has never been on the course....Being mentally prepared is more than half the battle.

tebe6sm
04-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Do lots of anaerobic work too, such as sprints and hiit, as that creates fat burn long after the workout is done. Also do aerobic as neither is a substitute for the other.