View Full Version : Best Head Movement of Any Heavy Weight

Left2body
03-20-2006, 02:00 AM
This subject was touched upon slightly in a thread about hand speed and HW. What I have said is that out of all the HW's that I've seen the HW with the best head movement was prime Tyson. Now I'm not saying he was the most elusive since his style of fighting dictated he be the aggressor and aggressors get caught more than boxers like Joe Luis, Ali or Byrd but that he had the best head movement when coming in.

Dempsey 1919
03-20-2006, 02:05 AM
ever seen ali-terrel? enough said.

Verstyle
03-20-2006, 02:06 AM
yeah he had the best. not slot of ppl move there heads alot eben today :confused:

Verstyle
03-20-2006, 02:06 AM

thats 1 fight i think he means in general

Left2body
03-20-2006, 02:18 AM

No I havent seen that fight. Could you please expand on what happend? I do know that it was early in his career when he was dancing a lot as opposed to when he came back and stood a little more flat footed.

Dempsey 1919
03-20-2006, 02:19 AM
thats 1 fight i think he means in general

but ali did that in alot of fights. most of the time he didn't need to dance, he just moved his head out of the way at blinding speed and then burst in with rapid fire combinations!!

Verstyle
03-20-2006, 02:22 AM
but ali did that in alot of fights. most of the time he didn't need to dance, he just moved his head out of the way at blinding speed and then burst in with rapid fire combinations!!

better then tyson's head movement u think?

Dempsey 1919
03-20-2006, 02:22 AM
No I havent seen that fight. Could you please expand on what happend? I do know that it was early in his career when he was dancing a lot as opposed to when he came back and stood a little more flat footed.

even though ali was young and in his prime in that fight(1967), he stood flat-footed alot and he just moved his head out of the way of terrel's punches. terrel barely hit him because of this. alos if you watch a few other fights, like the two liston fights, folley, and mildenberger, you will see this ass well.

Dempsey 1919
03-20-2006, 02:23 AM
better then tyson's head movement u think?

i think ali's head moved faster than tyson's.

Verstyle
03-20-2006, 02:31 AM
i think ali's head moved faster than tyson's.

hmmmmmm i have no clue

Dempsey 1919
03-20-2006, 02:35 AM
hmmmmmm i have no clue

when ali moved his head out of the way to avoid punches, it moved faster than tyson's head when tyson moves out of the way of punches.

hellfire508
03-20-2006, 07:11 AM
Ok. Butterfly - Ali was like lightning with his upper-body movement. His reflexes were astounding, and his displays against Terrell and Williams are the best displays of elusiveness I've ever seen at heavyweight. He effortlessly moves his head to make the punch miss by an inch, with his hands hanging at his side.

However, this was primarily based on reflexes and upper body speed. BEST is a term that takes into account more than speed. Eg. Louis was a better puncher than Foreman, even though Foreman was a bigger puncher. Tyson had better head movement than Ali. It was more conventional (which doesnt make better, I know) it was quick, and very effective. Watching a prime Tyson evade some punches is amazing.

Conclusion - Ali faster head movement, Tyson better head movement.

Heckler
03-20-2006, 08:11 AM
Ali used incredible head movement at times. Im sure he had better reflexes then Tyson and had faster head movement, however tyson used head movement intensively throughout a fight and it was his main defensive technique which he used very effectively. Amazing how he avoided some of those straight punches thrown from taller fighters.

MickyHatton
03-20-2006, 08:19 AM
Head movement, I think Tyson, he used to train with the swinging lead and rope line and was absulutely awesome at it!

Ali, overall boxing skill and defensive!

mrc213
03-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Yea prime tyson the way he just move his head almost crouch to the ground and stil was dodging punches thats the way he dodged, I'd say ali was the fastest on his feet out of all the heavy weights damn that man could move

Yaman
03-20-2006, 12:18 PM
Enough about Ali's reflexes.

Its about the best headmovement and its without a doubt Iron Mike. Jack Dempsey started it, Floyd Patterson improved it and Tyson did it the best. Nobody ever moved his head as good as Tyson.

Its just a dam shame he stopped his head movement later in his career. He screwed his fighting style the moment he left Rooney. No more head movement and jabs= no more good defence like before. If Tyson didn't move his head, he could be beaten. Douglass and Holyfield showed it.

This is the top 3.
1-Tyson
2-Patterson
3-Dempsey

Shanus
03-20-2006, 02:04 PM
The reason people think Tysons head movement was great is because he was alot shorted than his opposition and he could use his height to his advantage, thus making his head movement more effective, but Ali didn't have this, he'd predict the punch before they threw it, and just lean his head back, so the punch didn't even hit him, it's close, but i'd go with Ali.

vandiar
03-20-2006, 02:48 PM
Ok. Butterfly - Ali was like lightning with his upper-body movement. His reflexes were astounding, and his displays against Terrell and Williams are the best displays of elusiveness I've ever seen at heavyweight. He effortlessly moves his head to make the punch miss by an inch, with his hands hanging at his side.

However, this was primarily based on reflexes and upper body speed. BEST is a term that takes into account more than speed. Eg. Louis was a better puncher than Foreman, even though Foreman was a bigger puncher. Tyson had better head movement than Ali. It was more conventional (which doesnt make better, I know) it was quick, and very effective. Watching a prime Tyson evade some punches is amazing.

Conclusion - Ali faster head movement, Tyson better head movement.

I agree with this post, Tyson was more effective with his head movement because of his height and created more counter opportunities from the head movement. Ali used it more to be elusive not in an aggressive way like Tyson used his.

Southpaw Stinger
03-20-2006, 03:37 PM
Ali had best upper body movement but Tyson had better head movement. Remember Tyson was shorter and Tyson had to get on the inside. Ali was moving his head backwards away from a punch most times.

SuzieQ49
03-20-2006, 10:16 PM
jersey joe walcott

- go watch louis-walcott I then get back to me

Da Iceman
03-20-2006, 10:38 PM
ali mightve have faster head movement but if he didnt have his speed he wouldve got caught alot more then tyson. tyson better head movement because it didnt depend on reflexes.

Verstyle
03-20-2006, 10:49 PM
jersey joe walcott

- go watch louis-walcott I then get back to me

its 1 match though u cant judge it off of 1 match. thats like me lookin back at a tyson fight and saying his hads were faster then ali's just cause i looked at a match that tyson threw faster shots

SuzieQ49
03-21-2006, 01:21 AM
then watch another fight of walcotts

+= El Jefe=+
03-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Walcott VS Marciano I or II???

ohh yeah and prime tyson's head movement was sick

SuzieQ49
03-21-2006, 01:34 AM
I think walcott displayed his best movement in the louis fights while he displayed his best aggresion and punching abilites in marciano I,

so judging from the title of this thread which is "BEST MOVEMENT" i suggest watching walcott in the louis fights.

The Raging Bull
03-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Mike Tyson

Nuff said

:boxing:

Dempsey 1919
03-21-2006, 06:12 PM

you sure have a love affair with fightters from the '50s.

Da Iceman
03-21-2006, 06:20 PM
i could say alot of **** right now but i wont

SuzieQ49
03-21-2006, 06:33 PM
you sure have a love affair with fightters from the '50s.

COUGH COUGH muhammad ali

Dempsey 1919
03-21-2006, 06:38 PM
i could say alot of **** right now but i wont

good, you're learning! :D

Dempsey 1919
03-21-2006, 06:38 PM
COUGH COUGH muhammad ali

haha, funny but NO! :cool:

Yogi
03-21-2006, 06:49 PM
haha, funny but NO! :cool:

Yeah sure, that's why it seems like 95% of your posts have to do with Ali. :p

Brockton may be a big fan of the 40's & 50's (and who could blame him, because that's one of the best eras of all-time in boxing...all divisions considered), but at least he's shown the capacity to talk about many different eras in a knowledgable sort of way (both here and especially other places he posts).

Dempsey 1919
03-21-2006, 06:53 PM

look up my last 500 posts and see if 95% are on ali. :rolleyes: in fact it's more like 25%, if you really look at all my posts.

SuzieQ49
03-21-2006, 06:53 PM
another fighter with great movement is jack dempsey, he had incredible smooth, fast, elusive, unpredictable movement.

Yaman
03-21-2006, 06:54 PM
But not head movement.

Jose Torres was very good too.

Dempsey 1919
03-21-2006, 06:54 PM

Brockton may be a big fan of the 40's & 50's (and who could blame him, because that's one of the best eras of all-time in boxing...all divisions considered), but at least he's shown the capacity to talk about many different eras in a knowledgable sort of way (both here and especially other places he posts).

the things i post on here is "knowledgeable" enough. if i don't know about something, i simply won't post on it.

smasher
03-21-2006, 06:57 PM
another fighter with great movement is jack dempsey, he had incredible smooth, fast, elusive, unpredictable movement.
For sure. His head movement was unpredictable when he got drilled flush on the jaw and was sent flying out of the ****ing ring.

Yogi
03-21-2006, 06:57 PM
look up my last 500 posts and see if 95% are on ali. :rolleyes:

Crikey, I lose brain cells when I read about five of your posts in a day, and yet you expect me to look back over five hundred of them? :eek:

Dempsey 1919
03-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Crikey, I lose brain cells when I read about five of your posts in a day, and yet you expect me to look back over five hundred of them? :eek:

just trying to say how stupid that was. a fairly small portion of my posts are on ali, and that's a fact.

Dempsey 1919
03-21-2006, 07:00 PM
For sure. His head movement was unpredictable when he got drilled flush on the jaw and was sent flying out of the ****ing ring.

it kinda looks like he was pushed out of the ring.

Yogi
03-21-2006, 07:03 PM

Pushed out of the ring, Smasher..."pushed" would be the word you're looking for, my friend, and the footage was pretty clear that that is what happened versus Firpo.

Yaman
03-21-2006, 07:06 PM
Don't mind that retard. He just got that from Boxrec.

smasher
03-21-2006, 07:10 PM
Don't mind that retard. He just got that from Boxrec.
Shouldn't you be watching Brokeback Mountain for the 10th time and having a good cry?

smasher
03-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Pushed out of the ring, Smasher..."pushed" would be the word you're looking for, my friend, and the footage was pretty clear that that is what happened versus Firpo.
Here's an idea. I'll start a thread discussing the journalistic merit of Robert Anthony Salvatore's Bastion of Darkness and we'll take bets on how many pages it will take for SuzieQ49 and butterfly1964 to transform it into an Ali-Marciano debate...

Yogi
03-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Here's an idea. I'll start a thread discussing the journalistic merit of Robert Anthony Salvatore's Bastion of Darkness and we'll take bets on how many pages it will take for SuzieQ49 and butterfly1964 to transform it into an Ali-Marciano debate...

I really should be asking you who that Salvatore writer is first, because off hand I don't believe I'm familiar with his work. But for the purpose of getting a bet in on time...I'll take the first page after six posts.

Yogi
03-21-2006, 07:39 PM
Oh Jesus, I'm an idiot...

Robert Anthony Salvatore = R.A. Salvatore

And here I have quite a few of his books sitting about two feet away from me.

Duh! :o

joker
03-21-2006, 07:41 PM
what about tyson