View Full Version : How much power do gloves take off?

XionComrade
04-09-2006, 10:23 PM
I know that boxing gloves take away power from your punches alot.

So how much would you guys estimate 12oz. gloves take from your punches? :boxing:

I say half.

yrrej
04-09-2006, 10:54 PM
They take away the impact, not the power....

ferocity
04-09-2006, 11:13 PM
I've had team-mates hurt their hands when street fighting. If they had gloves they would have been able to devliver a more powerfull punch. You'd be surprised what it feels like to get hit with a glove.

Pugnacious_Z
04-10-2006, 03:22 AM
its not necceseraly the weight of the gloves, its the padding on it. the padding increae contact time which delivers your force alot gentler. it was tested on Frank Bruno, his punch was 33% weaker when he had gloves then with barefist

opethdrums
04-10-2006, 08:16 AM
the glove spreads out the impact and adds weight to the punch. dont think spreading out the impact makes it a whole lot easier on your brain, just means you dont have to worry about the knuckles breaking through the skull

fraidycat
04-10-2006, 11:32 AM
just means you dont have to worry about the knuckles breaking through the skull

Dude. There's a visual. :boxing:

IAMTHEGREATEST
04-10-2006, 11:42 AM
if any thing gloves take away from speed!

Kayo
04-10-2006, 08:26 PM
i'd rather hit someone with a glove then a bare fist....you hit someone on the top of the head with a barefist and you know why

tDeL999
04-10-2006, 08:33 PM
If youre talking about the first hit then bare fist definatly more dangerous, but after that you will subconciously hit weaker because your fist will hurt. So if youre gonna pump someone, gloves are better.

Verstyle
04-10-2006, 08:58 PM
it takes away from my speed since i use 16's which takes away some power.and the 1s i use for sparring dont fit my hands good ne way :mad:

opethdrums
04-12-2006, 02:42 AM
i tried some 10oz gloves today. it hurt too much to throw right hands but my left hooks sounded like bombs going off

Left2body
04-12-2006, 11:48 AM
I wonder how much of an impact MMA gloves have on power? I think it probably increases it because they tape there hands and then put that very small padded glove on. The hardness from the taping must outweight the padding from the glove. There also seem to be more one punch ko's than there were in the begining of MMA when they were bareknuckle.

I also remember in the very beginning UFC was a bareknuckle 1 night tournament and many fighters withdrew after wins due to injured or broken hands.

Rockin'
04-12-2006, 11:51 AM
Boxing gloves do not take away from the impact of the blow, atleast not enough to be considered.

The main reason for boxing gloves are first to protect the hands of the fighter and then to reduce the number of serious cuts.

Rockin' :boxing:

Kid Achilles
04-12-2006, 11:57 AM
Rockin is correct. Many people on this thread are confusing impact with power. Gloves soften impact and reduce the chance of being cut but they do not suppress the force of a punch.

Rockin'
04-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Rockin is correct. Many people on this thread are confusing impact with power. Gloves soften impact and reduce the chance of being cut but they do not suppress the force of a punch.

Kid Achilles is DA MAN!!!!

Rockin' :boxing:

6OVER6LORD6
04-12-2006, 02:07 PM
I wonder how much of an impact MMA gloves have on power? I think it probably increases it because they tape there hands and then put that very small padded glove on. The hardness from the taping must outweight the padding from the glove. There also seem to be more one punch ko's than there were in the begining of MMA when they were bareknuckle.

I also remember in the very beginning UFC was a bareknuckle 1 night tournament and many fighters withdrew after wins due to injured or broken hands.

the original UFC can't be ****ed with, it was beautiful. style for style. And as for more first round ko's........it's simple. Most of the guys that train in MMA do so cause it's the new "badass" sport. There's not alot of real talent in MMA. You got kids that learn a few moves but can't take a shot worth ****. Most fighters in MMA aren't fighters at all, they are bodies. They train to look good and feel like a badass, then get in there and swing for the fences, it's pathetic.

Manfredo Jr
04-12-2006, 02:25 PM
I know that boxing gloves take away power from your punches alot.

So how much would you guys estimate 12oz. gloves take from your punches? :boxing:

I say half.
lmao they take away no power lmao i cant beielve u even asked tht , all they do is pretty much stop you from damaging your hands

Left2body
04-12-2006, 05:54 PM
the original UFC can't be ****ed with, it was beautiful. style for style. And as for more first round ko's........it's simple. Most of the guys that train in MMA do so cause it's the new "badass" sport. There's not alot of real talent in MMA. You got kids that learn a few moves but can't take a shot worth ****. Most fighters in MMA aren't fighters at all, they are bodies. They train to look good and feel like a badass, then get in there and swing for the fences, it's pathetic.

I didnt mean 1st round KO's I meant 1 punch KO's. Yeah, it was really raw and showed that guys couldnt really concentrate on 1 discipline but had to cross train. If any style really came out as the best in the First UFC's it was brazilian jujitsu (sp). Anyway good stuff.

j
04-13-2006, 01:40 AM
hard for me to say. when i'm not using open ended MMA gloves i have 8 and 12 ounce boxing gloves. they do take a bit of speed off of your punches, but i feel the real advantage is that it's safer for your partner/opponent.

i don't worry about hurting my hands at all. they are basically hard enough to hit a person anywhere without me worrying about my hands. also, i've never hit anyone as hard as i could - i don't want to be sitting in jail for putting a guy into a coma. if you can break a 2 inch thick concrete block with your hand, it's best to be carefull how hard you punch a person.

j
04-13-2006, 01:50 AM
left2body, the main reason that the ufc was invented was to showcase bjj and make money off of it. it is known that, royce(i believe), was purposely given easier matches in earlier rounds to propel himself into the finals. as a result, he incurred less damage.

btw, i'm not trying to take anything away from him. he is a very skilled fighter, and is extremely dangerous on the ground. he would get murdered in a boxing match though. one reason why sakuraba beat 4 gracies(nearly back to back to back to back), is beacause sakuraba is as skilled on the ground as any of the gracies but has a better stand up game.

and i agree with everyone about the first 10 or so UFCs' - they were very fun to watch.

Larry Merchant
04-13-2006, 01:57 AM
gloves let you hit with more power...less chance of breaking bones ..they take away speed and they are easier to see the bright colors and size

j
04-13-2006, 02:02 AM
"Rockin is correct. Many people on this thread are confusing impact with power. Gloves soften impact and reduce the chance of being cut but they do not suppress the force of a punch."
-----------------

i have to disagree here. gloves soften the impact and thereby reduce the the amount of potential force that would be transferred from the fist to the target. gloves also reduce the advantages of having tough and hardened hands. if you've ever been hit by someone with fists that feel like they're iron, than you know what i'm talking about. having hardened hands will help you in boxing regardless, but the advantages dramitacilly increases with the gloves off.

Pugnacious_Z
04-13-2006, 02:35 AM
Gloves dont actually take away the force of a punch, they increase contact time so instead of 100kg of force tranfering to ur chin in .1 sec, it will take .2sec with gloves.

j
04-13-2006, 03:13 AM
actually there are a few ways gloves reduce the power behind your punch with gloves as compared to without then. just a few of 'em : gloves are bigger than the fist and therefor spread the force out to a larger surface making the punch have less penetration. someone mentioned increasing the contact time - this will take power out of "short force" strikes that require a faster snap back of the arm.

let me ask a question to people who have used 4 oz mma gloves and also 10 or 12+ oz boxing gloves. which one would you rather be hit with?

hemichromis
04-30-2006, 10:51 AM
gloves lower the speed of power transferance causing less damage
thats why in the street people are usually out after one punch or atleast so dazed they can barely stand from even the most amatuerish punch