View Full Version : most effective punch

chosen_one
03-26-2006, 07:54 AM
i think its the upppercut or the right hook but it depends on the boxer cause a straight can be more or less deadly as an uppercut

Yaman
03-26-2006, 08:57 AM
Too many similar threads around here.

supaduck
03-26-2006, 10:42 AM
yeah, theres been hundreds of "best boxer" or "best punch" threads...

SuzieQ49
03-26-2006, 01:08 PM
joe louis straight right hand

El Guapo
03-26-2006, 01:09 PM
jab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ali

Yaman
03-26-2006, 01:33 PM
Oh wait i didn't read it correctly. Here's my post on this.

Left jab from Larry Holmes.
Left hook from Frazier.

Its the left hand that most fighters are more vulnerable to.

Verstyle
03-26-2006, 01:39 PM
yeah i agree with yaman its the left cause ppl usually dont tend to throw a left hand first

Stiv Rex
03-26-2006, 07:47 PM
the question is too non specific. there are too many variables. who youre fighting, how theyre fighting, what you want to do, how well you throw which punch, what your strong side is, etc. if you want to setup combinations, keep space and **** up their rhythm then its the jab.
all power punches vary too. if you are 3 or 4 inches taller than the other guy, your straight right or chopping uppercuts are gonna do better than hooks. if you are the shorter guy your hooks to the body are gonna land better than straights or hooks to the head.

Dempsey 1919
03-26-2006, 11:27 PM
either a left jab or short, compact left and/or right hooks, the kind of hooks that joe louis or muhammad ali threw.

SuzieQ49
03-26-2006, 11:58 PM
ali's double right and ezzard charles left-right were the best 2 punch combos in history

Dempsey 1919
03-27-2006, 12:17 AM
ali's double right and ezzard charles left-right were the best 2 punch combos in history

do you mean like in the folley fight(the knock out)?

Verstyle
03-27-2006, 12:45 AM
either a left jab or short, compact left and/or right hooks, the kind of hooks that joe louis or muhammad ali threw.

when u talk about short and compact im surprised MIKE TYSON!!!!! didnt come to mind :)

Dempsey 1919
03-27-2006, 12:47 AM
when u talk about short and compact im surprised MIKE TYSON!!!!! didnt come to mind :)

tyson's hooks weren't as short as louis' or ali's.

Verstyle
03-27-2006, 12:59 AM
tyson's hooks weren't as short as louis' or ali's.

u dont think. hmmmmmmmmm. i dunno

Dempsey 1919
03-27-2006, 01:22 AM
u dont think. hmmmmmmmmm. i dunno

tyson threw his hooks much like frazier did. watch frazier's knockdown of ali, and then watch tyson's left hook to reggie gross, and they are pretty similar. is was pretty wide, but fast nontheless. however, if you watch joe louis' ko of jersey joe walcott, the 4 hooks he hit him with were very narrow and short, similar to if you watch ali against terrel and you see the first punches ali hits ernie with are short narrow hooks, much like joe louis' hooks.

SuzieQ49
03-27-2006, 01:26 AM
do you mean like in the folley fight(the knock out)?

yep but ali used it a lot more than just that one fight.

- ali would have tore up holmes if he was in his prime with that double right, he would have came right over holmes jab since holmes loved to bring his left low after jabbing

SuzieQ49
03-27-2006, 01:27 AM
ali was not a power puncher butterfly, he does not compare to louis and tyson

Dempsey 1919
03-27-2006, 01:33 AM
ali was not a power puncher butterfly, he does not compare to louis and tyson

but it was effective. just look at ali's ko percentage in his prime and if you didn't know otherwise, you'd think he was a powerpuncher.

SuzieQ49
03-27-2006, 01:54 AM
realize that but the biggest thing when it comes to greatest punchers is POWER.

in the rings top 100 greatest punchers list, ali is not on it. he is not a power puncher.

Dempsey 1919
03-27-2006, 02:02 AM

in the rings top 100 greatest punchers list, ali is not on it. he is not a power puncher.

i understand that, but if ali had some one on the edge of defeat, he was able to finish them. ali is a very good puncher in my book.

SuzieQ49
03-27-2006, 02:06 AM
NO HE WAS A GREATER FIGHTER WITH INCREDIBLE SPEED AND SKILLS AND FINISHING ABILITIY. however, he was not a puncher.

a puncher is a bob satterfield, and please don't spoit off about satterfields KO percentage.

sleazyfellow
03-27-2006, 12:30 PM

speed also plays a factor in the knockout, throwing hard punches doesnt mean anything if the opponent knows its coming, knockouts r usually when the opponent doesnt see the punch and isnt prepared for whats coming :boxing:

Dempsey 1919
03-27-2006, 03:44 PM
NO HE WAS A GREATER FIGHTER WITH INCREDIBLE SPEED AND SKILLS AND FINISHING ABILITIY. however, he was not a puncher.

a puncher is a bob satterfield, and please don't spoit off about satterfields KO percentage.

but it stiil worked. ali is a pretty good puncher in my book.

opethdrums
03-27-2006, 08:50 PM
i agree. ali could probably power punch better than some of the people on that 100 man list

Dempsey 1919
03-27-2006, 08:58 PM
speed also plays a factor in the knockout, throwing hard punches doesnt mean anything if the opponent knows its coming, knockouts r usually when the opponent doesnt see the punch and isnt prepared for whats coming :boxing:

yes, and ali used that to his advantage in a lot of his fights.

Kid Achilles
03-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Ali was a good puncher. His power was nothing special but his handspeed and finishing instincts made him a dangerous person for anyone with a less than great chin to fight. He does not come close to hitting as hard as a Louis, Dempsey, Tyson, Marciano, Frazier, Johansson, Schmeling etc.

Still he was a GOOD puncher. Not great, and not even very good, but good.

mokele
03-28-2006, 07:22 AM
I don't think that there is a single best punch, although I suppose that the majority of boxers rely on the straight right hand or the left hook to do their real damage.

I believe that the best punch depends on the fighter you're talking about and their style. Big punchers rely on power punches (obviously) and hence usually don't rely on their jab as much. There are exceptions though. George Foreman was a serious jabber. I'll list some fighters and the 1 or 2 punches (the most important with !) that characterized their style:

Larry Holmes: jab!, straight right
Muhammad Ali: jab!
Foreman: jab!, hooks to the body
Tyson: left hook, straight right
Julio Cesar Chavez: straight right, left hook to the body
Trinidad: left hook!, right hook
Hatton: hooks to the body
Corrales: left hook!
Razor Ruddock: left hook/uppercut!
Joe Frazier: left hook!, right to the body
Lennox Lewis: straight right!
Tommy Morrison: left hook!
Vernon Forrest: straight right!
Witherspoon: overhand right!
Ike Quartey: jab!
Winky Wright: jab!

That's enough for now. It's sort of fun to try and remember the punches that fighters are remembered for.

mokele
03-28-2006, 07:44 AM
Ali was a good puncher. His power was nothing special but his handspeed and finishing instincts made him a dangerous person for anyone with a less than great chin to fight. He does not come close to hitting as hard as a Louis, Dempsey, Tyson, Marciano, Frazier, Johansson, Schmeling etc.

Still he was a GOOD puncher. Not great, and not even very good, but good.

Punching power is a little like hammering a nail. Some like to take the hammer way back and really lay into the nail on each blow, whereas others like to use shorter, quicker blows. Both styles get the job done. Ali was like a guy with a hammer that used short, quick strokes. Shavers was like a guy who took the hammer way back and tried to bury the nail in the wood with 1 strike.