View Full Version : why wasnt ali an entertaining fighter??and why did he run so much??

Verstyle
04-03-2006, 11:23 PM
gotta Butterfly1964 Ahahahaahhaa. Man I Got My Laugh For The Day.

Dempsey 1919
04-03-2006, 11:28 PM
he was more entertaining than your boy tyson, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

Verstyle
04-03-2006, 11:31 PM
he was more entertaining than your boy tyson, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

i knew u would post. although ali was exciting. and no not more exciting then tyson. we can even have a 100million point bet on it threw a poll. :cool:

Verstyle
04-03-2006, 11:34 PM
and i see u got your ali sense going. spider man dont got nuttin on uhttp://www.odessatradegroup.com/files/spider9_jpg.JPG. your ali senses r uncanny to say the least

Hydro
04-03-2006, 11:35 PM
Ali more exciting than Tyson?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ali was boring to watch. Frazier 1 and 3, Foreman more or less, Spinks 1 (when he was shot) are the exceptions. Tyson wasn't one of the greatest fighters ever like Ali was, but he sure was more fun to watch.

blockhead
04-03-2006, 11:36 PM
and i see u got your ali sense going. spider man dont got nuttin on uhttp://www.odessatradegroup.com/files/spider9_jpg.JPG. your ali senses r uncanny to say the least
yup, buttflies arse started to tingle as soon as you started this thread. he looked up and sniffed and said, "i think i smell the coin purse of theee greatest"

Verstyle
04-03-2006, 11:40 PM
yup, buttflies arse started to tingle as soon as you started this thread. he looked up and sniffed and said, "i think i smell the coin purse of theee greatest"

u know it :D .and anything talkin positive about rocky he comes out with his sense also. its like batman swooping from the dark sky

Dempsey 1919
04-03-2006, 11:40 PM

you sure like to follow me around and flame me, don't you?

Verstyle
04-03-2006, 11:41 PM
so whats up with the poll butterfly. r u game for it :cool: :boxing:

blockhead
04-03-2006, 11:42 PM
you sure like to follow me around and flame me, don't you?
yes i do, and you deserve it every time. your the biggest most biased nuthugger on this forum and you deserve all the flames you get you ****in nutsack.

Dempsey 1919
04-03-2006, 11:46 PM
yes i do, and you deserve it every time. your the biggest most biased nuthugger on this forum and you deserve all the flames you get you ****in nutsack.

you got real problems.

blockhead
04-03-2006, 11:48 PM
you got real problems.
the pot calling the kettle black eh.

Dempsey 1919
04-03-2006, 11:48 PM
so whats up with the poll butterfly. r u game for it :cool: :boxing:

i don't have a hundred million points.

Dempsey 1919
04-03-2006, 11:49 PM
the pot calling the kettle black eh.

at least i don't follow people around flaming them like i'm obsessed with them or something.

Verstyle
04-03-2006, 11:53 PM
i don't have a hundred million points.

k 50million

dansweeney
04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
hey, the guy can love ali, and that's fine. but bashing every rocky thread is a little much.

personally i prefer Frazier over Ali, but that's just me.

Dempsey 1919
04-03-2006, 11:58 PM
k 50million

ok. but you've got to be specific. ali and tyson in their primes, not ali in the late 70's or some stupid **** like that. agreed?

dansweeney
04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
ok. but you've got to be specific. ali and tyson in their primes, not ali in the late 70's or some stupid **** like that. agreed?

your gonna lose this one man. Ali was the man, but i don't know if there ever was or will be a heavyweight fighter that will be as exciting as Tyson in his prime. nobody came to tear your head off like that. there's no comparison in THIS category

Dempsey 1919
04-04-2006, 12:05 AM
your gonna lose this one man. Ali was the man, but i don't know if there ever was or will be a heavyweight fighter that will be as exciting as Tyson in his prime. nobody came to tear your head off like that. there's no comparison in THIS category

all the **** ali talked in his prime made him more exciting than tyson ever was.

Verstyle
04-04-2006, 12:08 AM

agreed. heheehe :D

dansweeney
04-04-2006, 12:10 AM
all the **** ali talked in his prime made him more exciting than tyson ever was.

i thought you guys were talking about in ring performances, like who got you more excited in the ring. in terms of talking and media stuff Ali transcended sports and is the reason all these fighters talk **** now, ill bet tarver watches interview tapes of ali all the time, he's always talking.

Verstyle
04-04-2006, 12:38 AM
i thought you guys were talking about in ring performances, like who got you more excited in the ring. in terms of talking and media stuff Ali transcended sports and is the reason all these fighters talk **** now, ill bet tarver watches interview tapes of ali all the time, he's always talking.

he should know what i mean. cause if he uses outside ring performance, obviously it will be ali by along shot. but alot of ppl know tyson but its for the ear thing. i asked the girl im talkin to know(that also boxes) what do u know about tyson? and she said he was an ear bitter and a rapist. i was at ahhhhhh. and i was like u serious. but now im craming her brain with nuttin but tyson i keep tellin her to watch this and that this and that. and tellin her about how he came the youngest champ and all that ****

mokele
04-05-2006, 02:58 AM
Ali had the best legs we've ever seen in the heavyweight division, hands down. That being the case, why should we have expected him to ignore that fact and stand flat-footed against hard punchers? That would have been stupid. For those who know a little about baseball, it would have been comparable to asking Rod Carew, George Brett, Wade Boggs or Tony Guinn to quit hitting singles and instead swing as hard as they could all the time in an attempt to hit home runs.

My problem with Ali was never that he boxed and moved but that he never fought on the inside until he was in his mid 30s and his legs were gone, and in addition, that he often clinched or held behind the head whenever an opponent got close or trapped Ali in a corner or against the ropes. From my point of view, a fighter is not very exciting unless he's willing to stand inside and use both offensive skills as well as defensive ones other than just tying up an opponent. It's a lot harder and more demanding to defend against an opponent whose arms are free.

Da Iceman
04-05-2006, 08:39 AM
ali was extremely boring for me except vs frazier and foreman. tyson has way more thrilling fights then ali.

smasher
04-05-2006, 10:29 AM
ali was extremely boring for me except vs frazier and foreman. tyson has way more thrilling fights then ali.Ring Magazine voted 6 of Ali's fights FIGHT OF THE YEAR

Ring Magazine voted 1 of Tyson's fights FIGHT OF THE YEAR (Loss against Holyfield I)

For those posters too young to have experienced closed circuit, an Ali fight had high drama and because of his high calibre competition there was often the expectancy of a competitive fight, while Tyson's fights were usually predictable blow-outs against unproven opponents who were scared. The only closed circuit Tyson fight I wasted my money on was Tyson-Spinks. This pitted two undefeated fighters with legitimate claims to the heavyweight championship and the media tried to con the public by drawing a parallel with Frazier-Ali I.

Unfortunately there wasn't near the excitement for that fight as there was for even Hagler-Hearns or Leonard-Hagler much less Ali-Foreman or Ali-Frazier I....

Yaman
04-05-2006, 10:49 AM
Ring Magazine is not the choice of the people. Who gives a dam about some old guys who would pick Ali on ANYTHING because they ride his dick. Most people would rather want to see Tyson or any KO artist instead of Ali. Fact is, Ali was entertaining only when he could dance, and i don't think it was all that great with it. When he was washed up, everybody fell asleep in his fights.

smasher
04-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Ring Magazine is not the choice of the people. Who gives a dam about some old guys who would pick Ali on ANYTHING because they ride his dick. Most people would rather want to see Tyson or any KO artist instead of Ali. Fact is, Ali was entertaining only when he could dance, and i don't think it was all that great with it. When he was washed up, everybody fell asleep in his fights.If seeing one guy predictably blow-out another qualifies as exciting then you might as well say Tommy Morrison or Gerry Cooney was more exciting than Ali.

Watching a fight live and years later on video is not the same. There was not alot of excitement in Tyson's fights. They were mostly blow-outs. The guys that actually fought back beat Tyson. Other than Ruddock II any real competitive fight Tyson had he lost. Of course seeing Tyson getting KO'd would certainly qualify as exciting by your standards I guess...

Verstyle
04-05-2006, 12:28 PM
Ring Magazine voted 6 of Ali's fights FIGHT OF THE YEAR

Ring Magazine voted 1 of Tyson's fights FIGHT OF THE YEAR (Loss against Holyfield I)

For those posters too young to have experienced closed circuit, an Ali fight had high drama and because of his high calibre competition there was often the expectancy of a competitive fight, while Tyson's fights were usually predictable blow-outs against unproven opponents who were scared. The only closed circuit Tyson fight I wasted my money on was Tyson-Spinks. This pitted two undefeated fighters with legitimate claims to the heavyweight championship and the media tried to con the public by drawing a parallel with Frazier-Ali I.

Unfortunately there wasn't near the excitement for that fight as there was for even Hagler-Hearns or Leonard-Hagler much less Ali-Foreman or Ali-Frazier I....

ring mag can kiss my ass. but ne way in primes how many great fighters did he fight? cause he didnt fight frazier in his prime,nor did he fight george,shavers or ne 1 of those. and how many ass being put in the boxing seats also proves who was more exciting

Verstyle
04-05-2006, 12:30 PM
If seeing one guy predictably blow-out another qualifies as exciting then you might as well say Tommy Morrison or Gerry Cooney was more exciting than Ali.

Watching a fight live and years later on video is not the same. There was not alot of excitement in Tyson's fights. They were mostly blow-outs. The guys that actually fought back beat Tyson. Other than Ruddock II any real competitive fight Tyson had he lost. Of course seeing Tyson getting KO'd would certainly qualify as exciting by your standards I guess...

im only 21 ans ive seen all of tyson fights in the 80s on video and i still think he's exciting. the only fight i watched on ppv was holyfield 1 and mcbride

smasher
04-05-2006, 12:38 PM
ring mag can kiss my ass. but ne way in primes how many great fighters did he fight? cause he didnt fight frazier in his prime,nor did he fight george,shavers or ne 1 of those. and how many ass being put in the boxing seats also proves who was more excitingThe fact that Ring's FIGHT OF THE YEAR is usually voted on by a substantial number of KNOWLEDGEABLE people in the boxing world it means a hell of a lot.

The very fact that Tyson had huge numbers for a fight against Peter McNeeley demonstrates the intellectual deficiencies of that sectre of the buying public who likely piss away their expendable income on The Best Of Monster Truck DVD's and Girls Gone Wild videos...

Verstyle
04-05-2006, 12:41 PM
The fact that Ring's FIGHT OF THE YEAR is usually voted on by a substantial number of KNOWLEDGEABLE people in the boxing world it means a hell of a lot.

The very fact that Tyson had huge numbers for a fight against Peter McNeeley demonstrates the intellectual deficiencies of that sectre of the buying public who likely piss away their expendable income on The Best Of Monster Truck DVD's and Girls Gone Wild videos...

hey ppv's and ticket sales and purses dont lie :)

smasher
04-05-2006, 12:55 PM
hey ppv's and ticket sales and purses dont lie :)
It all depends on what constitutes excitement to you. Pesonally I don't get excited watching a guy get steamrolled. I was pretty pissed wasting my money on the Spinks-Tyson non-fight.

I prefer an action fight featuring TWO WILLING AND SKILLFUL combatants. Give me an Ali-Frazier fight instead of Tyson-Williams or Tyson-Bruno anyday.

Dempsey 1919
04-05-2006, 01:00 PM
ring mag can kiss my ass. but ne way in primes how many great fighters did he fight? cause he didnt fight frazier in his prime,nor did he fight george,shavers or ne 1 of those. and how many ass being put in the boxing seats also proves who was more exciting

ali drew more corwds than anyone. :cool:

Verstyle
04-05-2006, 01:03 PM

show me some proof :cool: and i'll give u half your money back.

RockyMarcianofan00
04-05-2006, 01:03 PM
in the 70's yes
in the 60's he was one of the most hated fighters of all time

when i was watching the Superfight they were talking about Ali at the beginning of his career, and Dundee (of somebody he was with at the time) asked how can we bring more sales in?

and Ali said i got it i got it, and he was smiling

he said "you could have me kidnapped"

so he wasn't always the most popular fighter but in the 70's he drew in crowds

especially
Ali-Frazier I,II,III
Ali-Foreman
etc

Dempsey 1919
04-05-2006, 01:05 PM
in the 70's yes
in the 60's he was one of the most hated fighters of all time

uhmmm, and that's why he sold seats. so they could watch him get knocked out. :rolleyes:

Verstyle
04-05-2006, 01:05 PM
It all depends on what constitutes excitement to you. Pesonally I don't get excited watching a guy get steamrolled. I was pretty pissed wasting my money on the Spinks-Tyson non-fight.

I prefer an action fight featuring TWO WILLING AND SKILLFUL combatants. Give me an Ali-Frazier fight instead of Tyson-Williams or Tyson-Bruno anyday.

sooooooooo in other words u like decisions. u really dont like ppl to get knocked out cause u dont wanna waste your money? is this right. but yeah i give it to ya i know alot of ppl that were pissed when tyson ended the fight's quick and they lost 50 bucks in the matter of 6 minutes.ahahaha. but all i gotta say is u know what he does. he tries to take off heads as quickly as possible. its jus a risk i guess

Hydro
04-05-2006, 03:37 PM
The fact that Ring's FIGHT OF THE YEAR is usually voted on by a substantial number of KNOWLEDGEABLE people in the boxing world it means a hell of a lot.

THE RING USED TO CHOOSE FIGHT OF THE YEAR BASED MORE ON EVENTS AND SIGNIFICANCE RATHER THAN HOW GOOD OF A FIGHT IT ACTUALLY WAS. THEN THEY RECENTLY STARTED TO PICK MORE FIGHTS OF THE YEAR BASED ON HOW GOOD THE FIGHT IS, EVEN THOUGH THEY STILL HAVE SOME CRAPPY CHOICES.

THEY PICKED ALI AS FIGHTER OF THE YEAR IN 1978 BECAUSE HE BECAME THE 1ST TO WIN THE HW TITLE 3 TIMES, BUT IN ORDER TO DO SO, HE HAD TO LOSE TO AN INVISALIGN NEEDING, COCAINE ADDICT WITH 7 PRO FIGHTS.

smasher
04-05-2006, 04:28 PM
THE RING USED TO CHOOSE FIGHT OF THE YEAR BASED MORE ON EVENTS AND SIGNIFICANCE RATHER THAN HOW GOOD OF A FIGHT IT ACTUALLY WAS.
CLAY-JONES
CLAY-LISTON
FRAZIER-ALI
ALI-FOREMAN
ALI-FRAZIER III
SPINKS-ALI

I don't know what your issue is with these choices. CLAY-JONES AND CLAY-LISTON bore little significance at the time they were fought. In '78 the runner-up HOLMES-NORTON would have been my choice but the other 5 fights were deserved of fight of the year. Both Ali-Frazier fights are often regarded as top 10 fights of all times while I have seen Frazier-Ali listed as the greatest fight of all time. Are you suggesting these fights were not good enough to be voted on as fight of the year?

smasher
04-05-2006, 04:37 PM
sooooooooo in other words u like decisions. u really dont like ppl to get knocked out cause u dont wanna waste your money? is this right.
No it's wrong.

Hagler-Hearns was a fight. Pryor-Arguello I was a fight. Leonard-Hearns I was a fight. I had no problem paying money for these because these were actual fights with two willing and capable fighters.

Tyson-Williams was not. Tyson-Berbick was not. Tyson-Tubbs was not. Tyson-Spinks was not. Do you get it?

Verstyle
04-05-2006, 04:40 PM
[QUOTE=smasher]No it's wrong.

Hagler-Hearns was a fight. Pryor-Arguello I was a fight. Leonard-Hearns I was a fight. I had no problem paying money for these because these were actual fights with two willing and capable fighters.

Tyson-Williams was not. Tyson-Berbick was not. Tyson-Tubbs was not. Tyson-Spinks was not. Do you get it?[/QUOTE

yeah i get it. but hey u cant blame tyson for those :D

Hydro
04-05-2006, 04:41 PM
CLAY-JONES
CLAY-LISTON
FRAZIER-ALI
ALI-FOREMAN
ALI-FRAZIER III
SPINKS-ALI

I don't know what your issue is with these choices. CLAY-JONES AND CLAY-LISTON bore little significance at the time they were fought. In '78 the runner-up HOLMES-NORTON would have been my choice but the other 5 fights were deserved of fight of the year. Both Ali-Frazier fights are often regarded as top 10 fights of all times while I have seen Frazier-Ali listed as the greatest fight of all time. Are you suggesting these fights were not good enough to be voted on as fight of the year?

Clay-Liston bore little significance?

:confused: :confused:

It was only a changing of the heavyweight title, and one of the biggest upsets in boxing history.

Clay-Jones wasn't really that good of a fight, but it also wasn't a huge fight. Don't know why they chose that one. Ali-Liston wasn't that good of a fighter either. Unless 1963 and 1964 absolutely SUCKED in terms of good action fights, they were not deserving of fights of the year

Look at some of their other choices:

Fights of the Year:

1973: George Foreman KO2 Joe Frazier
1977: Jimmy Young W12 George Foreman

Rounds of the Year:

1952: Marciano-Walcott, 13
1957: Robinson-Fullmer, 5
1959: Johansson-Patterson, 3
1960: Patterson-Johansson, 5
1968: Foster-Tiger, 4
1973: Foreman-Frazier, 2
1988: Tyson-Spinks, 1

Actually what I said earlier applies more to Rounds of the Year more than Fights of the Year. My mistake. But those first two choices for Clay/Ali fights were not very good fights.

smasher
04-05-2006, 04:48 PM
Clay-Liston bore little significance?
No one knew at the time it was voted on how much significance it would hold as Clay's win seemed more a fluke and Liston was still the betting favourite in the rematch.

At fight time the betting odds favoured Liston 7-1 not much different than the 6-1 fight time betting odds on Holyfield-Tyson I which I don't consider that big of an upset. Clay's upset was nowhere near as big as Douglas-Tyson or even Schmeling-Louis for that matter.

smasher
04-05-2006, 04:51 PM
u cant blame tyson for those :D
I don't. I blame it on his opponents who were often like a deer in the headlights.

Yaman
04-05-2006, 04:54 PM
No it's wrong.

Tyson-Williams was not. Tyson-Berbick was not. Tyson-Tubbs was not. Tyson-Spinks was not. Do you get it?

Any Tyson KO fight was more exciting than any one of Ali's. You just can't accept it like every Ali fan.
Tyson vs Ruddock 1 is the best fight ever imo.

Verstyle
04-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Any Tyson KO fight was more exciting than any one of Ali's. You just can't accept it like every Ali fan.

that was a really god fight. u saw glimpses of the 80s tyson also. even the commentators commented on it

Dempsey 1919
04-05-2006, 04:57 PM

yeah, i guess that's why three of ali's fights are in the top ten, huh?

Hydro
04-05-2006, 04:57 PM
No one knew at the time it was voted on how much significance it would hold as Clay's win seemed more a fluke and Liston was still the betting favourite in the rematch.

At fight time the betting odds favoured Liston 7-1 not much different than the 6-1 fight time betting odds on Holyfield-Tyson I which I don't consider that big of an upset. Clay's upset was nowhere near as big as Douglas-Tyson or even Schmeling-Louis for that matter.

The fight was average at best. The action wasn't very good.

Anytime the heavyweight title changes (especially in the 1960s), it has a HUGE significance in boxing.

And it was a big upset. People thought Liston was some monster that would reign for a long time. So what if Douglas-Tyson was bigger? Douglas-Tyson is the biggest upset in boxing history. Clay-Liston was still a big, big upset, regardless if some others were bigger.

Yaman
04-05-2006, 05:00 PM
yeah, i guess that's why three of ali's fights are in the top ten, huh?

Listed by old guys.
**** listed fights. More people came to see Tyson and that is an undisputable fact!!

Verstyle
04-05-2006, 05:04 PM
man guys i made this thread jus as a gag. no need to argue.geeeeeeeeeeez :)

smasher
04-05-2006, 05:05 PM
And it was a big upset. People thought Liston was some monster that would reign for a long time. So what if Douglas-Tyson was bigger? Douglas-Tyson is the biggest upset in boxing history. Clay-Liston was still a big, big upset, regardless if some others were bigger.
I'm not saying it wasn't a big upset at the time, but knowing now what Ali would become and what direction Liston would go afterwards, it wasn't that much of an upset. Ali was under-estimated and Liston was over-estimated which in part explains the 7-1 odds.

Dempsey 1919
04-05-2006, 05:11 PM
Listed by old guys.
**** listed fights. More people came to see Tyson and that is an undisputable fact!!

yeah, old guys who knew their boxing. :rolleyes:

and people came to see ali in his day as well. so, what's your point.

smasher
04-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Are you the first member of your ancestors to walk upright? You lend credence to Darwin's theory.

Verstyle
04-05-2006, 05:19 PM
Are you the first member of your ancestors to walk upright? You lend credence to Darwin's theory.

u gotta remember its his opinion u cant take opinions away from ppl. i thought it was an entertaining fight. i watch the fight literally everyday although its not my favorite fight. but i tend to watch 80s tyson everyday. i guess i gotta problem its a habit. :o

Yaman
04-05-2006, 05:27 PM

I dont give a rats ass about Darwin. Neither about your opinion on exciting fights.

Tyson fights > Ali fights

Dempsey 1919
04-05-2006, 05:45 PM
I dont give a rats ass about Darwin. Neither about your opinion on exciting fights.

Tyson fights > Ali fights

frazier(ali's first loss) > douglass(tyson's first loss)

:D :D

tommyhearns804
04-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Ali ran so much because he was weak and had a ****ty chin.That is why guys who only weighed about 180 pounds like Doug Jones and Henry Cooper almost knocked him out with one punch.
When he started fighting real fighters who weighed over 200 pounds like Frazier,Norton,Foreman ect ect ect the man just grabbed and held hoping they would get tired.
This is also why Ali is highly overrated.When he stepped up and fought the big boys he always lost or lost and got a gift win because he kissed up to the white media more than any other fighter white or black at the time.
His only win against anybody worth mentioning was the fluke Foreman fight.Not only was he lucky to win but he was lucky he didnt get hurt.And you may say well he beat Norton and Frazier but you would be wrong.Norton beat Ali every time they fought and just got robbed 2 times and Frazier was done after Foreman destroyed his career.When they both were at their best Frazier beat him.
Ali and Holmes was the most boring champions ever.Watch Ruiz fight is ever most exciting than watching Ali.Fighters like Ali could never be fun to watch.Only a fighter willing to take a punch to land a punch can be entertaining.Not some guy who hugged and ran when ever he faced a real challenge like Ali did.

Dempsey 1919
04-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Ali ran so much because he was weak and had a ****ty chin.That is why guys who only weighed about 180 pounds like Doug Jones and Henry Cooper almost knocked him out with one punch.
When he started fighting real fighters who weighed over 200 pounds like Frazier,Norton,Foreman ect ect ect the man just grabbed and held hoping they would get tired.
This is also why Ali is highly overrated.When he stepped up and fought the big boys he always lost or lost and got a gift win because he kissed up to the white media more than any other fighter white or black at the time.
His only win against anybody worth mentioning was the fluke Foreman fight.Not only was he lucky to win but he was lucky he didnt get hurt.And you may say well he beat Norton and Frazier but you would be wrong.Norton beat Ali every time they fought and just got robbed 2 times and Frazier was done after Foreman destroyed his career.When they both were at their best Frazier beat him.
Ali and Holmes was the most boring champions ever.Watch Ruiz fight is ever most exciting than watching Ali.Fighters like Ali could never be fun to watch.Only a fighter willing to take a punch to land a punch can be entertaining.Not some guy who hugged and ran when ever he faced a real challenge like Ali did.

you're still mad because of rumble in the jungle, huh? please, that fight was no fluke, and if ali was in his prime it would have been worse. live with it. :D

sleazyfellow
04-05-2006, 09:43 PM

weak chin?? lol thats all i gotta say, he took alot of good shots and stayed on his feet.