View Full Version : A good chin has to be devoloped or naturally given to you?

hectari
01-28-2005, 11:19 PM
I heard differnt views but when a person starts fighting young and is used to taking punches on the faced and jaw they devolop a chin and get used to getting hit, a boxer has a better chin then your average person, but do you think having a great chin is a gift or does it come from taking punches in training and getting adjusted to it at an early age?

Roy jones never got hit clean and was never used to getting hit on the chin and when he did he got knocked out like a ragdoll I believe cause his chin was never tested or used to getting hit.

boxer2k5
01-28-2005, 11:42 PM
I heard differnt views but when a person starts fighting young and is used to taking punches on the faced and jaw they devolop a chin and get used to getting hit, a boxer has a better chin then your average person, but do you think having a great chin is a gift or does it come from taking punches in training and getting adjusted to it at an early age?

Roy jones never got hit clean and was never used to getting hit on the chin and when he did he got knocked out like a ragdoll I believe cause his chin was never tested or used to getting hit.
roy jones was hit clean a bunch of times in his career

youc ant devlope a chin because it has nothign to dow ith the chin

its how your brain react to the punches
i know my trainer gives us an excercise where it helps us prepare for getting hits
and to be able to box with shaky dizzy legs

but if you are hti and your brain shuts off(lose contiousness) its nothign you can do

people like mayaorga and gatti take hits because they can see the hits
they have no defense so they are more willing to trade and take hits instead of bob and weave

when you can see the hits your brain can prepare its body for impact and thus you take the hit better than if you didnt see the punch comming

its liek being in a car and you know yoru about to crash you hit the brakes
but if you dont see the crash comming you wind up more damaged than if you braced yourself

so yes you can prepare to take a punch but you cant train youself to have a chin

it has nothing to do with the chin its all about the way the brain reacts
and how the person was punched

the first time roy got hit he was hit flush on his chin that wasnt tucked and was fully exposed
he took the full impact and his brain was moved from side to side

in the johnson fight he got hit in the temple and also took much damage and shots through out the whole fight
so sooner or later the tree was going to fall

hectari
01-29-2005, 12:26 AM
roy jones was hit clean a bunch of times in his career

youc ant devlope a chin because it has nothign to dow ith the chin

its how your brain react to the punches
i know my trainer gives us an excercise where it helps us prepare for getting hits
and to be able to box with shaky dizzy legs

but if you are hti and your brain shuts off(lose contiousness) its nothign you can do

people like mayaorga and gatti take hits because they can see the hits
they have no defense so they are more willing to trade and take hits instead of bob and weave

when you can see the hits your brain can prepare its body for impact and thus you take the hit better than if you didnt see the punch comming

its liek being in a car and you know yoru about to crash you hit the brakes
but if you dont see the crash comming you wind up more damaged than if you braced yourself

so yes you can prepare to take a punch but you cant train youself to have a chin

it has nothing to do with the chin its all about the way the brain reacts
and how the person was punched

the first time roy got hit he was hit flush on his chin that wasnt tucked and was fully exposed
he took the full impact and his brain was moved from side to side

in the johnson fight he got hit in the temple and also took much damage and shots through out the whole fight
so sooner or later the tree was going to fall

Damn! thanks man. That is true about the punch you cant see coming hurts more, but how come fighters can get up from such brutal knock downs like larry holmes when shavers landed that punch, or juan manuel marquez vs pacman?

m00ks
01-29-2005, 01:00 PM
Damn! thanks man. That is true about the punch you cant see coming hurts more, but how come fighters can get up from such brutal knock downs like larry holmes when shavers landed that punch, or juan manuel marquez vs pacman?

Sheer will.

marvelous_TG
01-29-2005, 01:45 PM
It's a natural think but you can work on it by devolping a strong neck like tyson, holyfield.

pug1986
01-29-2005, 02:24 PM
also, when mayorga takes shots, he keeps his chin tucked in, that has alot to do with it.

Floydmayweather
01-29-2005, 04:05 PM
Its a combination of things will power, neck strengh, and some guys just take shots better because of bone structure. If u dont see a punch coming it does seem to hurt alot more.

johndavi
01-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Its a combination of things will power, neck strengh, and some guys just take shots better because of bone structure. If u dont see a punch coming it does seem to hurt alot more.

I agree Floyd, but believe the ability to take a good punch is "mostly" biological. Some fella's are just born that way for whatever physical reason, whether it be bone structure, jaw thickness, neck muscle structure, nerve insulation or various combinations of all the above. Bottom line, some fighters take better punches than others.

I always felt if we could have a fighter with Tysons ferocity, Holmes left jab, Shavers right hand, Ali's footwork, PBF's dazling hand speed, Morrisons left hook and Tex Cobbs chin, well . . . you get the idea (-;

jack_the_rippuh
01-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Boxing would be a pretty boring sport..

TysonForeman
01-29-2005, 09:24 PM
LOL, that's a good comment by Jack. It's fun to think about "Ultimate Boxer" type guys, but if a guy was indestructible and could knock out anyone with 1 punch, his fights would be INSANELY boring. You can only see so many 5 second fights before it gets boring, and if a guy had Cobb's chin, Ali's speed, Shaver's Punch, and Tyson's aggression, then every fight would be over in 10 seconds at the most.

hectari
01-29-2005, 09:30 PM
alot of guys with no power have tremendous chins in the lighter divisions.

leff
01-29-2005, 10:35 PM
very good question which we often discuss at the gym but cant agree, some say your born with a chin and cant change it and some say you get used to it so you cantake more punishment.

i can sure take better shots than when i started but is because my chin is better ore is it because i see the punches and my neck is stronger than it used too be.

Eken
02-01-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't think it's all about physical attributes. Some guys tend to be more willing to fight after they get hit than others. Fighting spririt matters too!

boxer2k5
02-01-2005, 04:45 PM
its not about it hurting more its about how your brain deals with it

and some punches look harder than others but there is no way to jsut judge them by watchign them on tv

some people dont get up some do
sometimes your knocked unconsious
sometimes you can get up but jsut dont want to

its alot of factors
that come into play besides the punch or chin

its how the brain reacts and hwo the boxer
reacts to getting hit

also strong legs is a big factor
tyson can take much punishment because
he has such thick strong legs

also not many punches hit him flush on his chin where
his heads is moved side to side

its alot of things that come into play
its liek lightning never strikes in the same place
twice
so its hard to compare one punch to another
thrown and landed by different fighters

boxer2k5
02-01-2005, 04:48 PM

it doesnt hurt more as in pain but it
has a bigger reaction

if you see a punch comming not only you but your brain can prepare the body for impact

if its the same exact punch(power velocity0
and you didnt see it commign
you will feel the same pain but also you or your brain wasnt able to prepare your body for impact

thats where those shaky legs come in
or knockdown or knockout

you wasnt able to brace your legs or body for impact
and your brain wasnt prepared as well

Slipx
02-09-2005, 10:18 PM
brain acceleration is what causes the loss of consciousness, so strengthening the neck and seeing the punch coming should in turn improve your chin.

i dont know for sure though, because ive never been on the canvas, nor have i trained my neck. hehe.

tino
02-11-2005, 01:27 PM
i fought at lightweight during most of my amateur carreer , but i went back to the gym as MW a few years ago and i noticed that the aded weight had made my chin better , so did stronger legs .

notice that that lean and skinny guys can punch most of the time but have shaky chin.

boxernyc
02-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Another thing that may lead to the chin as a genetic asset is that thickness of your skull is a prime factor. I've heard Chavez has an extra quarter inch or something like that of thickness around his skull.

TysonForeman
02-11-2005, 02:08 PM
I think a ton of boxing and any other sport (and life in general) has to do with natural talent. Some people are just better than others at certain things. You probably can make your chin a little better, but you're never going to be Hagler or Chuvalo with being gifted with a stone chin. Just like you can probably improve you're power, but Foreman and Hearns are powerful because they have that specific talent.

People want to think that it's all about how hard you work, and that does play a big role, but natural talent also plays a HUGE role.

Kid Achilles
02-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Chin is largely a product of a fighter's physical makeup, unfortunately. Remember Oliver McCall against Lewis in their rematch? Oliver did NOT want to fight, he was obviously in the middle of a mental breakdown, and yet when Lewis tagged him with a few good shots he did not even seem phased. At that point in the fight, he had zero heart and will and yet he was completely unaffected by Lewis's shots. That's what an iron chin will do for you.

Tha Greatest
02-16-2005, 05:48 PM
i fought at lightweight during most of my amateur carreer , but i went back to the gym as MW a few years ago and i noticed that the aded weight had made my chin better , so did stronger legs .

notice that that lean and skinny guys can punch most of the time but have shaky chin.

even though i HATE MORALES, he has a awesome chin, and look how skinny he is lol.

Marvelous Marvin Hagler and Jake LaMotta got the best chins ever!