View Full Version : When should you start to train in boxing?

hectari
01-28-2005, 09:11 PM
I heard in order to be the best fighter you have to train fighters from a very young age like 6 years old, so that they have better reflexes and it becomes natural to them just like riding a bike.

But when is it to late to start learning to box? I heard rocky marciano started fighting professional when he was 21! and that guy nate campbell started at 27??I heard kermit cintron just started boxing when he was 19.

is it possible or do you have to train young?

can you name some late starters?

cms
01-28-2005, 09:41 PM
I heard in order to be the best fighter you have to train fighters from a very young age like 6 years old, so that they have better reflexes and it becomes natural to them just like riding a bike.

But when is it to late to start learning to box? I heard rocky marciano started fighting professional when he was 21! and that guy nate campbell started at 27??I heard kermit cintron just started boxing when he was 19.

is it possible or do you have to train young?

can you name some late starters?
umm ali started when he was 12, if you consider that late, and i started when i was 11 :D lol

hectari
01-28-2005, 10:02 PM
umm ali started when he was 12, if you consider that late, and i started when i was 11 :D lol

^naw that is early! I think that is a good time to train. but what about when you start later does it affect your reflexes?

ShotgunSeanK
01-28-2005, 10:03 PM
it's never too late. if george foreman won the world title at 45, anything's possible.

Raekwon
01-28-2005, 10:24 PM
thing is u can be **** at boxing and start at 6 yrs old train for years but not become great, or you might never train boxing till your teens, start up and find out that your a great talent, trainng helps but natural talent comes into it big time, also commitment, desire and hard work help as well as a good technical mind :p

boxer2k5
01-28-2005, 10:36 PM
thers no late or early time

its jsut the right time

you migth start young but at a young age yoru nto able to assorb all the knowledge because your nto yet able to comprehend and communicate was if you was a early adult

but if you start late you can learn fast but your also racign against time

its better to catch as early as possible but getting them late doesnt mean they have no chance
being that they are older it means they are in the gym because they want to be there not because their parents signed them up

its because they want to be there and they know hwo to push themselves and arent knuckleheads like the little kdis

the odler guys see the other experienced guys and want to be at that level
they know they started late so there isnt any time for games

they are able to communicate with their trainer better as well

jack_the_rippuh
01-28-2005, 10:48 PM
Jameel McCline started really late, also, but he sucks..

rsl
01-28-2005, 10:48 PM

its jsut the right time

you migth start young but at a young age yoru nto able to assorb all the knowledge because your nto yet able to comprehend and communicate was if you was a early adult

its better to catch as early as possible but getting them late doesnt mean they have no chance
being that they are older it means they are in the gym because they want to be there not because their parents signed them up

its because they want to be there and they know hwo to push themselves and arent knuckleheads like the little kdis

" There's no early or late time, just the right time " I somewhat agree, it also depends on how far do you wanna go in the sport, if one is serious then I think the earlier the better, I use to be an assistant trainer and w/ my own personal experience kids and teenagers generally pick it up alot faster than adults(strongest indicator is an individual's athletic ability).... Some have already posted and made an example of George Foreman, which doesn't make any sense at all, Foreman has been boxing way back when.... He didn't have to start from scratch.

puppy_dogg
01-28-2005, 10:53 PM
its a scientific fact that children learn things faster than adults anyway because they dont have to worry about life, bills, family etc. earlier the better but i agree with the comment about natural talent, part of you has to be a natural fighter if your gonna be the best

hectari
01-28-2005, 11:29 PM

its jsut the right time

Cause if you hear how denzel and robert de niro trained for a year to protray fighters but the trainers said they trained them to fight in real fights.

Atwa_66
01-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Jameel McCline started really late, also, but he sucks..
hahaha really, it shows

Tha Greatest
01-30-2005, 03:13 PM
Holyfield got a late start
Hopkins got a late start but they were reqally good

boxer2k5
01-30-2005, 04:50 PM
thats not true im 22 and i have bills and a job

and i learn faster than the kids at my gym

its not a fact

it depends on who is focused and who is not

yeah kids might not have to worry about things like lifde and bills
but they mind is easily distracted away from the task at hand

hectari
01-30-2005, 04:57 PM
^but when you train a kid they tend to take things as a game and lose that fear so they get used to the ring and tend to be more comfortable, while you have an adult who has never been in a ring and he steps in there for the first time the nerves and feeling are new and hard to adjust too, basically it has to be instilled in you I believe.

The first time I stepped in a ring just to spar I could not really focus because it is a different feeling then watching, the adrenaline and blood pressure goes up.

that is why I feel training younger is more benificial.

- Evil -
01-30-2005, 06:42 PM
It depends on your weight, the smaller the fighter the sooner they should start.

Tha Greatest
01-30-2005, 08:24 PM
if ur 50 or if ur 5 there will be a time when ur nervous!

It aint about your age, it's about courage.

Boxing aint like football, baseball or baasketball,
you gotta bring your own balls!!

BrickJungleGorilla
02-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Im just getting started training at 16, and i saw on ESPN or HBO or something that De La Hoya only started boxing at 16, and spent 2 years in the amateurs and turned pro at 19. So if De La Hoya started at 16 then really there isnt a too late.
And come to think of it, i think i heard that Bernard Hopkins didnt start boxing till he got locked up, and i think he was in his late mid-late 20s by then.

boxernyc
02-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Tomorrow is too late. Start today. Don't use history to dictate what can and can not be done. I am 28 and I just started. I'm not unrealistic, just optimistic and a f'n hard worker. I'll put my 6 days a week in and see how I do in the amatuers. Just start out, train hard and see how far you go and how fast you learn.

fluckz
02-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Im just getting started training at 16, and i saw on ESPN or HBO or something that De La Hoya only started boxing at 16, and spent 2 years in the amateurs and turned pro at 19. So if De La Hoya started at 16 then really there isnt a too late.
And come to think of it, i think i heard that Bernard Hopkins didnt start boxing till he got locked up, and i think he was in his late mid-late 20s by then.

i believe b-hop was locked up at 17 and started then, won some sort of prison championship, and got out 4 years later