View Full Version : Why blacks have dominated boxing

supaduck
03-22-2006, 03:57 PM
Cos they're better at it than everyone else.

paul750
03-22-2006, 04:06 PM
It just depends on what race or country etc, is the poorest at that time, or who is struggling the most, it's not about race.

Yaman
03-22-2006, 04:08 PM
Overall yes. But its not like every black fighter is better than any non black fighter. No one looks at race annymore.

paul750
03-22-2006, 04:11 PM
I notice you're only 15, id read more and learn more, and most importantly, listen more for a few years yet, not having a go at you buddy, but these are unwise posts.

tjmoney
03-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Basically, whoever is at the bottom of the social ladder is going to produce the best fighters. Its always been this way, at the turn of the century the best guys were italians and the irish, it was this way until joe Louis came around. Once blacks were able to fight for the world titles they dominated. Through the 70's 80's and 90's you saw a lot of mexican fighters, and latino fighters. Now we're starting to see the next wave, which seems to be the asian's at the lighter weights and eastern europeans in the heavyweights.

Left2body
03-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Its more socio-economically based than ethnically, although where you from does play a role in it. First off if your from a country like Dominican Republic the best athletes are playing baseball so the kids actually boxing is smaller so the chances of finding a champion caliber fighter is much lower.

For the most part boxing is also a fairly poor man's sport in terms of urban kids usually participate in it. You will rarely see a boxer who's family is upper middle or upper in economic stratosphere participating in boxing unlike other sports like basketball or baseball where these groups often participate, hence a larger proportion of them as professionals.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it blacks and latinos in the united states where boxing is popularfit into both these spheres hence the large percentage of black and latinos in boxing.

machotime
03-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Do you mean the heavyweight division? Overall there have been more hispanic champions then any other race.

supaduck
03-22-2006, 04:48 PM
But how come blacks still dominate now that they have got better lifestyles?

Southpaw Stinger
03-22-2006, 04:54 PM
But how come blacks still dominate now that they have got better lifestyles?

Do they really dominate? There are more black fighters than there are white so obviously they seem to be at the wheel. Seeing Calzaghe whup Lacy was a much better boxing apparell than watching Toney vs Rachman displaying ****ness.

Left2body
03-22-2006, 05:02 PM
A large percentage of blacks (urban blacks) still live in relative poverty. Other than Laila Ali can you name a series of boxers who come from Middle Class families *Lets define middle class as household income of $150,000? However you can name multiple blacks in baseball who do.

To say racially that an ethinicity is better is narrow minded. Its like saying whites are the best golfers, tennis and hockey players. Once again there are multiple factors, like I said earlier.

SuzieQ49
03-22-2006, 05:20 PM
in the heavyweight division,

the first SUCCESFUL title defense a white man made on a black man was when rocky marciano knocked out jersey joe walcott in 1 round. IMAGINE THAT, ALL THOSE YEARS?

some of the best black heavyweights in the teens, 20s, 30s were denied title shots because of there skin

george godfrey
sam langford
sam mcvey
joe jeanette
harry wills
kid norfolk
larry gains
tiger jack fox
leroy haynes
jack trammell
big bill hartwell
jeff clark

and others

some like ed unknown winston was forced to throw fights or be part of bad decisions.

the first champion to defend his title vs 3 black men was marciano. blacks heavyweights did not start to consistently get title shots until that time.

- during joe louis title reign, only 2 opponents in his 25 title defenses were black

ezzard and walcott seemed to break the color line when they were matched up for the vacant title, but even then charles was forced by the IBC to fight white challengers and uneserving ones for the most part. the only black guy who was able to get a shot was walcott and that was because he had felix boccicchio.

leff
03-22-2006, 05:39 PM

hmmm

last i checked the easteuropeans rules the olympics and the rest off the ammature scene and is the future off pro whan they mature.

El Sniper
03-22-2006, 06:00 PM
Are they? I don't see it that way. I have felt for some time that latino fighters have dominated because of all the fights that I used to watch with my dad. As I grew older I realised that it was not true and there is a healthy mixture of champions regardless of the color. Race doesn't matter much anymore. It never really did. A good example is basketball. It was thought to be a black dominated sport but that is not the case anymore since we're getting our asses handed to us by Europeans. What's next Canada beats US in hockey? Oh wait that always happens!

abdiel2k3
03-22-2006, 06:07 PM
not to be racist
but it think it was chappelleor rock that said it best
blacks seem to dominate sports in america becuz through out the slavery era they were basicly bred based upon physical strengths
so maybe thats why they seem to have an edge in most sports
cept hockey
Lol

TheBlackWallStreet
03-23-2006, 11:18 AM
not to be racist
but it think it was chappelleor rock that said it best
blacks seem to dominate sports in america becuz through out the slavery era they were basicly bred based upon physical strengths
so maybe thats why they seem to have an edge in most sports
cept hockey
Lol

WTF you failed at trying not to be racist and at the same time showed how ****ing dumb you are.

BIGPOPPAPUMP
03-23-2006, 11:24 AM
I dont think any race has an edge on anything. The rest of the world, Lating America, Asian countries, Europe, has caught up with us on everything - Boxing, Basketball, Baseball, Golf, Tennis, etc. American, whether black or white, is no longer the megapower of sports.

eazy_mas
03-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Race have nothing to do with anything.

People who work hard and think smart get things and that is life.

As for why?!?

Is like saying why are asian are better in computers than others. Why Latino dominate the light, feather wieght divison.

Why do you judge people on there colors rather than skills?

K-DOGG
03-23-2006, 11:37 AM
It just depends on what race or country etc, is the poorest at that time, or who is struggling the most, it's not about race.

Good post!...you beat me too it!!

Props to you!! :D

Da Iceman
03-23-2006, 11:43 AM
latino's are just naturally smaller.

abdiel2k3
03-23-2006, 02:25 PM
WTF you failed at trying not to be racist and at the same time showed how ****ing dumb you are.
o well
at least iwasnt being racistist in a bad way
ive never denied being racist

eazy_mas
03-23-2006, 02:54 PM
o well

I didnt think you comment is raciest.

The Raging Bull
03-23-2006, 03:07 PM
It doesnt matter what race you are, it is about how much u want something and how much talent u have. Some of you guys are talkin bs. I think that deserves karma lol.

:boxing:

enadeus
03-23-2006, 03:11 PM

Is that a good thing?

TheBlackWallStreet
03-23-2006, 04:37 PM
o well

Let me help you out since you are to stupid to realize why your comment was dumb and racist.

1. Black Slaves were bred but not by physical attributes all slave masters cared about was the amount of babies Black women could produce. They actually joined in on the breeding and had several mixed babies. They also promised to make their lives easier and promised freedom if the women had several Babies.

2. at least get your ****in quote right if you are going to post bull****. The comment was made by Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder and read as so "During the slave period, the slave owner would breed his big black with his big woman so that he would have a big black kid—that's where it all started."

3. You are truly racist to be using that comment at all and truly have a low IQ if you think genes = being the best at sports or anything for that matter.

Tiger woods is the best because he worked his ass off and trained at it his entire Life not because his mom and dad ****ed and he was instally born with this heavenly gift from God.

Floyd Mayweather is a very skilled boxer because he trained all his life to be so.

This is the same with any other boxer athlete or anything in life really. its just what you aspire to be and if you work hard to perfect your craft, you have a very good chance of being the best at it period.

Now go read a ****ing book or something so I dont have to school your ass anymore.

Da Iceman
03-23-2006, 04:48 PM
good ownage.

LondonRingRules
03-23-2006, 04:49 PM
=====Cos they're better at it than everyone else.=======

** Dumb question, dumber answer. Any answer would probably bounce off your thick numbskull regardless.

supaduck
03-23-2006, 05:28 PM
Stop flaming me.

RockyMarcianofan00
03-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Black Fighters aren't better then white fighters,
you can't just look at race, just how things turn out and thats the nicest way i can say it without sounding racist

Burzum_666
03-24-2006, 01:53 AM
It's been said by other people, you work hard in life, good things happen for you, whether you are black, white, asian, latin. Makes no difference. Racism is a stupid thing to concern yourself with, it's a waste of time and a waste of life.

Verstyle
03-24-2006, 01:58 AM
most ppl think that black ppl get into boxin to get out of the "GHETTO" AHAHAHA. can u say sterotype. i dont need to box i got a good paying job and my mom is an registered nurse and my dads an electrician. i dont have to work but im not a lazy **** that mouches off his parents. and by the way i got into boxin cause of my neighbor saying i should

The Noose
03-24-2006, 03:05 AM
Let me help you out since you are to stupid to realize why your comment was dumb and racist.

1. Black Slaves were bred but not by physical attributes all slave masters cared about was the amount of babies Black women could produce. They actually joined in on the breeding and had several mixed babies. They also promised to make their lives easier and promised freedom if the women had several Babies.

2. at least get your ****in quote right if you are going to post bull****. The comment was made by Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder and read as so "During the slave period, the slave owner would breed his big black with his big woman so that he would have a big black kid—that's where it all started."

3. You are truly racist to be using that comment at all and truly have a low IQ if you think genes = being the best at sports or anything for that matter.

Tiger woods is the best because he worked his ass off and trained at it his entire Life not because his mom and dad ****ed and he was instally born with this heavenly gift from God.

Floyd Mayweather is a very skilled boxer because he trained all his life to be so.

This is the same with any other boxer athlete or anything in life really. its just what you aspire to be and if you work hard to perfect your craft, you have a very good chance of being the best at it period.

Now go read a ****ing book or something so I dont have to school your ass anymore.

Why are u so angry?

Is it because u are black?

I hear black guys are just plain angry people.

Verstyle
03-24-2006, 03:07 AM
Why are u so angry?

another sterotype. im extremly friendly

SuzieQ49
03-24-2006, 04:31 AM
black people have always had natural and better builds. this is a fact. I don't know the exact reason why, but it does have something to do with ancestry.

* side note. I do know that when your tan, it makes you look more cut, and black people have a "year round tan"(LMAO just a jk).

- I am pretty sure the consensous is black people are more naturally gifted physically. now what they make with there physical stature and abilities is up to them.

SuzieQ49
03-24-2006, 04:34 AM
example: take a look at the old timer bareknuckle boxers. most of them are white, and almost all the white people look out of shape with beer belly's. HOWEVER, when u look at the few black photos which are shown, all of those guys look cut and in shape. yet im pretty sure none of them lifted weights.

DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH NATURAL BUILD?

TheBlackWallStreet
03-24-2006, 04:39 AM
Why are u so angry?

Yes, I am black and no I wasn't angry. What makes you think I am angry? I was just appalled that someone could make such a statement on this site and nobody says something about it. So I decided to educate the poster and open his eyes to his ignorance. Just because I did it in a harsh way doesn't mean I was angry.

Besides I have dealt with ignorant people like that and flat out racist people most of my life. So to tell you the truth I don’t get angry. I just correct them and make them look like fools on the intellectual level because most of them have the IQ of a small child. If I was Angry, I would have just come at him on his level of small mindedness. But I didn’t, did I?

TheBlackWallStreet
03-24-2006, 05:24 AM
example: take a look at the old timer bareknuckle boxers. most of them are white, and almost all the white people look out of shape with beer belly's. HOWEVER, when u look at the few black photos which are shown, all of those guys look cut and in shape. yet im pretty sure none of them lifted weights.

DOES IT HAVE TO DO WITH NATURAL BUILD?

Manual Labor can give you a good overall Build. How do you know these guys didnt do that sort of work? Since that was what mostly all Blacks were allowed to do at the time.

I have also seen pictures of White bare knuckle guys I dont see to many with beer bellys. Maybe its because they could afford a pint or 2 after work and after fights?

Now I dont know if any of that has anything to do with it but I just wanted to offer you those questions.

Anyway I think it just comes down to how many are in the sport at the time. Overall how many Black people are in boxing compared to how many whites? I dont know but if there is more blacks then of course black people have a higher chance of dominating the sport. I just dont believe race has anything to do with nothing. Its all about the individual and a lot of people are makin excuses that dont need to be made.

abdiel2k3
03-24-2006, 06:32 AM
TheBlackWallStreet quoted'
Lol
wow your so enlightened
and u think that was somehow less racist then what i said

lmao
shut the fuk up
he may very well have said it too
but i know where i heard it from
and it was chris rock or dave chappelle
i know it was rock
and wow ur so smart
u even know his nickname
ur truely are way above me and everyone else

Lol
never said i wasnt a racist
if u look
i admitted it
so whos IQ is lower
the guy sayin what he heard a comic say
or the guy tryin to tell the other where he heard it
please atleast stick the theme
were talkin about blacks here
Lol

where did i say it had nothing to do with their own hardwork
and that their success us purely and solely attributed to thier blackness
no *****
i said their appearred "edge"
as in i myself dont think that they do have any edge
but i see and understand why some people think that
in this world its not just i know this so its that way
ur wrong
no *****
u gotta understand where everyones comin from
and why they think what they think so u can help correct them

wow u schooled me
completely didnt read and understand what i was sayin
u saw the first couple words
took what u wanted to hear right away and ranw ith it
so ur the one that needs to learn to read
not just open ur big ass E-mouth like ur **** dont stink

o and one final thing
to prove how fukin stupid u truely are
notice u didnt disprove anything i said
all u did was back my idiot claim with facts
the one victory of "schoolin" u could claim
would be if i had quoated the wrong guy
and even then ur still wrong
u see 2 or more people can say the same thing
share an idea
just becuz i heard it from this person
and u heard it from that person
doesnt mean urs is right
i never said i heard it from some comic
or just i heard it in the wind
which would then entitle u to say
"maybe it wasnt either
i heard this guy said it"
no *****
i knew which of the two id heard it from
i now i remeber who it was
it was for suire chris rock whom i heard say it

TheBlackWallStreet
03-24-2006, 01:24 PM
TheBlackWallStreet quoted'
Lol
wow your so enlightened
and u think that was somehow less racist then what i said

lmao
shut the fuk up
he may very well have said it too
but i know where i heard it from
and it was chris rock or dave chappelle
i know it was rock
and wow ur so smart
u even know his nickname
ur truely are way above me and everyone else

Lol
never said i wasnt a racist
if u look
i admitted it
so whos IQ is lower
the guy sayin what he heard a comic say
or the guy tryin to tell the other where he heard it
please atleast stick the theme
were talkin about blacks here
Lol

where did i say it had nothing to do with their own hardwork
and that their success us purely and solely attributed to thier blackness
no *****
i said their appearred "edge"
as in i myself dont think that they do have any edge
but i see and understand why some people think that
in this world its not just i know this so its that way
ur wrong
no *****
u gotta understand where everyones comin from
and why they think what they think so u can help correct them

wow u schooled me
completely didnt read and understand what i was sayin
u saw the first couple words
took what u wanted to hear right away and ranw ith it
so ur the one that needs to learn to read
not just open ur big ass E-mouth like ur **** dont stink

o and one final thing
to prove how fukin stupid u truely are
notice u didnt disprove anything i said
all u did was back my idiot claim with facts
the one victory of "schoolin" u could claim
would be if i had quoated the wrong guy
and even then ur still wrong
u see 2 or more people can say the same thing
share an idea
just becuz i heard it from this person
and u heard it from that person
doesnt mean urs is right
i never said i heard it from some comic
or just i heard it in the wind
which would then entitle u to say
"maybe it wasnt either
i heard this guy said it"
no *****
i knew which of the two id heard it from
i now i remeber who it was
it was for suire chris rock whom i heard say it

No need for me to disect this post everyone already knows how utterly stupid and uneducated you are. You also owned yourself in this post more than once. You make me ashamed to even claim PHX. I wish I still lived in the P H X cause I would like to talk to you face to face. So I could smack you upside your head and teach you some respect.

Peoria High School class of 98 and Phx college alumni. Then I got the **** out of that **** hole and went to Hawaii and graduated from UH.

SnoopySmurf
03-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Abdiel is actually just reiterating what other people have already said, from Jimmy the Greek to your average Joe. Cut him some slack.

He's just the messenger. :)

SlightlyStoopid
03-24-2006, 03:30 PM
No one should bother contributing to this post :\ It's an ugly subject that only fuels biased debating. So my OPINION will remain absent. :)

BIGPOPPAPUMP
03-24-2006, 03:39 PM
Closing this thread before it gets real ugly.