View Full Version : hey, just want someone to put this rumor to rest.

juggernautburn
04-09-2006, 12:30 PM
is it easier to push more weight on a machine and harder to push with free weights? like say you are benching 200 pounds with free weights and doing a similar excercise with a machine (there is a machine in which you push forward to work your chest) with 200 pounds. will you be able to do more reps generally with the machine as opposed to weights?

fraidycat
04-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Generally, yes. Lifting free weights, you have to stabilize the load as well as lift it, so more muscle groups are brought into play using freeweights, muscles that aren't used as heavily on a machine simulating the same lift.

The benefit of machine training is that machines are designed to isolate a specific muscle or set of muscles, so if you have one muscle or muscle group you need to really work on, a machine will, generally, develop that particular muscle faster than freeweights.

supaduck
04-09-2006, 12:49 PM
No. The machine merely works your shoulders slightly harder than your chest.

supaduck
04-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Nope, the machine actually puts more strain on shoulders than chest than the proper bench press. You work two muscles whether doing bench press or machine press. Besides, if free weights brought more muscle groups into play, wouldn't that make it easier to press more?

fraidycat
04-09-2006, 01:14 PM
if free weights brought more muscle groups into play, wouldn't that make it easier to press more?

Yes and no. It depends on the lift, that's why I said, "generally."

Often, the other muscles that are brought into play are used for stabilizing the load, not lifting it. Your brain will not let you lift something that you can't stabilize. On a machine, your body senses that the load is stable, and you can concentrate on the working muscles, and therefore lift more than you could lift freeweight. This was the accepted science back when I was big into lifting, anyway -- ten years ago. I haven't read up on it since then, so maybe the prevailing science has changed.

Scottie2Hottie
04-09-2006, 03:05 PM
lifting with free weights increases your core strength since you have to use muscles to hold the bar straight. these muscles arent involved in the up and down benching, so it doesnt make it any easier to lift even though youre using more muscles.

MusclesMalone
04-09-2006, 03:25 PM
Yes and no. It depends on the lift, that's why I said, "generally."

Often, the other muscles that are brought into play are used for stabilizing the load, not lifting it. Your brain will not let you lift something that you can't stabilize. On a machine, your body senses that the load is stable, and you can concentrate on the working muscles, and therefore lift more than you could lift freeweight. This was the accepted science back when I was big into lifting, anyway -- ten years ago. I haven't read up on it since then, so maybe the prevailing science has changed.

your right.

XionComrade
04-09-2006, 09:26 PM
I had a machine that said I could bench 300lbs...I could really only do like 140...Do not use machines if you have a choice. They lie and are total crap in everyway. They are dominated by freeweights.

That goes for the total gym and expecially blowflex to... :( I hate them freeweights are the most effective by miles in every way.

yrrej
04-09-2006, 09:54 PM
I thought this was a boxing site. What the hell would a boxer know about the best way to lift weights? Ask Swarzenegger, a failed boxer but great weight lifter....

juggernautburn
04-09-2006, 10:44 PM
^this is not a question about the best way to lift weights, this was just to see if machines were easier to push than weights.

Southpaw16
04-10-2006, 01:59 AM
I had a machine that said I could bench 300lbs...I could really only do like 140...Do not use machines if you have a choice. They lie and are total crap in everyway. They are dominated by freeweights.

That goes for the total gym and expecially blowflex to... :( I hate them freeweights are the most effective by miles in every way.

Machines are usually easier, but not THAT much easier. I often use a machine to bench press simply because I don't work out with a spotter and I like to max out on my excersises. My machine amount is about 30 lbs heavier than what I can actually do.

supaduck
04-10-2006, 11:10 AM
Whether you can lift more in a machine or not they still build strength an equal amount to free weights.

Left2body
04-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Well never worked out for boxing but have for football and wrestling. Its been my expereince that you can bench more using machines than free weights. I also think its generally better to lift free weights due to balance and stabilizer muscles getting stronger.

Whenever those stablizers are used you can do less. Just look at the difference between bench pressing 250lbs with a straight bar and then try the same with dumb bells. You probably wont be able to put 115lbs on each hand because your stong arm is not compensating for the weaker one and because of the tremendous balance and strain on stabilizer muscle groups to perform that excercise.