View Full Version : worst beatdown in hw history?

Dempsey 1919
03-09-2006, 08:50 PM
which is it?

RockyMarcianofan00
03-09-2006, 09:40 PM
i didn't see all those but right now i'm in between louis v schmelling and forman v frazier

wmute
03-09-2006, 09:59 PM
holmes-ali was wrenching

Dempsey1238
03-09-2006, 10:10 PM
out of the fights listed. Toss up between Louis Schmling 2, and Dempsey Willard.

sleazyfellow
03-09-2006, 10:33 PM
wheres ike williams vs. beau jack on that list, man that was such brutal stoppage..but neways willard/demps gets my vote but followed by louis schemling

lol didnt notice it said hw only...surry

Famoso Matador
03-09-2006, 10:38 PM
Ive never seen a beating like prime holmes and washed up Ali. It was ****en sad.

Stiv Rex
03-09-2006, 10:38 PM
didnt see most of the early fights on the list, but Holmes-ali gets my vote. that was a whoopin. i think i remember reading something saying how holmes felt sorry for ali during the fight.

Heckler
03-10-2006, 12:34 AM
Dunno, it wasn't really a DEVESTATING whipping in that fight. Ali was just completely overwhelmed. I don't watch that fight, its horrible. Dempsey vs willard

smasher
03-10-2006, 12:44 AM
Dunno, it wasn't really a DEVESTATING whipping in that fight. Ali was just completely overwhelmed. I don't watch that fight, its horrible. Dempsey vs willard

I agree. Holmes established himself as the agressor in the early rounds but wasn't exactly teeing off with power punches. Holmes by his own admission was unsure what Ali had up his sleeve so he cautiously held back. It was mostly jabs to the body and head, the odd right hand powershot to the head and hook to the body. It was a workmanlike performance. He never staggered or hurt Ali in the first 8 rounds. In the 9th round Ali caught a thumb from a Holmes right uppercut, turned away and Holmes opened up pretty good for a few seconds before Ali came off the ropes. By the 10th round Holmes knew Ali was finished, had nothing, and noticeably held back.

Not really a devestating beating, just a systematic one-sided fight. Holmes was criticized at the time in the press for not doing more in that fight when he had nothing more than a target in front of him.

Da Iceman
03-10-2006, 08:18 AM
gotta say jess willard and dempsey. dempsey broke his ribs and just ****ed him up. i didnt vote for ali vs holmes cuz holmes was tellin the ref to stop it and when he didnt he was just hittin ali with tender touches, or thats what it looked like to me.

smasher
03-10-2006, 08:57 AM
gotta say jess willard and dempsey. dempsey broke his ribs and just ****ed him up. i didnt vote for ali vs holmes cuz holmes was tellin the ref to stop it and when he didnt he was just hittin ali with tender touches, or thats what it looked like to me.

Dempsey-Willard was a definite **** kicking. 3 rounds of one-sided pounding which left Willard with several injuries.

Demorak
03-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Dempsey vs Willard most brutal one sided fight I've ever seen....and Willard showed a huge heart....he got up everytime

SuzieQ49
03-13-2006, 06:54 PM
dempsey-willard
schmelling-louis II

are the clear two choices

others

marciano-charles I- charles suffered horrible damage, did u ever see his face after the fight?

louis-godoy II - take a look at godoys face after

frazier-foreman- more of a blowout than a beating

ali-terrell- terrell took a horrible for 15 rounds, beating including bad damages, especially to his eye

holmes- cobb- one of the most one sided fights in 15 round history, cobb took way too much unecassary punishment

liston-de john

schmeling-louis I

patterson-jackson II- jackson took a HORRIBLE beating, that prompted his liscense to get suspended. jackson was down 7 times and never won any of the first 10 rounds

patterson-machen- machen took a terrible one sided beating being floored 4 or 5 times, and never being in control at any point in the 12 rounds. patterson toyed with machen and beat the **** out of him over 12. machens face was a mess. patterson carried him in the last couple rounds.

marciano-lastarza II- lastarza suffered brokene bones and blood vessels in his arms requiring 6 different surgeries.

tyson-berbick

frazier-ellis I

lewis-tyson- if it had been a prime tyson, the result would have been the exact opposite of what happened

bowe-holyfield I- holy took a horrible pounding

schmeling-walker

baer-schmeling

louis-galento- you can see tony's shattered face covered with blood on the final knockdown

louis-uzcuden

ali-williams

Dempsey 1919
03-13-2006, 07:09 PM
no one in his or her right mind would pick any other fight than willard-dempsey, unless you've never seen the fight. willard suffered a broken jaw, two fractured ribs, and 5 missing teeth! nothing comes close, period. why did people vote for other choices? i hope it's because they never saw the fight.

http://boxrec.com/media/images/thumb/b/b3/325px-Dempsey.Willard.jpg
http://www.profibox.hu/image_upload/dempseywillard.jpg
http://www.thesweetscience.com/images/3487/dempsey_willard_240x230_082405.jpg
http://coxscorner.tripod.com/Images/dempsey_willard3c.jpg

Marvelous63
03-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Although your probably right with Dempsey vs Willard, i cant get foreman fraizer out of my mind. It was such a shock, and even in a short time, Foreman really layed a beating on Fraizer

The Noose
03-14-2006, 04:47 AM
no one in his or her right mind would pick any other fight than willard-dempsey, unless you've never seen the fight. willard suffered a broken jaw, two fractured ribs, and 5 missing teeth! nothing comes close, period. why did people vote for other choices? i hope it's because they never saw the fight.

I chose Foreman Frazier.

Although Dempsy inflicted a huge amount of damage on Willard.
To see such a great champion as Frazier, who had always been considered a great KO fighter, being KD so many times, and spitting up blood, was horrible and devastating to watch.

Basically, Frazier is considered a GREAT heavywieght, unlike Willard, plus he was in his prime, being beat the **** out of, and embarrsed.

Foreman is scary to watch in that fight. He looks like every fighters worst nightmare.

Dempsey 1919
03-14-2006, 02:07 PM
I chose Foreman Frazier.

Although Dempsy inflicted a huge amount of damage on Willard.
To see such a great champion as Frazier, who had always been considered a great KO fighter, being KD so many times, and spitting up blood, was horrible and devastating to watch.

Basically, Frazier is considered a GREAT heavywieght, unlike Willard, plus he was in his prime, being beat the **** out of, and embarrsed.

Foreman is scary to watch in that fight. He looks like every fighters worst nightmare.

but dempsey was worse. foreman is bigger than frazier, so that shouldn't be that much of a suprise. willard was 5 inches taller than dempsey and almost 60lbs. heavier! and willard wasn't a *****cat. he killed a fighter in 1913 with one uppercut! and just to watch a big powerful hw champion get destroyed and rendered defenseless by a much smaller man is just mesmorizing!no one had ever seen someone fight like that before; just crouch down and then explode with punches and to kill and destroy your opponent. that was classic!

Southpaw Stinger
03-14-2006, 02:16 PM
but dempsey was worse. foreman is bigger than frazier, so that shouldn't be that much of a suprise. willard was 5 inches taller than dempsey and almost 60lbs. heavier! and willard wasn't a *****cat. he killed a fighter in 1913 with one uppercut! and just to watch a big powerful hw champion get destroyed and rendered defenseless by a much smaller man is just mesmorizing!no one had ever seen someone fight like that before; just crouch down and then explode with punches and to kill and destroy your opponent. that was classic!

I obviously voted for Demspey vs willard. Willard was rumbled man rumbled! Demspey was actually the slight favourite to win that fight so it wasn't a huge underdog story. It's mainly physically impressive because of how big willard was!

Kid Achilles
03-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Not only how big he was but also how durable. When Willard fought Johnson he took everything the old master could dish out without taking a backwards step. Johnson's punches (and despite being a defensive fighter, Johnson could really punch) did not have their usual effect on Willard, and this Johnson, although older and slower, was very big and strong.

Gunboat Smith, one of the more feared punchers of his era, said that he hit Willard with his bet shot and "his hair moved a little, that's about it" (paraphrasing that as I don't have the quote in front of me).

Willard was huge but unlike similary sized Carnera and Lewis, he had a great chin. The way Dempsey beat him around the ring, whipping him around like a rag doll in a child's hands, was one of the most impressive displays of P4P punching power in boxing history. Willard swore that Dempsey's gloves were loaded until his death because he did not believe that any human being could punch with such force.

He's largely overlooked now, but in his own times Dempsey was thought to be an almost supernatural being. Max Schmeling once described him as appearing to have hailed from another planet due to the way he punched.

Anyway, I don't think the other listed beatings come close except for maybe Louis-Schmeling II and Foreman-Frazier.

The Noose
03-14-2006, 09:56 PM

True.

But i had just watched Foreman Frazier, and i hadnt watched it in a long time.
So, im biased. Watching Foreman beat up Frazier, Norton and Chuvalo, makes Ali's win seem like a miracle.

TheGreat1
03-14-2006, 10:02 PM
i've never seen the Jack Dempsey-Jess Willard 1919 fight, but among th eothers i went with Holmes vs. Ali and also Toney vs. Holyfield. both where very sad fights to watch.

Da Iceman
03-14-2006, 10:18 PM
i dont know who voted for tyson vs. spinks. i dont consider a 1 minute ko in round 1 a beating, and he didnt have a broken or fractured bone to show for it.

Dempsey 1919
11-04-2006, 06:27 PM
bump......

Verstyle
11-04-2006, 06:48 PM
tyson vs. biggs should have been in there.cause tyson murdered his ass all threw that fight and even toyed with him and took his time to k.o him

The Raging Bull
11-04-2006, 08:16 PM
I went with Joe Louis against Schmelling. That is one of the worst beatings I've watched in boxing. Louis just pummeled him!

jason100x
11-06-2006, 12:31 PM
There are some great choices there and I was thinking of either Louis-Schmelling 2 or Dempsey-Willard, but the Dempsey-Willard was more sustained for a longer beating so I picked that one.

K-DOGG
11-06-2006, 12:38 PM
which is it?

Has to be Dempsey-Willard. Jack beat Jess down 7 times in the first round....they would have stopped it under today's rules.

It was a slaughter.

BuddyChacon
11-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Has to be Dempsey-Willard. Jack beat Jess down 7 times in the first round....they would have stopped it under today's rules.

It was a slaughter.

Willard lost teeth I think and had a broken jaw, eye socket and ribs. It is the worst hands down. Dempsey was a madman that night, and noone could have took that beating and survived. Willard was one tough cookie to make it out of that round.

jason100x
11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
It was amazing that Willard actually lived into old age after that beatdown.

Mr. Ryan
11-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Larry Holmes' beating of Randall "Tex" Cobb was the most violent I've ever seen. Cobb was beaten ruthlessly for 15 rounds but managed to stay up. He was a tough guy with little talent. As Teddy Atlas beautifully put it, "A Major League Catcher". Howard Cossell, so disgusted with this mismatch, he quit announcing boxing afterwards.

Mike Tyson's pounding of Pinklon Thomas was especially brutal, maybe his most vicious. The last sequence of rocking blows before Thomas was stopped was savage.

Muhammad Ali's malice in the Ernie Terrell and Floyd Patterson fights was unparralled at that time. Ali was a master so in charge of his craft, he was just brutal to both men. Patterson later said that he was hoping that Ali would land one vicious shot and blow him away after the 6th. Cold I tell you, cold.

Jack Johnson's brutal pounding of Jim Jeffries early last century was another malicious exhibition. Jeffries took off over 100 pounds for this fight, and he said he wanted to punish Johnson to show that the white man was superior to black people (Rolls my eyes). He entered the ring to a nice little diddy entitled "Every black person looks alike", which showed how disgusting a person Jeffries was. It didn't matter to Johnson, he made Jeffries his ***** all night until the cops themselves intervened, not wanting to see a white man get killed by a colored person.

Bucktown Beast
11-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Vitali vs Corrie Sanders was one of the most one sided drubbings I've seen in a while.

Mr. Ryan
11-07-2006, 06:39 PM
Andrew Golata put some serious punishment on Riddick Bowe in their two fights also. That was disheartening to watch.

dempsey1919
11-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Dempsey Willard is by far the worct beat down in HW History Willard sufferd a crushed cheack bone jaw broke in 7 places several broken ribs lost 4 teeth lost hearing in his right ear visited the canves 7 times in the first round

Mr. Ryan
11-07-2006, 07:08 PM
Dempsey Willard is by far the worct beat down in HW History Willard sufferd a crushed cheack bone jaw broke in 7 places several broken ribs lost 4 teeth lost hearing in his right ear visited the canves 7 times in the first round

That was some kind of vicious beating he laid on Willard, Willard was just walking around without a prayer getting the living **** beat out of him. They were pulling Willard's teeth from his ass that night.

dempsey1919
11-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Bear Carnera also deserves to be Mentioned

Mr. Ryan
11-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Bear Carnera also deserves to be Mentioned

That fight was as sloppy and ruthless as they come. Max Bear was a big puncher, just had no sharpness in him at all. He put it on Carnerra something vicious that night though, really bad.

Animal Squabbs
11-08-2006, 03:51 AM
Lennox Lewis vs Michael Grant should be on that list.

Mr. Ryan
11-08-2006, 06:35 PM
Lennox Lewis vs Michael Grant should be on that list.

That was a blowout, it wasn't a sustained beating.

King Reese
11-08-2006, 07:13 PM
I voted for Ali vs. Terrel

Brockton Lip
11-08-2006, 09:09 PM
I voted for Holmes/Ali.
Physically, Dempsey/Willard was a massacre, but Holmes/Ali was emotionally more upsetting for me and showed The Greatest taking a heavy beating. Dempsey/Willard didn't have the emotional significance for me.

Brassangel
11-08-2006, 10:22 PM
I would say that Dempsey vs. Willard would be the consensus #1 massacre in heavyweight history. One man stood there, taking unprepared-for shots over and over again, from a man who had vicious power, and was fighting in the only zone on planet earth that day.

holmes- cobb- one of the most one sided fights in 15 round history, cobb took way too much unecassary punishment

That's awesome! I was hoping that someone who bring this up. It's rather entertaining to watch actually, just because Cobb would end up on Ace Ventura: Pet Detective years later. But seriously, this was a pounding.

I suppose we could add another to this list if Tyson actually fought that woman champion...sad really.

Frazier vs. Foreman I was disheartening, especially since Frazier's my favorite all-time heavyweight.

A lot of good choices here.

Popeye
11-10-2006, 12:37 AM
Dempsey Vs. Willard hands down...willard was pulp after that fight...

Baer put a good beating on Primo Carnera, one sided as all get out...

Dempsey 1919
03-04-2007, 01:30 AM
bump.........

bill1234
03-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Holmes vs Cobb was the worst.:blackeye: :chairshot :dead1: :owned: