View Full Version : Ch 5

barryboy
01-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Boxing: Fight of the Week (Sport)
Time - 01:35 - 02:30 (55 minutes long)
When - Thursday 27th January on five

(Juan Diaz v Billy Irwin)
The first in a new series from the USA, featuring Juan Diaz versus Billy Irwin. Aged only 21, Houston's undefeated Juan Diaz is professional boxing's youngest world champion. Diaz defended his WBA lightweight crown against number ten ranked contender Billy Irwin in Houston, Texas. On the same bill, 2000 U.S. Olympian Calvin Brock faced Clifford "The Black Rhino" Etienne in a 10 round heavyweight bout. Plus, the best of the undercard.

Good to see CH 5 continuing with the ESPN shows, they've kept us going recently with the the Classics but it's good that they're showing the recent fights. Since they cut out the minute rest between rounds they should be able to fit in the 2 main fights o.k. :cool:

bigbadbri
01-27-2005, 06:07 AM
At least we're getting some boxing. Do you know if we're getting the Easatman - Hopkins fight? It would be our luck that no British channel was showing this fight.

J !
01-27-2005, 06:47 AM
it will be a shambles if that isnt televised Ive emailed the BBC about it. I dunno may sky will pull out the stops.

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 07:58 AM
It was in BM that the BBC will probably show the Eastman fight.
Glad to see 5 are still buying the friday night fights. I'd say it's consistently better than Sky's output of late.

barryboy
01-27-2005, 09:46 AM
At least we're getting some boxing. Do you know if we're getting the Easatman - Hopkins fight? It would be our luck that no British channel was showing this fight.

It's REALLY shocking if British t.v. don't show this bill coz not only do we have a British fighter challenging the undisputed No.1 middleweight but we also have Witter/Branco on the bill as well so here's hoping :rolleyes:

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Witter/Branco's on the same bill?

I did not know that.

J !
01-27-2005, 09:55 AM
only announced today. Hennessy has the rights so lets hope they can sort somink out, its a big night for british boxing.

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 10:03 AM
Witter has to be one of the most underrated fighters in the world. He's definitely top 10 for me, possible top 5

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 10:03 AM
And where do you get your news from?

J !
01-27-2005, 10:06 AM
box rec and contacts / friends, I write for the british boxing net so if anything happens that realiable I get emails pinged to me and I do same for others when i can. :cool:

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Whats British Boxing net?

J !
01-27-2005, 10:20 AM
http://www.britishboxing.net/index.php

amd link to an old article of mine i havet done **** all since early dec as been in Singapoire and OZ

http://www.britishboxing.net/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1092323437&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 10:45 AM
Good article mate, well written.Are you a pro journo?
It begs 2 questions though...
What happened to Jason Cook?
And where the hell is Jawaid Khaliq?

J !
01-27-2005, 10:48 AM
well that was wirttne in august, im not pro as such but i do cover the fights and go on press passes, went to about 15fights for em last year plus numerous opinion peices.

Khaliq seems to have dissapeared I dunno whats gone on with him, Barnes looks the newe hot welter after his destruction of Hare but f.f.sake David if you read this please fight Jiummy Vincent again its only fair and just.

Cook just couldnt make the weight anymore and came up agianst a tough mofo in Rios fighting at his best weight, cook is moving up to Light welter to fight Ted Bami, 50/50 fight that.

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah, heard about the Bami fight.
So how's you get into journalism then? It was also something I wanted to do.

J !
01-27-2005, 11:11 AM
started off doing previews for howitzer Boxing league, a small article previewing fights that were being predicted on,, then i did a bit for a websirte called boxingworld, now defunct sadly.
The i posted on box rec a preview for the pinto hatton fight. (which turned out to be pederson) and one of the editors contacted me and said dya wanna come write for us.
Barry has done acouple of good articles too for the site if your interested Ill send ya the site owners email.
The only thing we struggle with is sometimes sports network can right c*nts about press passes, just one of them things you know.
I also know Rick is looking for guys to write for this site and i would think he can get access to shows too.....worth checking it out, its like most things you get out of it what ya put in. :cool:

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 11:19 AM
I always intended to be a journalist until beer found me in my teens...
I'll definitely have that e-mail address mate, cheers.

J !
01-27-2005, 11:26 AM
Actually easier than that go to the site and you will see a "contact us" button drop him a line mention youve been chatting to me "j" as im known.
Kevin taylor is the guy that runs it, you can click on his name there and his email will pop up.
where abouts dya live mate?

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm in Leeds mate. Which site is that? This one or Brit Boxing?

J !
01-27-2005, 11:30 AM
cool we need someon up north way i think, thats the brit boxing site, if you wanna write for this site PM Rick Reeno.

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 11:37 AM
I'll get in touch with the Kevin fella, see what happens...
I have no real journalistic training though, other than winning the school prize for English when I was about 14 :-)

J !
01-27-2005, 11:39 AM
no worries ive pm'd rick as well he may drop you a line.

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 11:45 AM
I've e-mail Kevin, see what transpires...
I'd be happy to contribute for nothing in truth, just being able to write, and follow boxing, would keep me happy.

J !
01-27-2005, 11:52 AM
thats very hnourable but if you do the graft generally you get to sit ringside mate. sports network willing.
i dont get paid for it neother just go to some shows here and there, i wouldnt really want to be, then its an obligation you know you have to do it, rather than wanting to do it.....

speaking of which Barry has kev sent any fight lists recently i havent seen anything though york hall is closed for a refub til march, anything up your way coming up mate?

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Sure, it becomes a job not a hobby....

J !
01-27-2005, 11:55 AM
yeah for Kev its a job and a love but he owns the site so....the other guy whom im avctually meeting tomorrow for a few beers, is the editor Ian mcneilly he is ****ing ace. Had a few articles publishined in boxing news and various magazines. you should check some of his articles out trust me he will be the future of British boxing journalism.. :cool:

Nature Boy
01-27-2005, 11:57 AM
Yeah? I get Boxing News every week, probably read some of his stuff without realising.
It is a great way to make a living I think.

barryboy
01-27-2005, 12:09 PM
speaking of which Barry has kev sent any fight lists recently i havent seen anything though york hall is closed for a refub til march, anything up your way coming up mate?

Kev said I can cover Arthur/Docherty(Is this def on coz it doesn't sound like they've signed a contract?) That is a huge fight up here, my generations version of Buchanan/Watt i'd say so fingers crossed it comes off.
I'll just go for Gilmour shows now if I can because Sports Network have some real prats working for them ;)

J !
01-27-2005, 12:22 PM
aaah wicked nice one mate, im glad theyve got you to a show, and a good one at that, not sure if its defo on mate to be honest but i know it was being made, yeah SN can be funny, I get on alright with Richard maynard so i dont struggle but yeah they can be a bit hit and miss sometimes. :cool:

barryboy
01-27-2005, 12:26 PM
Can't complain at all BBN are good guys I could have done the last Doc fight but I already had tickets so they've given me some great opportunities, it has to be said all thanks to you bud :D :cool:

J !
01-27-2005, 12:33 PM
aaah cheers mate, yeah im proud to call kev and ian my friends :cool:

bigbadbri
01-28-2005, 11:27 AM
It's REALLY shocking if British t.v. don't show this bill coz not only do we have a British fighter challenging the undisputed No.1 middleweight but we also have Witter/Branco on the bill as well so here's hoping :rolleyes:That would be a great night of boxing action, c'moan the Brits.