View Full Version : why dont boxers from other countries get recognition

chosen_one
03-25-2006, 07:29 PM
like lenox lewis best outta london

K-DOGG
03-25-2006, 08:04 PM
like lenox lewis best outta london
Well, to be blunt....because we're not really of the mindset that WE ARE ONE WORLD yet. Americans want to hear about American fighters, whether Black or White. Hispanic Americans want to hear about Hispanic fighters, whether American or of their same cultural background whether Mexican, Puerto Rican, Panamanian, Colombian, Salvatorian, etc. Just like English fans want to hear more about good English fighters. French, Italian, Ukrainian, German, etc.

We've come a long way; but we still have a loooong way to go.

'Course, that's just what I think.

Dempsey1238
03-25-2006, 09:58 PM
Tommey Burns who??

Bob Fitz what???

Max Schmhling?? Who is he?

jason100x
03-28-2006, 02:06 PM
I don't think of fighting on the basis of so and so is from here or there. I look at them for their skills. I'm an american but I really like Hatton and Calzaghe. I just hadn't seen a Calzaghe fight until the Lacy fight, but I like how he fought there and now I want to see more of his fights.

LHWchamp5
03-29-2006, 11:27 AM
they do but they have to go to vegas to get it..

DudeManGuy216
03-29-2006, 11:34 AM
http://www.marcelcerdan.com/ImagesCombats/Combats268.jpg
dont forget about arguablly the best thing to come out of France

Marcel Cerdan!

Dempsey1238
03-29-2006, 03:55 PM
Cerdan is almost forgoten.

I guess Cerdan owns the movie Raging Bull some thinks, for bringing him back into the spotlight for that time in the 80's.

2 bad he died in that plane crash. He might be ranked higher.

But he was still one hell of a fighter.

RAESAAD
03-29-2006, 03:59 PM
Last time I checked Lennox Lewis was very well known and respected all over. :)

MickyHatton
03-30-2006, 04:15 AM

I guess Cerdan owns the movie Raging Bull some thinks, for bringing him back into the spotlight for that time in the 80's.

This fighter is the perfect example of this argument,

Marcel Cerdan lost 4 times in 113 fights! He stopped Tony Zale to win the Middleweight Title and was in turn stopped by Jake La Motta, unfortunately that was his last fight due to his premature death!
Yet he is hardly ever mentioned when talking about great middleweights, yet the likes of Jeff Lacy is or was proclaimed as the next King with only 21 fights!!!

McGoorty
07-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Tommey Burns who??

Bob Fitz what???

Max Schmhling?? Who is he?
I think the thread is meant to explain many GREAT past fighters are NOT remembered often outside their homeland, 8 out of 10 Aussies Still Believe that LES DARCY is their All-tlme Best, but outside of Australia and maybe IRELAND, most fans can say a bit about P. JACKSON, FITZ, SLAVIN, GRIFFO, LANG, N.Z.'s TOM HEENEY, CARRUTHERS, ROSE and FAMECHON and post 60's big names. You only have to browse most threads to hear many complaining Brits and Mexican-Latin- American's about U.S. Bias ( and were'nt they miffed about Darcy's meteoric Rise {US} ). An AGE OLD BEEF.

New England
07-19-2011, 08:37 AM
yeah just like pacquiao
cotto
tito
margarito
marquez
khan
adamek (top 5 ticket seller in the states.. nobody seems to understand that.)

how about the next two big things (fighters with carisma and starpower that will be brought along chiefly through and because of the media)
canelo
Jr. ?

or how about joe calzaghe
amir khan
and carl froch?

just like those guys, right? not getting love in america because they aren't american....
oh wait... there aren't any americans on the list are there?

look
this happens all the time. i'm only saying this once, because i don't want to keep repeating myself
folk form the UK don't see what they feel is "enough" attention from american fans and media for their fighters

the fact of the matter is that he best fighters from the UK fight their way to the states
and they come from all over the world, as well

las vegas is the mecca of boxing.
no american boxer tries to fight his way out of the states (unless he's a cruiserweight or HW going to germany to get paid and jobbed on a decision or knocked out slowly by a klitschko)

everybody gets a fair shake in the american media in boxing terms
american non boxing media is completely out of out the hands of boxing.

and lewis is widely recognized as one of the best HW to ever lace up gloves over here, dude
i don't know where the hell you guys get your notions about the american media and foreign fighters

i think its at pubs
with other guys from the UK (and not from the states, mind you) complaining!
that's where this comes from. i'm convinced

american media gravitates toward fighters who are big draws with the people and who are good /// spectacular

they could be from the ****ing moon
london...
****in reveaah! (thats boston accent for revear, a working class boston suburb)
under the sea
back in time
the future

it doesn't matter
if you're good and have a way with the people you'll get appropriate attention from american media, regardless of country of origin

now stop complaining about it

Mugwump
07-19-2011, 06:21 PM
American boxing fans are often accused of being ignorant - but I've found many who know more about ancient British fighters such as Jimmy Wilde than most Brits do.

Indeed, whenever I mention the name over here the response is near universally - "Jimmy Who?"

When I point out that he is arguably the greatest (and the hardest hitting) Flyweight that ever laced up a pair of gloves in addition to being one of the top 20 fighters of all time the response is complete astonishment.

Welsh Jon
07-19-2011, 07:04 PM
American boxing fans are often accused of being ignorant - but I've found many who know more about ancient British fighters such as Jimmy Wilde than most Brits do.

Indeed, whenever I mention the name over here the response is near universally - "Jimmy Who?"

When I point out that he is arguably the greatest (and the hardest hitting) Flyweight that ever laced up a pair of gloves in addition to being one of the top 20 fighters of all time the response is complete astonishment.

Sadly most boxing fans in Wales don't know who Jimmy Wilde.

Greatest fighter we've ever produced and he's virtually anonymous :nonono:

Scott9945
07-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Sadly most boxing fans in Wales don't know who Jimmy Wilde.

Greatest fighter we've ever produced and he's virtually anonymous :nonono:

If people think flyweights are unappreciated now, you can imagine how bad it was for them 100 years ago.

The_Demon
07-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Last time I checked Lennox Lewis was very well known and respected all over. :)

This right here

It doesnt matter where you are from,as long as you dont openly duck anyone and always give it your all you get respect eventually

McGoorty
07-23-2011, 01:03 AM

You're right there Marcel Cerdan was a bit of a genius, young fighters should study him, so much power, awesome chin, impeccable defence, quicksilver, irresistable, clever, I find it hard to imagine too many great middleweights matching him, I can't find a weakness, can anybody out there??. Marcel was robbed of a long life, they say that Edith Piaf never got over his death, heartbreaking story The Ketchel/ Les Darcy Middleweight curse ???????. he's up there with those other unlucky flyers, Marciano, Buddy Holly and Stevie Ray Vaughan, R.I.P.

EdMon917
07-23-2011, 05:01 AM
Well, to be blunt....because we're not really of the mindset that WE ARE ONE WORLD yet. Americans want to hear about American fighters, whether Black or White. Hispanic Americans want to hear about Hispanic fighters, whether American or of their same cultural background whether Mexican, Puerto Rican, Panamanian, Colombian, Salvatorian, etc. Just like English fans want to hear more about good English fighters. French, Italian, Ukrainian, German, etc.

We've come a long way; but we still have a loooong way to go.

'Course, that's just what I think.

Nice post, and I think this pretty much summed it up. When people look back in history, they tend to pay attention to fighters they can have some kind of connection to, and one of those can be ethnicity. In general though, greats are greats and they should and are recognized.